Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Uche and Naismith are the only ones that I think are worth keeping.

The others may be better if they were playing in a team that are set up to try and win especially away from home but they have proved that they don't have what it takes to move us forward.

Yes, but who are the others that you object to?

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

40 minutes ago, karipidis said:

We have good players, it’s the manager that is the issue. 

Well hopefully we get the chance to find out if they can perfrom with a new manager.

Alex Kintner
11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'll admit having a crisis of confidence in Craig. Few weeks ago I tentatively moved to the should go at the end of the season camp. The improvements thread was interesting though and made me pause for thought;

* Improved away record 

* Two semi-finals at least

* Better points totals

* We did have a horrendous period for injuries, even 2 extra victories would see us right in the mix. 

However, on the flip side;

* Style of our play

* Record in Glasgow 

* Team selection can sometimes be odd

Can Craig change the negatives, I'm not sure. 

I'm back on the fence though. I want to see where we end up in the league. If he secures Europe then I can't see how we get rid with the semi finals also in my mind. 

P. S. Am I a happy clapper or hibs troll? 

It sounds like to me like you’re balancing the pros and cons which is what most reasonable fans are doing. Everything is on a knife edge and touch and go just now. If we’d won two more games we’d be third. If we’d lost two more games we’d be facing bottom six after the split.

All to play for between now and June and our record against the top six teams gives me hope ??

buzzbomb1958
11 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I thought we were unlucky tonight. Another few well timed last gasp challenges and we mightv'e only lost one or two to nil. 

If we keep doing our work and have lucky moments then Craig will get us our point at Ibrox eventually.

Wtf

43 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Because I believe our current league and cup position does not merit him losing his job. Everything is there to play for and four of our last six games are against teams (Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock) who he has a very good record against this season. Changing manager at this point would be bonkers and cause unnecessary instability. The summer is the time to reflect and make any decisions.

Similar to you if you agree he is a club legend. For me it is the combination of his long service, consistently high standard of performance and his undoubted passion for the club.

Not sure about consistent high standard of performance(as a manager) but the other two are unquestionable 

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It sounds like to me like you’re balancing the pros and cons which is what most reasonable fans are doing. Everything is on a knife edge and touch and go just now. If we’d won two more games we’d be third. If we’d lost two more games we’d be facing bottom six after the split.

All to play for between now and June and our record against the top six teams gives me hope ??

It really is fine margins isn't it. 

The thing is I want Craig to do well for us so badly, no one can doubt his love and commitment for the club. If he won the Scottish and decided to pass on the reigns, of his volition, I don't think it could end more perfectly for him. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Leveins future for me hinges on how we play in the derbies, cup semi and final. Away on a cold Wednesday night at Ibrox with both teams having players out through injury and suspension, you look at Rangers being able to bring Jermain Defoe and Steven Davis into the fold, Hearts have the choice of Craig Wighton or Steven Maclean up front enough said. At some point it comes down to the quality of player you can buy to cover those injuries and suspensions to your main men. Really unfortunate the Vanacek flop and yes I do hold levein responsible for that flop, by the same token I also credit him for some great signings Uche, Naismith, Berra, Dunne, Haring etc 

I loved the bravery and fighting spirit against Aberdeen at home so I’m not chucking that faint optimism out now just because we got beat at Ibrox when missing our 2 most important attackers. I will be supporting Craig Levein till the end of the season, when we’ll all look back and say was it good enough? If we finish with the cup in hand and some chest-thumping wins (like Aberdeen the other day) particularly derbies we’ll probably say yes. If we’re getting beat by Hibs and bottling it in the cup we’ll probably say no.

Now is the crunch time, like all seasons in football it comes down to a couple of games. After 5 years rebuilding as DoF and Manager Levein now must deliver some history, or if he fails to do so, step aside to allow fresh ideas in the building. 

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The thing is I want Craig to do well for us so badly, no one can doubt his love and commitment for the club. If he won the Scottish and decided to pass on the reigns, of his volition, I don't think it could end more perfectly for him. 

