Ann Budge?

Beast Boy

Ann Budge - overwhelmingly good for Hearts?  

1,111 members have voted

1. 1. Has Ann Budge been overwhelmingly good for our football club?

CloustonHMFC

Absolutely no doubting she has our club in a great position off the field. We’re the most stable we’ve been in decades and the future looks very bright. She’s invested in all the right areas and soon our turnover will speak for itself. I hope she continues in her role after the FoH takeover.

Things need to improve on the field and hopefully this season will start to rectify that. If not then she needs to be tough and find a new management team but for the time being they get 100% backing from me.

I get everyone is entitled to their opinion etc etc but anyone who thinks she hasn’t done wonders for our club are blinded by hatred and don’t see past the first team squad to the bigger picture. 

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• sadj

• Forever Hearts

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think some voted No as a reaction to the OP.

What makes you think that Jeffry? 🤔

Hectormasson
6 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Shes been decent for the new stand but poor for the football since the Championship season.

She pins too much faith on her comfort blanket CL and she comes over too hard on her own customers while turning a blind eye to opposition fans.

Totally agree 100% with you on that,

The Future's Maroon
23 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Very possible, but it is a simple question with a simple answer for 99.9% of Jambos for me. 👍

Edited by The Future's Maroon

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Obviously the answer is yes. However, just to play devil's advocate and try to defend the indefensible...

Our possibly final ever game against St Mirren was now 7 years ago. We entered administration 6 years ago. We exited administration 5 years ago. A new generation of fans will be beginning to come through who either weren't supporting Hearts through those dark days or who were too young to really pay attention to the business side and understand what was going on. Some of them will now be in their late teens or even early twenties. The idea that Hearts could disappear might seem completely far-fetched. Some still too young to look at long-term and big picture. They might judge Budge on short-term success on the pitch plus their relationship with the club as fans. From that perspective it might not seem like Budge has been overwhelmingly positive for Hearts.

That said, if you are older than about 22 , have been following Hearts for more than 5 years and think the answer is no then you are an absolute idiot. Someone earlier in the thread said Budge's backing of Levein was in danger of tarnishing her legacy. Looking back in 5 years time that might be true. But looking back in 20 years I am confident that no one will talk about Levein or lack of footballing success when assessing her legacy. In 50 years time Budge is likely to be remembered as one of the most important and positive people in Hearts' history and a more important owner than even Wallace Mercer.

What an absolute pleasure to get such a measured reply 

39 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

At my time of voting yes (ridiculous easy poll) there are 13 Hobo’s who have voted no.

How any Hearts fan can vote no astounds me, so they can’t be Hearts fans.

For a start, without her we wouldn’t have a Hearts and this forum would have closed years ago.

This x 100. Had she made the odd mistake?

Would we still be in existence without her? No

Let that sink in. No HMFC without her. No stadium. No team. Just thousands of people watching Jeff Stelling and the chaps on a Saturday afternoon

Edited by Jamhammer

9 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Very possible, but it is a simple question with a simple answer for 99.9% of Jambos for me. 👍

It’s a perfectly simple question for everyone. Geoffrey is a bit ‘funny’ though.

Geoff Kilpatrick
21 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Quite so.

Fair enough question. Pathetic you even felt you needed to ask it (not from you - that you felt it needed asked because we have so many loud mouthed twats in our support).

No Budge No Hearts to you muppets.

Coburg Hearts

Even with Ann's financial input we only just scraped over the line. Without it we would have been deader than Monty Python's parrot. (and you don't get much more dead than that)

10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sounds plausible.

Overall Ann has done a great job. Of course there are things she has done that not everyone has agreed with. However it has mostly been excellent.

Okay, well that’s pretty conclusive so far. Also pretty much what you would expect.

When FoH take over, and Ann Budge no longer owns us, I think she may be the only owner in our history to be almost universally fondly regarded. Certainly in my lifetime anyway.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Okay, well that’s pretty conclusive so far. Also pretty much what you would expect.

When FoH take over, and Ann Budge no longer owns us, I think she may be the only owner in our history to be almost universally fondly regarded. Certainly in my lifetime anyway.

