• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• Agentjambo

• davemclaren

Phil D. Corners
12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He won English League One and managed in the Bundesliga ... A lot more than potential. Neilson had potential. This would be a very very exciting appointment.

He came second in League 1 and managed in the second Bundesliga.  

Absolute Scenes

Surely he can still sign with another team whilst awaiting a severance package from another club?? That wouldn’t surely stop him being approached?

He's the man I think a lot of us really want. Barnsley fans loved him and were gutted to see him go. The club I think were a bit knee jerk to sack him. Barnsley are a club who have always struggled in the Championship so I wouldn't read too much into that.

If the severance package could take some negotiation, I'd be more than happy to let Warnock take it til summer and Stendel from there.

To play devil's advocate, and I acknowledge that it was me that started the thread, a few questions:

-Does he have his own coaching staff and assistant that he would be looking to appoint?

-What is his player recruitment record like, does he have experience of signing and identifying players in the UK market?

-Is he hands on on the training pitch and has he improved existing players through his coaching?

-Has he worked with experienced senior pros like he would inherit at Hearts (Berra, Whelan and Naismith) and has he successfully been able to influence them to buy into his methods?

-Has he had a period of poor results and if so how did he react to that and turn it around?

-Would he be committed to the club for the next 2-3 years and does he intent on relocating to Edinburgh?

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Can he not manage us as an amateur or trialist until the end of the season?

😂

Great shout mate, we can pixellate him on the telly and get the guy in that used to do Gerry Adams voice in the 90s for all other media. Job done. 

3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

To play devil's advocate, and I acknowledge that it was me that started the thread, a few questions:

-Does he have his own coaching staff and assistant that he would be looking to appoint?

-What is his player recruitment record like, does he have experience of signing and identifying players in the UK market?

-Is he hands on on the training pitch and has he improved existing players through his coaching?

-Has he worked with experienced senior pros like he would inherit at Hearts (Berra, Whelan and Naismith) and has he successfully been able to influence them to buy into his methods?

-Has he had a period of poor results and if so how did he react to that and turn it around?

-Would he be committed to the club for the next 2-3 years and does he intent on relocating to Edinburgh?

Seriously.......

Who are you expecting to answer most of these questions ?

Don't know much about Stendel but I did read he accepted an invite from some fans to attend a leaving party at a local boozer for him after being sacked, big fan of that 😂 Still would like to see McPhee given a fair opportunity first, think if he's successful or not we can find the right man for the job and seems Stendel is a strong candidate for future.

8 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

When did we as Hearts fans start wanting to micro manage absolutely everything about the club?

rudi must stay

Stendel with Donald Park as assistant could work with Park's experience of our game. I think he would need that and we do too,  major part of the reason Cathro failed. 

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Seriously.......

Who are you expecting to answer most of these questions ?

You could have a go? :lol:

It was more to make the point that these are the kind of things that ideally we should be looking to investigate, as opposed to being seduced by a YouTube video that compared him to Klopp.

I think he is potentially exciting appointment as he offers something different to the depressing list of alternative candidates that are in the public domain. But to use a Rumsfeld-ism, there are a lot of known unknowns.

9 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Most of these questions will be asked by the board but they are obviously impressed with what they know of him already. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
43 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

No it isn't but this guys what we need. 100%, Ann will know that 

I was late to the party so to speak but fair play to other posters, he is the perfect appointment

38 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He won English League One and managed in the Bundesliga ... A lot more than potential. Neilson had potential. This would be a very very exciting appointment.

He didn't win any of his first 10 Championship matches this season, Heckingbottom arguably did better at Barnsley.

As I say I'm not against him, but I don't think its quite as exciting as some people are making out.

I would like to have seen more of Barnsley in action myself, fair enough if you both have

A few people have mentioned negotiating his pay off from Barnsley.  I don't understand why we would (or indeed should)?

Club sacks manager.  Manager gets rest of contract paid up or the amount as stipulated in contract.

Manager now a free agent, gets offered work, takes it.  Why should that affect his pay out from previous employer?  Unless in the contract I suppose, but I don't get it.

7 minutes ago, brux said:

When did we as Hearts fans start wanting to micro manage absolutely everything about the club?

I've already written a strongly worded letter, using cut up newspaper headline letters, demanding to be personally included on the interview panel so that these questions may be asked. :lol::

As I said in reply to others, it's simply a list of questions that it is probably in the clubs interest to establish the answer to as part of the interview process. 

Edited by Martin_T

1 minute ago, Boris said:

A few people have mentioned negotiating his pay off from Barnsley.  I don't understand why we would (or indeed should)?

Club sacks manager.  Manager gets rest of contract paid up or the amount as stipulated in contract.

Manager now a free agent, gets offered work, takes it.  Why should that affect his pay out from previous employer?  Unless in the contract I suppose, but I don't get it.

