***Official Aberdeen v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

capital city

We will play worse and win. I thought that was as good a performance at Pittodrie for many a year. Unlike many on here who thought we were rubbish until we scored I disagree. I thought other than their goal and for five mins after that we were very comfortable and played mostly on the front foot. Our crossing from set pieces was woeful but when we did deliver 2 (and we had many) we nearly scored on both those occasions. I never felt Aberdeen overran our midfield, I actually was surprised how well they played! Yes Naismith and Washington gave us a quality boost but that's why we have them. But they only did what they did because of the energy and hard work the team put into the game before they came on. This really was individual mistakes which cost us. Berra knows better than to be caught as he was and I'm not sure Bobby would easily have got the ball before Cosgrove. The sending off was the result of inexperience and the penalty a total brain fart. The winner was a good goal but came from our reformed back 4 having 2 players out of position. The result of the sending off. So there are mitigations for the manager on this occasion. The energy shown today needs to be replicated every week and if it is it will see us ok. If not the manager will be judged accordingly and his future decided for him.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Jambof3tornado

• IveSeenTheLight

• Famous 1874

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We were shit for 60 mins so we can't play folk now because they might get injured? 

How do you know that if they had played longer they would be out for 4 games. 

Surely you are not that dumb.

The two players are obviously not ready for 90 mins.

Don't worry sweet cheeks there will be plenty of chances to have a pop at levein, today is not that day.

132goals1958

Absolutely gutted at losing when we were in the ascendancy at 2-1 up. Really frustrating when the sending off was effectively a double whammy from the free kick .The injury to Soapy was a defining moment as it restricted us to two subs in the latter stages Young Hickey will learn from his mistake but mental strength as well as the physical side of things will see him develop in the not too distant future. If we had the option and with him on the yellow card I would had him replaced as I had a horrible feeling as soon as he went into the challenge.  The last part of the game was a time for experience and cool heads.

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Jordan finished 2nd in the league.  I’d bite your hand off for that.

Did u actually watch Hearts under Jordan or are you quoting the London Hearts web site. Jordan was hounded out of the club and deservedly so.

Fozzyonthefence
16 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

The last time I looked the points from one season don’t roll over to the next so the ****ing about with team formations at the end of last season to prep for the final have **** all to do with this season with the new players we now have.

You’re getting a wee bit and desperately silly now Gambo 

They don’t but it’s still relevant when assessing  a manager’s performance isn’t it?  Cathro didn’t get sacked for a disastrous start to the season, he got sacked for the previous season’s results coupled with the failure to qualify for the league cup.  

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Prof said:

It always amazes me that so called Hearts supporters are prepared to put up with the crap we are watching.

tbf hearts supporters have watched far far worse. I think it’s time to move on but from Craig but he will get the first round of fixtures 

1 minute ago, capital city said:

We will play worse and win. I thought that was as good a performance at Pittodrie for many a year. Unlike many on here who thought we were rubbish until we scored I disagree. I thought other than their goal and for five mins after that we were very comfortable and played mostly on the front foot. Our crossing from set pieces was woeful but when we did deliver 2 (and we had many) we nearly scored on both those occasions. I never felt Aberdeen overran our midfield, I actually was surprised how well they played! Yes Naismith and Washington gave us a quality boost but that's why we have them. But they only did what they did because of the energy and hard work the team put into the game before they came on. This really was individual mistakes which cost us. Berra knows better than to be caught as he was and I'm not sure Bobby would easily have got the ball before Cosgrove. The sending off was the result of inexperience and the penalty a total brain fart. The winner was a good goal but came from our reformed back 4 having 2 players out of position. The result of the sending off. So there are mitigations for the manager on this occasion. The energy shown today needs to be replicated every week and if it is it will see us ok. If not the manager will be judged accordingly and his future decided for him.

Not sure I agree entirely with that mate. We were slowly running out of ideas. Players playing balls without composure, Uche more and more got isolated as usual. We started the first 5 minutes ok but the workrate dropped until it picked up again once behind . It always looked forced when we got into advanced positions with no creativity.

The transformation in us was crazy when we made the changes. Suddenly we looked dangerous every time we went forward. We found time around the box to hold possession and wait for the right moment. We had people running ahead of the ball into dangerous spots left, right and centre.