We’ve not had many individual owners to be fair. Prior to the 80s we were owned by a band of newsagents, butchers, candlestickmakers etc....

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We’ve not had many individual owners to be fair. Prior to the 80s we were owned by a band of newsagents, butchers, candlestickmakers etc....

Were they popular? Or were those the days when you just never really heard much about owners?

davemclaren
29 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Were they popular? Or were those the days when you just never really heard much about owners?

They were just directors and most were universally disliked from the time I started watching Hearts in 1965 until Archie martin became chairman and started dragging us into the 20th century. Nobody owned a majority of shares with many people owning a few percent.  Wallace Mercer was the first real owner. 

4 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Can't believe there's 16 against Mrs Budge ! Very strange 

One of the poster that voted no is called 'sick.of.romanov'! 

I wonder if he would change his name.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

They were just directors and most were universally disliked from the time I started watching Hearts in 1965 until Archie martin became chairman and started dragging us into the 20th century. Nobody owned a majority of shares with many people owning a few percent.  Wallace Mercer was the first real owner. 

one of the most prominent songs when I started going was about sacking the board   which included proper hearts playing legends from the past

budges overall contribution is obviously fantastic but I think Bryan Jackson mentioned budge couldn't have saved hearts without the hearts fans previously buying £1m of fake shares over a few days

so to correct (again) one of the particularly angry posters above : no supporters no budge no hearts

:)

Absolutely.

Club thriving like never before off the park. On it, there has been a lot of ups and downs, but the future is secure and that is the main thing. Managers come and go, players come and go, but Gorgie will forever be Hearts.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

one of the most prominent songs when I started going was about sacking the board   which included proper hearts playing legends from the past

budges overall contribution is obviously fantastic but I think Bryan Jackson mentioned budge couldn't have saved hearts without the hearts fans previously buying £1m of fake shares over a few days

so to correct (again) one of the particularly angry posters above : no supporters no budge no hearts

:)

Absolutely. Tommy Walker and Bobby Parker were both board members in the 70s and sack the board chants were very common. Luckily, for the board there was no internet and social media then. 

I agree the supporters, with the help of Ann Budge, are the reasons the club still exists. It needed both to be there to get us out of administration. 

13 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

At my time of voting yes (ridiculous easy poll) there are 13 Hobo’s who have voted no.

How any Hearts fan can vote no astounds me, so they can’t be Hearts fans.

For a start, without her we wouldn’t have a Hearts and this forum would have closed years ago.

The wee bigot brigade will have voted no too. Apparently she's killing the club because they're not allowed to launch pyros around and sing about fenians.

Unknown user
19 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I’d do the players first personally. I’d be inclined to name the stadium after her though.

As long as she changes her name to Tynecastle Park first I'm up for that. 

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As long as she changes her name to Tynecastle Park first I'm up for that. 

She's naming herself after a horse ?

I hope she is here for a long time to come. Has been absolutely brilliant for the club. How anyone can have a go at her is beyond me.

Anyone with half a brain knows she has, but sadly there's quite a few supporters within our ranks who lack said half organ to appreciate what she's done.

Facebook is usually where they hide, it's a different, even crazier world over there than KB, and they say we are the arseholes. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

I hope she is here for a long time to come. Has been absolutely brilliant for the club. How anyone can have a go at her is beyond me.

Even if there is anything worth disputing or not necessarily agreeing with, who are we to question her foresight on such matters.

She's proven time and time again that she's a very clever and astute business lady, who is very forward thinking. And from day 1, she has left all football related matters in the hands of those who are trained to do so. A lot of clubs across the UK would kill to have an owner like her. She really has been a breath of fresh air to the Scottish game and our club, and for many, I think we'll only fully appreciate what she's done when she fully relinquishes control.

Just now, Locky said:

Even if there is anything worth disputing or not necessarily agreeing with, who are we to question her foresight on such matters.

