***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

2 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

I will get a bit of flack here but we have just had to hard games in a week and St Mirren have had some good results at home this season already so I am happy with a point mind you if we loss to Killie next week we will be back to square one.

In the circumstances of a team in genuine crisis a week ago, and two very positive results since then, a point today is OK. This is not a club in a tailspin any longer. We've probably bottomed out now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rick witter

• pettigrewsstylist

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

1 minute ago, graygo said:

You'll be out though, decent result for Hibs today unlike last week.

Slaver. Dribble. Froth. 

We could have done with the win - home to Killie who will sit in sends a shiver down my spine.

Think the line up was for massive attack, but loss of Halkett was brutal.

Home form biggest worry for me, and could have done with taking the pressure off.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

There's always pressure in football. And yes, I do. I'm not seeing anything from the non-OF sides above us to fear. It's total mediocrity all round. 

Agreed - a really shite team is going to finish 3rd this season.  No idea who it will be, but can’t see it being us unless we urgently get a new manager.

7 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

A point away from home, haven't lost ground on Celtic who could only manage a point against the worst team in the world. 

A decent result all round then. 

We're 12 points behind rangers and 13 behind Celtic after only 7 games played and you think it's alright.  You're at it!

Should have freshened the team up after Wednesday extra time. Would have started Keena and Clare. despite maclean’s goal on Wednesday he was shocking and missed another sitter today. 

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think Shankland is on 16 now, he scored a hatrick today.  We could have got him for buttons.

At least we got a clean sheet for a change.  Did we play back 4 or 3?

If Shankland was playing for Hearts he wouldn't have scored near 16 goals as were not creating enough and he is a poacher.  I watched him for the 90 minutes against Dundee and wasn't impressed  infact i think he would be getting slated for his workmate on here.

Folk need to get over the Shankland thing.  If I was him and hearts offered me a contract I would be looking elsewhere, we are a graveyard for strikers.

1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

We're 12 points behind rangers and 13 behind Celtic after only 7 games played and you think it's alright.  You're at it!

At what, its a good point. 

A clean sheet and perhaps with the rub of the Green a sneaky winner. Onwards and upwards. 

Just now, Jamhammer said:

There are also a section of fans who seem to think we challenge for 2nd season after season. We don’t. We occasionally split the OF and win the big cup. 

We've not finished Best of the Rest since 2011, at a time we were spending so lethally much we ended up in administration. We've not finished Best of the Rest while living within our means since the late 1980s.  And we've only finished top 3 in back to back seasons once since 1960!

I don't know where this arrogance or entitlement comes from. I really don't. Our overall position isn't at all acceptable, in any way - but no Hearts team has ever won all these sorts of games. Even in 97/8, our home form gradually fell away after Xmas as inferior sides figured out how to play us. 

Doddie lost 6-2 at St Mirren, then a semi-final the following year. JJ lost a semi-final to them in which we did **** all throughout. Paulo drew 0-0 there as well. And those are three great Hearts managers! 

12 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Cmon Frank you must now want change man. We just can’t keep going like this it’s been almost a full Callander year of shite. 

Already said weeks ago I wanted Levein gone.

As for the part in bold, get to Falkirk!

By hoping for better?

But it seems to come as a surprise to Witter each time. Like he goes into each game with his memory having been erased. I worry for him. It's not healthy.

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

We've not finished Best of the Rest since 2011, at a time we were spending so lethally much we ended up in administration. We've not finished Best of the Rest while living within our means since the late 1980s.  And we've only finished top 3 in back to back seasons once since 1960!

I don't know where this arrogance or entitlement comes from. I really don't. Our overall position isn't at all acceptable, in any way - but no Hearts team has ever won all these sorts of games. Even in 97/8, our home form gradually fell away after Xmas as inferior sides figured out how to play us. 

