***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Nah, it's a sign of how soft we've become nowadays that we are happy to accept a draw in Paisley.  Back in the halcyon days we used to never accept such travesties and that's why our record is..oh wait.  Remember when Burley was sacked and we eh...did...we did do something, right?

If anyone brings up our historical record in Paisley I'll just accuse them of accepting failure.  Even though it contradicts my point about us becoming soft, I'll just bang on and on about it like a tedious trolling *****.

I might even go as far to pretend everyone is delighted about yesterday's point.

Actually cringed reading that. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rick witter

• pettigrewsstylist

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

25 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Cracking response Al 👍🏻

When we get all our players back we will be top of the league won’t we pal. 

Just like last season when after the winter break we were much improved when our great new striker came in and we got our injured players back. It’s always just around the corner eh!! 

Cant wait for your next typo by the way. 

We were top of the league last season before injuries struck, pal.  THAT IS FACT.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

We were top of the league last season before injuries struck, pal.  THAT IS FACT.

HMFC, the only club ever to suffer from injuries. 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cant wait to celebrate a 0-0 at Livingston based on the fact we have not won a top flight game there in 13 years. 

Don't forget we nearly went bust plus some injuries. 

33 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Don't forget we nearly went bust plus some injuries. 

Of course, we should be so grateful for the past few years of torture, especially 0-0 draws away to St Mirren given these circumstances along with the fact, we were in administration. 

We are the Hearts. 

In isolation it’s a bad result but it’s been a physically demanding week with 2 massive games and the cup game going the distance. I’m not happy about not winning against a team with a fraction of our budget by any means but other big sides (huns & sheep) have struggled to get anything through there, fair play to Goodwin he’s made them much tougher to beat.

Couple of observations;

3atb just doesn’t work in my opinion, we’re much more balanced playing with a proper back 4 with players in the correct positions. Morrison & Mulraney aren’t suited to the wingback positions at all.

Michael Smith is the most important player in the side and the most underrated player in the league. Outstanding wherever he’s deployed.

Meshino for all his talent is still a young lad with little first team experience, he’s going to have poor games and we need to temper our expectations of him.

Overall the result does absolutely nothing to help alleviate the pressure on CL but I’m not going to lose my s*** over it, the week as a whole has been more positive and we can still build on it. I’m more annoyed about the Halkett injury than the dropped points and have my fingers crossed for a good recovery. Hopefully Clevid can prove his worth as his backup because when he first started he was excellent but maybe needs a run in a settled back 4.

Folk still embarrassing themselves I see! Only folk who know nothing about football would class St Mirren away as an ‘easy’ game. Us, Rangers and Aberdeen combined have scored 1 goal there. Rangers scored the goal, Croatian International scoring a wonderful free kick.

On Sunday morning i’m sure every Hearts fan would have taken 4 points out of 6 and progression to the League Cup semi final.

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Folk still embarrassing themselves I see! Only folk who know nothing about football would class St Mirren away as an ‘easy’ game. Us, Rangers and Aberdeen combined have scored 1 goal there. Rangers scored the goal, Croatian International scoring a wonderful free kick.

On Sunday morning i’m sure every Hearts fan would have taken 4 points out of 6 and progression to the League Cup semi final.

Aberdeen are mince, Rangers had a bad day but still won. 

Why stop at Sunday morning? Would every hearts fan have been happy with where we are at the start of the season? 

I didn’t think it would be easy but, as we have better players than st mirren, and a bigger budget I’d like us to get a win and not judge our failure against Aberdeen’s worse failure.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why stop at Sunday morning? Would every hearts fan have been happy with where we are at the start of the season? 

I didn’t think it would be easy but, as we have better players than st mirren, and a bigger budget I’d like us to get a win and not judge our failure against Aberdeen’s worse failure.

We roll out the budget excuse when it suits us. Pumped by the Old Firm on a regular basis? "Aye, but they've got a far bigger budget than us so it's to be expected". Fail to beat a team with a much smaller budget? "Erm, it's not an easy place to go". 🙄

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

We roll out the budget excuse when it suits us. Pumped by the Old Firm on a regular basis? "Aye, but they've got a far bigger budget than us so it's to be expected". Fail to beat a team with a much smaller budget? "Erm, it's not an easy place to go". 🙄

We are hugely underachieving as a football team, in every sense. It’s obvious to a huge majority of the support why. 

Yet a small minority cling on to the ridiculous idea that we are doing badly despite all the good work being done by management and coaches and come up with a variety of excuses after each poor result.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Yet a small minority cling on to the ridiculous idea that we are doing badly despite all the good work being done by management and coaches and come up with a variety of excuses after each poor result.