She's proven time and time again that she's a very clever and astute business lady, who is very forward thinking. And from day 1, she has left all football related matters in the hands of those who are trained to do so. A lot of clubs across the UK would kill to have an owner like her. She really has been a breath of fresh air to the Scottish game and our club, and for many, I think we'll only fully appreciate what she's done when she fully relinquishes control.

:2thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

hearts without the hearts fans previously buying £1m of fake shares

Yep, did this myself. Eyes wide open and knew they were of little real value other than a donation to keep the lights on. Couple of grand, and happy to have done so.

I did get extra loyalty points for a good few seasons afterwards however, so at least that was something.

33 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yep, did this myself. Eyes wide open and knew they were of little real value other than a donation to keep the lights on. Couple of grand, and happy to have done so.

I did get extra loyalty points for a good few seasons afterwards however, so at least that was something.

Don’t mention loyalty points thats up there with flags.....

John mcCartney
17 hours ago, hm1874fc said:

I think Ann Budge has done a great job and I like and support her but I voted no because she hasn’t “overwhelmingly been good “  as the football side of our great club (that Ann and the FOH saved) and the way she doesn’t deal with the vile behaviour of the old firm fans at  Tynecastle, I feel let’s her down from being overwhelmingly good.

Very entertaining all the sentimentallists on here losing their shit over the `sickening sixteen` of which im part of......

The quote above is where Im at and the reason why I voted no.I see myself as a Hearts Fc customer nowadays rather than a sycophantic fan(Im older now and therefore more cynical of it all).The club have stopped the fawning over us F.o.H and S.t holders long ago and two examples of the owner treating the fan with disregard are thus
1. backing a manager who admitted he couldnt put a coherent team in place on numerous occasions last season.
2. targetting Hearts support while happily taking septic and vermin coin whos allocation to Tynecastle Park is at the root concern of the problem.Not only antagonising the home support but losing points as well(add Strangers fc to the list too)

Too many Hearts fans and supporters out there who take it all whilst never questioning.

Ann Budge has certainly saved the club and Iam in gratitude for that but dont kid yourselves that everything she has presided over is overwhelmingly good.The support is split at this present time and we fans and customers enter the new season with trepidation as well as what seems to be a status quo over away allocations.

However,onwards and upwards with this season coming.

36 minutes ago, sadj said:

Don’t mention loyalty points thats up there with flags.....

Kept quiet about it until the points expired, for exactly that reason. Red-rag to a bull stuff for some on here.

9 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Very entertaining all the sentimentallists on here losing their shit over the `sickening sixteen` of which im part of......

The quote above is where Im at and the reason why I voted no.I see myself as a Hearts Fc customer nowadays rather than a sycophantic fan(Im older now and therefore more cynical of it all).The club have stopped the fawning over us F.o.H and S.t holders long ago and two examples of the owner treating the fan with disregard are thus
1. backing a manager who admitted he couldnt put a coherent team in place on numerous occasions last season.
2. targetting Hearts support while happily taking septic and vermin coin whos allocation to Tynecastle Park is at the root concern of the problem.Not only antagonising the home support but losing points as well(add Strangers fc to the list too)

Too many Hearts fans and supporters out there who take it all whilst never questioning.

Ann Budge has certainly saved the club and Iam in gratitude for that but dont kid yourselves that everything she has presided over is overwhelmingly good.The support is split at this present time and we fans and customers enter the new season with trepidation as well as what seems to be a status quo over away allocations.

Nothing wrong with holding an opposing view. Good points for debate in that post.

4 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

presided over is overwhelmingly good.The support is split at this present time and we fans and customers enter the new season with trepidation as well as what seems to be a status quo over away allocations.

A tiny minority of diet-huns bleeting about their song book being targeted does not constitute a split support.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Surely, even with these issues she has been overwhelmingly good tho…. Not asking for perfect but your two points are very minor compared to say... saving the club and getting the new stand built.

It's like moaning at the surgeon after he's performed a successful triple Heart by pass on you about the bed being uncomfortable and then saying the operation wasn't overwhelmingly good for you because you got a wee sore back.

Bizarre way to look at things overall imo.

I don’t agree with everything she has done at hearts but she has to be given a lot of credit for the position we are now in financially. 

