Press conference 4/11 ( updated )

JamboSpur

6 hours ago, Pants Shaton said:

Another point: 

The number of ****ing idiotic posts on this thread that would have been avoided by just watching the 15 minutes of the press conference which is free on Hearts TV.  FFS.

:spoton: x 1,000,000

Some people can't seem to give it up now that Levein has been punted, still want to cling on to deluded conspiracy theories and twist every word that Ann Budge says to suit their paranoid agendas.  Either that or they are just morons.

He has been relieved of his duties as manager, and as Director of Football and is no longer on the Board, the Director of Football role has been discontinued, we are going to appoint a Sporting Director but Levein will not be the Sporting Director, nor will he be involved in the decision to appoint the new manager.  The interim manager will report to the CEO as will the new manager. 

He will remain until his contract expires to work with the Executive team in helping formulate the new structure - key words are 'work with the Executive team' he's not part of the Executive team and has no authority, he's simply offering his advice.  Same thing when Ann says she may seek his opinion re the new manager.  Some idiots seem to equate seeking his opinion with letting him make the decision.  She will no doubt seek many peoples opinions before deciding who the new manager will be, but the final decision will be for her and the Board.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• RobNox

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

The best CEO in Scottish football in my life time had zero football knowledge. Just an astute businessman, who managed to cut out the Background noise from supporters during his time in charge (and as majority shareholder). During that time he was constantly criticised. Amazingly now 20+ years on that group of fans seem to forget how they treated him as they finally realised without him they wouldn’t have had a club. Maybe history will repeat itself 

Would you be referring to 'the bunnet' by any chance?

27 minutes ago, RobNox said:

:spoton: x 1,000,000

Some people can't seem to give it up now that Levein has been punted, still want to cling on to deluded conspiracy theories and twist every word that Ann Budge says to suit their paranoid agendas.  Either that or they are just morons.

He has been relieved of his duties as manager, and as Director of Football and is no longer on the Board, the Director of Football role has been discontinued, we are going to appoint a Sporting Director but Levein will not be the Sporting Director, nor will he be involved in the decision to appoint the new manager.  The interim manager will report to the CEO as will the new manager. 

He will remain until his contract expires to work with the Executive team in helping formulate the new structure - key words are 'work with the Executive team' he's not part of the Executive team and has no authority, he's simply offering his advice.  Same thing when Ann says she may seek his opinion re the new manager.  Some idiots seem to equate seeking his opinion with letting him make the decision.  She will no doubt seek many peoples opinions before deciding who the new manager will be, but the final decision will be for her and the Board.

You can't understand why some fans are a bit sceptical after the power that he has had for the last 5 years?  We will be less cynical when we see that the new manager is a fresh start.  Until then some fans are wary.  Do you think they are feeling like this for no reason?  I'll completely belief them when I see that it is a fresh start.  Look what happened when we sacked cathro and were looking for a new manager.  A lot of fans thought she wasn't being completely honest there.  You're another poster that is angrier with the fans than you are with the people who have got us into this state.  I'll relax when the new manager is in place with a new coaching team.  If someone like McPhee is given the director of sport role, then it'll look like a levein appointment.  Only a fresh start will get rid of fans scepticism.  They have justifiably lost the trust of a lot of fans and it's going to take action rather than words to get it back.  I'm going to wait and see before I belief it. 

Do you know who the executive team will be?

Edited by FruitJuice

6 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Correct Mrs Budge deserves credit for being honest enough to say she's no football expert 

Wish some of our current players could be equally honest.😂

SectionDJambo
4 hours ago, RobNox said:

They actually "booed" him when he was unfurling the league flag.

Lifted a basket case club, completely dominated by Rangers, out of mediocrity into what they are now, with a new stadium and regular domestic success. His dismissive attitude towards "the 3 amigos" didn't go down well with the GFITW.

I wonder what they think of him now, if they ever do think of what he did for them?