I hope all our better players stay fit. It makes a massive difference as we seem lost when they aren’t there.  Obvious thing to say but it maybe shows up our lack of quality depth or players lacking with the gut and guile to go and produce in their absence?

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Correct. Close defeat mostly due to a teenager getting sent off. Not the end of the world.

Same people will be us expecting us to dominate celtic

Today’s result won’t define our season.  We lost, as expected, by most without maroon tinted specs.  It’s the manner of defeat that is disappointing.  To get 2-1 up so late on, biggest surprise for me was we scored 2 away to the team likely to finish 3rd.  Shows yet again how much we rely on Naismith though.  He has to stay fit and we need to sign another couple of players still.

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

tbf hearts supporters have watched far far worse.

Yes but the whole point of saving the club and the fans investing their hard earned money into the club was to see improvement in both infrastructure and the team. Forest hump is a million miles away from improving the team.

Captain Sausage
20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Far too much emphasis on being the "away" team. Hitting teams on the counter invites pressure on us and, as we saw today, that forces mistakes.  How are we supposed to counter when we never ger enough bodies forward to support the lone striker? Happened when Lafferty was top and again today. Long throws and set play routines are what we rely on to create chances. 

CL spends far too much time drilling defensive duties into our more creative players. If we really wanted to counter effectively,  we would leave someone in the centre circle when we defend corners. It's common sense.

It’s statistically significant that two identical teams will perform differently, depending on who is at home and who is away. It’s common sense. 

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

It’s statistically significant that two identical teams will perform differently, depending on who is at home and who is away. It’s common sense. 

Are you Austin MacPhee? 

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

kingantti1874

Yes but the whole point of saving the club and the fans investing their hard earned money into the club was to see improvement in both infrastructure and the team. Forest hump is a million miles away from improving the team.

the second wasn’t the point of FOH but generally I take your point, we have been underperforming, we looked much much better today when our top players came on, sadly 2 mistakes and it didn’t last. 

I think it’s time for levein to go, it’s passed the point of no return, we could win 5 and it would go quiet but then we’d lose one and it would be like this again, the support will never be united behind the current manager.. for that reason I’d say he has to go.. 

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

What a drama queen. 

No just someone who from past experience who thinks we should win at a Pittodrie. There no point in being satisfied by a Hearts team that regularly loses.

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Are you Austin MacPhee? 

Imagine taking statistical analysis and applying it. Like, just imagine.

Jesus wept. 

No just someone who from past experience who thinks we should win at a Pittodrie. There no point in being satisfied by a Hearts team that regularly loses.

What past experience has led you to believe we should win at pittodrie.

It is encouraging from a defeat that despite playing badly we almost won away to Aberdeen despite not having a central midfield in place

goals away from home and better players still to come into the first team in time for our home game against Ross County

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Watching the club since the late 1950’s.

1 minute ago, Prof said:

Watching the club since the late 1950’s.

Ahh ok then, I would have thought you would be a bit more resilient to a defeat away from home. It's not unusual or unexpected.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I can't speak for Mr Prof, but from past experiences I've gathered that winners win games and losers lose games.

Sadly, a sizeable chunk of the Kickbackerati seem comfortable making endless excuses for continued membership of the latter category.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I can't speak for Mr Prof, but from past experiences I've gathered that winners win games and losers lose games.

Sadly, a sizeable chunk of the Kickbackerati seem comfortable making endless excuses for continued membership of the latter category.

That's why KB swings from everything is great to everything is shit. No logic or middle ground. Either winners or losers. What if we draw ?

capital city
17 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Not sure I agree entirely with that mate. We were slowly running out of ideas. Players playing balls without composure, Uche more and more got isolated as usual. We started the first 5 minutes ok but the workrate dropped until it picked up again once behind . It always looked forced when we got into advanced positions with no creativity.

The transformation in us was crazy when we made the changes. Suddenly we looked dangerous every time we went forward. We found time around the box to hold possession and wait for the right moment. We had people running ahead of the ball into dangerous spots left, right and centre.

I hope all our better players stay fit. It makes a massive difference as we seem lost when they aren’t there.  Obvious thing to say but it maybe shows up our lack of quality depth or players lacking with the gut and guile to go and produce in their absence?

