Thanks Lothian Buses

Crete

Lothian like to throw the words "professional driver" at you when you make a mistake. It covers them and you get your pants pulled down. We shouldn't be making mistakes, we are after all just robots to them.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Maroon Sailor

• frankblack

• AlimOzturk

Shanks said no

I was offered ticket to this, wish I had taken them as it may be rather topical

Gilded Balloon at the Museum
Award-winning LBC radio presenter, CNN political commentator and For the Many podcast host brings his acclaimed, incisive insight on current affairs to the Fringe for the first time. Iain interviews a different high-profile guest each day and audience members are invited to put questions to them.

Thursday 01 August 6pm - Guest Len McCluskey (General Secretary of UNITE the union)

Edit - guest may have changed since I was offered them on Saturday as Iain Dale's website now says its Thursday 1 August - Johnny Mercer MP

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Shanks said no
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Must be a LothianCountry thing

This guy sliced the roof off at the Western General by taking the wrong road 

IMG_4224.JPG

Green buses are unlucky

24 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Lothian like to throw the words "professional driver" at you when you make a mistake. It covers them and you get your pants pulled down. We shouldn't be making mistakes, we are after all just robots to them.

Surely if driving is your profession which you are paid for then you are by definition a "professional driver"?

Shanks said no

So no one is caught short, LRT have upped the Airlink fares from the Maybury into town

Single fares between Maybury and the City Centre will also be revised to;

Adult £2.50, Child £1.50 & Young Person Concession £1.65.

A grace period for £1.70 Adult Single m-tickets will apply on this service until 31 August 2019. There are no changes to the validity of any other fares or tickets.

Regular city customers who travel on this corridor are encouraged to used Lothian services 12, 26, 31 or Lothian Country services X17 or X18, all of which accept regular Lothian Buses fares & tickets from Maybury.

Now cheaper to get a tram from the Gyle/Gateway than the 100.

Striking and impacting the normal man getting into work is not the answer. Sack anyone who strikes, they are putting lots of people at risk and thinking of no one but themselves.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Nixie said:

Striking and impacting the normal man getting into work is not the answer. Sack anyone who strikes, they are putting lots of people at risk and thinking of no one but themselves.

Dry your eyes.

Les Izemore
28 minutes ago, Nixie said:

Thankfully, workers have the right to withdraw their labour as a last resort if they feel it’s the only way to bring management to the table. It’s not done lightly and will likely cause hardship to those taking action. 

I’d suggest that the drivers are at ‘risk’ as much as passengers who may have to make alternative arrangements. 

13 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

Thankfully, workers have the right to withdraw their labour as a last resort if they feel it’s the only way to bring management to the table. It’s not done lightly and will likely cause hardship to those taking action. 

I’d suggest that the drivers are at ‘risk’ as much as passengers who may have to make alternative arrangements. 

This isn't really a last resort though is it?

There are so many mixed messages  from the workers and a lack of specific grievance examples its hard to have any sympathy with them while they **** over the working public.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

Surely if driving is your profession which you are paid for then you are by definition a "professional driver"?

Yes obviously but they use it in a way as if that means you should never make a mistake. I mean you must be gods gift if you never make a mistake at your work.

Edited by TheStig

Les Izemore
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There are so many mixed messages  from the workers and a lack of specific grievance examples its hard to have any sympathy with them while they **** over the working public.

I agree that their grievances lack a focus but surely you’d agree that there must be a huge level of frustration and anger to take such action. They’re not losing wages for a few days off and to get their jollies. 

I’d also point out that they’re part of the ‘working public’ you mentioned. 

I’m guessing you’ve never been on strike?  I have and it’s certainly no holiday. I struggled to pay my bills but stuck it out as I believed in what we were arguing for. Sometimes you need to stand up for yourself. 

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The walk to work will do you good.

Maroon Sailor
37 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I thought he used his bike anyway

41 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

I agree that their grievances lack a focus but surely you’d agree that there must be a huge level of frustration and anger to take such action. They’re not losing wages for a few days off and to get their jollies. 

I have been in shitty situations where redundancy was hanging over you almost constantly and your office is a satellite to the bigger ones down south so you were powerless to change anything.

