British teams in Europa League

Morgan

5 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

They are both a cheek of the same arse. Never forget how disgusting and reprehensible both vile institutions are. It's the same as trying to pick which serial killer you'd rather spend time alone with. Both are responsible for the terribly low level Scottish football has been stuck in since the 80s. And both have Orwelian claims to greatness and morality. 

Spot on!!!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Hearts007

• HMFC01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Locky said:

Slavia are clearly a decent side, but Rangers won't be fearing them.

They wont be fearing Sevco.

Realistically, that's the sort of draw they were after.

Can see them getting a result against them as well, watched the Leicester game last night and both teams were guff.

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I know Slavia beat Leicester but Rangers have got to be pleased with that draw.

It would appear Newco fans on this thread certainly are. JMO of course.

I think Rangers back themselves against almost anyone. It's 4-3-3 take the game to the opposition and try and outscored them. Fair play to Gerrard and the Rangers team for getting so far. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat Slavia Prague to reach the QF's. 

Rangers issue in this one is that their Europa League play style of "we'll score more than we concede" only works if the other team's defence is shite.

Slavia looked like they had some big lads at the back last night who stuck to their system flawlessly, and they made a free flowing Leicester side, who are 3rd in the Premier League, look absolutely toothless up front.  They weren't very pretty up front themselves, but they didn't have to be.

Also, a certain somebody used to play for Slavia... so I know who I'll be cheering for.

:rudiyas:

I feel Rangers will beat Slavia to go into the last 8. If that comes to pass they would then very likely be up against a real giant. That's when we will see their real standing. And maybe that of Gerrard in some respect.

Incidentally out of the 16 still standing they're 7th in the betting to win it.

Bazzas right boot

Rangers are a good side and shouldn't fear anyone that is left in it. 

If they got through and  drew for example Arsenal, they are capable of knocking the likes of them out on their day imo. 

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Rangers are a good side and shouldn't fear anyone that is left in it. 

If they got through and  drew for example Arsenal, they are capable of knocking the likes of them out on their day imo. 

I would give them at least an even chance of beating Arsenal, Man Utd maybe not. I think people are misunderstanding the fact that they put 9 past Antwerp, leading to a suggestion that Antwerp are somehow a poor side. They're not.

In the groups Antwerp inflicted the only defeat of the group stage on Totenham, beating them 1-0 in Belgium with Harry Kane, Gareth Bale etc. on the field.

That's no mean feat plus during the return leg in London they only lost 2-0 to register an aggregate of 2-1 across the two legs.

Rangers will always adapt to the opposition, if it were a potent attacking force which Slavia are not, Rangers are more of a potent attacking force, they would adapt to it.

Gerrard is a vastly experienced Euro campaigner who captained a Liverpool side punching way above it's weight at the time all the to CL glory. He knows how to adapt to circumstances. 

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

I would give them at least an even chance of beating Arsenal, Man Utd maybe not. I think people are misunderstanding the fact that they put 9 past Antwerp, leading to a suggestion that Antwerp are somehow a poor side. They're not.

In the groups Antwerp inflicted the only defeat of the group stage on Totenham, beating them 1-0 in Belgium with Harry Kane, Gareth Bale etc. on the field.

That's no mean feat plus during the return leg in London they only lost 2-0 to register an aggregate of 2-1 across the two legs.

Rangers will always adapt to the opposition, if it were a potent attacking force which Slavia are not, Rangers are more of a potent attacking force, they would adapt to it.

Gerrard is a vastly experienced Euro campaigner who captained a Liverpool side punching way above it's weight at the time all the way to CL glory. He knows how to adapt to circumstances. 

15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Gerrard is a vastly experienced Euro campaigner who captained a Liverpool side punching way above it's weight at the time all the to CL glory. He knows how to adapt to circumstances. 

And I still say the score against Antwerp over the 2 legs is distorted by the 4 penalties they got. 

alwaysthereinspirit
On 18/02/2021 at 17:13, alwaysthereinspirit said:

The further they go the better their failure will be when it all goes belly up.

Cant wait.

I will bump this until their failure. 
If Newco fans are going to post on here then it’s only fair Hearts fans get a retort.

I’m like an elephant.....

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I will bump this until their failure. 
If Newco fans are going to post on here then it’s only fair Hearts fans get a retort.

I’m like an elephant.....

I think it's already gone far beyond what they or anybody else in Scottish football would regard as failure. Failure would have been exiting at the qualifiers, like the sheep every year.