It makes no sense whatsoever 

34 minutes ago, Barack said:

"He wa shyte , sum think he led us tu 2 Wembley wins  , Wilson and Tom made that teeurm , all he did wa stand in technical area , then he wa allus moaning , answering phones /doing CEOs job etc , load ov ballax , Naeow I wunt want him back "

Translation:

"He was rather poor. People had extravagant expectations of visits to Wembley, but Wilson & Tom were the real inspirations behind the team.

He spent an inordinate amount of time standing around, and complaining profusely. I don't want him back."

Easy.👍🏻

Heckingbottom wasn’t well liked at Barnsley then. :laugh:

People saying that league 1 is crap football give it a break eh many teams in that division would give us a game and you know it christ it was only a few months ago the likes of Hamilton and Ross County nearly turned us over on our own patch 

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He didn't win any of his first 10 Championship matches this season, Heckingbottom arguably did better at Barnsley.

As I say I'm not against him, but I don't think its quite as exciting as some people are making out.

I would like to have seen more of Barnsley in action myself, fair enough if you both have

Heckingbottom was something like 1 win in 22 when he left Barnsley for Leeds. 

Barnsley have been up and down for a while.

Edited by Mikey1874

29 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

He came second in League 1 and managed in the second Bundesliga.  

Meant that he had won promotion from League One. I was at his first game as Hannover manager, you’ll need to fact check on that one!

On 31/10/2019 at 19:41, Martin_T said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Stendel?wprov=sfla1

Recently sacked by Barnsley, having got them promoted last season. Previous experience in the Bundesliga with Hannover. May be a stretch budget wise, but this is the kind of bold appointment I'd like to see us make.

Christ, yeah.  Now THAT would be a statement of intent.

7 minutes ago, Boris said:

He's not been sacked in the truest form of the word, he's effectively been placed on gardening leave until the end of this season which prevents him being employed elsewhere unless an agreement is reached.

Edited by Ribble

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Heckingbottom was something like 1 win in 22 when he left Barnsley for Leeds. 

Prior to that he could do no wrong. Similar pattern? Heckingbottom helped develop Ryan Kent, Oakwell for a period under his tenure was a place nobody wanted to go.

I would just be careful going overboard on a season coming out of League 1, when the other managers he was up against, have both since fell on their swords quickly this season.

On paper, looks as if he has an exciting style of play, but then so did Neil McCann, both found it hard to implement ultimately, with the tools they had.

Certainly would be an interesting choice, just not as convinced as others he is quite as good as we want to believe

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Boris said:

5 minutes ago, Jambos1983 said:

It makes no sense whatsoever 

If I've understood correctly he is still contracted by Barnsley so less sacked and more gardening leave until they negotiate something 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

If I've understood correctly he is still contracted by Barnsley so less sacked and more gardening leave until they negotiate something 

Ah. That makes more sense then

kingantti1874

Employ as trialist 😂 joking aside, I’m sure Barnsley would be keen to get him off payroll so dont think they be hard to deal with.. Stendel would maybe want the payoff though

10 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I've already written a strongly worded letter, using cut up newspaper headline letters, demanding to be personally included on the interview panel so that these questions may be asked. :lol::

As I said in reply to others, it's simply a list of questions that it is probably in the clubs interest to establish the answer to as part of the interview process. 

😂 1st part made me laugh.

5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

He's not be sacked in the truest form of the word, he's effectively been placed on gardening leave until the end of this season which prevents him being employed elsewhere unless an agreement is reached.

A bit like Super Ally at Sevco a couple of years ago ?

9 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Pay off, like a lot of things in life, are negotiated. 

For example instead of paying the remainder of contract up they often offer lump sums payments less than cost of contract. All other manners of ways pay off can be structured and other issues to be picked up ie. confidently, 

His employment status impacts the pay off due to the fact the settlement is effectively around loss of earnings. In very simple terms if he was due 500k from Barnsley for remainder of contract, but someone employed him for 200k a year Barnsley would only be liable for 300k as that’s his loss of earnings.

He will be trying to maximise his pay off and Barnsley will be trying to minimise. Any negotiation takes time and he would be a idiot, unless Hearts/a n other club  are offers more than he was on. 

It is not unique to football it’s pretty common in business as well, just with more ‘senior’ positions,

Thanks for the replies, makes much more sense to me know.  Ta.

As said, Stendel submitted his CV to the club some time ago. I was told then that Mrs Budge was wanting to talk to him but as of Sunday there had been no interview with him. That of course could/may have change/d.

As an aside, I hear Donald Park has sat in on the interviews that have been held this week. No idea who that has involved, sorry.

scott herbertson
Just now, Davie Deans said:

As said, Stendel submitted his CV to the club some time ago. I was told then that Mrs Budge was wanting to talk to him but as of Sunday there had been no interview with him. That of course could/may have change/d.

As an aside, I hear Donald Park has sat in on the interviews that have been held this week. No idea who that has involved, sorry.

