• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• Agentjambo

• davemclaren

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, Wee man said:

Tell me a German who has ever played for Hearts never mind managed them , not happening. 

How many Germans had managed Liverpool before Jurgen Klopp? How many Portuguese has managed hearts before Paulo Sergio, ? Add to that we’ve had a Hungarian, Lithuanian and A Russian.

he may not be the manager but it won’t be becuase he’s german

36 minutes ago, Wee man said:

Tell me a German who has ever played for Hearts never mind managed them , not happening. 

Werner Berger was Csaba’s assistant. He was a bit German

44 minutes ago, Wee man said:

didn;t denis prychenenko (sp) have a german passport?

kingantti1874

Thing with Stendel, to get him I think we’d need to move really really fast.. and I don’t think we are going to do that.

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

Was just about to type that.

He didn’t just have a German passport - he was German!

Just now, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

wasn't sure but did think that

Just now, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Some free kick on him aswel 

58 minutes ago, Wee man said:

Erm, do Austrians count? They speak German.

Edited by steven_mck

19 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Aye, he needed it to go and retrieve the ball following that Hampden free kick!

19 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Represented Ukraine at u16 and u17 according to londonhearts, they have him as Ukrainian and Sowah as our only ever German.

21 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the one from the semi is still in orbit

I believe it met Mixu’s penalty, fell in love and had a couple of kids.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I believe it met Mixu’s penalty, fell in love and had a couple of kids.

Ditched Mixu and fell in love with Sam Cosgroves, but was just a fling before settling with Niall McGinn 

On 03/11/2019 at 17:10, Bongo 1874 said:

I stopped watching after 1m30s when the chairman asked him to give his football strategy and he pulled out his iPad!! Sound familiar?! 

I dont see the attraction in this guy at all. Got sacked after less than a year in Germany and got sacked in just over a year in England. 

2 managerial roles in 2 years doesnt seem to be the experienced manager Ann is looking for. This one seems too much of a gamble and we need to get it right this time. 

I like the sound of his footballing philosophy but getting Barnsley promoted to the Championship is arguably on a par with Robbie Neilson getting Hearts promoted and there isn't a great clamour to get him back. Not sure he is either the 'very experienced' or 'big name' that the Board are looking for.

50 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ditched Mixu and fell in love with Sam Cosgroves, but was just a fling before settling with Niall McGinn 

👍

56 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I like the sound of his footballing philosophy but getting Barnsley promoted to the Championship is arguably on a par with Robbie Neilson getting Hearts promoted and there isn't a great clamour to get him back. Not sure he is either the 'very experienced' or 'big name' that the Board are looking for.

Something Jack Ross failed to do with vastly superior resources.

I like the look of the guy, I think he could offer a lot of what the fans are looking for. Factually, a guy like Moyes is out of our price range, so what do folk want? McInnes who can take you to about third? Can't take you into Europe effectively. Robinson who hasn't done as well as folk like to believe. Motherwell are not dirt poor as the narrative likes to go (don't get me wrong, not flush with cash either but relative to St Mirren, St Johnstone etc. they do okay). 

I want someone I believe can take the club to the next level. Implement a coherent footballing strategy, get us competing at the right end of the table and in europe. I think like most continental managers he would bring a level of professionalism that is sorely lacking in the Scottish game. From that video the players seemed entirely invested in Stendels style of play and the fans too. 

His style of football is everything the fans have been crying out for. Aggressive high pressing fast attacking football. 

We are not a club that can afford everything. I believe this is as close the full package as we're ever going to get. 

2 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I stopped watching after 1m30s when the chairman asked him to give his football strategy and he pulled out his iPad!! Sound familiar?! 

I dont see the attraction in this guy at all. Got sacked after less than a year in Germany and got sacked in just over a year in England. 

2 managerial roles in 2 years doesnt seem to be the experienced manager Ann is looking for. This one seems too much of a gamble and we need to get it right this time. 

2 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Easy to sit there and judge when you don't know all the ins and outs but I'll fill you in with the facts 👍

In the summer Barnsley lost there back four they sold liam lindsay (centre back) for 2.03m to Stoke ethan pinnock(centre back) to Brentford for 3.02m Zeki Fryers(LeftBack) to Swindon,  Kieffer Moore (striker) to Wigan 2.43m and other players that were key to the promotion season 

Stendel asked to be backed and to get in experienced players to help with his youth players he got backed but had restrictions on signing anyone over the age of 25 as the board wanted him to sign players with sell on value he didn't agree with this and believed the club needed to have a balance of experience and youth ask any Barnsley fan and they are gutted he has been sacked and they lay the blame with the board how many clubs hold a leaving party for a manager that's just been sacked? 

