***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

For a while I thought it was an age thing, maybe it's just that kids are impatient and expect 90 minutes of fireworks and 5-0 wins every week or they're demanding blood. 

But it seems to be mostly guys who've stayed loyal through much, much worse over the years. Maybe it's a reaction to the united positivity at the start of the Budge era and the raised expectations that came with it, I don't know.

For me it's about context - for once we're actually in a good place from the perspective of finances, stadium, fan base (numbers not contenment!) and squad.  We have either the 3rd of the 4th biggest budget and no off field diversions about mergers, cost cutting, demolishing the stadium for flats or the chairman dabbling in the team. All this noise about we have no right to expect, historically we've never been that good is defeatist and self fullfilling.  My expectations are that we perform to budget - slightly less it's a bad day, better then it's happy days. Reality is that from a league perspective we have not been nearly good enough for a long time now. And as regards St Mirren I have a very long memory where they are concerned, so no I'm not happy with nil-nil.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rick witter

• pettigrewsstylist

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm really talking about the over reaction and crap that's everywhere, my original post was about the guy saying we were clueless against Aberdeen. 

At the end of the day I get it, I get why people want change and why they don't have faith that levein can turn things around, but some in our support are acting like spoiled bairns with their tantrums, painting a picture that has zero positives in it at all, and that's just not how I see it. That was a decent game on Wednesday, a hard fought cup tie against one of our closest rivals and we got through to our third semi in a row, something we've only done once before in our entire 145 year history. 

At the end of the game everyone around me was standing applauding. And the guy says we were clueless? Bollocks!

Spot on Smithee, i enjoyed the game on Wednesday 

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Irving? Though I know you mean Harry. Or was it Clare?

Clare doesn't track back. Austin said so. probably why he was on the bench.

51 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, I mean you had him playing wide left AND wide right. Just a joke...I realised it was a typo.

No bother 👍🏻

50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We were clueless against Aberdeen?

Saved me asking that question

49 minutes ago, Boof said:

Meh for the 2 points dropped.

Can I be the first to say HAVE, FFS...HAVE!!!

😑 

im meh for the two points dropped , fully expected that break away at the end to mean 1-0 Saints. We should have been ahead before that though. I know they have done ok at home beating Aberdeen and making it tough for Rangers but we cost ourselves today not taking the chances we created. 

29 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

How do you  deal with life on a daily basis?

Lol it’s Only when I watch Hearts I get like this. We have so much potential with everything going on off the park. We can be the club that consistently finishes third or fourth every season with the money we are putting in and the loyalty of the fans but we will never do it with Levein in charge. 

People acting like this is a terrible result and we always used to go to Paisley and win before big bad Budge took over.

And yet it seems like we've lost away to St Midden more than winning or drawing, in all competitions over all time.  We have an even worse record against them in neutral venues (won once out of 7).

How strange.

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/tea/stmirren.html

22 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

A game that cried out for an attacking midfield player who has scored a decent number of goals and made assists over the last 46 games.

such a shame that the "real" Hearts fans have shattered the young boys confidence.

If he had came on we would have lost!!  

21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Rick, I think he will stumble on until the end of the season before resigning, as alluded to in the HMSA thread. His own idea of "stabilising" us, by signing 35 + players , including some ageing loan signings and handing out long term contracts like sweeties , is quite clearly a figment of his own imagination. We can only dream of the lofty 5th position that Cathro left us in. 

I honestly don’t see him getting through the season. If we continue like this it’s going to get very heated outside the stadium after games at some point. Levein has had us in 5th, 6th, 6th again and more than likely bottom 6 this season yet he still thinks he can turn it round!!! Deluded. 

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Lol it’s Only when I watch Hearts I get like this. We have so much potential with everything going on off the park. We can be the club that consistently finishes third or fourth every season with the money we are putting in and the loyalty of the fans but we will never do it with Levein in charge. 

There is a large chunk of supporters want a change but they know that will not happen this season. The reasons for our stuttering form have been done to death. There has to be a certain pragmatism to take us from week to week now, still knowing it ain't what we want, ideally.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Cool, kind of skim reading thread so probably missed context. 

Anyway we’re a large support and such you always have a whole range of emotional reactions to events. 

One persons over reacting is the other persons not care enough, just personal perspective and communication abilities I guess.

