***Official Aberdeen v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, Five to One said:

I’m not holding my breath tbh. I’d also recommend getting business done before the season starts. Other clubs seem to manage it. 

Some do, some don't. Always depends on the circumstances. Pound for pound, who are the best run big club in England? Tottenham. And Levy's something else when it comes to brinkmanship and squeezing the absolute max out of sales/absolute minimum out of buys.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Jambof3tornado

• IveSeenTheLight

• neilnunb

Cruyff Turn
12 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

In typical fashion, Hearts manager Craig Levein was in no mood for beating around the bush after the dramatic end to today's game. 

Speaking to BBC Scotland, he said: "Football is cruel and I should have been talking after this game about a lot of the positives that happened in our game today. But instead I'm ruing the poor decision making that we had on two occasions for two goals."

Two moments of madness from individuals in the Hearts team ended up costing their side dearly and Craig Levein was all too aware of that after the match.

"Even if we had come away with 2-2 I'd still be a little bit disappointed because I felt that we deserved more than that," said the Hearts manager.

"And then the extra man made a difference. Clevid [Dikamona] made a stupid decision to leave a foot in at the penalty area when he didn't need to. And that has cost us. So from my point of view I'm ruing those silly decisions that we made. 

"To come here and compete the way we did made me really happy. But to lose the game was a real shame."

Despite the failure to take any points from the game, there were positives from Hearts' performance that Craig Levein took note of. 

Speaking to BBC Scotland, he said: "Steven Naismith would obviously be in the team from the beginning if he was 100% but those minutes on the pitch would have helped him. 

"He comes on and scores with his first touch. Which is great for him and great for the team. I thought Conor [Washington] was very good with his running off of Uche [Ikpeazu]. I could stand here and talk for a while with the things I was pleased with but ultimately we didn't win the game."

John Souttar was forced to come off late in the first half during today's clash with Aberdeen. 

When asked about an update on his situation, Craig Levein said: "He's rolled his ankle. So the ligaments would have been stretched. I don't know yet so we'll just have to wait and see."

No doubt somebody muppet will say “same old shite fae Levein” when infact everything he says is exactly correct. Dikamona = arsehole

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Hearts fans that wanted the Jambo soldier in the team every week fffs.

Squad filler.

Captain Sausage
16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We start the game with the set up we finish with. Comprendes? Or should we check what formation Aberdeen are playing before we do something radical like playing 2 up top?

We set up to counter them. The home team. Who are probably slightly stronger than us. It’s common sense man, honestly. The failure of many to grasp this is either deliberate or sheer ignorance. 

24 minutes ago, Prof said:

Excuses excuses excuses. That’s all we hear. Better to blame a youngster, the ref and goalie, rather than the man in charge.

I don't think anyone is doing that. Levein had 65 minutes before Naismith came on to try and save the day. Thats pretty much 2/3rds of the game wasted watching the ball be launched from one end of the pitch to the other. Every minute matters and we should be trying to win the game from the start, rather than leaving things to the skin of our teeth. 

Individual errors cost us but our initial game plan was poor. 

Inch Hearts
34 minutes ago, Simmo said:

Great to read some sense in a post. Not nearly enough posters like your goodself, sadj. Far too many doom and gloom merchants I'm afraid. Thank goodness they won't be picking the team or appointing a new manager when FOH take over.

Exactly no change is needed and everything is fantastic mate. 

33 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Aw give a rest eh!  All Hearts fans are hurting after that one!  

Encouraging signs and the team gave 100% - let’s follow that up with the same committed performance against Ross Co next week!

Still feel the management need a rethink as the season goes on and how we approach away matches.  In truth, it was a 15 minute cameo of good, attacking football with the changes made that saw us turn it around, as up until then it was stretched,  stuffy, looking unlikely we’d do anything. 

Good players simply bring everything better and more thorough to the park which we saw with Naismith and Washington. Sometimes our care in passing or lack of vision and awareness is the bare minimum without these players. 

Edited by Debut 4

Robbo-Jambo
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't think anyone is doing that. Levein had 65 minutes before Naismith came on to try and save the day. Thats pretty much 2/3rds of the game wasted watching the ball be launched from one end of the pitch to the other. Every minute matters and we should be trying to win the game from the start, rather than leaving things to the skin of our teeth. 

Individual errors cost us but our initial game plan was poor. 

Totally agree, why can we start games like that. 

There is a fear factor with Levein away from home. Always has been. 

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

In fairness, they were without Taylor, Main, Bryson, Devlin. And started McGinn and Hedges on the bench. 

They had also played a match less than 70 hours previously and had one eye on their next match in 4 days time. 

Mcginn is a key man, not sure how you can say Taylor, Main or Bryson are their main men, not yet anyway.

Not sure of your point either on the second part.

They beat us 3-2, I'll move on to the next game. 