A prime example of how stupid and short sighted football fans can be. Despite the mistakes that some think Ann Budge has made along the way, let's not copy their ignorance of the bigger picture, and get behind her attempts to put things right.

For me it's just been a relief levein has finally gone. For others it has become what am I going to moan about now. Budge, McPhee then the new manager then back to budge and still sprinkle in some Levein. 

The press conference was just another say a lot without saying anything type conference that football people have to do. They won't say everything people want to hear, especially when you are looking for issues with everything.

Fortunately the noisy ones on here do not represent anyone but themselves.

4 hours ago, RobNox said:

Exactly.

Parallels with CL and Jock Brown too. The feeling of fans was a Stubborn owner at the time  wouldn’t get rid of the person they felt was holding club back. 

I simply cannot see Levein being satisfied with such a reduced role at the club, given the power he had. 

Not sure how it will pan out but I suspect he may leave by Christmas, possibly as soon as the Head Coach is in place. 

jambogirlglasgow
9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is news to everyone who has been following football for more than 5 minutes. Owners and CEOs are notorious for knowing nothing more about football than any fan, but for believing they do. A CEO's job is the money and business side, not the day to day. 

Budge should be praised for not acting like she knows what she's doing in a football sense like so many others. Vlad, Robinson and Mercer for example. I also suspect that because she's big enough to admit other folk know more tan her and is willing to seek out advisors, she probably actually DOES know more than the typical owner and CEO.

Remember when Mercer used to be photographed with players who signed or extended their contracts? Or Romanov spouting off about all things football related? Budge wants nothing to do with that. She's smart enough to outsource things to better qualified people.

Exactly 

36 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They actually "booed" him when he was unfurling the league flag.

Lifted a basket case club, completely dominated by Rangers, out of mediocrity into what they are now, with a new stadium and regular domestic success. His dismissive attitude towards "the 3 amigos" didn't go down well with the GFITW.

I wonder what they think of him now, if they ever do think of what he did for them?

A prime example of how stupid and short sighted football fans can be. Despite the mistakes that some think Ann Budge has made along the way, let's not copy their ignorance of the bigger picture, and get behind her attempts to put things right.

This.

10 hours ago, Rudy T said:

She was asked a question she answered it. She said she’d ask his opinion which given the guys been in football for 40 years isn’t a bad thing. He doesn’t have the final say and I’m sure the decision will sit with more than just AB. I just think too many people are getting wound up for no reason. Let’s see who lands the jobs and judge then, tbh we don’t have much choice.

The main point is, she made it clear in the press conference that Levein would have no involvement in the recruitment, then 24 hours later, said she may ask for his opinion.  That is involvement, no matter how small.   She would not ask him, if she has no intention of taking it into account. 

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, DarioHMFC said:

I tell you what, though, the quicker we get someone in and can move forward from all this pish the better. This place is like Groundhog Day. Same shite spouted day in and day out by the same folk. Been like that for months. 

Is there room on your train for me?

August Landmesser
10 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

It’s almost as if queen Ann regards the fans as idiots

:lol:

Tbf, judging from some of the posts in this thread, lots of them are.

Edited by August Landmesser

August Landmesser
10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You absolutely need a CEO with a good knowledge of football.

I have a good knowledge of football, would you want me as CEO?

I have literally no knowledge of being a CEO, mind but I'm sure I can pick it up in between watching Soccer Saturday and playing Fifa.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I have a good knowledge of football, would you want me as CEO?

I have literally no knowledge of being a CEO, mind but I'm sure I can pick it up in between watching Soccer Saturday and playing Fifa.

There are some really hard of thinking on here.

No I don’t want you as CEO because you’ve no experience of it and would clearly be clueless. It’s possible to have someone who has worked in both fields.

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

For me it's just been a relief levein has finally gone. For others it has become what am I going to moan about now. Budge, McPhee then the new manager then back to budge and still sprinkle in some Levein. 