Riding off into the sunset with a cup winners medal is my ideal scenario ??

JamboAndrew

Where was all this talk of getting him out at the start of the season?

People have short memories of where we finish in the league.

Getting to the cup final and top 4, which is still possible, is a good achievement.

The second half against Aberdeen was what his team is capable of.

And the fan is littered with clubs that used to be good who chopped and changed manager is search of quick results.

I'd say club stewardship, academy and about 50% of our performances this season have seen great improvements.

Consistency and signings on the whole have been a big issue. But I like having a hearts man at the helm who cares and I'm all for consistency. And I'm hoping summer transfers will look to build consistency in the squad and therefore bring more consistent results and performances.

It's been a frustrating season for parts, but some of the football we have played has been great. We do however have some very brexiteer type supporters as mentioned above, who have an agenda and that's that.

It's scary to think what a positive crowd that got behind the team every game could do for players confidence.

Edited by JamboAndrew
Typo

Johnny Sandiego

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Uche and Naismith are the only ones that I think are worth keeping.

The others may be better if they were playing in a team that are set up to try and win especially away from home but they have proved that they don't have what it takes to move us forward.

John Souttar too surely? Haring was excelent before his injury. Berra, although struggling recently, is also well worth keeping. 

I've been a big fan of Levein, he was definitely the right man to come in and steady the ship after our relegation and again after Cathro left.  He knows the club inside out, the expectations.  It is time to move on however, I'm not against him returning upstairs and I genuinely believe he gets more pleasure from the bigger picture, building the youth side and moving the club forward.  In terms of management though its time for a fresh face with different ideas.  Levein has assembled a squad that is capable of top 4 finish without doubt.  There is a definite fear of losing though which ironically leads us playing terribly and losing games that we shouldn't be.   Getting to the semi finals should be expected, when you look at the teams in the competition barring a bad draw i.e. Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen away we should be expecting to reach semi finals in both competitions so i'm not going to accept two semi finals and 5/6th league finish as progress.

16 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'll admit having a crisis of confidence in Craig. Few weeks ago I tentatively moved to the should go at the end of the season camp. The improvements thread was interesting though and made me pause for thought;

* Improved away record 

* Better points totals

* We did have a horrendous period for injuries, even 2 extra victories would see us right in the mix. 

* Style of our play

* Record in Glasgow 

I'm back on the fence though. I want to see where we end up in the league. If he secures Europe then I can't see how we get rid with the semi finals also in my mind. 

Seems a good and fairly balanced summary.

Looking at your flip side, I would say injuries have affected our style of play.  When your best players are out, by definition you are bringing in others of lesser ability.  One or two you may cope without but when it's 3, 4 or 5 it must upset the team rhythm etc and necessitate a change of personnel and tactics thus denying consistency.  As an example, the currant bun supporters are castigating Worrall's performance last night.  Just think what they might be saying if he had been up against Naismith and Uche and could the result have been materially different.  Our performance record in Glasgow is deplorable and although CL hasn't managed to change this, it was ever thus.  The team selections I do find odd sometimes and wonder if Levein and McPhee overthink things with regard to the opposition.

slashishere
39 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

* Improved away record 

* Better points totals

* Style of our play

* Record in Glasgow 

Reasoned I would say 

3 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

I've been a big fan of Levein, he was definitely the right man to come in and steady the ship after our relegation and again after Cathro left.  He knows the club inside out, the expectations.  It is time to move on however, I'm not against him returning upstairs and I genuinely believe he gets more pleasure from the bigger picture, building the youth side and moving the club forward.  In terms of management though its time for a fresh face with different ideas.  Levein has assembled a squad that is capable of top 4 finish without doubt.  There is a definite fear of losing though which ironically leads us playing terribly and losing games that we shouldn't be.   Getting to the semi finals should be expected, when you look at the teams in the competition barring a bad draw i.e. Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen away we should be expecting to reach semi finals in both competitions so i'm not going to accept two semi finals and 5/6th league finish as progress.