It should have been ten
58 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

So called? 

Being going to games home and away for over 40 years. 

Levein was one of my favourite players but he is not a good manager. 

You bang on though and slag folk off who you don't agree with you. 

It's a ******* forum or do you no get that. 

Aye so called!! 

Been going to games home and away around the same amount of time as you so you’ll know we’ve had it far worse than this.

You bang in though and continually slag off a manager who is going absolutely nowhere soon.

Supporters are meant to ******* support the team or do you no get that.

Edited by It should have been ten

6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Totally agree, why can we start games like that. 

There is a fear factor with Levein away from home. Always has been. 

Ffs. How many hearts teams have you seen over the years dominate and control games for 90 mins, away from home.

Plenty of times to knock levein but not today or the cup final.

Nothing to do with fear or negativity, just common sense to not expect to dominate games away from home against decent teams.

Edited by jambopilms

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Still feel the management need a rethink as the season goes on and how we approach away matches.  In truth, it was a 15 minute cameo of good, attacking football with the changes made that saw us turn it around, as up until then it was stretched,  stuffy, looking unlikely we’d do anything. 

Good players simply bring everything better and more thorough to the park which we saw with Naismith and Washington. Sometimes our care in passing or lack of vision and awareness is the bare minimum without these players. 

Fair points. I agree.

In all honesty, tho  it was our home form v the bottom six that cost us last season, we were 2/2 v Killie, 2/2 v Aberdeen, 1v1 v hibs, celtic was a 1-3, only Rangers was poor but imo we saved all our brain farts for the games v them, we can't do that again.

Our away form mirrored that to an extent as well, but in general it was slightly on the above average in terms of away form for us in general last season. 

The next few games will tell us if we are better at breaking down the stuffy teams and if we do we will be up in the mixer for 3rd, if not then CL will have to go as we'll struggle all season , again.

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Aw give a rest eh!  All Hearts fans are hurting after that one!  

Encouraging signs and the team gave 100% - let’s follow that up with the same committed performance against Ross Co next week!

agreed.

It says something that I wasn’t even slightly surprised that immediately after Hearts took the lead, we got a red card and Aberdeen got a penalty.

I wasn’t watching, so I don’t know whether it says something about our game management or about the standard of refereeing, though.

By far the worst thing about today was Souttar getting injured, but from what CL is saying it may not be as bad as I feared.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

At home, possibly.

Away? Nah.

Tell me then - who the **** were the two players (neither of whom started because they were not fully fit) who came on today (when we were away from home?)

1 hour ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Hickey will learn from that, inexperience was a factor in being sent off, Aberdeen may still have scored from the counter attack but at least still would have been 11 a side.

First goal Berra gets caught under the ball if Zlamal comes out and Cosgrove beats him to the ball your probably going to be down to 10 early doors. Although I believe Bobby was in pole position to get there first. 

In regards to the penalty I hope Dikamona offered to buy McGinn a drink before trying to pump him. Why he got so tight with McGinn going away from goal. 

3rd goal Aberdeen had an overload due to us being a man short however was a good finish unfortunately.

We done well to turn things around the subs made a great impact. The frustrating thing for me is why do we not start the games in an attacking style rather than when we go a goal down. 

Because the players we have to play the way we did until we went down to 10 men weren’t fit enough to start the game? And don’t tell me only Naismith made a difference - Washington did too.

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Nope.  Not away from home.  No danger. 

See first answer above

58 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We were awful for 65mins. Zero in the way of any football played, even you can't be happy with that.

You happy to write off 65mins of a game away to rivals just because they were shite also?

I gave Levein credit for positive changes and the difference was night and day.

Ultimately we have lost another league game, our recent league record does not make good reading.

Our league record this season reads played one lost one. 

Wanted more from it, deserved more from it, but we’ll get our first win next game.

Edited by Jammy T

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, maroonedinbriz said:

Positives? Please advise.

They must be shite as well as they only beat a horrendous, hoofball,  Hearts team managed by the loser  3-2 at home and only after we got a man sent off.

There you go.

Robbo-Jambo
8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Ffs. How many hearts teams have you seen over the years dominate and control games for 90 mins, away from home.

Plenty of times to knock levein but not today or the cup final.

Nothing to do with fear or negativity, just common sense to not expect to dominate games away from home against decent teams.

Aye OK pal. 

Didn't say dominate for 90mins but if we had started with the same attitude as we did after 65 mins we would have won. 

Simple as that Ffs as you say 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

45 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

22 fouls - sounds like the sheep were conning the ref or he was at it 

Don Robertson is just another in the conveyor belt of absolute shite of officials to skitter its way out of the Refereeing Department at Hampden. An abysmal official who I believe was a complete homer today. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

It says something that I wasn’t even slightly surprised that immediately after Hearts took the lead, we got a red card and Aberdeen got a penalty.