I’d also point out that they’re part of the ‘working public’ you mentioned. 

They are forcing others to suffer penalties at work for lateness or non attendance.

I’m guessing you’ve never been on strike?  I have and it’s certainly no holiday. I struggled to pay my bills but stuck it out as I believed in what we were arguing for. Sometimes you need to stand up for yourself. 

Nope.  Have always worked in IT and few employers - particularly small companies will touch you if you are in a union.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Nixie said:

Sack anyone who strikes ?

Are you Richard Hall in disguise ?

39 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That is a selfish attitude and doesn't comfort those that have disabilities or depend on carers for home help.  How do carers make visits where cars aren't provided?

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I thought he used his bike anyway

Thats a bit random.  I do drive but can't park in the city centre as no parking is available for us.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, frankblack said:

That is a selfish attitude and doesn't comfort those that have disabilities or depend on carers for home help.  How do carers make visits where cars aren't provided?

Thats a bit random.  I do drive but can't park in the city centre as no parking is available for us.

Always thought you were in the cyclists camp

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They are forcing others to suffer penalties at work for lateness or non attendance.

So your work haven't made any contingencies for the workforce in light of the proposed strike action?

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nope.  Have always worked in IT and few employers - particularly small companies will touch you if you are in a union.

Maybe shows why unions are a good thing?  But, if you want to "trade in your hours for a handful of dimes", then you knew the risks when you took their silver.

Also remember that a lot of what is taken for granted now is down to Trade Unions and the collective action taken by workers to protect their livelihoods.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/15/trade-union-bill-9-things-theyve-done-that-have-change-work-for-us-all_n_8141778.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABoKCs2K-VOOC_kFaq0TvvGrtcDUvpmt9pH3EOfahItx5h06PYr2MdYK1GoIMDe1NIHwbfHt1k_xi-tMHdVnAkThaZJphvdtJzTFCIO1XoE8-qb9wJ-v8qLUvv2TrLzf_IzO2BLtKfynkuAPUXrGkycBH9LhevB1UTjG4CYyLUZ9#gallery/5d014131e4b058ab9a31380a/1

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It’s surprising how resolute people are when these situations arise.

They deal with it accordingly.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s surprising how resolute people are when these situations arise.

They deal with it accordingly.

Exactly.

Walk, cycle, pay for on street parking, take a taxi, get the wife to drive you in....

The strike wont last long hopefullu and every working class person should get behind these drivers as they are setting an example to all employers that you shouldn't screw the work force that keeps THEM in a job. 

Frank seems like he'd walk right past the picket line and scab his nose right up his bosses arse. 

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Exactly.

Walk, cycle, pay for on street parking, take a taxi, get the wife to drive you in....

So, a 6 hour round trip walking, £30 taxi, god knows how much to park in town in addition to petrol.  You don't have a clue and sound like a relic from the 1980s.

What happens to the disabled and those needing carers to get to them?

The strike wont last long hopefullu and every working class person should get behind these drivers as they are setting an example to all employers that you shouldn't screw the work force that keeps THEM in a job. 

Not one working person I know affected supports the drivers.  They are selfish and have a deeply unfocused campaign.

Frank seems like he'd walk right past the picket line and scab his nose right up his bosses arse. 

I have never been in a union and joining one would make me unemployable or have to join a unionised organisation that pays less than half my salary.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So, a 6 hour round trip walking, £30 taxi, god knows how much to park in town in addition to petrol.  You don't have a clue and sound like a relic from the 1980s.

Not one working person I know affected supports the drivers.  They are selfish and have a deeply unfocused campaign.

I have never been in a union and joining one would make me unemployable or have to join a unionised organisation that pays less than half my salary.

On Friday morning can I bath in your tears?

25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Your work sounds really sensitive to the needs of its employees.  has the matter even bee raised?

I'm sure those that require carers will have alternatives in place?

Loads that I know do.

So?  Your experience of shan employers doesn't mean unions are bad.  You called a previous poster a "relic from the 80's".  Ironically, you sound like one yourself!

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You sound like my late mother in law.

We choose to sell our Labour and we can withdraw our Labour too. Totalitarian regimes and systems that use slavery deny this basic right. It would appear that some tossers on JKB would like this type of scenario. 