He needs to probably leave altogether. No point him being director of football in charge of signings and the academy.  We need fresh approach, some his signing decisions at youth level have been highly questionable..

40 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

* Improved away record 

* Better points totals

* Style of our play

* Record in Glasgow 

Kind of where I am, though I've never felt more negative about the current regime.  the football is woeful, by and large.  For every 45 minutes against Aberdeen we have a 90 minutes against St MIrren or Dundee or Hamilton or Livingston.  The team selection changes from game to game, partly due to injuries, but more so as an indication of how we must neutralise the attacking prowess of the likes of St MIrren, Dundee, Hamilton and Livingston.  The sooner we adopt a mindset that the opposition needs to worry about us rather than the current approach, the better.

I've just renewed my ST before my negativity/apathy gets the better of me.

2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

You don't know if they weren't. I'm certain the plan wasn't to give rangers 85% possession. We chased shadows because rangers were actually really good for the first half hour. We couldn't get near them. Nothing to do with the plan last night. Aberdeen could have easily been a couple goals down by half time and got lucky.

To be fair - I've not suggested Levein verbally ASKED the team to ensure Rangers had 85% possession. Any suggestion of the sort is crazy.

I've said it may be foggy logic but to ME it SEEMS that we NEVER have a go at Ibrox. That's all.

The longer the trend goes on the weaker the rationale that Rangers were 'just too good on the night' gets. I'm on about the trend not the single event. Maybe your right though and they turn up more determined to play us than Hibs, Killie or Aberdeen - but I'd be disappointed if anyone was comfy with that explanation.

16 minutes ago, MooseMich said:

He needs to probably leave altogether. No point him being director of football in charge of signings and the academy.  We need fresh approach, some his signing decisions at youth level have been highly questionable..

I agree and I think if he remains at the club is a lesser role it will hamper our chances of a manager with a better CV however I just can't see him stepping away all together. 

Governor Tarkin
46 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Wtf

You disagree?

:)

Governor Tarkin
43 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This would be the ideal scenario.

Geoff the Mince
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I was just about in tears reading that.  Poor you.

Stop being childish Al .

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Here, I’m late to this thread and all I’ve done is offered my opinion, why do you feel the need to reply like a smart *****? 

As I say, yer comin across as a doughnut. Dunno why, cos I’ve not read the rest of the thread, but why you felt the need to be sarcastic towards me I dunno? Are you just looking for bites? Have I bitten? **** knows...

Just a bit surprised you chose today to air your opinion instead of Sunday (after a good victory} but c'est la vie.

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

Not sure about consistent high standard of performance(as a manager) but the other two are unquestionable 

I meant as a player.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Totally agree ??

3 hours ago, dustybin said:

Levein will be at Hearts for years to come, that's the worrying part. 

If that's the case the more worrying part is we will be 

lucky to have 9000 season ticket holders I know plenty who

are not renewing 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Just a bit surprised you chose today to air your opinion instead of Sunday (after a good victory} but c'est la vie.

Are you? For the record I’ve been reluctantly coming round to the view that he needs to go for a wee while now, but just never voiced an opinion on here either way...until today. 

There are are many on here that have had an anti Levein agenda for too long, perhaps you thought I was one of them. I can assure you I’m not. 

...and finally, I ****ing loved the result on Saturday. What a difference it made to my weekend. But the problem (as I see it) is that these decent performances seem peppered through a sea of turgid, pedestrian shite. 

Just my view tho ??

What would you rather watch on a bleak spring night hearts or Coronation street?

That's how bad it is with levein in charge.

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Crete said:

What would you rather watch on a bleak spring night hearts or Coronation street?

Was that not the quote from some vermin arsehole during the Championship season ?

He was slavering pish as well

Thought Police

Going down the Darren McGregor line of thinking.