End of day we all want the same thing. Sometime we just express our feeling differently. 

Yeah this is true :thumbsup:

Still waiting to move btw

35 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We do have so much potential and it will have a good chance of being realised when we have back players like Souttar, Walker, Naismith and Haring, to name but 4.

10 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Rick man, if this was your normal posting style I'd lap it up!

FWIW to yourself and others I do have digs sometimes but hey, we all want the same thing and we're all frustrated.

10 minutes ago, WageThief said:

People acting like this is a terrible result and we always used to go to Paisley and win before big bad Budge took over.

And yet it seems like we've lost away to St Midden more than winning or drawing, in all competitions over all time.  We have an even worse record against them in neutral venues (won once out of 7).

How strange.

Its not strange at all. We are a bigger club with better players and fans should rightly feel we should be beating them.

What is off the wall strange is people thinking it is ok to fail against them because we have regularly failed before. Incredible, losers attitude.

Can sort of give Levein a pass on this result considering Hibs game plus 120 mins against Aberdeen.

Not to mention the amount of injuries we have had again. 2 off in this game can't help him change tactics.

From sound of it we missed a sitter also and really should have won.

Next week is a different story though

Just now, GinRummy said:

Its not strange at all. We are a bigger club with better players and fans should rightly feel we should be beating them.

What is off the wall strange is people thinking it is ok to fail against them because we have regularly failed before. Incredible, losers attitude.

:greatpost:  

15 minutes ago, WageThief said:

How strange.

Jesus! 

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You are right Rick or should it be Dick.

We do have so much potential and it will have a good chance of being realised when we have back players like Souttar, Walker, Naismith and Haring, to name but 4.

Excuses are running out!!! 

Naismith will never be fit. 

The other 3 will improve us but we have more than enough quality to beat teams like St Mirren and Hamilton!! 

Cheers for the abuse tho. 👍🏻

Adam_the_legend
35 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

We're seeing again this season that we don't actually have any strength in depth when injuries strike. 

We have a strongish 14/15 players and a load of below average ones after that. 

Wrong. Didn’t you see AB’s statement about how “the plan” included provisions for dealing with injuries? 🤪

11 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Clare doesn't track back. Austin said so. probably why he was on the bench.

Which is fundamentally the problem with modern football. Having overlapping full backs, false 9s, genuine battering rams and wingers that don't hit the bye line, is the problem. If we played a 4-3-3 system with defined roles, you wouldn't need to look at players stats and worry about the madness of dragging every player back to defend corners. Leaving 2 on halfway, drags 3 of the oppo back and makes it far easier to defend corners.  I think MacPhee has an unusually high input into how we play, given he wasn't even No.2 initially. It doesn't augur welll for the future if MacPhee becomes FAV to teplace Levein in May, or sooner. We are eerily similar to the way Norn Iron play but, although full credit is due to MON and MacPhee for their recent achievements,  they are limited to about 27 players to choose from. We have brought in 35 in 2 years and certainly don't need to replicate their limited style of play.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Excuses are running out!!! 

Naismith will never be fit. 

The other 3 will improve us but we have more than enough quality to beat teams like St Mirren and Hamilton!! 

Cheers for the abuse tho. 👍🏻

We really dont have the quality when our best players are injured,that has been shown for long enough.

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You seem to be bomb proof with the Mods Al . Are you incapable of debating without dishing out personal abuse?

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Resorting to name calling. 😂

So, due to a few injuries we have just to accept what`s being served up every week and the horrendous run of results we are on, not too mention the eye bleeding football and constant change of tactics?

Its a no from me. 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

As a football club we have become so pink and fluffy we're more like the Women's Guild than a football club, it's like the actual footballing part is an afterthought.

As a team we're dreadful and people readily, and some, happily accept this as the case,. Where's the Hearts of old.......

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

Bottom 6 side, all day long. It's going to be a very long and boring season, yet again. 

Want to bet on it ?

I think things will be quiet on a reply

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I wasn't aware of any posters claiming it was OK to fail to them.  Or draw.

I'd say it's a lot more strange for people to be claiming we'd never accept draws at St Mirren as a support until Budge took over.  Especially given that has actually happened in the thread.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I will judge this result after next Saturday.  If we beat Kilmarnock at home having taken 4 points from two away games then I will be satisfied with 7 from 9 including two away games.  That and into semi finals.  