Barnsleys board failed this guy big time and not only him there fans too 

To think making a profit of 2.75m through player sales is a good idea and not properly replace them with experience to make sure they stay up this season is absolutely criminal what was the point in Barnsley getting promoted in the first place the board have gave that man mission impossible not only that selling his best players for peanuts crazy 

How would we fair if we sold 5 of our best players look at the state we are in the now? 

Edited by Bongo 1874

I really like the sound of him although I would add a note of caution that you could easily have made at least as good a video about Paulo Sergio after he left us. 

Note - this is in no way a dig at Sergio which I would consider to be blasphemous.

Arthur Morgan
15 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I really like the sound of him although I would add a note of caution that you could easily have made at least as good a video about Paulo Sergio after he left us. 

Note - this is in no way a dig at Sergio which I would consider to be blasphemous.

Let's be honest though, we had a good squad when Sergio was in charge and we didn't exactly set the heather alight in the league that season. 

luckyBatistuta
On 03/11/2019 at 17:10, Bongo 1874 said:

Powerful high speed football 🙏🏻 I like the sound of the guy, a lot of passion there, something we have been sorely missing. Get him in, it can’t be any worse than what we have been getting served under Levein.

Schnell, Schnell, Schnell

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Easy to sit there and judge when you don't know all the ins and outs but I'll fill you in with the facts 👍

In the summer Barnsley lost there back four they sold liam lindsay (centre back) for 2.03m to Stoke ethan pinnock(centre back) to Brentford for 3.02m Zeki Fryers(LeftBack) to Swindon,  Kieffer Moore (striker) to Wigan 2.43m and other players that were key to the promotion season 

Stendel asked to be backed and to get in experienced players to help with his youth players he got backed but had restrictions on signing anyone over the age of 25 as the board wanted him to sign players with sell on value he didn't agree with this and believed the club needed to have a balance of experience and youth ask any Barnsley fan and they are gutted he has been sacked and they lay the blame with the board how many clubs hold a leaving party for a manager that's just been sacked? 

To think making a profit of 2.75m through player sales is a good idea and not properly replace them with experience to make sure they stay up this season is absolutely criminal what was the point in Barnsley getting promoted in the first place the board have gave that man mission impossible not only that selling his best players for peanuts crazy 

How would we fair if we sold 5 of our best players look at the state we are in the now? 

There's a strong case for saying that we're in this state because we've been missing at least 5 of our best players for most of this season and last. Injured or sold, it doesn't matter. If your best players are out and you can't afford to replace them with like for like your form will suffer. 

Seymour M Hersh

My opinion fwiw (absolutely nothing I know) is that he appears on paper to be exactly the type of manager we should be recruiting for all the comments above. However I fear Mrs Budge is going to go down the route of someone with years of experience but no great talent. I can understand why she'll do this after being bitten on the bum with the Cathro disaster but CL had years of experience and we've seen how well that ended for us! She needs to be bold in her appointment but I just think she'll go a version of safety first. 

Stendel would have a lot work with the players we have here but if he up for the challenge then he would be a good choice.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

My opinion fwiw (absolutely nothing I know) is that he appears on paper to be exactly the type of manager we should be recruiting for all the comments above. However I fear Mrs Budge is going to go down the route of someone with years of experience but no great talent. I can understand why she'll do this after being bitten on the bum with the Cathro disaster but CL had years of experience and we've seen how well that ended for us! She needs to be bold in her appointment but I just think she'll go a version of safety first. 

We've been bold twice with two first-timers in Neilson and Cathro. Then we went totally the other direction with Levein. I think/hope it'll be the middle ground this time. Good experience but still youngish and ambitious, and ideally knows Scottish football. Someone like Michael O'Neill or Steve Clarke basically (the Kilmarnock Clarke not the Scotland one).

The problem is that those managers are in high demand and are either in a good, well paid job already, requiring big compensation and a lot of persuasion to get them, or they are unemployed but waiting for the right (well paid) next opportunity.

The budget middle ground would be a Gary Holt or Stephen Robinson. I'd rather bring Robbo back to be honest or take a chance on someone like Stendel, even though his achievements don't look that much more impressive than Robbie Neilson's for us as someone else said (I'd also take Robbie back a heartbeat).