Interesting.

Thought Police
20 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

are not renewing 

Folk say that every year and numbers stay consistent 

Alex Kintner
24 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

are not renewing 

The same predictions were made last season when we finished 6th and were papped out both the cups early doors. Unsurprisingly the predictions were unfounded.

16 minutes ago, Crete said:

I can think of something even worse to watch motor racing 

siegementality
14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He also had a team funded by debt nearly leading to our extinction.

No he didn’t. He had a team funded by the owner at that time. It was around five  years later - after the financial crash - that they debt issue arose.

iwasthere1954
4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Exactly where I am. Always be grateful to Levein for the contribution he’s made to Heart of Midlothian, but his times up. As you say though, where we go from him is anyone’s guess. In my mind though we need a forward thinking, hungry coach who’s been tested ELSEWHERE. Replacing Levein with someone from within the corridors will do nothing for me. We need a new, fresh approach. 

The saddest part for me about this though, is that due to a new job, I can’t make every game in the way that I used to be able to in the past. But I’ve always been an advocate of the “if you can afford to buy a ST, then you buy one, regardless of who’s in charge’ school of thought. Now though? Between the new job, and the thought of no real change in the dugout, I’m swithering over a ST next year. After 20 odd years of continuously having one. 

Apathy is turning me into a hypocrite, and although I don’t like that, I can live with it. The question is though, how many others out there feel like me? Could keeping Levein, or one of his ‘boot room’, in the dugout cost us a few quid?? 

I feel the very same. I have had my love of football kicked out of me by the current management. And that's after a long time. 

siegementality
3 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

I disagree about the squad. Take Uche and Naismith out and we have very little. Both have been out for long spells and that was clearly evident.

ford donald
5 hours ago, dustybin said:

Levein will be at Hearts for years to come, that's the worrying part. 

Not as manager he won't.

Levein back as DoF, Nielson back as head coach, both on long term deals prior to club being handed over to FoH ownership. Heard it here first. 

Edited by soonbe110

So I’ve just been told some gossip, here goes: 

CL will step aside at end of season. Health issues being a reason and retiring to Spain. 

Austin McPhee to take over. 

Craig Gordon returning as player coach with an other ex player returning as back room staff (source didn’t recognise name - possibly Gary Naismith but that was my guess)

Source heard from and is a close friend of someone in current set up. 

Not it sure if already posted or true. 

There you have it. 

siegementality
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Levein back as DoF, Nielson back as head coach, both on long term deals prior to club being handed over to FoH ownership. Heard it here first. 

We need better than Robbie Neilson. If that is our level then we are royalled fecked.

siegementality
1 minute ago, c41rns said:

CL will step aside at end of season. Health issues being a reason and retiring to Spain. 

Craig Gordon returning as player coach with an other ex player returning as back room staff (source didn’t recognise name - possibly Gary Naismith but that was my guess)

There you have it. 

FFS can we just not get someone decent in?!?! 

3 minutes ago, c41rns said:

There you have it. 

I’ve had texts from 97 separate people who 100% back up what you are saying, so on that basis it’s gospel.

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, c41rns said:

There you have it. 

Sounds plausible apart from the Spain part.

12 minutes ago, c41rns said:

There you have it. 

The Naismith rumour has been doing the rounds for a week or two. No clarity as to whether it’s Gary or Steven though. 

buzzbomb1958
8 minutes ago, smiler said:

I’ve had texts from 97 separate people who 100% back up what you are saying, so on that basis it’s gospel.

Oh god why is our club being used to experiment

jimmy the jambo
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Sounds plausible apart from the Spain part.

I heard about Spain more than a month ago,I believe it’s true. 

Geoff the Mince
20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What a horrendous thought .

Just now, Geoff the Mince said:

What a horrendous thought .

Quiet Thursday afternoon post. Better than the Naismith, Gordon thought though. 

Why does a new manager always have to have a hearts 

Connection this is what holds us back

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic