Ann Budge?

Beast Boy

Ann Budge - overwhelmingly good for Hearts?  

1,111 members have voted

1. 1. Has Ann Budge been overwhelmingly good for our football club?

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We are a football club first and foremost. And we are bottom of the league and on the worst run in the club's history. Try and grasp that. 

Stop talking sense.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• sadj

• Forever Hearts

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

On balance, she has definitely been good for us. I don’t believe she has been overwhelmingly good, though. Heading for a fourth season on the trot of first team mediocrity. That partially offsets the key role she played in saving the club etc. to an increasingly significant degree.

Is it 4 seasons though? Until Neilson left we were doing great. Since then it's been 2.5 seasons of very disappointing results and performances. This season is far too early to judge. I've seen us turn seemingly hopeless form around before, often with the same manager, although I do now agree Levein's not up to the HC job and the next two games are crucial.

In terms of on filed stuff, the time to judge her is from now on IMO. Her priorities - whether some fans agree with them or not - were initially to stabalise the club off the park, including the stadium. The infrastructure etc is now secure and she has definitely stabilised the clubbed made us sustainable. So now we can really focus on the playing side.

I'm sure like everyone else she liked at our signings this summer and thought we'd be doing much better.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I foresee Ann Budge stepping down as CEO next year when the FoH takeover is completed.

As a result, she will always be 2nd to this guy.

:glorious:

9 minutes ago, Peebo said:

On balance, she has definitely been good for us. I don’t believe she has been overwhelmingly good, though. Heading for a fourth season on the trot of first team mediocrity. That partially offsets the key role she played in saving the club etc. to an increasingly significant degree.

Depends what you see her role as, she's given Levein the best possible platform and he's not delivered. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I foresee Ann Budge stepping down as CEO next year when the FoH takeover is completed.

:rudiyas:

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is it 4 seasons though? Until Neilson left we were doing great. Since then it's been 2.5 seasons of very disappointing results and performances. This season is far too early to judge. I've seen us turn seemingly hopeless form around before, often with the same manager, although I do now agree Levein's not up to the HC job and the next two games are crucial.

In terms of on filed stuff, the time to judge her is from now on IMO. Her priorities - whether some fans agree with them or not - were initially to stabalise the club off the park, including the stadium. The infrastructure etc is now secure and she has definitely stabilised the clubbed made us sustainable. So now we can really focus on the playing side.

I'm sure like everyone else she liked at our signings this summer and thought we'd be doing much better.

Is it 4 seasons? Yes. I’m counting Neilson’s last season, when we started excellently but then utterly ruined it with Cathro’s appointment. Overall mediocre, saved only from being utterly disastrous by the points Neilson got on the board. 

Time will tell on this season, but I see nothing at all to suggest it won’t be another shite season, for the fourth in a row (and 4th out of 6 under the Budge regime). 

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Depends what you see her role as, she's given Levein the best possible platform and he's not delivered. 

I see her role being one which (among many other things) gave, and continues to give, him that platform. 

Edited by Peebo

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We are a football club first and foremost. And we are bottom of the league and on the worst run in the club's history. Try and grasp that. 

Form changes. That's why some football fans are always optimistic, maybe including Ann Budge.

Whose stats are these and what two seasons do they span under which manager? And what happened next after that last draw?

LLWDLLLLLDLLWLWLLD

The games above, especially the earlier ones also all included some very serious humpings, not just form the OF.

Mind you, it's hard to compare (which makes this whole "worst run in history" thing meaningless). For example, we didn't have mass injuries to cope with in either of the two above seasons and we also didn't play our last few games against only the top clubs as there was no top 6 split.

12 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yeah, sorry but you couldn't be more wrong with that one kid.

I could write on the back of a stamp the good that Romanov done for our club.  Budge is on another planet in comparison.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Care to elaborate?

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

Yeah, sorry but you couldn't be more wrong with that one kid.

I could write on the back of a stamp the good that Romanov done for our club.  Budge is on another planet in comparison.

The bottom line is that Mr Romanov brought trophies. Mrs Budge won't.

Fire_At_The_Disco
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Correct nearly killed us but the highs were amazing👍

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Form changes. That's why some football fans are always optimistic, maybe including Ann Budge.

Whose stats are these and what two seasons do they span under which manager? And what happened next after that last draw?

LLWDLLLLLDLLWLWLLD

The games above, especially the earlier ones also all included some very serious humpings, not just form the OF.

Mind you, it's hard to compare (which makes this whole "worst run in history" thing meaningless). For example, we didn't have mass injuries to cope with in either of the two above seasons and we also didn't play our last few games against only the top clubs as there was no top 6 split.

We've had two 6th place finishes on the bounce and are currently bottom of the league and on the worst run in our history. When can we expect these changes in form?

Edited by Forever Hearts

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He brought a whole lot other things too and none of them good.

You can't compare him to Budge, she beats him hands down,  a better comparison for Romanov would be Chris Robinson.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And we wouldn't be at Tynceastle without him.  A real hero.

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

He brought a whole lot other things too and none of them good.

You can't compare him to Budge, she beats him hands down,  a better comparison for Romanov would be Chris Robinson.

Actually, you can. Where Ann Budge will win is leaving an infrastructure for the club and a solid platform. She won't be a winner though.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

All that can change very quickly and you don’t **** up the massive amounts good stuff, because you are dicked off about something. Try and grasp that.

It’s been heading towards this point for almost a year. We have been dreadful and yet still refuse to admit we need change. 

Budge is now as culpable as Levein for the predicament we are in!!! 

Guest ToqueJambo
30 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Actually, you can. Where Ann Budge will win is leaving an infrastructure for the club and a solid platform. She won't be a winner though.

I know you're trolling and shouldn't bite, but if we're comparing their first 5 years (which seems fair right?):

We overachieved in 05/06 and 14/15

We did about what is expected in 08/09 and 15/16

We underachieved the rest of the years, although Budge has yet to have a season as disastrous and embarrassing as our 8th in 2007 08 and she spent nowhere near the same on the team.

Both owners got to one cup final in their first 5 years. 

Both won one competition. A good pub argument is whether or not the Championship romp in 14/15 was a greater achievement in many ways than the 05/06 cup win.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I know you're trolling and shouldn't bite, but if we're comparing their first 5 years (which seems fair right?):

We overachieved in 05/06 and 14/15

We did about what is expected in 08/09 and 15/16

We underachieved the rest of the years, although Budge has yet to have a season as disastrous and embarrassing as our 8th in 2007 08 and she spent nowhere near the same on the team.

Both owners got to one cup final in their first 5 years. 

Both won one competition. A good pub argument is whether or not the Championship romp in 14/15 was a greater achievement in many ways than the 05/06 cup win.

That last sentence should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

That last sentence should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

You'd be fun in a pub argument. Let's play your game even longer seeing as you started it! Let's see you stand behind your trolling.

As for infrastructure, one saved the stadium temporarily by signing a paper that cancelled its sale.

One saved the stadium permanently by investing in it.

As for youth, one neglected the youth academy completely.

One invested in it.

In terms of financing, one used other people's money very likely gained through illegal means and ran the club at a loss.

One used her own money and contributions from fans and fan donors, and runs the club at a profit.

As for the club as a whole, one took it to relegation and death's door.

One saved it.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You'd be fun in a pub argument. Let's play your game even longer seeing as you started it! Let's see you stand behind your trolling.

As for infrastructure, one saved the stadium temporarily by signing a paper that cancelled its sale.

One invested in it.

In terms of financing, one used other people's money very likely gained through illegal means and ran the club at a loss.

One used her own money and contributions from fans and fan donors, and runs the club at a profit.

One saved it.

I’d rather have the Cups, thanks.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

I’d rather have the Cups, thanks.

Would you be saying that if Hearts didn't now exist, which it wouldn't if it wasn't for Budge.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The first "paper" included moving debt from bankers who were foreclosing and buying out shareholders who wanted to sell to pay those debts. A tad more than signing "paper". To try and play off Vlad and Budge here is utterly ridiculous. Almost like believing achievements in the 2nd tier equate to the oldest competition in Scotland in fact.

One invested in it.

The former actually gave bigger contracts to youth players and indeed identified young players across Europe to come into the club. The fact that they generally turned out to be pish is moot. Mr Romanov did spend (waste) much more money on young players (5 year contracts for the Armstrongs for example).

One saved it.

They both built up businesses from nothing. You have no proof that Mr Romanov gained through illegal means unless you count working in the black market in the USSR as illegal. Mr Romanov splashed his largesse on Heart of Midlothian. Ann Budge will be paid back with interest.

To infer also that Mr Romanov did not save Heart of Midlothian is tragic. By being forced sellers of Tynecastle, had he not appeared, we would have gone the same way as Airdrie.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

To a degree, yes. Even her determination to stick with her plan doesn’t come close to negating the positives though.

She appears to be following the Tom Farmer model.... for me that’s a no.

1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Nothing like it. We will be debt free with a massively increased income. Farmer saddled them with massive debts for their thoroughly crap infrastructure rebuild, and that left them open to being taken over by Gordon. We will not only be debt free next year, we will have the infrastructure complete, and decisions to make about what to do with our increased income and FoH money. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The first "paper" included moving debt from bankers who were foreclosing and buying out shareholders who wanted to sell to pay those debts. A tad more than signing "paper". To try and play off Vlad and Budge here is utterly ridiculous. Almost like believing achievements in the 2nd tier equate to the oldest competition in Scotland in fact.

The former actually gave bigger contracts to youth players and indeed identified young players across Europe to come into the club. The fact that they generally turned out to be pish is moot. Mr Romanov did spend (waste) much more money on young players (5 year contracts for the Armstrongs for example).

They both built up businesses from nothing. You have no proof that Mr Romanov gained through illegal means unless you count working in the black market in the USSR as illegal. Mr Romanov splashed his largesse on Heart of Midlothian. Ann Budge will be paid back with interest.

To infer also that Mr Romanov did not save Heart of Midlothian is tragic. By being forced sellers of Tynecastle, had he not appeared, we would have gone the same way as Airdrie.

Exactly. Why did you do it then?

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Farmer failed to invest in the first team while funding infrastructure. Budge invested in the team while also investing off the pitch. She's been let down by her last two head coaches though.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Exactly. Why did you do it then?

I was referring to Tynecastle in that point. I thought that was obvious. They both have a legacy with regard to the ground.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I was referring to Tynecastle in that point. I thought that was obvious. They both have a legacy with regard to the ground.

We all know what Romanov's legacy was. If his legacy now looks better (ie the club in a strong position), who do you think we have to thank for that? Anyhow, I'll leave you to your trolling.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

We all know what Romanov's legacy was. If his legacy now looks better (ie the club in a strong position), who do you think we have to that for that? Anyhow, I'll leave you to your trolling.

Cool, and I'll leave you to your delusion that winning in the second tier equates to winning the Scottish Cup.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Cool, and I'll leave you to your delusion that winning in the second tier equates to winning the Scottish Cup.

I didn't say it was. I said it's an interesting pub argument to discuss whether or not it was a greater achievement all things considered. Kind of like how Leicester winning the EPL was a greater achievement than Liverpool winning the CL, or Denmark winning the Euros was a greater achievement than Germany winning the WC, at least in my eyes. Underdogs and all that. Based on your posts, I don't expect you to understand this kind of critical thinking though.

The downplaying of the Championship win (like getting to the cup final last season) is one of the strangest things about some Hearts fans recently. It wasn't;t just an ordinary 2nd tier was it that season. And if it's that easy for a premiership club to skoosh the championship at the first time of asking, that's why Hibs, Rangers and D Utd all did it, 2 of them with bigger budgets than we had in our title winning season. Oh, wait....

Edited by ToqueJambo

Absolutely, without question. Has she been caught flat footed and is she currently out of touch with the views of the majority of fans with regard to CL/the football department, also absolutely. The second sentence though should not, indeed cannot be fatal...she has way too much to offer the club.

Geoff Kilpatrick
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I didn't say it was. I said it's an interesting pub argument to discuss whether or not it was a greater achievement all things considered. Kind of like how Leicester winning the EPL was a greater achievement than Liverpool winning the CL, or Denmark winning the Euros was a greater achievement than Germany winning the WC, at least in my eyes. Underdogs and all that. Based on your posts, I don't expect you to understand this kind of critical thinking though.

The downplaying of the Championship win (like getting to the cup final last season) is one of the strangest things about some Hearts fans recently. It wasn't;t just an ordinary 2nd tier was it that season. And if it's that easy for a premiership club to skoosh the championship at the first time of asking, that's why Hibs, Rangers and D Utd all did it, 2 of them with bigger budgets than we had in our title winning season. Oh, wait....

Hearts won that title in 1980. No one cares. Hearts got promoted in 1982/83. That was the equivalent and it had a bigger legacy.

In other words, getting up was the most important thing rather than the silverware itself.

1 hour ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Correct nearly killed us but the highs were amazing👍

Indeed.the quality of players was amazing,the football was fantastic,then Burley was sacked,it was a slow downfall after that,but hey what a journey.

40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Would you be saying that if Hearts didn't now exist, which it wouldn't if it wasn't for Budge.

But we do. I want Cups !

6 hours ago, jimbo99 said:

wow!  some poll result after this 2 day festival of misinformed bollocks.

The poll is from July. It’s barely related to the thread it was merged with.

8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

To equal this guy, she needs to run us down to virtual extinction. Wind down the Academy. Not pay players. Get us relegated. Apply for planning consent for hotel or any other change of use planning purposes for dubious reasons. 

She can then apply to be as glorious as him. 

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, Sid said:

To equal this guy, she needs to run us down to virtual extinction. Wind down the Academy. Not pay players. Get us relegated. Apply for planning consent for hotel or any other change of use planning purposes for dubious reasons. 

She can then apply to be as glorious as him. 

And win two Scottish Cups and get us 2nd place in the league. 👍

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

I don't think some fans care about success on the pitch anymore, it's all about massaging the ego of Budge and Levein at all costs. 'Oh I love you very much queen Ann'. Turns my stomach.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I don't think some fans care about success on the pitch anymore, it's all about massaging the ego of Budge and Levein at all costs. 'Oh I love you very much queen Ann'. Turns my stomach.

The quote is nauseating stuff.

Mrs Budge stands firm while the man-babies in the support stamp their feet and grizzle like wee bairns. 

Mrs Budge puts the foot down and the man-babies go into hyper strop mode.

This saga is becoming quite entertaining, reminds me why I stopped having children 25 years ago.

43 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Agreed.  The 'queen Ann' stuff is hideous chat.  There is an acceptance of mediocrity at the club right now.

Edited by Randy Marsh

GorgieFifeLife
30 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Mrs Budge stands firm while the man-babies in the support stamp their feet and grizzle like wee bairns. 

Mrs Budge puts the foot down and the man-babies go into hyper strop mode.

This saga is becoming quite entertaining, reminds me why I stopped having children 25 years ago.

Hiya Craig, hiya pal

:cornette:

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

I’d take all three of them but lost the love-in the way it ended.