Thanks Lothian Buses

Crete

I was going with my family to the Lothian buses centenary bus show tomorrow I have now heard that it is postponed I’m absolutely gutted about that, they have now spoiled my Sunday .I think the bosses have taken the huff about the strike next week and cancelled it .☹️

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Maroon Sailor

• frankblack

• AlimOzturk

Stuart Lyon

They tweeted an hour after the postponement tweet and asked how many were going tomorrow! Left hand doesn't know what the right hand'd doing!

Lothian Buses boardroom has had a toxic culture reaching back quite a few years.

They prefer to fire whistleblowers and suspend anybody who speaks up.

Something has to change at some point.

So, let me get this straight

A driver was disciplined and subsequently sacked while a number of other were disciplined for sending derogatory memes about one of the senior officials within LRT but the drivers are the ones being bullied?

maroonlegions
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Probably taking time out before they do extra shifts to break the strike from Friday. 

Irony eh.

People strike for a reason and usually it's the   last resort when mediation breaks down or ignored. Who started the dispute, the greedy workers, the loony lefty union or the bosses trying to take the piss out of the workers. 

:sneaky: 

Edited by maroonlegions

Probably all the drivers over 40 being pissed off at being encouraged to be pleasant to their passengers...

But in all seriousness, it does appear that the union and the drivers are only asking for the management to be under the same levels of scrutiny as they are with their practices.

Ricardo Shillyshally

If they are on strike, can anyone recommend a place to go and be insulted by a grumpy fatso instead?

One of the hardest jobs going. They are well paid but treated like utter shit from stuck up arsehole bosses. Instead of addressing the issue of the bad management culture they instead tried to fob drivers off with a 2 percent wage rise. 

They sacked a driver for posting a picture of the boss on a private messenger app. The driver immediately apologised when he was grassed  but still sacked. They look for any reason to sack when you get in the door. 

Cant blame drivers being grumpy as

Sexton Hardcastle

Always found it very strange the Lothian bus twitter page rt guys who literally bus spot about town. Like those Eddie Stobart freaks.

Current obsession with the gay pride one as if people have seen the Queen driving about The west end.

been here before
32 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

If they are on strike, can anyone recommend a place to go and be insulted by a grumpy fatso instead?

Taxi rank?

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

They sacked a driver for posting a picture of the boss on a private messenger app. The driver immediately apologised when he was grassed  but still sacked. They look for any reason to sack when you get in the door. 

If you’re going to resort to that sort of childish behaviour by posting derogatory pics of someone, privately or not, then the person who is the butt of the joke takes action then you only have yourself to blame.

From what has been said so far by both parties as far as I’m aware off the only bullying being mentioned is the driver sending insulting pics about his senior. There’s been lots of I know a driver and he says this and she says that doesn’t really hold much water with me so Im only going on what’s been said from LRT and Unite.

Once you post something whether it be online, privately or anywhere else then you leave yourself open to repercussion.

Itll be interesting to see how this plays out. I reckon the council will step in at the eleventh hour for the benefit of the tourists, which is a completely different argument altogether as they’d do next to **** all if it was any other time of the year and to **** with the locals 

Stephen Muddie
Just now, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Tynecastle is usually good.

15 minutes ago, TheStig said:

It runs a lot deeper than one driver being sacked for posting a stupid picture. 

Are there any specific instances of bullying? apart from a group of drivers sending derogatory pics of senior management that is

7 minutes ago, KingRib said:

Are there any specific instances of bullying? apart from a group of drivers sending derogatory pics of senior management that is

From my personal experience, extremely harsh disciplinary actions. Clean record, had one minor incident and was put on a severe warning for 12 months. One slight mistake away from losing my job hanging over me for a year. 

Toxteth O'Grady
14 hours ago, Crete said:

I was going with my family to the Lothian buses centenary bus show tomorrow I have now heard that it is postponed I’m absolutely gutted about that, they have now spoiled my Sunday .I think the bosses have taken the huff about the strike next week and cancelled it .☹️

If you enjoy watching a continuous line of buses nose to tail just stand between the Scotts Monument and the Art Gallery any day of the week 

10 hours ago, KingRib said:

If you’re going to resort to that sort of childish behaviour by posting derogatory pics of someone, privately or not, then the person who is the butt of the joke takes action then you only have yourself to blame.