No I think most people think Levein should've went but in light of the last week it isn't going to happen right now.  Most people will find your continual crusade to cast yesterday's result as a "failure" as silly or trolling.

I've not changed my mind after 3 results but I don't see any value in going Romanov-crazy over an away draw.

You guys seem to continually go over the top about things then accuse anyone pointing out your stupidity as "boo defending Levein".

Just now, WageThief said:

No I think most people think Levein should've went but in light of the last week it isn't going to happen right now.  Most people will find your continual crusade to cast yesterday's result as a "failure" as silly or trolling.

I've not changed my mind after 3 results but I don't see any value in going Romanov-crazy over an away draw.

You guys seem to continually go over the top about things then accuse anyone pointing out your stupidity as "boo defending Levein".

I’m not on a crusade. It was a failure.

Some posters have made excuses or, if being kind, gave reasons after every poor result. Look back in the match threads and you will see I’m correct. I wasn’t meaning you.

I’ve never dismissed anyone as stupid because it just shows you can’t reasonably debate and just resort to name calling. 

55 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

So in other-Wordsworth we are that bad that this Sunday morning we should be over the moon with a draw at St Mirren and a Derby win and the lofty heights of 9th place in the league. That’s the embarrassment nothing else!!!

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not on a crusade. It was a failure.

Some posters have made excuses or, if being kind, gave reasons after every poor result. Look back in the match threads and you will see I’m correct. I wasn’t meaning you.

I’ve never dismissed anyone as stupid because it just shows you can’t reasonably debate and just resort to name calling. 

You are still on your crusade to designate it a failure.

Most posters are pointing out why it wasn't a failure, or historically a poor result.  Or in the context of Aberdeen/Rangers results in Paisley recently.  Or that we'd played 120 mins on Wednesday.  Or that we had 2 injuries during the game to add to our already long list.

No, you dismiss people as "clinging to a ridiculous idea" then take the high horse about me being calling out "stupidity".  

Especially ridiculous when you seem to have difficulty differentiating between information and "excuses".

13 minutes ago, WageThief said:

You are still on your crusade to designate it a failure.

Most posters are pointing out why it wasn't a failure, or historically a poor result.  Or in the context of Aberdeen/Rangers results in Paisley recently.  Or that we'd played 120 mins on Wednesday.  Or that we had 2 injuries during the game to add to our already long list.

No, you dismiss people as "clinging to a ridiculous idea" then take the high horse about me being calling out "stupidity".  

Especially ridiculous when you seem to have difficulty differentiating between information and "excuses".

It’s Utterly ridiculous to call it a crusade, that I won’t accept a draw against st mirren as ok. 

The posters who who are pointing our reasons for poor results are in my opinion not taking into account the most important factor which, again, is we have better players (even after our forced substitutions) and SHOULD have a better manager and coaches than st mirren because we have a bigger budget. 

It’s not just this game, after almost every game, some posters are on here giving reasons or excuses for the latest poor result, conveniently ignoring the elephant in the room.

Any poster who now thinks CL and his coaches are not mostly to blame for the last season and a bit of terrible results is indeed clinging on to a ridiculous idea and I’ll defend that statement to the hilt. I wouldn’t lower myself to question their intellect though. 

Your last paragraph is just an unwarranted dig. So just crack on with that.

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Delusional.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

We are hugely underachieving as a football team, in every sense. It’s obvious to a huge majority of the support why. 

Underperforming in one competition but doing very well in the other two. A fact that seems to continuously escape most ...

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Underperforming in one competition but doing very well in the other two. A fact that seems to continuously escape most ...

It doesn’t escape me. CL and the team deserves credit for our cup runs in both competitions last season and also for navigating past two tricky ties this season. 

As as a whole the results haven’t been good enough and although I would love to be proved wrong I can’t see that changing much under the current management and coaching team. 

21 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Fine is actually a decent summery. 

A loss would have been Shit, a win would have been superb so a draw is indeed fine. 

Well done Sir.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I would hope that our management and players don’t see a draw with St Mirren as being “fine”.  Hopefully they also don’t think a sixth place finish is “fine”.

Edited by Getintaethem

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If you had offered me that after the Motherwell defeat, I, and probably most, would have taken it. A derby win being the only caveat.

The only reason for the ire was because yesterday it was awful....I think.

Edited by Boab

Yeh our record v st Mirren is poor and o past managers have not been slaughtered for similar or worse results. Those managers have been beating Ross County and Hamilton at home so are afforded a bit of slack. Levein won’t get the slack due to our form in general. Also the formation was ridiculous he just can’t help himself. Keep it simple ffs and play the players in their normal positions.

