The Frenchman Returns

General Election 2019

Montgomery Brewster
6 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

So do I. A chimpanzee in a blue rosette would win here.

I think you mean a turd with a blue rosette

The Frenchman Returns

Midlothian 2017

Labour                                  Danielle Rowley      16,458
Scottish National Party     Owen Thompson    15,573
Conservative                        Chris Donnelly         11,521  
Liberal Democrat                 Ross Laird                 1,721

The Frenchman Returns

Linlithgow & Falkirk East 2017

Scottish National Party   Martyn Day            20,388      
Labour                              Joan Coombes        17,469   
Conservative                   Charles Kennedy      16,311    
Liberal Democrat            Sally Pattle                1,926    

The Mighty Thor
46 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

the me me me I am alright jack party.

A party that perfectly reflects a huge chunk of the UK's population and wider societal attitudes. 

ri Alban
8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

No, more like inaccurate, and old fashioned. 

Jacob Rees Mogg come on down!

Barack

Independent candidate for me, to try and oust the Labour waste of space currently inhabiting it.

Captain Sausage

Dominic Raab is my MP. Got 60+% of the vote last time with LDs in 2nd with 12%. 

Safe to say my vote won’t matter. 

DETTY29
4 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Post dog poo through his letter box on poliing day instead of casting a vote?

DETTY29
4 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

How come Irish citizens can vote n UK elections? Is it because NI citizens can take Irish citizenship if they want, but if they still reside in NI they should be able to vote in their "local" election? Can we vote in Irish elections?

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/register-vote-and-update-your-details

Ireland Act 1946?

Edited by DETTY29

Montgomery Brewster
59 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A party that perfectly reflects a huge chunk of the UK's population and wider societal attitudes. 

Correct

Captain Sausage
42 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Post dog poo through his letter box on poliing day instead of casting a vote?

I’d do a jobby through his letterbox but I believe he lives in a gated community where us mere plebs cannot access. 

A true man of the people. 

Mikey1874
48 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

How come Irish citizens can vote n UK elections? Is it because NI citizens can take Irish citizenship if they want, but if they still reside in NI they should be able to vote in their "local" election? Can we vote in Irish elections?

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/register-vote-and-update-your-details

We have a free relationship with Ireland that reflects our close links. Freedom of movement and voting reflect that. 

Before and apart from the Peace Agreement. 

Jambo-Jimbo
56 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Similar here, I'm in Mundell's constituency and he won with over a 9,000 majority or 49% of the vote, which is a huge margin for a constituency this size.

SNP came second with just over 30%, Labour & the Lib Dems are as well not bothering as they are a distant 3rd & 4th whose total votes combined were only very slightly more than Mundell's winning margin of 9,000.

Brighton Jambo
9 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

You mean 'England will decide". 

Scotland has influenced the election three times since 1945! 

Including the last one where if Scotland hadn’t returned 13 conservative MP’s we wouldn’t have had a conservative government.  

Cade

The Lord could still amend the bill and Boris can still vote against it at a deeper stage of the legislation and we end up with no election.

Watch this space.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Lord could still amend the bill and Boris can still vote against it at a deeper stage of the legislation and we end up with no election.

Watch this space.

The unelected House of Lords can amend the bill.

What a farce.

Boris

If the Conservative party wins the election and Johnson becomes Prime Minister with a working majority then the UK deserves all that it has coming to it.

Jambo, Goodbye
15 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Including the last one where if Scotland hadn’t returned 13 conservative MP’s we wouldn’t have had a conservative government.  

Who else would have been in government instead?

Ray Gin
1 minute ago, Boris said:

If the Conservative party wins the election and Johnson becomes Prime Minister with a working majority then the rest of the UK deserves all that it has coming to it.

FTFY because they won't win in Scotland and we won't deserve to be lumbered with the pricks yet again.

Boris
Just now, Ray Gin said:

FTFY because they won't win in Scotland and we won't deserve to be lumbered with the pricks yet again.

Fair point!

Jambo, Goodbye
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

After the majority voted to be "Better Together", I'm inclined to think Scotland gets what it deserves too  🙄

DETTY29
5 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

After the majority voted to be "Better Together", I'm inclined to think Scotland gets what it deserves too  🙄

Being treated with even more contempt as every day passes by is still Better Together?

Cade

Scotland voted 55% to remain in the UK but 62% to remain in the EU.

Square that circle, if you can.

Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Being treated with even more contempt as every day passes by is still Better Together?

That's what the 55% would say. But it's not what I said...

I'll rephrase, that 55% should get what they deserve 

AlimOzturk

Very much doubt it will be 55% once Biris Johnson and his cronies effectively being the UK to its knees if/once they get their way. The self proclaimed unionist party will be the party that rips the Heart right of it. 

Martin_T

Trivial things often influence the electorate. An English win in the RWC at the weekend could well lead to an increased sense of nationalism and a softening of floating voters attitudes towards Brexit, which would benefit the Tories. In Scotland the resurgence of Rangers has probably boosted the Unionist, pro-British vote, I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing someone who it's questionable as to what came first, their politics or their Rangers fandom.  

Looking at this objectively, Labour are not particularly attractive at the moment to the kind of voter that got them elected in 1997. The Lib Dems are not strong enough to achieve over 50 seats. It all points to a Conservative majority.

We better hope that Brexit does produce the sunlit uplands that all the available evidence suggests that it wont.

Ray Gin
22 minutes ago, Cade said:

Perhaps some of those who were deceived by the slithery Tories in indyref1 with their "devo max" lies had wised up to their bull**** by the Brexit referendum.

Edited by Ray Gin

Adam Murray
29 minutes ago, Cade said:

Which probably tells you that somewhere between 55% and 62% of Scottish voters are happy to stay in a Union of one kind or another.

It's not as simple as that though, as we all know.

More people in Scotland voted to leave the EU than voted for the SNP in the last GE, considering a lot of the SNP's manifesto at the last GE was about staying in the EU, how do we square that circle?

These are all things that have been discussed ad nauseam over the past few years, with 'facts and figures' from 'experts' to back up all sides of the argument..

dobmisterdobster
12 hours ago, Costanza said:

The most compelling liar?

The alternative is so much worse.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One things for sure, the people of Scotland hate the Tories even more.

Indeed, British Nationalsts/separatists are not that popular anymore.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Perhaps some of those who were deceived by the slithery Tories in indyref1 with their "devo max" lies had wised up to their bull**** by the Brexit referendum.

I hope so.

dobmisterdobster
43 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Tories never promised anything like Devo Max.

That was mostly Gordon Brown and Alastair Darling.

Cade

After doing some maths, it seems that at least 50 MPs from various parties are standing down and quitting politics at this election.

That's how toxic the state of UK politics has become.

Thommo414

I'll be voting SNP again. I legitimately would like Labour to win the whole thing but there's not a hope in hell they'll win the Edinburgh South West seat

Mikey1874
22 minutes ago, Cade said:

After doing some maths, it seems that at least 50 MPs from various parties are standing down and quitting politics at this election.

That's how toxic the state of UK politics has become.

There is always a turnover. Might not be any different to previous. 

But at least 2 MPs - Heidi Allan and Caroline Spelman - have said they are standing down at least in part due to threats and intimidation. 

Here's who we know so far

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cityam.com/general-election-these-are-the-mps-standing-down-at-the-next-election/amp/

Edited by Mikey1874

Cruyff Turn

I can’t stand any of them tbh, I’m not party political but it’ll be SNP for me as I want Independence ASAP, then hopefully Sturgeon and her pals will **** off. 

DETTY29
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

That's what the 55% would say. But it's not what I said...

I'll rephrase, that 55% should get what they deserve 

Sorry I was agreeing with you.

dobmisterdobster
18 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I can’t stand any of them tbh, I’m not party political but it’ll be SNP for me as I want Independence ASAP, then hopefully Sturgeon and her pals will **** off. 

No chance of that happening.

She will be the PM with Blackford or Cherry next in line.

coconut doug
40 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Which probably tells you that somewhere between 55% and 62% of Scottish voters are happy to stay in a Union of one kind or another.

It's not as simple as that though, as we all know.

More people in Scotland voted to leave the EU than voted for the SNP in the last GE, considering a lot of the SNP's manifesto at the last GE was about staying in the EU, how do we square that circle?

These are all things that have been discussed ad nauseam over the past few years, with 'facts and figures' from 'experts' to back up all sides of the argument..

No, at least 62% and probably a lot more are happy to "stay in a Union of one kind or another." 

There is no circle to square, things have moved on, we are in a different situation. It is a false comparison anyway. The SNP were not the only remain party in Scotland and all parties had significant numbers of remain and leave voters in their ranks. When it comes to an Indyref people who want independence will vote for independence whether or not we leave the EU.

What is becoming increasingly obvious is that a combination of leaving the EU, Boris Johnson, and right wing governments for the foreseeable future is weakening the resolve of all but a few of the most diehard Unionists in Scotland.  Will it be like the Thatcher era where nobody would admit to voting Tory and yet they had a big majority? None of the Tories i know can justify or even understand the position they have found themselves in. Hating and attempting to ridicule the "Nats" for their one issue politics is wearing very thin in the context of Tory "die in a ditch" Brexit. 

Ray Gin
21 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Mainly a Labour pledge.

Anyone who believed that at the time is too gullible to even have a vote imo.

Not mainly a labour pledge. Signed off by David Cameron.

Tory admits that people who believe what they say are too gullible to deserve a vote.

:wow: 

Ray Gin

Never trust a Tory. Especially the man they decided was fit to lead their party.

dobmisterdobster
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Not mainly a labour pledge. Signed off by David Cameron.

Tory admits that people who believe what they say are too gullible to deserve a vote.

:wow: 

It was a mystery box from the Labour-led No campaign.

Gordon Brown bribed Labour voters with snake oil.

gjcc
14 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

No chance of that happening.

She will be the PM with Blackford or Cherry next in line.

Ah right you are, I thought we were going to have elections in an Independent Scotland not an autocracy. Silly me. 

Cade

Boris already spent £2,000 this week on facebook ads targeting voters in his own seat.

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It was a mystery box from the Labour-led No campaign.

Gordon Brown bribed Labour voters with snake oil.

Decent powers on tax and social security that are making  changes that help people.

Scottish Government has certainly been celebrating its social security powers introducing help for a range of circumstances including new benefits for young carers, children, funerals.

Of course the last minute offer of new powers after the poll showing Yes winning was against the rules of the Referendum and should have been ruled unlawful. 

The Frenchman Returns

NATO summit on 3/4 December gives BJ a chance to masquerade as a statesman 

Leaders from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member states are to gather in London in December for their annual summit.

Allied heads of state and government, including U.S. President Donald Trump, will discuss security challenges to "ensure that NATO continues to adapt in order to keep its population of almost one billion people safe", according to the organisation's Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg.

London, which was the home of NATO's first headquarters, will host the summit in the organisation's 70th anniversary year.

dobmisterdobster
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Decent powers on tax and social security that are making  changes that help people.

Scottish Government has certainly been celebrating its social security powers introducing help for a range of circumstances including new benefits for young carers, children, funerals.

Of course the last minute offer of new powers after the poll showing Yes winning was against the rules of the Referendum and should have been ruled unlawful. 

Scotland did get new powers. People who voted No expecting fiscal autonomy were naive.

I don't believe the vow was decisive in influencing the result. The vast majority of No voters did so because they didn't want Independence.