From what has been said so far by both parties as far as I’m aware off the only bullying being mentioned is the driver sending insulting pics about his senior. There’s been lots of I know a driver and he says this and she says that doesn’t really hold much water with me so Im only going on what’s been said from LRT and Unite.

Once you post something whether it be online, privately or anywhere else then you leave yourself open to repercussion.

Itll be interesting to see how this plays out. I reckon the council will step in at the eleventh hour for the benefit of the tourists, which is a completely different argument altogether as they’d do next to **** all if it was any other time of the year and to **** with the locals 

He might of deserved to be disciplined but he didn't deserve the sack. He held hands up, apologised and basically begged to keep his job. the big wigs decided to screw him and just sack him. The run a fear show ovet there...drivers walk on broken glass. 

Having worked In the industry I know what it can he like for a driver (not for lothian). The unsociable hours, pressure to be on time and all the while being in charge of a massive vehicle in streets not designed for it. All the while dealing with passengers who have their own problems and can often take it out you and likewise. 

I wouldn't go back to it unless I was desperate for a job.

Adam Murray

It seems they have removed their past few facebook posts, regarding the possible strike action and the centenary cancellation, don't think they were getting the response they were looking for from the public, with the comments full of messages supporting the drivers, and of the small mindedness of the centenary cancellation.

Reshuffle in the PR department perhaps.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

He might of deserved to be disciplined but he didn't deserve the sack. He held hands up, apologised and basically begged to keep his job. the big wigs decided to screw him and just sack him. The run a fear show ovet there...drivers walk on broken glass. 

Having worked In the industry I know what it can he like for a driver (not for lothian). The unsociable hours, pressure to be on time and all the while being in charge of a massive vehicle in streets not designed for it. All the while dealing with passengers who have their own problems and can often take it out you and likewise. 

I wouldn't go back to it unless I was desperate for a job.

I agree - the guy had no previous by all accounts. Read him the riot act, remind him of the strict guidelines with the use of Social Media and give him a warning.

Seems pretty cut-throat at Lothian buses.

Even the military give you a second chance when it comes to disciplinary matters. 

It's not much fun when you're under pun but you've still got your job

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I agree - the guy had no previous by all accounts. Read him the riot act, remind him of the strict guidelines with the use of Social Media and give him a warning.

Even the military give you a second chance when it comes to disciplinary matters. 

the only way it would not have been harsh sacking him would have been if it was explicitly stated as gross misconduct in their t&cs

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the only way it would not have been harsh sacking him would have been if it was explicitly stated as gross misconduct in their t&cs

That's open to interpretation though as to what he did being considered as gross misconduct.

Social media is a very difficult thing to police

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

That's open to interpretation though as to what he did being considered as gross misconduct.

Social media is a very difficult thing to police

my point was it would have to have been explicitly stated and he would have signed to say that he had read and understood them. 

i agree social media is a bit of a minefield for thing like this

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

my point was it would have to have been explicitly stated and he would have signed to say that he had read and understood them. 

i agree social media is a bit of a minefield for thing like this

To be honest a lot is being made of this incident in isolation regards to the potential strike action but it looks very much like it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Tynecastle is usually good.

:jjyay:

He said insulted not threatened with violence. 

The Union has apparently recommended acceptance of the last two deals, but members have rejected both. Sounds like the Union is out of touch with it's members.

10 minutes ago, Dunks said:

The Union has apparently recommended acceptance of the last two deals, but members have rejected both. Sounds like the Union is out of touch with it's members.

Many of the members ( mates of mine) are fuming with the Union. They feel they have caved into Lothian buses and simply thought more money would put a stop to it.

Respect to the drivers for not accepting a bribe. 

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Horrific statement basically blaming staff. Shows when the majority of social media comes together in suppor t of drivers despite the inconvenience they will suffer  

Management must be shitting itself as the potential multi millions of pounds revenue loss is weighing on them. 

22 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Many of the members ( mates of mine) are fuming with the Union. They feel they have caved into Lothian buses and simply thought more money would put a stop to it.

What is it the drivers want, if not better remuneration package?

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

I'm here all week, baldy/specky/bawsack (you'd need to give me something to work with, ya bellend).

14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Could have run it past a proofreader before publishing.

