General Election 2019

Shanks said no

Farage confirming on Marr that he himself will not be standing in the election.  Proof again that he is nothing but an antagonist.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

11 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Sort of, I'm not a tax accountant but l think it's something like 10%, then jumps to 22% and then up to 40% but l guess they could scale it better. TBH l don't know what the answer is but l bet your bottom dollar (or should l say pound) that someone won't be happy regardless of the system used.

Totally believe you about the Poll Tax, l know Scotland were the guinea pigs for that shambles of a tax system, now l wonder which party introduced that?!

In Scotland we have 5 tax paying bands.

image.png.0093fc2306f55d36f1d840de76ea1f1a.png

In England, Wales & N.Ireland they have these rates.

image.png.063185a387a28e6d5ee2a964566da6cb.png

Someone earning 14K in Scotland will pay 1% less income tax than their English counterpart, however someone earning 30K will be paying 1% more.

The Scottish system benefits those on the lowest of earnings, albeit by only 1% but it's better than nothing, whilst the more you earn the more tax you pay.

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Farage confirming on Marr that he himself will not be standing in the election.  Proof again that he is nothing but an antagonist.

Exactly, look how he initially done a runner as soon as the Brexit result came through and yet people still like him it beggars belief.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Someone earning 14K in Scotland will pay 1% less income tax than their English counterpart, however someone earning 30K will be paying 1% more.

The Scottish system benefits those on the lowest of earnings, albeit by only 1% but it's better than nothing, whilst the more you earn the more tax you pay.

Thanks again Jambo-Jim, that's some jump above £43,430 in Scotland. As you say at least a 1% reduction in lower rate in Scotland.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Bottler and bullet maker.

The unbalanced scrutiny between the Tory minister and John McDonnell on the Marr show has reached ludicrous levels.      Not even trying to be balanced anymore.     Shocking.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

List of things changed due to election (grabbing votes)

1. Fracking banned

2. Benefits Freeze ended 

3.   Stopped ignoring NHS / BMA pleadings over resources and funding.    BMA already questioning why the government have suddenly grown ears.

The sad thing is that many simpletons will be taken in by these obvious electioneering announcements (none of which will ever be enacted and will be dropped right after the election, as per usual).

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Are the National insurance thresholds still the same in Scotland as in the rest of the UK? If so it means a higher earner in Scotland will pay 41% tax + 12% (53% total!!!!)  National Insurance on the portion of their earnings between the Scottish Higher Rate Threshold (£43,430) and £50,000 before dropping back to 41% tax + 2% national insurance above that, or 43% total.

If so, that's very poorly thought out. A fairer way would have been to keep the thresholds the same and make higher rate 42% in Scotland, kicking in at £50,000 as elsewhere.

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

The unbalanced scrutiny between the Tory minister and John McDonnell on the Marr show has reached ludicrous levels.      Not even trying to be balanced anymore.     Shocking.

McDonnell deserves the scrutiny.

He has called for a Tory MP to be lynched as well as imprisoning Tory MPs for made up crimes.

John McDonnell is not fit to be in politics let alone shadow chancellor.

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

McDonnell deserves the scrutiny.

He has called for a Tory MP to be lynched as well as imprisoning Tory MPs for made up crimes.

John McDonnell is not fit to be in politics let alone shadow chancellor.

:cornette:

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Cade said:

The sad thing is that many simpletons will be taken in by these obvious electioneering announcements (none of which will ever be enacted and will be dropped right after the election, as per usual).

This.

Trapper John McIntyre
37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:cornette:

So he's wrong is he?

Tory MP Esther McVey should be lynched, urged workers to spit in their managers’ tea, and said IRA terrorists such as Bobby Sands should be “honoured” because their “bombs and bullets and sacrifice” led to peace in Northern Ireland.

'John McDonnell, the type of man who would happily order the execution of an entire village.'

2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Are the National insurance thresholds still the same in Scotland as in the rest of the UK? If so it means a higher earner in Scotland will pay 41% tax + 12% (53% total!!!!)  National Insurance on the portion of their earnings between the Scottish Higher Rate Threshold (£43,430) and £50,000 before dropping back to 41% tax + 2% national insurance above that, or 43% total.

If so, that's very poorly thought out. A fairer way would have been to keep the thresholds the same and make higher rate 42% in Scotland, kicking in at £50,000 as elsewhere.

As far as I know NI in Scotland is the same as the rest of the UK.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As far as I know NI in Scotland is the same as the rest of the UK.

You are correct J-J. I looked it up. I think most decent minded people would be happy to pay a little extra if there was visible sign of it being well spent. 