The press conference was just another say a lot without saying anything type conference that football people have to do. They won't say everything people want to hear, especially when you are looking for issues with everything.

Fortunately the noisy ones on here do not represent anyone but themselves.

Your last sentence.   Hahaha  aye right.  I bet you good after typing that...

August Landmesser
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No I don’t want you as CEO because you’ve no experience of it and would clearly be clueless. It’s possible to have someone who has worked in both fields.

It is possible, but it's not essential. In fact, having someone with no football background might even be beneficial as they wouldn't be tempted to meddle.

What was Wallace Mercer's football background? Alan Burrows? Rod Petrie? Chris Robinson - we won a cup on his watch after all.

CEOs need good business heads first, second and third. 

30 minutes ago, Paolo said:

The main point is, she made it clear in the press conference that Levein would have no involvement in the recruitment, then 24 hours later, said she may ask for his opinion.  That is involvement, no matter how small.   She would not ask him, if she has no intention of taking it into account. 

I get that, but I’m still not sure why there’s such an uproar. She said if there was a short list she might ask his opinion that’s it nothing more sinister. He’s not picking the manager, he won’t be the boss and he’ll be gone by the end of the season. I’m as frustrated as everyone about the last year but as it stands I’m not losing my shit over press conferences. I just want the right people appointed. No one including AB at this stage knows who the new man is, applications close Friday and the process begins.

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Ah! Suddenly a lot of comments on here become much clearer. You are talking about Donald Ford, aren’t you?

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ah! Suddenly a lot of comments on here become much clearer. You are talking about Donald Ford, aren’t you?

Donald Ford is far to intelligent to take any job at Hearts in an official capacity. Donald does all his best work behind the scenes and out the limelight and firing line.

Just now, John Findlay said:

Donald Ford is far to intelligent to take any job at Hearts in an official capacity. Donald does all his best work behind the scenes and out the limelight and firing line.

He was involved in FoH at its inception I believe? Successful businessman and Football person. Fits the criteria of what DtD was hinting at. I suspect he’s who he had in mind.

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He was involved in FoH at its inception I believe? Successful businessman and Football person. Fits the criteria of what DtD was hinting at. I suspect he’s who he had in mind.

Possibly but Donald will not take it. He prefers to be a behind the scenes person. I personally am more than happy for that to continue.

Edited by John Findlay

40 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Budge has over 5 years experience as a football CEO for a top tier team. How much experience are you looking for?

10 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

I think she should be offered a place on the board after March, but should step down as CEO.

Imo, three times now she's put her close relationship with Levein before the good of the club. Firstly he should not have been manager, DoF and board member simultaneously. Secondly she would have emptied him sooner if they hadn't been so close. And now she's kept him floating about the club like Banquo's ghost, when by her own measure he's been a failure.

He has not been a failure in the role he was originally employed for, in fact he has been a success. 

Just now, XB52 said:

He has not been a failure in the role he was originally employed for, in fact he has been a success. 

His original role included overseeing all football matters. The first team is part of that. He’s failed.

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

What exactly did he succeed with?

he failed to direct the Football department in a successful direction, has been the worst manager ever and we’re still to see if youth academy is a success, my feeling is it will be no more than we have always had.

hes failed in everything except the first season in gaining promotion.

1 minute ago, Jambomb said:

What exactly did he succeed with?

he failed to direct the Football department in a successful direction, has been the worst manager ever and we’re still to see if youth academy is a success, my feeling is it will be no more than we have always had.

hes failed in everything except the first season in gaining promotion.

He had to start our whole football structure from nothing as it had been totally neglected. Even his biggest critics, apart from the experts on here, agree he deserves great credit for building up the whole football department. of course he failed ultimately as manager 

46 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He was involved both times for saving Hearts,first time he kept calling Wallace mercer to save the club,second time

Part of the team negotiating a deal to save Hearts again! A lot of fans should be thankful he is a Hearts man!

