***St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian official match day thread***

Tenor

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

How many did he score for us last season?

Edit :wiki says 8. 

another edit: says he scored 6 in 21 for port vale as well.

My Wiki says 5 in 25  appearances for Hearts as at October 27th.

And yes 4 and 2 in separate loans at Port Vale. 

A positive goal machine? (even if your Wiki is right)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• Francis Albert

Just now, Francis Albert said:

My Wiki says 5 in 25  appearances for Hearts as at October 27th.

And yes 4 and 2 in separate loans at Port Vale. 

A positive goal machine? (even if your Wiki is right)

You’re looking at just league games. Go to last column for complete figures. In all comps his career goals to games is 1:4.44 which isn’t great but not a disaster either. Agree he’s not the goal scorer we need though.

Captain Canada

Imagine if we tried something different in this game. We're so predictable it's ridiculous. 

Why not shake things up a bit and let the opposition worry about us? 

A 4-3-3 would take them by surprise.

Joel, Smith, Dikamona, Berra, Hickey, Damour, Irving, Clare, Uche, Keena and Meshino.  

Just launch high balls at Uche the whole game and get Clare, Keena and Meshino to feed off the scraps. At least it would be a clear tactic and style of play rather than whatever it is we've been watching for the past year! 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Was he not a rb. Wallace should be on the list 

Yes but I was responding to the posters remark about us not having quality right backs but loads of left backs in the recent past.

We'll be without Whelan, Meschino (who may well be on the bench), as well as the usual list of injured ...can't see Naismith being risked before the weekend same for Walker

White and Damour will be available

I can see Hickey Smith Berra and White at the back

Clare Damour Bozanic Morrison

Uche and one other from Maclean, Keena and Irving

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

Imagine if we tried something different in this game. We're so predictable it's ridiculous. 

Joel, Smith, Dikamona, Berra, Hickey, Damour, Irving, Clare, Uche, Keena and Meshino.  

Just launch high balls at Uche the whole game and get Clare, Keena and Meshino to feed off the scraps. At least it would be a clear tactic and style of play rather than whatever it is we've been watching for the past year! 

Berra up top with Uche and Meshino would be my front 3.

7 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I’ve said for years we have been blessed at LB for almost my entire time supporting Hearts...

Whittaker

Pointon

Mahe

Naysmith

Fyssas

McKinlay

Grainger...

I may have missed a couple but there has been real quality there.

RB, however has been dire in the main. Neilson, Smith and Kidd probably our best. 

Defo Peter Sheilds LB,  til the leg break at smeltic pk, poss George Cowie RB

Can't see us winning this any more than at Hampden on Sunday. We don't win football matches anymore. Our only hope, imo, is a 0-0 draw, and a point, then another goalless game on Sunday, aet, and win on pens. 

I'd take that.

Bridge of Djoum
18 minutes ago, rmreido said:

I started going in 84, a home defeat to Morton I think. I mind George Cowie and he is a good shout. Don’t remember Peter Shields, though. 

4 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I started going in 84, a home defeat to Morton I think. I mind George Cowie and he is a good shout. Don’t remember Peter Shields, though. 

Englishman played Left back for Hearts when Alex MacDonald was player/manager early 80's,  great player until the leg break. 

3 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

I'm with you.  Shake them up.  Give us a real go at them.  Levein would be praised by most for taking that initiative even if it didn't work.

On a similar positive vein, according to my phone app, we haven't lost to St J in the last 7 games.

The negative of course is that we have attacked teams, particularly in the League Cup, created dozens of chances, but couldn't score.

Time to change all that.

What a boost it would be if were 2-0 up at half time and kept attacking.

4 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

It’s a shame that Leveins never played 4-3-3 in his puff because it could be our best shape. 

Just now, Superunknown said:

If we score some goals we have a chance. If we don't I think it will be either a draw or a loss

if only Craig Levein had such blue sky thinking. 

10 hours ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

The dreaded hearts vs bottom of the league team in desperate need of a win to turn things around 

aye, but we're normally well above them, this team we're pretty much the same as them

5 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It’s a shame that Leveins never played 4-3-3 in his puff because it could be our best shape. 

We've played 4-3-3 this season, just not very well...

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

433 with our current available players wouldnt be for me. 

With a fit Meshino, Whelan, Haring, Walker, Mulraney, Naismith and Washington it would be worth a go in some guise. 

I think we'd be over run in the middle by most teams and don't have the width atm. 

7 hours ago, rmreido said:

Arthur Mann the best of the lot, Kay good too

15 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

yI’ve said for years we have been blessed at LB for almost my entire time supporting Hearts...

Whittaker

Pointon

Mahe

Naysmith

Fyssas

McKinlay

Grainger...

RB, however has been dire in the main. Neilson, Smith and Kidd probably our best. 