Not without criticism but on the whole she has been great for hearts. 

Getintaethem

Off the field things have gone well, she took over at a desperate time and steadied the ship.  She also presided over the construction of the new stand and secured our home at Tynecastle for the foreseeable future.  That will be her legacy.  So I'd vote yes.

However... It's been five years now, the club had a clean slate and unprecedented financial backing from the fans.  Yet on the field we are bang average and boring to watch.  We regularly lose out on players to clubs that are no bigger than our own (Bryson to Aberdeen the latest example).  We're rapidly approaching the start of the season and look set to go into the first game with the most inexperienced central midfield I can recall in my lifetime.  We're goalshy upfront and in all honesty don't look capable of improving on our meagre sixth place finish last season.  We rely heavily on youth but don't seem to reap any financial benefit from our youth policy.  

I'll be there tonight, but still have majors concerns about the footballing side of the club.  Which is the most important factor, as we are after all a football club.

Big Slim Stylee

You know I appreciate the concerns. It’s maybe right that the focus from some is always on the first team.

But I’d argue the whole concentration has been on bolstering the club on every level from the ground up. It’s not going to grab headlines, it’s not going to enthuse people but it will mean that we stay relevant for many years.

There are many on here that are enthused about how the Academy has been revitalised. That’s essential for a club like us. That comes from CL’s direction.

Off the field you’d have to be utterly dense to have a problem with what Budge has put in place. Some of our base are indeed utterly dense.

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

A tiny minority of diet-huns bleeting about their song book being targeted does not constitute a split support.

Your conveniently joining two different aspects of the post .Im sure your old enough to be aware that albeit a bunch of punters completely and utterly lose their shit over at the Wheatfield
when Septic are at Tynecastle Park and on occasion possibly with coked up vermin .....if you have a decent amount of space and less volume between the two,the atmosphere is certainly healthier.The way I look at it is the home support is completely antagonised,wound up and ignited to explode on those occasions and its certainly not an enjoyable experience for a lot of people,me included....the club should have a duty of care towards its fan base and thats where I feel let down by the club.Reputations are tarnished,all for ****ing coin that must be required to shore up the wastage from first team business.
Not only that but the club loses points as a result of this,iirc when it was last utilised to restrict allocations the points tally increased.
I feel its a point worth bringing up as its allways looked over,its a very important matter.

Just now, Gambo said:

Time for her to step up and get involved in the football side of the club and SACK Levein.

No more Mrs nice girl.

Couldn't agree more. Can be no argument about her running of the business side of the club but she has got it badly wrong putting all of her faith in Levein to run the footballing side of the club. 

No chance will Budge will sack CL.  She is running the club in a Tom Farmer way. CL is a good company man that has not complained about the money we have wasted and how it is impacting the playing squad. Clearly the club is feeling the impact of FOH contributions being diverted to buy Budge out.

Edited by McCrae

Reckon this will be the result that breaks the camels back. If its not its not far away at all. No way Levein can get out of this. 

Another mediocre season 

5 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Reckon this will be the result that breaks the camels back. If its not its not far away at all. No way Levein can get out of this. 

Another mediocre season 

You planning on supporting Hibs again this season?

I voted no. If the the word 'overwhelmingly' had been omitted from the question i wouldve voted yes.

Edited by PnG

The White Cockade
20 minutes ago, McCrae said:

No chance will Budge will sack CL.  She is running the club in a Tom Farmer way. CL is a good company man that has not complained about the money we have wasted and how it is impacting the playing squad. Clearly the club is feeling the impact of FOH contributions being diverted to buy Budge out.

FOH funds being diverted to buy Budge out?

I thought that was the reason for the FOH funds in the first place?

4 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

You planning on supporting Hibs again this season?

You planning on stalking all my posts on a daily basis, cause i made a tit of you on a previous post again. 

Bringing up the fact i would have took a loss to hibs 2 years ago if it guaranteed Levein was sacked as some sort of childish point scoring that i now support Hibs. What are you 8 years old 

Fire away. Nobody is interested