33 minutes ago, ford donald said:

He was involved both times for saving Hearts,first time he kept calling Wallace mercer to save the club,second time

Part of the team negotiating a deal to save Hearts again! A lot of fans should be thankful he is a Hearts man!

Yeah, I was aware that he had been doing his bit behind the scenes for a long time with Hearts. I remember he was involved with FoH early doors but stepped down once things had started moving forward. He is the only person that I can think of from a Hearts background who fits DtD's description of a successful business person with a football background.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

33 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yeah, I was aware that he had been doing his bit behind the scenes for a long time with Hearts. I remember he was involved with FoH early doors but stepped down once things had started moving forward. He is the only person that I can think of from a Hearts background who fits DtD's description of a successful business person with a football background.

Yes,Don't know if he would be interested in the post,he was very much involved in photography,certainly he is someone

Who would give 100% to his job,maybe at the wrong age,now.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He is also a bit old. Not being ageist but he is 75! 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

He is also a bit old. Not being ageist but he is 75! 

That’s young by today’s standard.

:P

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s young by today’s standard.

:P

Young mans game though. Next you will be saying he should be on the bench on Saturday 🤪

Edited by soonbe110

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Young mans game though. Next you will be saying he should be on the bench on Saturday 🤪

:laugh:
if you’re good enough.

jack D and coke
13 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's unfair ! He has rebuilt the academy from basically scratch 

Ok. Can you explain what that means? I’m not trying to be an arse in any way here btw. How come we had no academy or one that needed completely rebuilt but better players - and more of them - came through? We’ve spent nearly £5m and we’ve had half a dozen games out of Cochrane and McDonald and now we have Hickey who looks like we’re going to ruin by playing him all over the shop. 

I keep hearing this Levein has rebuilt the club. Imo we’re all over the place and staring down the barrel of relegation if we don’t get a grip of things. 
I honestly want him out. Full stop. 
I have no hate for the man or anything like that but he needs to go away from Hearts and it needs to be now and let us try pick up the pieces with fresh voices and input and maybe in time he’ll be welcomed back. This shambles is all on his watch and still people are saying he’s doing great things. 
It’s proper wild. 

Edited by jack D and coke

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Ok. Can you explain what that means? I’m not trying to be an arse in any way here btw. How come we had no academy or one that needed completely rebuilt but better players - and more of them - came through? We’ve spent nearly £5m and we’ve had half a dozen games out of Cochrane and McDonald and now we have Hickey who looks like we’re going to ruin by playing him all over the shop. 

I keep hearing this Levein has rebuilt the club. Imo we’re all over the place and staring down the barrel of relegation if we don’t get a grip of things. 
I have no hate for the man or anything like that but he needs to go away from Hearts and it needs to be now and let us try pick up the pieces with fresh voices and input and maybe in time he’ll be welcomed back. This shambles is all on his watch and still people are saying he’s doing great things. 
It’s proper wild. 

I think you are looking at the first team (which is not in a good place just now) rather than the club as a whole

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I think you are looking at the first team (which is not in a good place just now) rather than the club as a whole

I appreciate the club is doing well off the field. That’s purely down to Ann Budge. 
The entire football side, IMO, is a bit of a shambles. That rests on his toes. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s proper wild. 

The academy was totally neglected by romanov and had to be basically started from scratch ! It won't be for at least another couple of years until we see the next batch of youngsters coming through that Craig levein and the coaches started with as 12 year olds 5 years ago 

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The academy was totally neglected by romanov and had to be basically started from scratch ! It won't be for at least another couple of years until we see the next batch of youngsters coming through that Craig levein and the coaches started with as 12 year olds 5 years ago 

They've also had five years with those who were 14/15 when they took over.  A handful of games between two players and hickey isnt a good return.  I think we should've had more from the academy than we have.  We have been riddled with injuries and still they weren't deemed good enough for the first team

We should've had a better return by now. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

They've also had five years with those who were 14/15 when they took over.  A handful of games between two players and hickey isnt a good return.  I think we should've had more from the academy than we have.  We have been riddled with injuries and still they weren't deemed good enough for the first team

We should've had a better return by now. 