15 minutes ago, Boab said:

If you had offered me that after the Motherwell defeat, I, and probably most, would have taken it. A derby win being the only caveat.

The only reason for the ire was because yesterday it was awful....I think.

Were you at the game yesterday?

chuck berrys hairline
2 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Who did he play for?

Sure claimed was on Aberdeens squads in the 90s. Doesn't say wether made first team or not but sad to say was more than likely shite!!

What was awful about it?

The inability to create chances. The lack of fluidity in the play. The wing backs offering nothing going forward. Having two sitting midfielders ahead of 3 CHs resulting in little creativity. Tempo was slow, didn't move the ball quickly enough. St Mirren carried very little threat, they look a poor team. We barely knocked on the door bar MacLeans chance. 

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Good to see you back posting again. 

1 minute ago, bistokid said:

The inability to create chances. The lack of fluidity in the play. The wing backs offering nothing going forward. Having two sitting midfielders ahead of 3 CHs resulting in little creativity. Tempo was slow, didn't move the ball quickly enough. St Mirren carried very little threat, they look a poor team. We barely knocked on the door bar MacLeans chance. 

We had 11 shots, 5 on target and 8  corners. We also got the ball wide to Mulraney and Morrison constantly. If you had watched St Mirren v Rangers you would have known what to expect and adjusted your expectations accordingly. That’s all without mentioned the loss of two players during the match, to an already depleted squad!

27 minutes ago, Rods said:

Yeh our record v st Mirren is poor and o past managers have not been slaughtered for similar or worse results. Those managers have been beating Ross County and Hamilton at home so are afforded a bit of slack. Levein won’t get the slack due to our form in general. Also the formation was ridiculous he just can’t help himself. Keep it simple ffs and play the players in their normal positions.

You do realise half a team was out injured and two more went off injured in the first half don't you?

Maybe if you stamp your feet and scream you'll get your way.

Just now, Spoleto said:

You do realise half a team was out injured and two more went off injured in the first half don't you?

Once again accusing people of tantrum like behaviour. Detracts from your argument and makes you look foolish ( which I am sure you’re not really). The team after the forced substitutions, was still a far better 11 than st mirren and it’s hardly head in the clouds ambition to expect a positive result. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We had 11 shots, 5 on target and 8  corners. We also got the ball wide to Mulraney and Morrison constantly. If you had watched St Mirren v Rangers you would have known what to expect and adjusted your expectations accordingly. That’s all without mentioned the loss of two players during the match, to an already depleted squad!

Majority of our shots were from distance with little threat and the keeper barely broke sweat. We got the ball out to Mulraney and Morrison but neither beat their man  and got in behind - Mulraney on one occasion. 

I don't care about the rangers game. I watched the game yesterday and that was a poor, insipid performance. Again. Maybe we have different expectations. 

Perspective has to be added due to factors such as the previously mentioned inability of Aberdeen and Rangers to get any more than 1 goal there between them.

Regarding budget superiority Rangers struggled to get a 1-0 at Livi and what does that budget comparison look like? Add in the horrific injury list including multiple players who have the ability to dig out that one piece of quality work that gets the single goal at these places and Hearts really aren't so under performing as it may appear.

Outside the OF I think this may prove top be the most tightly contested SPL in sometime with perhaps 3 teams Hearts included capable of getting the 3rd spot.

Hearts recently beat Aberdeen and despite their hammering at Ibrox yesterday they're still the bookies favourites to take that 3rd place. 

wattie exploited

we should be beating shit like st mirren  some people seem to take our performances against the shit teams as its ok injurys or not !!!!!!!!!!!!    for to long now we accept mediocrity   as thats what we have been used to for a good few years now !!!!!!!!!!! :rifle:

It's simply not going to be easy in this league especially away from home. When you see the big two struggling to get narrow away wins even with their multi million budgets it has to be appreciated where that leaves Hearts and especially so with the crippling injury list.

Celtic last two away league matches a narrow 1-0 win at Hamilton and now a 1-1 draw at hubz. Rangers also laboured to a 1-0 win away at St Mirren and same again away at Livi in the LC. No one would say both OF don't have regular scorers.

This isn't as easy a league as some may portray it and in the circumstances it might be thought that things could be a lot worse but can only get better when the injury list begins to shorten.

1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

I am encouraged that more people are bercoming analytical than simply knee-jerk.

Agreed.

Good on posters like Cruikshank who have modified their position given the circumstances that have been outwith Hearts control.

The silent majority now need to silence the boo boys and show them that their behaviour is unacceptable.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Once again accusing people of tantrum like behaviour. Detracts from your argument and makes you look foolish ( which I am sure you’re not really). The team after the forced substitutions, was still a far better 11 than st mirren and it’s hardly head in the clouds ambition to expect a positive result. 