The regroup get some some players back and we go into international break okay.

Fail to win and things look a lot bleaker 

Think that your on the money.

Disappointing that we didn't beat stmirren,  but it wasnt that likely.

The coaching staff must get more out of the players, who themselves have to put in more. 

It's another frustrating as hell season already 

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Want to bet on it ?

I think things will be quiet on a reply

I think you are right. I do think the reason we might get further up the table is the standard of the opposition though. The points we have dropped so far have been really frustrating. 

44 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

We are just not very good under Levein .Every so often he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and then we sink to mediocrity again.

and this is how it will continue....... and continue....... and continue..... and continue.  Groundhog week, month, season.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Disappointing but could have bern worse.  McLean missed a sitter according to the BBC.  Would Shsnklsnd have missed it? Doesnt seem to miss many.

Wasn’t really a sitter. It was probably away from him before he got foot on it. Keeper was out at him as well. Could have scored but not a sitter. 

1 minute ago, WageThief said:

I wasn't aware of any posters claiming it was OK to fail to them.  Or draw.

I'd say it's a lot more strange for people to be claiming we'd never accept draws at St Mirren as a support until Budge took over.  Especially given that has actually happened in the thread.

Don’t want to turn this into a budge/Levein thread. A draw against st mirren is totally unacceptable. More so given the context of our awful league form this season.

5 minutes ago, gedster said:

As a team we're dreadful and people readily, and some, happily accept this as the case,. Where's the Hearts of old.......

What did people used to do to show their disgust and dissatisfaction with an away point at St Mirren?

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

I’m not a troll and I won’t apologise for wanting better for the team. We are going nowhere under Levein!! He will be sacked this season as the bad results will just keep coming until he is forced out. I just wish Ann had done it after Motherwell to give us a chance to salvage the season. 6th is the very very best we will achieve. 

Sorry, but you do need to cut him some slack. Today wasn’t great but when second half started we were missing seven first pick players. We don’t have a big enough squad to cope with that. 

Souter, Halkett,Haring, Naismith, Damour, Walker, Washington. 

If you can’t face facts then there’s no hope for your constant ranting. 

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We didn't fail. We drew.

3 minutes ago, WageThief said:

What did people used to do to show their disgust and dissatisfaction with an away point at St Mirren?

Maybe they celebrated it as it wasnt just about an away draw to St Mirren. Too many avoiding the bigger picture, again. 

Hibs is the benchmark for too many of our fans these days, last weeks result seems to have wiped the last years form from the memory banks of the happy clappers amongst our support. Embarrassing.  

Edited by Walter Bishop

Just now, Spoleto said:

Did he say that? Please provide evidence.

Isn't it in the Clare thread? He says he runs a lot, more than any, and further. That he's an enigma. Then said he needs to track back (which I assume he isn't doing because he's saying he has to ). Cut and paste it in your next post. 

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

We are 7 points behind Motherwell and 6 behind Aberdeen already!!! After 7 games. Do you think we have the ability to claw that back!!! 

The pressure is going to be massive on the players and manager for the next home game. 

Absolutely. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Sorry, but you do need to cut him some slack. Today wasn’t great but when second half started we were missing seven first pick players. We don’t have a big enough squad to cope with that. 

Souter, Halkett,Haring, Naismith, Damour, Walker, Washington. 

If you can’t face facts then there’s no hope for your constant ranting. 

It’s not just about today though. 

There was a chance after the cup final to have a clean start. Get a fresh team in. We didn’t do it and ended up bottom of the league. Agree injuries are crippling us now. 

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Damour and Naisy 4 year contracts 🙈 

give it a few months and you'll be loving those deals, i'm telling you. Damour will turn great

1 hour ago, Noah Claypole said:

A point away from home, haven't lost ground on Celtic who could only manage a point against the worst team in the world. 

A decent result all round then. 

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

That’s what I thought. Point away from home. Is that our first clean sheet this season? I’m not self harming TBH.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Not bad on the face of it. Unfortunately getting outplayed by Ross County and Hamilton at home puts more pressure on you to get these results. The air-heads won't realise that though.

@WageThief I’d say these three posters seem to think the result was ok. If you read the thread there are more.