That however, is poorly thought through legislation by the SG. A group of well paid but not extraordinarily well paid people take a bigger shafting relative to their income than everyone else.

35 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ross Thomson quitting Westminster altogether.

Jumped before he was pushed by the electorate. 

Ah the tory view on pensions! 

The reason we "can't afford" more is really really simple- it's way down the list of priorities.

Depending on how you view it the uk is either the 5th or 9th richest country in the world, certainly richer than Holland where you get 100% of your wage as a pension. How can that be?

We have the money, we can afford it if we want to, but our government has long lost sight of the fact it's there for the population and puts the interest of those needing help last because it's me me me all the way.

The tories have their pensions sorted, they don't care about you and I.

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The reason we "can't afford" more is really really simple- it's way down the list of priorities.

Depending on how you view it the uk is either the 5th or 9th richest country in the world, certainly richer than Holland where you get 100% of your wage as a pension. How can that be?

We have the money, we can afford it if we want to, but our government has long lost sight of the fact it's there for the population and puts the interest of those needing help last because it's me me me all the way.

Here's a finding that might give pause for thought.

As was the experience in Germany introducing the minimum wage has not caused jobs to be lost. Which is what a lot of businesses said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1XE029

I mentioned the Ulster Unionist Party abandoning their arrangement not to stand in marginals against the DUP.

Now Sinn Fein aren't standing in 3 seats to try to get DUP out. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Maybe Thomson is sick of a workplace where anti-social,  sexual abusers with alcohol issues routinely get into bother and blame everyone else.     

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

What are you talking about in Holland you get 100% of your wage as a State Pension?

In Holland the State Pension is linked to their Minimum Wage. If you are a Single Person living by yourself when you retire you get 70% of the National Minimum Wage. If you are co-habiting with a partner when retired you get 50% of National Minimum Wage. 

Why do you think, the same as UK they have Employer Pension Funds? What would be the point if you were going to get 100% of your salary anyway when you retired? 

:facepalm:

Just now, TheOak88 said:

What are you talking about in Holland you get 100% of your wage as a State Pension?

In Holland the State Pension is linked to their Minimum Wage. If you are a Single Person living by yourself when you retire you get 70% of the National Minimum Wage. If you are co-habiting with a partner when retired you get 50% of National Minimum Wage. 

Why do you think, the same as UK they have Employer Pension Funds? What would be the point if you were going to get 100% of your salary anyway when you retired? 

:facepalm:

Lived 10 years in Holland mate, its complicated and I shouldn't have been so simplistic about it, an element of getting to 100% is contributions based because of their 3 pillar system.

Nevertheless, only 4% of dutch pensioners have very low incomes and the point stands that our pensions are so low because it's not a priority. 

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

The bit about the Dutch retiring on 100% of their wages sounded too good to be true to me. A quick Google makes me think it's sort of true, but a wee bit nuanced.

To qualify you have to contribute for 50 years as opposed to 35 years in the UK.

There's a compulsory contribution of 7.9% of gross wages by workers and 17% by employers.

There's also a further voluntary element, but I'm not sure if this is needed to reach the 100% figure.

The 100% of wages, refers to average lifetime wages, not final salary.

On average OECD governments spend 8.2% on pensions, but the Netherlands only spends 5.4%.

So it sounds very generous, and is, but the Dutch have to pay more for longer to qualify.

All the above info was gleaned from a couple of websites, so I accept it might not be accurate.

But there's elements that the UK would benefit from adopting.

4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The bit about the Dutch retiring on 100% of their wages sounded too good to be true to me. A quick Google makes me think it's sort of true, but a wee bit nuanced.

To qualify you have to contribute for 50 years as opposed to 35 years in the UK.

There's a compulsory contribution of 7.9% of gross wages by workers and 17% by employers.

There's also a further voluntary element, but I'm not sure if this is needed to reach the 100% figure.

The 100% of wages, refers to average lifetime wages, not final salary.

On average OECD governments spend 8.2% on pensions, but the Netherlands only spends 5.4%.

So it sounds very generous, and is, but the Dutch have to pay more for longer to qualify.

All the above info was gleaned from a couple of websites, so I accept it might not be accurate.

But there's elements that the UK would benefit from adopting.

Yeah I shouldn't have been so flippant with numbers when its such a complicated subject. I was really answering the question earlier in the thread of why we cant have higher pensions - it isn't a high enough priority for our government. 

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah I shouldn't have been so flippant with numbers when its such a complicated subject. I was really answering the question earlier in the thread of why we cant have higher pensions - it isn't a high enough priority for our government. 