I'll accuse people of tantrum behaviour because that's exactly what they are doing. Yes, individually we were still better than the St Mirren 11 BUT you lose two players in the first half and that lays any best laid plans bare. 

Add that to the fact and the stats for the game showed that we were still the better team. On another day we might have sneaked a goal or the referee might have given us a penalty that we seemingly deserves.

31 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Agreed.

Good on posters like Cruikshank who have modified their position given the circumstances that have been outwith Hearts control.

The silent majority now need to silence the boo boys and show them that their behaviour is unacceptable.

I noticed that and well done to CfS.

Maybe if they read today's article in the EEN (on line) and digest the content, there would be more understanding of our position - and that is not to say mistakes have not been made.

Personally I criticised CL for putting Clare to RB when Smith was on the bench,  Given how MS played in the games since, it would have been disastrous if he had put Smith on and he had got injured badly enough to miss the last 3 games.

10 hours ago, tcjambo said:

I am encouraged that more people are bercoming analytical than simply knee-jerk.

We all need to learn to be a bit more analytical in order to appreciate that we can't be expected to be beat teams like Ross C, high-flying Motherwell, St Mirren or Hamilton.  I did expect to beat at least one of them but can now see the bigger picture. Once we have a fully fit squad of 75 players, the manager will help us climb from 9th up to our habitual 6th place. He thought that we deserved more from the game on Saturday too, pretty much like every other week, so we must have played well. Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We all need to learn to be a bit more analytical in order to appreciate that we can't be expected to be beat teams like Ross C, high-flying Motherwell, St Mirren or Hamilton.  I did expect to beat at least one of them but can now see the bigger picture. Once we have a fully fit squad of 75 players, the manager will help us climb from 9th up to our habitual 6th place. He thought that we deserved more from the game on Saturday too, pretty much like every other week, so we must have played well. Onwards and upwards.

Totally agree mate. A club of Hearts' stature and income should still have enough to beat these teams comfortably. The well oiled excuse of injuries to key players is peddled out by Levein and his supported but even when these players are fit we have struggled. Given that 2 players were injured on Saturday a good manager would have found a way round that and gotten the win. I was at the game on Wednesday and although we got the win the tactical selection by Levein left a lot to be desired. Why play full backs on the opposite side from their natural positions and employ a back 3 when this does not work especially with Berra in the middle and has proven problematic. He then changed to a back 4 which worked against Hibs and won the game on Wednesday. Why can't he start with thst week in week out and learn from his mistakes. He is either stubborn or stupid. Either way he needs to go. 

Edited by Class of 75

We_are_the_Hearts
37 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Totally agree mate. A club of Hearts' stature and income should still have enough to beat these teams comfortably. The well oiled excuse of injuries to key players is peddled out by Levein and his supported but even when these players are fit we have struggled. Given that 2 players were injured on Saturday a good manager would have found a way round that and gotten the win. I was at the game on Wednesday and although we got the win the tactical selection by Levein left a lot to be desired. Why play full backs on the opposite side from their natural positions and employ a back 3 when this does not work especially with Berra in the middle and has proven problematic. He then changed to a back 4 which worked against Hibs and won the game on Wednesday. Why can't he start with thst week in week out and learn from his mistakes. He is either stubborn or stupid. Either way he needs to go. 

He is defo the former! Will always be his downfall. We need fresh impetus. 

1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

He is defo the former! Will always be his downfall. We need fresh impetus. 

He was either misquoted in the EEN or else he seems to think Damour played all 120 minutes of the Aberdeen game on Wednesday night.

When being asked about the injuries to Halkett and Damour he said that he was not too worried about Damour's injury as he had not played much football before joining us and he had played 120 minutes on Wednesday.

It looked to me that he was taken off around the 75th minute and replaced by Keena.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

He was either misquoted in the EEN or else he seems to think Damour played all 120 minutes of the Aberdeen game on Wednesday night.

When being asked about the injuries to Halkett and Damour he said that he was not too worried about Damour's injury as he had not played much football before joining us and he had played 120 minutes on Wednesday.

It looked to me that he was taken off around the 75th minute and replaced by Keena.

I feel looking at Damour he's often already played 120 mins.

Can't say I felt entertained at all on Saturday; well, perhaps by the Buddies singing section with their salute to Obika through the use of the song 'Tequila'.  :lol: Class!

19 hours ago, Spoleto said:

You do realise we are behind Hamilton right now? You do realise we have won 1 in 14?

The problem is the chopping and changing but Levein is to stubborn to change his ways.