If you looked at the opposition they were struggling to get any grip on the game. Why would that be? Their midfield was hardly dominating. We did a lot of good hard work in that first half as well as the second, May not be "liquid football" but who does play that in our league? I judge us by the team's around us and not some incredibly high and unjustified expectations. We are not Man City. We are not a club with a huge reputation for winning things and sweeping all aside. We have a small budget but comparable to Aberdeen and today I thought we were better in most departments. Cosgrove was the difference for them. When the changes were made I was pretty sure they would give us the quality we were missing and so it proved. But a platform had been built. The problem for us was the errors. We do that too often and if we could find a way to cut those out we will be in the hunt for 3rd without question.  The question is are the players good enough to do that? And are the coaching staff up to the job coaching it out of them? We will find out soon enough. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

That's why KB swings from everything is great to everything is shit. No logic or middle ground. Either winners or losers. What if we draw ?

Winners don't play for a point. No prizes for a draw. 

Unless you're labouring under the fashionable impression that it's the taking part that counts.

43 minutes ago, Prof said:

It always amazes me that so called Hearts supporters are prepared to put up with the crap we are watching.

It always amazes me that so called Hearts supporters are not prepared to support the team after 1 game of the league season.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Unless you're labouring under the fashionable impression that it's the taking part that counts.

1 point for a draw, which is a prize. But we didn't play for a draw

2 minutes ago, capital city said:

If you looked at the opposition they were struggling to get any grip on the game. Why would that be? Their midfield was hardly dominating. We did a lot of good hard work in that first half as well as the second, May not be "liquid football" but who does play that in our league? I judge us by the team's around us and not some incredibly high and unjustified expectations. We are not Man City. We are not a club with a huge reputation for winning things and sweeping all aside. We have a small budget but comparable to Aberdeen and today I thought we were better in most departments. Cosgrove was the difference for them. When the changes were made I was pretty sure they would give us the quality we were missing and so it proved. But a platform had been built. The problem for us was the errors. We do that too often and if we could find a way to cut those out we will be in the hunt for 3rd without question.  The question is are the players good enough to do that? And are the coaching staff up to the job coaching it out of them? We will find out soon enough. 

I do look at the opposition but it’s irrelevant whether we dominated or they did or didn’t. 

I’m looking at our efficiency in creating chances, taking chances or doing the key things well. We didn’t do these things well until the changes. 

The same things will happen with less effective players or in a system that is only designed to contain. Not sure what the Man City point is for, are you saying we can’t get players good enough to do the damage at our level in the SPL?

We’ve had them in the past, in fact, we have a few now but they need to stay fit and be played together to get an understanding. Not be chopped and changed without good reason. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, jambopilms said:

1 point for a draw, which is a prize. But we didn't play for a draw

I never said that we did.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Entertaining game. 

Ref was annoying, 

We scored two, Naismith wanting Hearts to win cheers me up. 

Watching Zlamal sort of come out, then go back, caused a small rip in reality.

We lose too many goals from mistakes these days, and I feel sad about Berra.

If Haring comes back and stays fit, with a tough new midfielder, we will score more than two in games, Imo. 

Hearts are quite a fun attacking team, if not quite firing on all cylinders. I don't see Levein as our long-term manager either, I think he is better elsewhere tho. But Hearts are obviously better than some Hearts fans seem to think they are.  

I hope, and believe we will score lots of goals this season. 

A welcome bit of realism and positivity there. 👍

I really hope we don't persevere with 3 at the back. The ball just ended up with Dikamona and Halkett in the wide centre back positions with no options except a hopeful ball up the line for a patently unfit Uche to chase.

I've lost count of the times I've watched us start like this, struggle, and have to go a 4 to try and save the game. Obviously Naismith is a huge factor, but switching to 4 at the back with a holding mid (Smith) changed the game in our favour, and gave us a platform to play football. I suppose the length of Souttar's injury might force his hand, but it's so clear that it just doesn't work for us.

1 minute ago, mcphantom said:

I really hope we don't persevere with 3 at the back. The ball just ended up with Dikamona and Halkett in the wide centre back positions with no options except a hopeful ball up the line for a patently unfit Uche to chase.

I've lost count of the times I've watched us start like this, struggle, and have to go a 4 to try and save the game. Obviously Naismith is a huge factor, but switching to 4 at the back with a holding mid (Smith) changed the game in our favour, and gave us a platform to play football. I suppose the length of Souttar's injury might force his hand, but it's so clear that it just doesn't work for us.

