• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Maroon Sailor

• frankblack

• AlimOzturk

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Nixie said:

The bus drivers should all be sacked and get new ones in.

It's a revolving door as it is

Sawdust Caesar
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

My understanding--which is admittedly limited--is they would be guilty of Scots common law theft. The reason being, common law theft is simply "the wrongful appropriation of the property of another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other person of his or her possession". The key is that possessing what's been "stolen" is not a required element under Scots law--just that you've acted in a way that led to the property belonging to someone else ending up out of their hands. And that's exactly what the drivers would be doing if they intentionally let people on the bus for free.

Cheers, thanks for the explanation. Guess I wont be getting a free bus ride into work on Friday.

1 hour ago, Nixie said:

The bus drivers should all be sacked and get new ones in.

Brilliant idea and what do the people that rely on buses do while Lothain train up replacements for the 600+ drivers that voted to strike?

25 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Brilliant idea and what do the people that rely on buses do while Lothain train up replacements for the 600+ drivers that voted to strike?

Our awesome tram system of course. Takes you to all corners of Edinburgh and beyond...

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Our awesome tram system of course. Takes you to all corners of Edinburgh and beyond...

:laugh:

7 hours ago, TheStig said:

I actually forgot about them 😂 for the money wasted on them we could have fixed the roads and bought a load of new buses. I bet the tourists love going into town from the airport and seeing broomhouse.

Riddley Walker
34 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I actually forgot about them 😂 for the money wasted on them we could have fixed the roads and bought a load of new buses. I bet the tourists love going into town from the airport and seeing broomhouse.

I am no fan of the trams, however it's good that as a modern city we've got more than one way on public transport to get to and from the airport. 

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

I am no fan of the trams, however it's good that as a modern city we've got more than one way on public transport to get to and from the airport. 

Most people have to get a bus to get a tram to take you to the airport

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Most people have to get a bus to get a tram to take you to the airport

Exactly.

It’s a tourist tram.

4 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

There was already an incredibly efficient bus service doing it. A bus service that you can now get all over the town to get to the airport. 

Why take a bus into the town when, for example In craigmillar you can get the number 300 right to the airport. Makes  I sense at all. Waste of money

3fingersreid

Lothian buses bringing in “ workers” from other areas to run the buses whilst the legally followed industrial action( as far as I’m aware it is)  is to take place .

All that will do is worsen relations between management and Unite.  Having been a union member for 25 years and a chapel official for 14 of these I’ll need to ask the driver of any bus I get on if he’s an employee or a “temporary driver”  . If it’s the later I guess I’ll be taking a wee walk to my destination.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Lothian buses bringing in “ workers” from other areas to run the buses whilst the legally followed industrial action( as far as I’m aware it is)  is to take place .

All that will do is worsen relations between management and Unite.  Having been a union member for 25 years and a chapel official for 14 of these I’ll need to ask the driver of any bus I get on if he’s an employee or a “temporary driver”  . If it’s the later I guess I’ll be taking a wee walk to my destination.

Looks like LB and in particular Hall haven’t learned anything.

Are you in the printing industry?

3fingersreid
11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Looks like LB and in particular Hall haven’t learned anything.

Are you in the printing industry?

I was many years ago , I’m guessing you were connected to it too? 

I’m also guessing one or two on here might’ve spat out their coffee when getting to a certain word and put me on a watch list 😂😂

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I was many years ago , I’m guessing you were connected to it too? 

I’m also guessing one or two on here might’ve spat out their coffee when getting to a certain word and put me on a watch list 😂😂

It brought back memories when I was the Father of the Chapel😀

Possibly a few have splattered their coffee😉

Still beggars belief how a qualified PCV or HGV driver can strike a ****ing bridge. First thing that is drilled into you through training and subsequent mod 4 training is always be aware of the height of your vehicle. To then go full pelt a a bridge causing the above damage means is just utter stupidity

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Still beggars belief how a qualified PCV or HGV driver can strike a ****ing bridge. First thing that is drilled into you through training and subsequent mod 4 training is always be aware of the height of your vehicle. To then go full pelt a a bridge causing the above damage means is just utter stupidity

Imagine if there had been passengers on the upper deck.

That’ll be another bus being used for the tourists.

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

They have warning stickers in the cabs for that bridge and the height of the bus is written in the cab and on the bridge. The driver has been charged, gives the rest of us a bad name when someone does something that idiotic.

Maroon Sailor
31 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Must be a LothianCountry thing

This guy sliced the roof off at the Western General by taking the wrong road 

IMG_4224.JPG

8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

People depend on buses to get to work.  A 3 to 6hour round trip walking isn't good for elderly and others.

No sympathy - they are ****ing over Edinburgh's workers.  It isn't like they have even made specific examples of complaints against specific people for bullying and harassment.

Sometimes you just have to keep your head down and get on with the job.  Either that or find somewhere better to work.

Thats been my situation throughout my career.  Work isn't there for your social life - its to earn a living.

Edited by frankblack

53 minutes ago, Herbert said:

They have warning stickers in the cabs for that bridge and the height of the bus is written in the cab and on the bridge. The driver has been charged, gives the rest of us a bad name when someone does something that idiotic.

I take it he’ll lose his bus licence and job for that

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

People depend on buses to get to work.  A 3 to 6hour round trip walking isn't good for elderly and others.

No sympathy - they are ****ing over Edinburgh's workers.  It isn't like they have even made specific examples of complaints against specific people for bullying and harassment.

Sometimes you just have to keep your head down and get on with the job.  Either that or find somewhere better to work.