That's unfair ! We've had plenty of kids from the academy have first team opportunities but the problem is we've signed far too many duds instead of sticking with youngsters but I still say the kids that we signed 5 years ago as 12 year olds will be very good in a couple of years 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That doesn’t answer my question though bud. If it was so badly neglected why was there better - and more - players coming through before Levein completely rebuilt it? Even when he brings players in they get dropped pretty quickly for his utter dross signings. 
£5m we’ve spent nearly on this nearly. 
Jam tomorrow? 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, jack D and coke said:

That doesn’t answer my question though bud. If it was so badly neglected why was there better - and more - players coming through before Levein completely rebuilt it? Even when he brings players in they get dropped pretty quickly for his utter dross signings. 
£5m we’ve spent nearly on this nearly. 
Jam tomorrow? 

The last group to come through were the likes of paterson , walker , Nicholson, billy king etc but below that the academy had been neglected so there was nothing there at all 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's unfair ! We've had plenty of kids from the academy have first team opportunities but the problem is we've signed far too many duds instead of sticking with youngsters but I still say the kids that we signed 5 years ago as 12 year olds will be very good in a couple of years 

You're probably right.  Though if the youngster were any good and we've signed too many duds, there is no reason they couldn't take their chance in the first team when given it. If they got then at 15, then surely they've had enough time to coach them to be good players.  

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, FruitJuice said:

You're probably right.  Though if the youngster were any good and we've signed too many duds, there is no reason they couldn't take their chance in the first team when given it. If they got then at 15, then surely they've had enough time to coach them to be good players.  

The problem with the kids taking there chance is the last couple of years when they've came in we've mostly been playing rubbish with no confidence which not time to throw kids in and also the fact that even if they came in and played well they'd be out again anyway because our squads been massive with the amount of duds we've been signing since the day cathro walked through the door

jack D and coke

One thing about the academy is every single scout should be shown the door for the fact we have nobody better to stick up front than Steven MacLean. 
What is it with this country that we have nobody to score goals? What are we doing to our young boys that ensures we literally produce zero strikers anymore?

We_are_the_Hearts
Just now, jack D and coke said:

One thing about the academy is every single scout should be shown the door for the fact we have nobody better to stick up front than Steven MacLean. 
What is it with this country that we have nobody to score goals? What are we doing to our young boys that ensures we literally produce zero strikers anymore?

Add Centre Halfs to that as well. The current system just produces loads of similar players IMO. Once the 4, 5, 7 and 9 a sides have been completed the boys are in secondary school and are already shaped as players. There is a real lack of out and out centre halfs or strikers.

Fort Vallance
11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Kids these days are watching their idols in the English Premier. and Champions League where the midfielders stroll around looking like pop stars and taking very little responsibility. 

24 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The problem with the kids taking there chance is the last couple of years when they've came in we've mostly been playing rubbish with no confidence which not time to throw kids in and also the fact that even if they came in and played well they'd be out again anyway because our squads been massive with the amount of duds we've been signing since the day cathro walked through the door

So Levein has done amazingly to build up the academy but when it’s time for players first team chance the same Levein gives them a couple of games before bombing them out for complete duds on good money.  That suggests to me he has his own interests over any academy prospect.  How could the same Craig Levein convince a parent to get his boy to sign for Hearts when it’s been shown he didn’t give much of a chance at all to past academy graduates over his own vested interests when he was manager?  Will he tell parents the first team coach will do the complete opposite of him personally and that’s why to sign with the club now? 

20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

A very fair point.  If Scotland had Lewendowski then we would have qualified for a tournament by now.