You missed the greatest of them all, with the possible exception of Takis Fyssas;  Davie Holt

15 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ah, good shout. 

15 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Surely Lee Wallace should be on that list. 

I'd say so.

15 hours ago, jambobob61 said:

Paterson anyone?

Right back, and nowhere near as good as the others as a full-back.

15 hours ago, jambobob61 said:

Craig Thomson before the err.............................

He certainly had promise but I'm not sure he would have made the op's list.

Silly boy, but probably wasn't doing anything that thousands of other silly boys and silly adults haven't  done in the age of social media. I'm not defending what he did btw.

highlandjambo3

I predict loosing an early goal to bung the game plan out the window then....our players hiding away until full time..... 3-0/3-1

One thing almost for certain, we will be questioning CLs strange team/line-up when it’s announced this evening.  

Please can someone correct me on these:

Last away win at St Johnstone: Scottish Cup 2012

Last away league win at St Johnstone: November 2010

Surely we’ve won a league game there in a last 9 years ... 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

if only Craig Levein had such blue sky thinking. 

Craig's idea of 'blue sky' thinking is to hit the ball as high as we can from the back towards Meshino :) 

14 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

On the face of it, very little although I’d be surprised if there hadn’t been dialogue between her and CL regarding performances and expectations. 

Had “dialogue” eh.

That’ll do the trick!

stirlingshirejambo
9 hours ago, rmreido said:

Surely pre injuries both Stephen frail and Gary Locke were more than decent right backs

16 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I’ve said for years we have been blessed at LB for almost my entire time supporting Hearts...

Whittaker

Pointon

Mahe

Naysmith

Fyssas

McKinlay

Grainger...

Frail, Locke and Paterson would be worth a mention. For a short while, Maybury too (until he became more concerned with booting anything that moved and was then switched to left back).

2 hours ago, Jambo83 said:

We've played 4-3-3 this season, just not very well...

Probably. If it’s Levein it’ll be 4-5-1. I mean 4-3-3 like how Liverpool play. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, King prawn said:

Please can someone correct me on these:

Last away win at St Johnstone: Scottish Cup 2012

Last away league win at St Johnstone: November 2010

Surely we’ve won a league game there in a last 9 years ... 

Don't think we have. However haven't lost to them now in 7

15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Uche doesn’t score goals?

For a striker...no he doesn't. Didn't at Cambridge and doesn't at Hearts really..ok, he may score a goal here and there but you couldn't rely on him to get you 15-20 a season which for a club of Hearts stature should be aiming for over a season... 

34 minutes ago, dbusby6 said:

Peter Oliver was really good too until he did his knee. 

Forgot about him. We really have has some great left backs over the years

13 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

For a striker...no he doesn't. Didn't at Cambridge and doesn't at Hearts really..ok, he may score a goal here and there but you couldn't rely on him to get you 15-20 a season which for a club of Hearts stature should be aiming for over a season... 

It is incredible how bad our record is with strikers scoring goals. So common over the last 20 years or so for our top scorer to have a dozen or so, even single figures sometimes. Lafferty got close but no one has hit 20 since robbo in 1992.

:sob:

I reckon we will see something mental again tonight. I’d imagine we will see Wighton instead of MacLean. White instead of Brandon with Hickey moving over to the right. Smith and Berra at centre back. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Henderson our wide as well. 

St Johnston 1 - Hearts 0 

We will claim that the priority is Sunday and that he isn’t worried about our position in the league as we have everyone back fit soon enough and things will soon turn. 

Joel 

Hickey Smith Berra White 

Henderson Irving Bozanic Clare 

Wighton Uche 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

I reckon we will see something mental again tonight. I’d imagine we will see Wighton instead of MacLean. White instead of Brandon with Hickey moving over to the right. Smith and Berra at centre back. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Henderson our wide as well. 

St Johnston 1 - Hearts 0 

We will claim that the priority is Sunday and that he isn’t worried about our position in the league as we have everyone back fit soon enough and things will soon turn. 

Joel 

Hickey Smith Berra White 

Wighton Uche 

Washington fit?

Just now, Barack said:

He's not kidding.

What is the latest on him?  I kind of switch off now whenever here the ramblings of Levein or our distinguished couching and medical staff.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

What is the latest on him?  I kind of switch off now whenever here the ramblings of Levein or our distinguished couching and medical staff.

I think he’s genuinely not due back till next year. 

loveofthegame
26 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

St Johnston 1 - Hearts 0 

Joel 

Hickey Smith Berra White 

Wighton Uche 

Frightening how bad that team is... and might not be far off the mark.

47 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

St Johnston 1 - Hearts 0 

Joel 

Hickey Smith Berra White 

Wighton Uche 

No chance Wighton will start. Played 90 in the bounce match yesterday.