Thanks Lothian Buses

Crete

Bridge of Djoum
11 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

And your oppo’s gone ashore 

And the Jimmy and the Joss don’t give a toss... 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Maroon Sailor

• frankblack

• AlimOzturk

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Morph said:

What is it they are holding out for?

Probably for Richard Hall to resign 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He related to Albert?

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

He related to Albert?

More chance of being related to Nobby

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Think the divers want to prove a point through strike action. Without them the company cant function simple as that. Bully them and treat them like and this is the consequence. 

Think all trust is gone in terms of real change and it is just words from the management  

This.

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think your right. 

Adam Murray

When the time came for discussions over pay (April), the management said there was no money for a pay increase, and that the union had to find a way of 'self-funding' any pay increase, by perhaps giving up paid meal breaks, and they didn't want to discuss it until the union came up with a way to self fund it.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So nae buses unless a guy who will be raking it in as managing director decides to give it up?

Great :laugh:

I support the right to strike and all that but it isn’t half going to be a huge disruption to the city.  Oh well, hopefully they can reach some sort of compromise soon. 

Maroon Sailor
24 minutes ago, Morph said:

So nae buses unless a guy who will be raking it in as managing director decides to give it up?

Great :laugh:

I support the right to strike and all that but it isn’t half going to be a huge disruption to the city.  Oh well, hopefully they can reach some sort of compromise soon. 

His position will become untenable. Easier to get rid of one bad apple than having no buses and major disruption

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Seymour M Hersh

Why was it not compulsory for all union members to vote? It looks like only a third have voted for industrial action with the rest against it or not bothering to vote. Now they didn't break those figures down so I assume the voting against was relatively low so why ddi so many not bother to vote?

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Why was it not compulsory for all union members to vote? It looks like only a third have voted for industrial action with the rest against it or not bothering to vote. Now they didn't break those figures down so I assume the voting against was relatively low so why ddi so many not bother to vote?

Maybe they were bullied.:P

3fingersreid

Strike won’t happen , union got what they wanted , the Lothian buses boss has been asked to attend the council offices on Monday to explain what’s going on I’m told . 

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Strike won’t happen , union got what they wanted , the Lothian buses boss has been asked to attend the council offices on Monday to explain what’s going on I’m told . 

That’ll be interesting.

3fingersreid
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’ll be interesting.

Going on what my mate who’s a bus driver told me this morning . It certainly doesn’t appear to be a happy workplace  at the minute . 

Maroon Sailor
37 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Hope he's better dressed

IMG_4220.JPG

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Going on what my mate who’s a bus driver told me this morning . It certainly doesn’t appear to be a happy workplace  at the minute . 

My son in law can confirm this.

2 hours ago, Adam Murray said:

When the time came for discussions over pay (April), the management said there was no money for a pay increase, and that the union had to find a way of 'self-funding' any pay increase, by perhaps giving up paid meal breaks, and they didn't want to discuss it until the union came up with a way to self fund it.

Was enough in the pot for someone to get a 20% pay rise...

Adam Murray
12 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Was enough in the pot for someone to get a 20% pay rise...

Indeed, and then when the threat of industrial action loomed, all of a sudden they found they could afford a 2.7% rise for their workforce.

That cash must have been earmarked for more private number plates.

5 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Your Sunday was to be spent looking at antique buses? I think the postponement did you a turn there. Get yourself down the pub and enjoy your day. 

🍺🍻😄

3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

So who pays for his redundancy? He won't go cheaply.

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, Dunks said:

So who pays for his redundancy? He won't go cheaply.

I believe their finances are pretty good.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I believe their finances are pretty good.

7 or 8 million profit last year was it not? Even after giving the council millions for the trams.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

7 or 8 million profit last year was it not? Even after giving the council millions for the trams.

I’m sure that’s about right.

KevinKyle10

And some empty coaches, and some green busses for areas that didn’t need a second bus service... whilst areas of Edinburgh could do with a better service.