In addition, It is illegal to dismiss you or treat you unfavourably because you are a Trade Union member.

Anyway looks like the strike is off.

edit. Not sure now. Evening News saying its off but the Scotsman the opposite???/

Edited by Notts1874

Maroon Sailor

It's been postponed

Frank can start moaning about buses being late, overcrowded, boiling hot etc ....

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The twitter statement seems to suggest talks have been held and Unite will be going back to members to recommend acceptance again. So Friday has been suspended but they may still strike at a later date if the deal isn't agreed?

Is that about the gist of it? 

Edited by Poseidon

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

The twitter statement seems to suggest talks have been held and Unite will be going back to members to recommend acceptance again. So Friday has been suspended but they may still strike at a later date if the deal isn't agreed?

Is that about the gist of it? 

That's how I read the statement.

No pay rise in this offer. That should put it to bed about it being about money. Having seen whats proposed i think it will be accepted.

The bosses will wait till after the festival, then carry on their bullying tactics. I worked 7 seasons as a tour guide on their buses and saw first hand their practices. I'd hate to have been in the position I needed the job, it starts at the top and filters all the way down.

One of the ticket sellers , was spat in the face by a tourist, in full view of the bridge manager who did nothing, well, she was expendable ?

The so called managers in the main hated the guides, realising the majority of the guides were educated people. Their idea of management was to run to a senior manager reporting any indiscretion, rather than managing in a non-confrontational way.

Good service, crap company to work for.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's been postponed

Frank can start moaning about buses being late, overcrowded, boiling hot etc ....

:greatpost:

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, TheStig said:

No pay rise in this offer. That should put it to bed about it being about money. Having seen whats proposed i think it will be accepted.

👍

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20190731_143130.jpg

The union wanted the last deal to be accepted and without knowing what is in this offer it sounds like the union has backed down.

"Concessions" All sounds a bit Theresa May and the "concessions" she got regarding the back stop. 

Did unite consult its members before cancelling the strikes or did they just assume that its members would accept this deal?

17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

"Concessions" All sounds a bit Theresa May and the "concessions" she got regarding the back stop. 

Did unite consult its members before cancelling the strikes or did they just assume that its members would accept this deal?

I found out through Facebook and the EEN 🤷

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

:rofl:

It just fits with the complete shambles this strike was from start to finish.

I have never ever heard of a more disorganised strike completely lacking in focus.

Glad to see some of the commies on here showing their colours.

I look forward to a normal Friday.  👍

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I have never ever heard of a more disorganised strike completely lacking in focus.

Commies:phface:

From someone who would take it dry.:laugh:

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Commies:phface:

From someone who would take it dry.:laugh:

More personal abuse from you, but not really surprised as you don't take losing well, and lose frequently. 👍

:verysmug:

21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Commies :rofl:

You are clearly an extremely obsequious person. I hope you never have to suffer any sort of bullying or harassment at work. Then again, a subservient person like you might actually enjoy it. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More personal abuse from you, but not really surprised as you don't take losing well, and lose frequently. 👍

:verysmug:

You sound bitter that the strike has been postponed.:P

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

The union wanted the last deal to be accepted and without knowing what is in this offer it sounds like the union has backed down.

that is strange as it is unite who IMO are one of the most militant unions and seem to want to strike for everything. The fact that they advised their members to accept the first deal makes me feel like whoever is in charge does not have their members best interests at heart

20 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I was offered ticket to this, wish I had taken them as it may be rather topical

Gilded Balloon at the Museum
Award-winning LBC radio presenter, CNN political commentator and For the Many podcast host brings his acclaimed, incisive insight on current affairs to the Fringe for the first time. Iain interviews a different high-profile guest each day and audience members are invited to put questions to them.

Thursday 01 August 6pm - Guest Len McCluskey (General Secretary of UNITE the union)

Edit - guest may have changed since I was offered them on Saturday as Iain Dale's website now says its Thursday 1 August - Johnny Mercer MP

Both

Ian Dale is doing extra shows 

So tomorrow Johnny Mercer is 4pm and Len McCluskey is 6pm.