I wasn’t watching, so I don’t know whether it says something about our game management or about the standard of refereeing, though.

By far the worst thing about today was Souttar getting injured, but from what CL is saying it may not be as bad as I feared.

Bad luck and inexperience on the part of Hickey - who has fully earned his place in the team - but got a deserved second yellow.

Dikamona - who was only on because Souttar was injured - then had a brain fart from the free kick that saw Hickey sent off - from which brain fart they got a pen.

As per usual Bobby got nowhere near saving the pen.

Robbo-Jambo
8 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Pot and kettle :rolleyes5:

Really? 

Do you know me then.

Dont think we have met myself 

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye OK pal. 

Didn't say dominate for 90mins but if we had started with the same attitude as we did after 65 mins we would have won. 

How do you start with the same attitude without your two best attacking players. It's a different ball game. When you have spells not playing well it's not as simple as levein saying play better or attack more.

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye OK pal. 

Didn't say dominate but if we had started with the same attitude as we did after 65 mins we would have won. 

Simple as that Ffs 

The change in attitude/tempo was Naismith and Washington coming on. I think we need to look at who else we have to create goals. Walker wasn't scoring today until the changes came. We're crying out for someone who can get on the ball and drive us forward. A Milinkovic type player.

It worries me that we are so devoid of creativity when Naismith isn't on the park. His injury record isn't great and suggests we will be without him at some point this season. If we can't score without him we're doomed for another midtable finish IMO.

All in all a frustrating afternoon but not unsurprising. Negatives being our propensity to concede poor goals (without question the biggest difference between Levein's first spell and second) and our lack of possession and quality until we made the subs. 

Better players and crucially a goalscorer make such a difference though. Brilliant poachers goal and the second goal was a result of possession and attacking transition in action. This is what the focus needs to be on at Oriam going forward and is absolutely critical we show more of this to break down Ross County on Saturday - that was our biggest issue in the second half of last season. 

Edited by Jodami

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Tell me then - who the **** were the two players (neither of whom started because they were not fully fit) who came on today (when we were away from home?)

What has the identity of the two players who came on today got to do with my opinion that we won't start games away from home in the manner that we played for our wee 10 minute golden spell today?

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

Bad luck and inexperience on the part of Hickey - who has fully earned his place in the team - but got a deserved second yellow.

Dikamona - who was only on because Souttar was injured - then had a brain fart from the free kick that saw Hickey sent off - from which brain fart they got a pen.

As per usual Bobby got nowhere near saving the pen.

Bobby’s record for penalties isn’t great, but he was within a whisker of saving the one in the Cup Final.

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair points. I agree.

In all honesty, tho  it was our home form v the bottom six that cost us last season, we were 2/2 v Killie, 2/2 v Aberdeen, 1v1 v hibs, celtic was a 1-3, only Rangers was poor but imo we saved all our brain farts for the games v them, we can't do that again.

Our away form mirrored that to an extent as well, but in general it was slightly on the above average in terms of away form for us in general last season. 

The next few games will tell us if we are better at breaking down the stuffy teams and if we do we will be up in the mixer for 3rd, if not then CL will have to go as we'll struggle all season , again.

Yip, agree.  At home I hope we see mostly full throttle performances and a big percentage of wins. There’ll always be those days at Tynie when a team sits in and it’s a slog, but we must become better at finding a way to edge those matches. 

3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye OK pal. 

Or if we hadn’t gone down to 10 men we wouldn’t have lost?

Maybe, eh?

Attitude wasn’t the problem from the start - we were up for it and we were physical and in their faces. Quality wasn’t there - but the key elements of our quality was on the bench because neither could play 90 minutes.

Would you have preferred that we had played Naismith and Washington from the start and won but ****ed them out bee for the next 4 games?

You probably would have.....

Leveins Battalion

Realism needs to set in that we are a top 6 team,nothing else,until we sign better than Zlamal,Dikamona,McLean,Wighton,Bozanic etc we wont achieve anything.

Robbo-Jambo
14 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Aye so called!! 

Been going to games home and away around the same amount of time as you so you’ll know we’ve had it far worse than this.

You bang in though and continually slag off a manager who is going absolutely nowhere soon.

Supporters are meant to ******* support the team or do you no get that.

It's a fecking football forum about different views. 

Dont need to agree with you do I or are you always right? 

51 minutes ago, Prof said:

Excuses excuses excuses. That’s all we hear. Better to blame a youngster, the ref and goalie, rather than the man in charge.

Seriously what did you expect him to say? That certain individuals were 5hite? That’s what he is saying and you can’t blame CL for these mistakes. I’m still on my way home from the game, gutted, disappointed but I was more encouraged than I have been for a while. We’re still a few good players short and I’m sure CL more than anyone knows this.