Thats been my situation throughout my career.  Work isn't there for your social life - its to earn a living.

I will have to get a taxi to the Airport instead of the Airlink bus.

Absolutely gutted.

3fingersreid
37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

And my sympathy goes to the people affected , however no one goes on industrial action lightly but sometimes it’s all they have left . I fully agree it’s not an ideal situation but they feel like “ they’re being ****ed over “ by their employers . 

51 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Aii and if people keep bending over and taking it rough shot up the jeer then there would be to many prolapsed arseholes than the NHS could cope with. 

Nobody wants that

Edited by AlimOzturk

29 minutes ago, mutley said:

I take it he’ll lose his bus licence and job for that

He will definitely lose his job. I've scraped a bus before and was delt with pretty firmly and that was very minor damage, You would think after causing that much damage you wouldn't be allowed near a car or bus for quite a while. 

16 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

And my sympathy goes to the people affected , however no one goes on industrial action lightly but sometimes it’s all they have left . I fully agree it’s not an ideal situation but they feel like “ they’re being ****ed over “ by their employers . 

The industrial action isn't even backed by the union.

Can no one explain what specific incidents are the reason for this action?  The whole point of industrial action is to negotiate something yet they won't say what their specific grievances are.

Meanwhile a far greater number of workers are ****ed over because of their childish tantrums.

Hopefully the temp staff hired to cover are sufficient while these clowns lose a day's pay.

25 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I support the workers here. 

But it is as much a failure of the workers to resolve matters before it reaches this point, albeit power and authority of management. 

Still might be what I need to ditch the £50 a month and walk more. 

3fingersreid
29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The industrial action isn't even backed by the union.

Can no one explain what specific incidents are the reason for this action?  The whole point of industrial action is to negotiate something yet they won't say what their specific grievances are.

Meanwhile a far greater number of workers are ****ed over because of their childish tantrums.

Hopefully the temp staff hired to cover are sufficient while these clowns lose a day's pay.

Industrial action is backed by the union 

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Industrial action is backed by the union 

Did they not recommend acceptance of the pay offer?

Hopefully the refunds LRT will have to issue to ridacard holders get docked from any staff bonuses.

3fingersreid
45 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I support the workers here. 

But it is as much a failure of the workers to resolve matters before it reaches this point, albeit power and authority of management. 

Still might be what I need to ditch the £50 a month and walk more. 

I fully agree , always the very very last resort 

3fingersreid
19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Did they not recommend acceptance of the pay offer?

Hopefully the refunds LRT will have to issue to ridacard holders get docked from any staff bonuses.

They did , however the management didn’t listen to other drivers requests . 

One of which was the threat of a final written warning for breaking a wing mirror being removed  . You’ve seen how tight the streets are , bit unjust isn’t it ? 

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

They did , however the management didn’t listen to other drivers requests . 

One of which was the threat of a final written warning for breaking a wing mirror being removed  . You’ve seen how tight the streets are , bit unjust isn’t it ? 

Last year I had to get off a bus at wester coates area before Riseburn because the driver knocked his wing mirror off by clipping a pole on the pavement.  That was nothing but shit driving. 

A couple of weeks ago I was on a night bus home and the driver got a call over the intercom telling hin he had hit a presumably parked car.

portobellojambo1

Sorry for asking but does anyone know if the trams will be running on Friday or are their drivers involved in the strike action.

Edited by portobellojambo1

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Sorry for asking but does anyone know if the trams will be running on Friday or are their drivers involved in the strike action.

The bus strike should not affect the trams.

3fingersreid
20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Last year I had to get off a bus at wester coates area before Riseburn because the driver knocked his wing mirror off by clipping a pole on the pavement.  That was nothing but shit driving. 

A couple of weeks ago I was on a night bus home and the driver got a call over the intercom telling hin he had hit a presumably parked car.

Shit driving fair enough but it’s a blanket blame , seems unfair for that tho 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

This.

100% behind the bus drivers.

Thanks TRM, this has been building up to this for a long time. I've been driving for  Lothian over 20 years and it's always been strict but in the last couple of years it's ridiculous the way the drivers are treated by the management, very heavy handed  for minor issues and always moving the goalposts to suit their agenda. I'm just cruising along for the next 2 years till retirement. And I will be on strike on Friday.

Edited by Geeky Boy

portobellojambo1

The bus strike should not affect the trams.

Thanks for your reply.

5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Could you not refuse to drive certain streets that are too narrow to pass safely unless the stop parking?

Some routes - examples being Groathill by the Doocot pub to Telford Road isn't fit for buses with cars parked both sides.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Geeky Boy said:

Thanks MB, this has been building up to this for a long time. I've been driving for  Lothian over 20 years and it's always been strict but in the last couple of years it's ridiculous the way the drivers are treated by the management, very heavy handed  for minor issues and always moving the goalposts to suit their agenda. I'm just cruising along for the next 2 years till retirement. And I will be on strike on Friday.

I’ve a relative who is a bus driver and I can endorse what you have posted.

3fingersreid
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Could you not refuse to drive certain streets that are too narrow to pass safely unless the stop parking?

Some routes - examples being Groathill by the Doocot pub to Telford Road isn't fit for buses with cars parked both sides.

I’m not sure , I can only pass on ( certain) bits of info that I get . 

Its just not a happy workplace from what I gather .

57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This might be one of the reasons they are on strike 

If they refuse to drive up certain streets then they get sacked or drive up a narrow street and risk an accident resulting in the sack anyway