Thanks. Quite possibly had to hold off talking to him until Barnsley situation clarified or talking through lawyers/ Barnsley first

40 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

-Does he have his own coaching staff and assistant that he would be looking to appoint? YES

-What is his player recruitment record like, does he have experience of signing and identifying players in the UK market? YES

-Is he hands on on the training pitch and has he improved existing players through his coaching? YES

-Has he worked with experienced senior pros like he would inherit at Hearts (Berra, Whelan and Naismith) and has he successfully been able to influence them to buy into his methods? YES

-Has he had a period of poor results and if so how did he react to that and turn it around? YES; SACKED

-Would he be committed to the club for the next 2-3 years and does he intent on relocating to Edinburgh? HE LOVES EDINBURGH AND SO DOES HIS WIFE AND KIDS (KRISTINA, GERHARDT AND DANIEL JR)

Done.

9 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Done.

Thank you I have a question

Is he coming? 

Just put YES, that's enough for me

Edited by lou

Like most on here, we don't really know that much about Stendel. However when you see some of the names being touted about you're thinking....fk sake, really!?

When Levein was relieved of his duties, Ann stated the type of person she's wanting in. She said that she wanted someone in that can improve the players already here, Barnsley players (and fans) said they were better under Stendel. She said she wanted someone who will encourage academy and youth players to force themselves into the first team. Stendel is a big fan of academy graduates and promoting youth. Then you add in stuff like playing a more attractive, attacking style game, coaching a different style, likely German and we know how controlled, well drilled and difficult to beat they can be. Then there's the non-fear factor of the old firm, something he's never had to deal with or probably given a stuff about in his life. We then come to other coaches as well as scouts throughout Europe whom he'll know so that offers connections for recruiting better quality players in the future.

There are a lot of very big clubs down south that's not in the Premier and most of them will and do under-achieve, including clubs in Barnsley's own league so Europe for the likes of them is almost out of the equation. What do we have in Scotland? The old firm and......the rest of us. Aberdeen are not even near the team they were a couple of seasons ago, Hibs are, well, just Hibs, the Dundee clubs aren't in the top league at the moment and the others just amble through, season after season. It wouldn't take an awful lot to get Hearts back up to where they would normally be in the top 3 or 4 and maybe Stendel with a completely different approach would be the difference. You bring someone like Cotterill in, then what? He gets to sign lower league players the standard that Heckingbottom brought into Hibs last summer? We need to look outside the box. No-one knows if Stendel or any other manager will be the answer but surely at the stage we're at right now, it's worth having a serious think about.

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Like most on here, we don't really know that much about Stendel. However when you see some of the names being touted about you're thinking....fk sake, really!?

When Levein was relieved of his duties, Ann stated the type of person she's wanting in. She said that she wanted someone in that can improve the players already here, Barnsley players (and fans) said they were better under Stendel. She said she wanted someone who will encourage academy and youth players to force themselves into the first team. Stendel is a big fan of academy graduates and promoting youth. Then you add in stuff like playing a more attractive, attacking style game, coaching a different style, likely German and we know how controlled, well drilled and difficult to beat they can be. Then there's the non-fear factor of the old firm, something he's never had to deal with or probably given a stuff about in his life. We then come to other coaches as well as scouts throughout Europe whom he'll know so that offers connections for recruiting better quality players in the future.

There are a lot of very big clubs down south that's not in the Premier and most of them will and do under-achieve, including clubs in Barnsley's own league so Europe for the likes of them is almost out of the equation. What do we have in Scotland? The old firm and......the rest of us. Aberdeen are not even near the team they were a couple of seasons ago, Hibs are, well, just Hibs, the Dundee clubs aren't in the top league at the moment and the others just amble through, season after season. It wouldn't take an awful lot to get Hearts back up to where they would normally be in the top 3 or 4 and maybe Stendel with a completely different approach would be the difference. You bring someone like Cotterill in, then what? He gets to sign lower league players the standard that Heckingbottom brought into Hibs last summer? We need to look outside the box. No-one knows if Stendel or any other manager will be the answer but surely at the stage we're at right now, it's worth having a serious think about.

Good post but has he applied?  Is he interested?

48 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Stendel with Donald Park as assistant could work with Park's experience of our game. I think he would need that and we do too,  major part of the reason Cathro failed. 

I think its extremely important that any new manager coming in gets to bring all his own staff with him. Our current staff shouldn't be forced upon any new manager.

The Treasurer

We are never going to please all the fans, no matter who we appoint, but reading this forum Stendel seems to be the candidate that would have more support than any of the others mentioned.

7 minutes ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

Sign him up and let's get moving up that league.

Wunderbar!

Edited by Hector Riva

I'd love Stendel but I just worry that he is clearly due a substantial payment from Barnsley that we wouldn't be able to match 

• davemclaren locked this topic