Agree.  Never felt Halkett looked happy playing there today and it looked the same in training during the week.

We end up knocking it around the back then hit a 50/50 long ball towards Uche.

The midfield needs to be stronger and take more responsibility to take the ball and work it.  The movement obviously isn’t good enough if the centre backs are forced to go long. 

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree.  Never felt Halkett looked happy playing there today and it looked the same in training during the week.

The midfield needs to be stronger and take more responsibility to take the ball and work it.  The movement obviously isn’t good enough if the centre backs are forced to go long. 

Yup, it's a difficult system to get right, and we absolutely don't have the players for it. Both starting midfielders today would be better in a 3 in the middle system. Isn't right for our full backs either, who were one of the positives from the league cup group.

40 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Weren’t we 2-1 up? 

37 minutes ago, graygo said:

It always amazes me that so called Hearts supporters are not prepared to support the team after 1 game of the league season.

I do support the team. Season ticket FOH and watched the club since late 1950’s. so stop that nonsense about supporters who point is the team is crap and then claim otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Weren’t we 2-1 up? 

And then got beat. No prizes for losing.

Edited by Prof

15 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’m hoping that when/if Whelan signs he is the dominant midfielder we’ve been looking for and can give the ball to Clare/Naismith/Walker to actually run with the ball

35 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Entertaining game. 

Ref was annoying, 

We scored two, Naismith wanting Hearts to win cheers me up. 

Watching Zlamal sort of come out, then go back, caused a small rip in reality.

We lose too many goals from mistakes these days, and I feel sad about Berra.

If Haring comes back and stays fit, with a tough new midfielder, we will score more than two in games, Imo. 

Hearts are quite a fun attacking team, if not quite firing on all cylinders. I don't see Levein as our long-term manager either, I think he is better elsewhere tho. But Hearts are obviously better than some Hearts fans seem to think they are.  

I hope, and believe we will score lots of goals this season. 

We might need a midfielder and Harring back for Harring to play centre half with Halkett if Souttar is out and Berra isn’t going to improve. I’d be gutted on all counts if this is the case, sad for Berra a real Hearts man and the loss of Souttar! Hopefully we go back to a 4 at the back and Berra and Halkett form a partnership but time will tell!

Edited by Rudy T

1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Prof you sure don't behave like a fan aged late 60/70.

Yes I’m almost 70 but I’m fed up with the prospect of another season of mediocrity under Forest Hump.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Did we win?

No but the tactics had us leading and everyone was made up before a silly tackle from a 17 year old and another daft one from a player a lot of naysayers are screaming for cost us the game as I see it.

I’m not really defending CL but I don’t blame him for today.

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

The last time I looked the points from one season don’t roll over to the next so the ****ing about with team formations at the end of last season to prep for the final have **** all to do with this season with the new players we now have.

You’re getting a wee bit and desperately silly now Gambo 

So is your desperation to say that Levein can do no wrong.

Creepy actually.

That's one of your best yet tbh.

Thankfully I know you are more Intellegent than your posts on here suggest.

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

the ****ing about with team formations at the end of last season to prep for the final

We LOST that as well.

maroonsgotop
8 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

No but the tactics had us leading and everyone was made up before a silly tackle from a 17 year old and another daft one from a player a lot of naysayers are screaming for cost us the game as I see it.

pretty much spot on. We had the game won at 2-1 and were looking likely to add more until those 2 crazy tackles. From memory their move started from our corner

Edited by maroonsgotop

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Mate, I think you've jumped in to the middle of a discussion I was having with another poster and got the wrong end of the stick.

I'm not Levein bashing here, I was merely pointing out the historical difference between winners and losers.

However you want to apportion blame for todays result within the context of our recent form, and whichever category you want to file Levein under, is entirely subjective, and entirely up to you.

9 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m not really defending CL but I don’t blame him for today

So CL wasn’t the manager today. 

2 minutes ago, Prof said:

So CL wasn’t the manager today. 

Hearts fans like you really get on my tits . You really would be better sodding off to .net with the rest of your ilk. 

Im no lover of Craig and he has a lot of faults but to blame him for today is laughable. 

We had our noses in front against tough opponents before two horrendous decisions have cost us . You'll be on here again bleating your Heart out after 20 mins next Sat if it's still 0-0 . We don't need fans like you  find something else to do with your time if you can't support your team and take the rest of the drainers with you . 