The days of tempting a highly rated manager from the English leagues to come here like we did with Joe Jordan are probably gone unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

The budget middle ground would be a Gary Holt or Stephen Robinson. I'd rather bring Robbo back to be honest or take a chance on someone like Stendel, even though his achievements don't look that much more impressive than Robbie Neilson's for us as someone else said (I'd also take Robbie back a heartbeat).

Robbie Neilson has to be up there as one of the most suitable candidates for the position as manager.

From the day he returned as a coach and then as manager results improved. A steady decline since he departed.

Intelligent, articulate, charismatic and an excellent coach and all-round top chap.

Robbie’s Hearts team would fly, unrestricted and unfettered by the hand of CL.

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Thanks for filling me in with the facts but I still don't get the clamour for this guy. 2 managerial roles at two different clubs in 2 years rings alarm bells for me. 

He sounds like he would be a bit of a gamble, which is not what we need just now.

Jambo in Yorkshire

Barnsley also sold their keeper in the summer.

There is a comparison with Robbie Neilson as he managed MK Dons in the same league and failed despite a decent budget.

Im certain Stendel would still be at Barnsley if they had kept last season’s team together.

They operate a model of developing players and then selling them for a profit. Maybe at the end of a promotion season they should have changed the plan?

He also responds to Stendel, Stendel give us a wave!

Edited by Jambo in Yorkshire
added new line

The Old Tolbooth

The more I see/hear of this guy, the more I'm convinced he would be the man for the job, go get him Budge!! 

Ann loves all community spirit type stuff as well and this guy seems to buy into being part of the community.Someone give Budge this guys number.

8 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

If this guy is as highly thought of as appears we would have to move quickly.

Especially now that our neighbours are now looking for a manager.

Mrs Budge has already said she expects a Sporting Director to be appointed before a manager is in place.

She also said at the HMSA meeting that their would be a mixture of board members plus FOH reps and some other trusted advisers helping to source the new appointment.

That doesn't sound like we are ready to 'swoop' for anyone. In fact it reeks of indecision and bowling club mentality. 

If this guy is all that we are going to lose him unless we get the finger out.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Robbie Neilson has to be up there as one of the most suitable candidates for the position as manager.

From the day he returned as a coach and then as manager results improved. A steady decline since he departed.

Intelligent, articulate, charismatic and an excellent coach and all-round top chap.

Robbie’s Hearts team would fly, unrestricted and unfettered by the hand of CL.

I agree. He was very comfortable in the role from day 1. Went away to test himself and sort of failed by comparison to when he was with us - although not dramatically - but Eddie Howe did that at bournemouth. Now he’s got them flying again.

sounds like an ideal guy for us. I would much rather have him than someone already known in Scotland....McCann, Robinson, Holt et al kinda meh for me.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Don't know why but I get the feeling Hibs will be looking at this guy as well.

Hibs will absolutely be looking at everyone we do. It's their thing. In fact, it's very likely why they sacked Heckingbottom when they did in case we do go after someone they want and they have to settle for their second choice, again.

kingantti1874

Why is anyone mentioning Gary Holt? Well known inside and outside of football circles that is NOT the man pulling the strings at Livingston.  

35 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hibs will absolutely be looking at everyone we do. It's their thing. In fact, it's very likely why they sacked Heckingbottom when they did in case we do go after someone they want and they have to settle for their second choice, again.

Maybe they will offer it to Levein.:laugh2:

39 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This.They will be worried about who we appoint. This guy seems to be a motivator and will totally buy into the need to cosign these a..holes  to the scrapheap every time we play them.

19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Why is anyone mentioning Gary Holt? Well known inside and outside of football circles that is NOT the man pulling the strings at Livingston.  

I've seen this mentioned before - who is really in charge there, if you're able to say publicly (PM if not?). Not doubting what you're saying, just don't know the details...

Fort Vallance
15 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

This.They will be worried about who we appoint. This guy seems to be a motivator and will totally buy into the need to cosign these a..holes  to the scrapheap every time we play them.

Let's not fall in to the same trap. Who cares what happens over there, let them wallow in their own shit. I know what you you mean about a motivator to get the best out of the current squad. However I'd hope he was more tactically forward thinking. If we want a motivator Gary Locke can sort that out for nothing.

• davemclaren locked this topic