Doddie lost 6-2 at St Mirren, then a semi-final the following year. JJ lost a semi-final to them in which we did **** all throughout. Paulo drew 0-0 there as well. And those are three great Hearts managers! 

Our firsr season back up we were best of the rest?

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

If Shankland was playing for Hearts he wouldn't have scored near 16 goals as were not creating enough and he is a poacher.  I watched him for the 90 minutes against Dundee and wasn't impressed  infact i think he would be getting slated for his workmate on here.

Don’t disagree with any of that but I’m pretty sure he would still score goals and more than any of the strikers we have.  We’ll see next season when Utd go up.

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think Shankland is on 16 now, he scored a hatrick today.  We could have got him for buttons.

At least we got a clean sheet for a change.  Did we play back 4 or 3?

3. Then changed after injuries and substitutions

The biggest surprise is so many people are surprised. When was the last time we bossed a team and put them away convincingly in a game this calendar year? Even against lower league teams in Scottish and League cup ties it's largely been a struggle. This is where we are right now.

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Don’t disagree with any of that but I’m pretty sure he would still score goals and more than any of the strikers we have.  We’ll see next season when Utd go up.

Apparently Maclean missed from 5 yards today and that is the type of goals shankland would score, but as you say lets wait until next year to see what he does. i think he would be no better than a Wyness or Reilly.

A game that cried out for an attacking midfield player who has scored a decent number of goals and made assists over the last 46 games.

such a shame that the "real" Hearts fans have shattered the young boys confidence.

Sits somewhere between a meh result and a poor result.    But you only get one point for a meh,  meh-poor or poor draw.    Single points aren't any good atm.

26 minutes ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Really surprised folk are just accepting a draw at St Mirren.  Expectations really have went south.

this! Oh it’s a hard place to go though. What a load of absolute bollocks. 

Fozzyonthefence
Spoiler

K

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

No, Aberdeen were.

I

Yes, although techincially they, us and another 9 teams split the OF that season.

30 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Two first-half injuries didn't exactly help.

The injury to Damour actually did help. Irving had a great game when he came on. Passes started going forward to our own players

8 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

There are also a section of fans who seem to think we challenge for 2nd season after season. We don’t. We occasionally split the OF and win the big cup. 

Should we want more? Totally but it’s not the norm for us.

The injury situation is ******* ridiculous and I honestly don’t know if it’s poor preparation etc but I’ve never seen anything like it.

Ive been me holidays since 16th September. If you’d have told me when I left we’d beat Hibs at the Methadrome, knock the Sheep out of the cup and keep a clean sheet at St Midden Id have bit yer hand off. Sorry not sorry

Good to get some perspective. I'm as disappointed as anyone we didn't win, but you have to take relevant things into account. 

1 minute ago, Noah Claypole said:

At what, its a good point. 

A clean sheet and perhaps with the rub of the Green a sneaky winner. Onwards and upwards. 

At the stil only 13 points behind Celtic.  You think being that far behind after only 7 games is ok?  We've dropped 6 points to Hamilton, st Mirren and Ross county. Has we had won those, we would only have been six points behind rangers rather than thinking that 6 points behind fourth was doing  not so bad.  Our mentality with the resources we have is pathetic.  

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

Apparently Maclean missed from 5 yards today and that is the type of goals shankland would score, but as you say lets wait until next year to see what he does. i think he would be no better than a Wyness or Reilly.

Probably still better than a Worthington, Uche, McLean or Keena though.

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

No, Aberdeen were.

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

No, Aberdeen were.

best of the rest has always been regarded 3rd, we finished 3rd that season.

3 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

A game that cried out for an attacking midfield player who has scored a decent number of goals and made assists over the last 46 games.

such a shame that the "real" Hearts fans have shattered the young boys confidence.

Irving? Though I know you mean Harry. Or was it Clare?