3 minutes ago, KevinKyle10 said:

And some empty coaches, and some green busses for areas that didn’t need a second bus service... whilst areas of Edinburgh could do with a better service.

Buses.

KevinKyle10

51 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Buses.

Busses is perfectly acceptable in the English language also. It’s just rare.

9 hours ago, KevinKyle10 said:

Eastcoast are getting really busy by the looks of them. I think country could go the same way when people realise that they are exact same as the maroon buses ie prices and you can use your ridacard and they are quicker than the city buses getting into the town centre.

Shanks said no
6 hours ago, Herbert said:

Eastcoast are getting really busy by the looks of them. I think country could go the same way when people realise that they are exact same as the maroon buses ie prices and you can use your ridacard and they are quicker than the city buses getting into the town centre.

I will need to be pretty desperate to get on a green bus. It will be a test on Friday, green bus or 3 mile walk....

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

If they do strike on Friday is it just a 1 day thing or is TBC?

It’s an indefinite strike.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Ooft. Will be getting the bike out then!

I don’t know if there are anything thing in place to reverse the decision at short notice.

Lothian desperately offering ex staff £30 per hour to cover air link duties from Friday...

...so I'm lead to believe. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Lothian desperately offering ex staff £30 per hour to cover air link duties from Friday...

Good, it’ll save me getting a taxi.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Ironic if that guy that got sacked over Jestergate takes them up on that offer

Sawdust Caesar

Bus drivers in a city in Japan had industrial action, but instead of going on strike they worked as normal but let everybody on the bus for free so the public didn't suffer. I believe it worked a treat as the company resolved the dispute very quickly.

6 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Bus drivers in a city in Japan had industrial action, but instead of going on strike they worked as normal but let everybody on the bus for free so the public didn't suffer. I believe it worked a treat as the company resolved the dispute very quickly.

That would unfortunately lead to criminal prosecution for the drivers here--essentially for "stealing" bus fares. In Japan, a quirk in the law allowed them to do that without legal liability. Shame it's not an option here.

KevinKyle10
43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I wonder if Richard Hall uses Lothian Buses to go to work

He does sometimes. Depends where he’s staying/working that day I suppose.

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

If they do strike on Friday is it just a 1 day thing or is TBC?

We got an email sent round the bank saying it would last 7 days. Not sure how accurate or where their info came from 

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, KevinKyle10 said:

He does sometimes. Depends where he’s staying/working that day I suppose.

Is he based at Central ?

Sawdust Caesar
26 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

That would unfortunately lead to criminal prosecution for the drivers here--essentially for "stealing" bus fares. In Japan, a quirk in the law allowed them to do that without legal liability. Shame it's not an option here.

Ah I didn't know that, cheers.

From a legal point though, how would the drivers be prosecuted if they didn't actually take the money? Surely you can't get charged for stealing something you didn't steal. I could see them being sacked for gross misconduct for not charging their customers but could they get charged with committing a crime and, if so,  what crime would it be? Genuine question.

8 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Ah I didn't know that, cheers.

From a legal point though, how would the drivers be prosecuted if they didn't actually take the money? Surely you can't get charged for stealing something you didn't steal. I could see them being sacked for gross misconduct for not charging their customers but could they get charged with committing a crime and, if so,  what crime would it be? Genuine question.

My understanding--which is admittedly limited--is they would be guilty of Scots common law theft. The reason being, common law theft is simply "the wrongful appropriation of the property of another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other person of his or her possession". The key is that possessing what's been "stolen" is not a required element under Scots law--just that you've acted in a way that led to the property belonging to someone else ending up out of their hands. And that's exactly what the drivers would be doing if they intentionally let people on the bus for free.

Also I have no idea how Japanese criminal law works but I imagine there is some sort of waiver for fare collectors on public transport as long as they are not personally enriching themselves, and that's why they were able to get away with it.

The vast majority of people use rida cards which are already paid for. So letting people on for free wouldn't actually be fair on those who have already paid. Anyway thats not going to happen, still think it will be sorted before Friday.