Forever Hearts
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

And I still say the score against Antwerp over the 2 legs is distorted by the 4 penalties they got. 

What on earth are you talking about? Penalties are part and parcel of football.  

16 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

What on earth are you talking about? Penalties are part and parcel of football.  

Funny I thought what you appear to be thinking. It struck me as a bit like commenting I still say the result was distorted by the 5 goals they scored.

Forever Hearts
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Funny I thought what you appear to be thinking. It struck me as a bit like commenting I still say the result was distorted by the 5 goals they scored.

Maybe we should've told the ref we didn't want the penalty at Palmerston a few weeks ago as it would distort the result.  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ToqueJambo
On 01/03/2021 at 00:50, Forever Hearts said:

Maybe we should've told the ref we didn't want the penalty at Palmerston a few weeks ago as it would distort the result.  

Our 05/06 cup win didn't happen, or 2012 with than penalty in the semi final. I don't know what to think about Rangers in Europe. I find myself wanting them to win their Euro games against my better judgement which is very weird. It might be because Gerrard is one of their least obnoxious managers but probably because there are no Rangers fans rampaging around Europe. They have also been playing some good football in Europe. There's another thread talking about "standards". I do think Gerrard's European experience is helping him put out a team that believes they can win in Europe.

On balance I want them to get knocked out to avoid the Govan Variant taking hold.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Rangers could set up another scheme where players are paid into a trust fund and we'd still have happy clappers. Happy reasoning away for the love of the game, I assume

Are there home fans at this Rangers game? Or just loud backroom staff/subs? Sure I read earlier the Czech Rep has one of the highest covid rates in Europe just now.

What a goal 🤣

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Are there home fans at this Rangers game? Or just loud backroom staff/subs? Sure I read earlier the Czech Rep has one of the highest covid rates in Europe just now.

What a goal 🤣

100 fans

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Very similar to the disallowed Milan goal. Very poor defending leaving man in space.

Cheers. Allan McGregor can't see it?

22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Our 05/06 cup win didn't happen, or 2012 with than penalty in the semi final. I don't know what to think about Rangers in Europe. I find myself wanting them to win their Euro games against my better judgement which is very weird. It might be because Gerrard is one of their least obnoxious managers but probably because there are no Rangers fans rampaging around Europe. They have also been playing some good football in Europe. There's another thread talking about "standards". I do think Gerrard's European experience is helping him put out a team that believes they can win in Europe.

On balance I want them to get knocked out to avoid the Govan Variant taking hold.

My point wasn’t that penalties shouldn’t count. I’m not a complete idiot. My point was we were being fed a narrative about Rangers being a free scoring team racking up 9 goals where in actual fact they scored 5 from open play. Still impressive but not as overwhelming without the penalties. Looks like I read the room wrong at the time as lots of posters seemed  desperate to praise them. Any praise they ever get from me will be given reluctantly. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

My point wasn’t that penalties shouldn’t count. I’m not a complete idiot. My point was we were being fed a narrative about Rangers being a free scoring team racking up 9 goals where in actual fact they scored 5 from open play. Still impressive but not as overwhelming without the penalties. Looks like I read the room wrong at the time as lots of posters seemed  desperate to praise them. Any praise they ever get from me will be given reluctantly. 

They've done well in Europe, even with penalties. My praise is definitely reluctant though! 

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They've done well in Europe, even with penalties. My praise is definitely reluctant though! 

They’ve definitely benefitted from having a manager with a huge amount of experience of European competition. 

49 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Unlucky Milan.

Nice goal but accidental ball. 

Or not as has been shown......another VAR cock up...clearly no hand ball

Edited by CJGJ

Under the floodlight

A few of the Rangers players look as sluggish ie slug like, maybe to much beer from that glass in the garden.

There is still a fight re co-efficient rankings between Scotland and the Ukraine

Ukraine have Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk still involved with Kiev down 2-0 at home at present.....Shakhtar play Roma later tonight

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Good result for Rangers. They'll be Slavia at home. 

If you mean beat I don’t believe they will. Though having no crowd will be an advantage 

Another classic case of Erik Lamela and his terror of the ball ever touching his right foot. Great turn and run through the defence and then with the goal at his mercy uses the outside of his left foot to try and curve it in. Luckily Kane got the rebound off the post and scored. It’s fascinating to watch the ways of passing and using the ball to keep it on his left at all times.