Edited by upgotheheads

24 minutes ago, rick witter said:

I’m not a troll and I won’t apologise for wanting better for the team. We are going nowhere under Levein!! He will be sacked this season as the bad results will just keep coming until he is forced out. I just wish Ann had done it after Motherwell to give us a chance to salvage the season. 6th is the very very best we will achieve. 

Rick, I think he will stumble on until the end of the season before resigning, as alluded to in the HMSA thread. His own idea of "stabilising" us, by signing 35 + players , including some ageing loan signings and handing out long term contracts like sweeties , is quite clearly a figment of his own imagination. We can only dream of the lofty 5th position that Cathro left us in. 

Captain Canada

We're seeing again this season that we don't actually have any strength in depth when injuries strike. 

We have a strongish 14/15 players and a load of below average ones after that. 

Disapointing result but hardly a disaster considering we have just won at our rivals and played 120 mins midweek.  But we really need to beat Kilmarnock and put in a good performance before the international break next week.  Hopefully we will have Naismith, Haring and Souttar back to really push on towards Xmas and get up that table.

Just now, TheStig said:

best of the rest has always been regarded 3rd, we finished 3rd that season.

Not in the period minus Rangers, it wasn't. 3rd that season is effectively 4th now.

Fozzyonthefence

At the stil only 13 points behind Celtic.  You think being that far behind after only 7 games is ok?  We've dropped 6 points to Hamilton, st Mirren and Ross county. Has we had won those, we would only have been six points behind rangers rather than thinking that 6 points behind fourth was doing  not so bad.  Our mentality with the resources we have is pathetic.  

Ignore him, he’s one of the worst trolls on here.  Quiet an accolade.  

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sits somewhere between a meh result and a poor result.    But you only get one point for a meh,  meh-poor or poor draw.    Single points aren't any good atm.

when treading water, single points can be okay. No one is getting a big points day from you. These 3 draws could have been three defeats quite easily

1 minute ago, Captain Canada said:

We're seeing again this season that we don't actually have any strength in depth when injuries strike. 

We have a strongish 14/15 players and a load of below average ones after that. 

We have 14/15 injured.

15 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

In the circumstances of a team in genuine crisis a week ago, and two very positive results since then, a point today is OK. This is not a club in a tailspin any longer. We've probably bottomed out now.

This. 

Seymour M Hersh

Did they play mid-week with extra time? Not great getting a draw but it's away from home and Paisley is somewhere we don't have the greatest of records.  I won't be losing my shit over todays result.  I'm sure others will be though. 

stranraer-jambo

After the physical and emotional exploits of the last week this was a big banana skin for us. We slipped a bit but didn't fall over. 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

In fairness people have had over 2 seasons of CL manager plus his first spell, to form a opinion on his managerial abilities this combined with the last 2-3 seasons results. It’s not surprising people want him gone. 

We’ve been underperforming and underachieving for a long time. Despite some people narrative,  people wanting rid of CL isn’t a knee jerk reaction to anything it’s the result of watching 2-3 seasons of his brand of football and the results it’s brought. 

I don’t think people wanting or expecting hearts to be better than a top 6 club is driven out of any misplaced optimism. We should be better than that, it’s not an u realistic goal by any stretch.

Hope the new digs are working out 👍

I'm really talking about the over reaction and crap that's everywhere, my original post was about the guy saying we were clueless against Aberdeen. 

At the end of the day I get it, I get why people want change and why they don't have faith that levein can turn things around, but some in our support are acting like spoiled bairns with their tantrums, painting a picture that has zero positives in it at all, and that's just not how I see it. That was a decent game on Wednesday, a hard fought cup tie against one of our closest rivals and we got through to our third semi in a row, something we've only done once before in our entire 145 year history. 

At the end of the game everyone around me was standing applauding. And the guy says we were clueless? Bollocks!

Looking at the territory, possession and chances. Looks like we should have won.

A point isn’t the worst though considering the week we’ve had. All things considered, injuries, fatigue etc.. I’d have taken a draw before the game.