To compound things even more, I couldn’t see us losing and we shouldn't  have, so put £100 on us at 3/1 to win the game. We didn’t get the breaks today and that was the different for getting nil points instead of 3 points. We’ll be fine this year! 

13 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Our league record this season reads played one lost one. 

Wanted more from it, deserved more from it, but we’ll get our first win next game.

Our league record is something like 1 win in 13*, he needs to win the next game and the game after that and the game after that......

*can't be bothered checking so may be wrong but won't be far away.

Edited by Gambo

Enzo Chiefo
25 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

We set up to counter them. The home team. Who are probably slightly stronger than us. It’s common sense man, honestly. The failure of many to grasp this is either deliberate or sheer ignorance. 

Far too much emphasis on being the "away" team. Hitting teams on the counter invites pressure on us and, as we saw today, that forces mistakes.  How are we supposed to counter when we never ger enough bodies forward to support the lone striker? Happened when Lafferty was top and again today. Long throws and set play routines are what we rely on to create chances. 

CL spends far too much time drilling defensive duties into our more creative players. If we really wanted to counter effectively,  we would leave someone in the centre circle when we defend corners. It's common sense.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Realism needs to set in that we are a top 6 team,nothing else,until we sign better than Zlamal,Dikamona,McLean,Wighton,Bozanic etc we wont achieve anything.

Only one of whom started today.

Daftest post of the thread goes to Leveins Battalion.

Congrats - it’s a high bar!

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Jammy T said:

Only one of whom started today.

Daftest post of the thread goes to Leveins Battalion.

Congrats - it’s a high bar!

Options Jammy T Options,money taken up by garbage.

46 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Evening news ratings...

Zdenek Zlamal: Great save to keep out Jon Gallagher’s thunderous 20-yard strike in first half. Helpless with all three goals. 6

Christophe Berra: Misjudged header in lead-up to Cosgrove opener. Diving header tipped over by Joe Lewis in first half. Generally held his own in gruelling physical battle with Cosgrove. 6

Jesus ****ing christ 

Zlamal the save from Gallgher was routine , helpless with the pen as always and the thurd was a great finish but the first he was 99% at fault for. 4

Berra - indecisive header gave Zlamal the decision to make not Berras fault Zlamal made the wrong one. Was ok otherwise 5 

How many times have we read a poster with “it will turn out right if we wait”. Sad thing is we are now so awful that we are on a par with the Joe Jordan and McLean teams.

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Our league record is something like 1 win in 13, he needs to win the next game and the game after that and the game after that......

The last time I looked the points from one season don’t roll over to the next so the ****ing about with team formations at the end of last season to prep for the final have **** all to do with this season with the new players we now have.

You’re getting a wee bit and desperately silly now Gambo 

Edited by Jammy T

1 minute ago, Prof said:

How many times have we read a poster with “it will turn out right if we wait”. Sad thing is we are now so awful that we are on a par with the Joe Jordan and McLean teams.

We read a lot with Neilson in charge that we were heading for the bottom 6 but we kept getting higher and higher up the league.

Weird.

5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

5 players, 4 of whom were not in the starting line up and 1 only got on due to an injury.

You'll need better examples than that.

4 minutes ago, Prof said:

:rofl: 

mrmarkus1981

For what it's worth I can take the minor defeats against Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers. I'm just scared that we won't be able to beat Hibs, Motherwell, Ross County...... Etc

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

We read a lot with Neilson in charge that we were heading for the bottom 6 but we kept getting higher and higher up the league.

Weird.

How long have you been watching Hearts? Neilson had the team at second and third. Under CL we are stuck at 6th.

38 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

In fairness, they were without Taylor, Main, Bryson, Devlin. And started McGinn and Hedges on the bench. 

They had also played a match less than 70 hours previously and had one eye on their next match in 4 days time. 

Yeah but apart from that......... 

Robbo-Jambo
8 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Or if we hadn’t gone down to 10 men we wouldn’t have lost?

Maybe, eh?

Attitude wasn’t the problem from the start - we were up for it and we were physical and in their faces. Quality wasn’t there - but the key elements of our quality was on the bench because neither could play 90 minutes.

Would you have preferred that we had played Naismith and Washington from the start and won but ****ed them out bee for the next 4 games?

You probably would have.....

We were shit for 60 mins so we can't play folk now because they might get injured? 

How do you know that if they had played longer they would be out for 4 games. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

:rofl: 

It always amazes me that so called Hearts supporters are prepared to put up with the crap we are watching.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Prof said:

Jordan finished 2nd in the league.  I’d bite your hand off for that.

1 minute ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

For what it's worth I can take the minor defeats against Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers. I'm just scared that we won't be able to beat Hibs, Motherwell, Ross County...... Etc

Correct. Close defeat mostly due to a teenager getting sent off. Not the end of the world.

Same people will be us expecting us to dominate celtic