After watching the highlights I would blame bobby more than Berra. Backs off and makes it easier for cosgrove. Big uche was lucky he didn’t get a red too for taking out McKenna 

Just now, ramrod said:

Hearts fans like you really get on my tits . You really would be better sodding off to .net with the rest of your ilk. 

Im no lover of Craig and he has a lot of faults but to blame him for today is laughable. 

We had our noses in front against tough opponents before two horrendous decisions have cost us . You'll be on here again bleating your Heart out after 20 mins next Sat if it's still 0-0 . We don't need fans like you  find something else to do with your time if you can't support your team and take the rest of the drainers with you . 

And the garbage you spout makes you sound like a Hobo. What gives you the right to say Hearts don’t need supporters like me. You want to grow up and make serious comments as to why we cannot win after being up 2-1 and making a complete erse of our LC group against minnows. 

11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Mate, I think you've jumped in to the middle of a discussion I was having with another poster and got the wrong end of the stick.

I'm not Levein bashing here, I was merely pointing out the historical difference between winners and losers.

However you want to apportion blame for todays result within the context of our recent form, and whichever category you want to file Levein under, is entirely subjective, and entirely up to you.

Apologies it sounded like you were.

IMO CL sets us up not to lose, particularly away from home and only when we concede does he go positive. Did it today and it almost worked. 

I get that folk are pissed off we lost from a winning position but I don’t blame the manager for that today. I blame the players who made the mistakes.

Yes he picks the team/signs those players but, you can’t legislate for daft tackles.

I will agree that the keeper needs replaced. Consistently showing not good enough

portobellojambo1

Thought for just a few minutes today we were going to get a superb result up there. The whole team changed from the minute Naismith came onto the park, a lot of the play before that was in the air and aimed at Uche, who had a good opening 10 minutes but then offered little else (following his introduction along with Naismith Washington looked a better option up front, and next week at Tynecastle I'd like to see us start with him, Naismith and Walker in forward positions). We should have had a free kick before they played the ball forward for their opening goal, but then both Berra and Zlamal contributed to that opener, I was hoping that when he went for the ball in the air Christophe was just going to put it out of play and give the defence time to reorganise. We did well to get 2-1 in front and I might be out of synch here but I did feel a bit sorry for Hickey, and the tackle which got him sent off. He was left with the choice of bringing McGinn down or allowing him to continue running into the penalty area, and in hindsight he made the wrong choice. I think there would have been no complaints from Aberdeen if the match had finished 2-2  but they won it with a good late goal. It is difficult to be anything other than disappointed when HMFC lose but the 2nd half play pre the penalty incident did provide something worth watching, and with a bit more care could have got us at least a point.

jamboiain13

After watching the highlights I think it looks like we were initially unfairly treated with the treatment of UChe which had it been Berra on Cosgrove then I am sure the ref would've blown for a foul.  Instead Aberdeen hoof the ball up to Cosgrove via a pathetic / unlucky defensive header attempt by Berra and hey presto 1-0 down.  
Fast forward to 76th minute and we are looking like deserved winners.  Up step Niall McGinn to use all his experience to tempt Hickey into bringing him down to ensure he gets a second yellow.  If young Aaron hadn't been on that tightrope I am almost 100% sure McGinn stays on his feet.  Peno next and McGinn is cute yet again ( not saying it wasn't a pen but he was defo being cute and using all the tricks of his trade to give the ref no choice, unless it is a Hearts player v either of the ugly sisters then defo no pen!)
The winner is a sublime strike but nobody,  absolutely NOBODY can tell me McGinn meant that back heel pass to Hedges...lucky sheepshaggin bassas.  
As an aside...is there another set of fans outwith the great unwashed trio who moan and complain about the physical side of our game whilst they employ a bunch of hatchet men brick shit houses in their defence / midfield who in their eyes are never late with tackles or jump using their arms for leverage whilst poking out a cheeky wee elbow.
Gutted for the fans who travelled today and saw 3 points cruelly ripped away in the dying mins.  I was going before my suspension failed on my car.  Gutted for the team, especially Naisy who makes us look a much better side and gutted that Bobby will probably never be anywhere near good enough a goalie and that he is most likely the worst keeper I have ever seen facing a penalty