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Horrific statement basically blaming staff. Shows when the majority of social media comes together in suppor t of drivers despite the inconvenience they will suffer  

Management must be shitting itself as the potential multi millions of pounds revenue loss is weighing on them. 

The use of the word only in front of 693 is pathetic and probably sums up LB management in a nutshell

18 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

What is it the drivers want, if not better remuneration package?

The strike has nothing to do with money but the bullying and harassment from management that has been ongoing for years. Rife throughout the service bus industry tbh however from what I hear is utterly horrific at Lothian.

40 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

What is it that they expect to be the outcome here?  Unless I've missed something their complaint seems non specific relating to bullying and that isn't giving any point for negotiation.

I now rely on a bus to work as parking is non existent at the office, and its around 2.5 hours each way walking.  I could see about working from home but its far from ideal.

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

The strike has nothing to do with money but the bullying and harassment from management that has been ongoing for years. Rife throughout the service bus industry tbh however from what I hear is utterly horrific at Lothian.

Again as I've just posted, are there specific individuals to raise a grievance against as "bullying and harrassment from management" is non specific and doesn't give a target to negotiate against?

Edited by frankblack

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

So, in that respect what is it they want to happen/achieve/negotiate from this deal?

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Again as I've just posted, are there specific individuals to raise a grievance against as "bullying and harrassment from management" is non specific and doesn't give a target to negotiate against?

I think the media have been very vague in their reporting of the whole thing. However, from what I gather the memebers want a management change and assurances that the bullying culture will change. Dont think they were satisfied that this was going to happen....I think all trust Is broken beyond repair and any sort of of negotiations a pointless excercise from the outset. Think drivers want to prove a point here 

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

So, in that respect what is it they want to happen/achieve/negotiate from this deal?

Think the divers want to prove a point through strike action. Without them the company cant function simple as that. Bully them and treat them like and this is the consequence. 

Think all trust is gone in terms of real change and it is just words from the management  

Sexton Hardcastle

How amongst all of this did the top boy keep his job for going out and splashing loads of cash on personal number plates for their new buses so they could stick two fingers up at the other private firms?

Mind reading about a few weeks back and all the council did was told him to behave. Sure that counts as bullying/intimidation.

Madness.

Edited by Sexton Hardcastle

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think the media have been very vague in their reporting of the whole thing. However, from what I gather the memebers want a management change and assurances that the bullying culture will change. Dont think they were satisfied that this was going to happen....I think all trust Is broken beyond repair and any sort of of negotiations a pointless excercise from the outset. Think drivers want to prove a point here 

I still think they need to have a specific objective and target individuals rather than the generic terms being talked about here.

There is currently no basis for negotiation, and in general you need specific cases of bullying and harassment to attribute to specific people to get them removed.

3 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

How amongst all of this did the top boy keep his job for going out and splashing loads of cash on personal number plates for their new buses so they could stick two fingers up at the other private firms?

Mind reading about a few weeks back and all the council did was told him to behave. Sure that counts as bullying/intimidation.

Madness.

It counts as ridiculous but not bullying or harassment of LRT staff.  Management can account for the spend on a marketing budget I guess.

Edited by frankblack

46 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I still think they need to have a specific objective and target individuals rather than the generic terms being talked about here.

There is currently no basis for negotiation, and in general you need specific cases of bullying and harassment to attribute to specific people to get them removed.

I get what your saying however I dont know all the details. I am only going on what I have personally heard from drivers and personal experience working in the Industry. There will have to many specific examples floating around to justify a strike action of this magnitude. And if it was about money it would have resolved by now IMO

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

I get what your saying however I dont know all the details. I am only going on what I have personally heard from drivers and personal experience working in the Industry. There will have to many specific examples floating around to justify a strike action of this magnitude. And if it was about money it would have resolved by now IMO

Don't think it's ever been about money but typical management, who only seem to think about money, try to wipe up their mess with some bank notes.

Stewie Griffin
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

And your oppo’s gone ashore 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

And your oppo’s gone ashore 

Aye - but you can't crack me cos I'm RDP and I don't give a feck anymore !

Bridge of Djoum
19 hours ago, Crete said:

Your Sunday was to be spent looking at antique buses? I think the postponement did you a turn there. Get yourself down the pub and enjoy your day.