I agree pensions need to be a higher priority, especially with changing demographics.

SNP not being invited to live TV debate but Lib Dems are. 

Good. Fek em. SNP will get more mileage out of not being invited. Then they wont have to answer awkward questions like:

Who will pay for Hadrians wall to be rebuilt?

What will you do when you cant get Eastenders on Scottish TV?

How will Scotland pay for its own oil?

Where will Scotland get Electricity from?

Will Scotland really have tartan passports?

What will Scots do when the internet gets switched off and Facebook pulls out of Scotland?

Will you still drive on the Left?

Nobody will buy your whisky!

Etc. 

dobmisterdobster

It should just be Boris vs Jeremy in the main debates.

It became farcical when every other party got invited.

The 2017 debates were pure cringe, especially Greens and Plaid Cymru.

6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

SNP not being invited to live TV debate but Lib Dems are. 

Good. Fek em. SNP will get more mileage out of not being invited. Then they wont have to answer awkward questions like:

Who will pay for Hadrians wall to be rebuilt?

What will you do when you cant get Eastenders on Scottish TV?

How will Scotland pay for its own oil?

Where will Scotland get Electricity from?

Will Scotland really have tartan passports?

What will Scots do when the internet gets switched off and Facebook pulls out of Scotland?

Will you still drive on the Left?

Nobody will buy your whisky!

Etc. 

Will Nessie relocate?

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It should just be Boris vs Jeremy in the main debates.

It became farcical when every other party got invited.

The 2017 debates were pure cringe, especially Greens and Plaid Cymru.

I agree.

Much more opportunity to scrutinise and pick apart that lying shitehawk Johnson.

He won't do many debates for that very reason. He struggles to recall which lies he's told to whom. 

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I agree.

Much more opportunity to scrutinise and pick apart that lying shitehawk Johnson.

He won't do many debates for that very reason. He struggles to recall which lies he's told to whom. 

Na, no doubt he'll have rehearsed the attack of JC with the presenter, before the real thing happens in front of a specially handpicked audience. You know like the one you'll see on this Thursday nights QT.

People actually advocating the entrenchment of a two party system :vrface:

The UK is fecked because we have an Old Firm of Tory and Labour who simply take it in turns fecking everything up and not consulting with anybody due to FPTP and overall majorities.

Other nations are less combative, more consensual and, dare I say, more mature and responsible because coalition government is the norm and politicians are used to compromise and working together.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

The UK is fecked because we have an Old Firm of Tory and Labour who simply take it in turns fecking everything up and not consulting with anybody due to FPTP and overall majorities.

Other nations are less combative, more consensual and, dare I say, more mature and responsible because coalition government is the norm and politicians are used to compromise and working together.

Sad but true.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Will Nessie relocate?

Makes no difference in Westminster...unless youre a Lib Dem apparently. 

dobmisterdobster

I want a debate between two prime ministerial candidates.

Not ten different party leaders arguing about their own hobby horses that the public don't care about.

Leanne Wood and Caroline Lucas should not be on my TV screen.

12 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Not ten different party leaders arguing about their own hobby horses that the public don't care about.

I'd rather decide for myself between all of the parties than choose between 2 candidates picked by a TV station.

dobmisterdobster
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd rather decide for myself between all of the parties than choose between 2 candidates picked by a TV station.

It is your right to decide to vote for whoever you want.

That doesn't mean the Greens get to share a platform with Boris and Jeremy.

9 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It is your right to decide to vote for whoever you want.

That doesn't mean the Greens get to share a platform with Boris and Jeremy.

Of course it should in a fair election. Two parties are being given preferential treatment.

Edited by Ray Gin

1 hour ago, Cade said:

For once, I totally agree with you.

56 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Yes they should. We both live in a democracy and in a democracy everyone is entitled to their say and in the interest of fairness all main party leaders should be on any tv debate. In this election that is Conservative, Labour, Libdem, SNP, plaid cymru Brexit party and the Greens. Alot of people may not like that but that is the way it should be. We get our biggest say with the ballot paper in the voting booth. The way it should be.

34 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Of course it should in a fair election. Two parties are being given preferential treatment.

And that is the problem with a country still dominated by two party politics, where everyone else is effectively treated as nothing more than a bit part player, that is until one of the big two needs the help of the smaller parties, which is increasingly going to be happening as the days of outright landslide majorities look to be coming to an end, as the big two seem to be haemorrhaging votes, in part because they are unable to change fast enough to keep up with an ever changing electorate who don't have the same loyalties to the Tories or Labour as previous generations did.