Expectations for the upcoming season?

Haringshairband

Depends on how Kilmarnock do this season but probably 5th or 6th again unless we make some more quality signings this window. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bull's-eye

• Bazzas right boot

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Naisysback said:

Think you need to check that again. Harry was fine from October onwards, was playing reserve team football and Morrison was fine up until around March time. This myth that Harry was injured all season is exactly that a myth. He was in most matchday squads but used very sparingly, probably because of the good start the team made. In terms of losing his spark, it s difficult to come into games and be up to speed, especially SPL match speed but there is no doubt he has struggled to make the same impact, could be a number of reasons, match fitness, not being  unknown entity so opposition players made life harder for him, having different players around him....or a mix of all 3 and more.

Maybe a decent loan for Harry, get him playing every week away from the high expectation...suppose time will tell

Think London hearts has HC down as unused sub on 20 occasions last season.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Hercules said:

You’re one of these new age supporters. Like celebrity supporters. We should be pissed off when we get beaten and delighted when we win. The good old days. People like you just want to be part of something. A collective. In the office, Monday Morning. How was your weekend Dodger. At the footy with the “lads”. Awesome. Think we got beat but awesome. Lads. 

😂😂😂

merseyjambo
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You're really sticking your neck out for Heckingbottom here. We'll see how he does. Excuse me for not watching another country's lower league games though.

As you have so much knowledge of Heckingbottom and Hibs, if you take out say Mallan (probably their most influential player stats wise last season) for almost the whole season, plus Allen, Kamberi and, say McGregor, for large parts of the season, do you think he's signed enough quality for cover, using your knowledge of English lower league football and Heckingbottom himself?

Heckinbottom is exactly the type of manager we should have appointed when Cathro was punted. My choice then as it would be now would have been Michael Flynn. Has Newport playing without fear and are pretty entertaining to watch.

We only had one key player for most of last season. We were still winning games without Berra. 

As far as Hibs are concerned, I saw Doidge last year at Bury when Forest Green were there and he’s got the attributes to be able to play in Scotland. The lad they signed from Rotherham I’ve not seen and have no ideas about but his stats for a team that were in relegation trouble last season, were decent. The lad from Yeovil, might have played when they were at Accrington a couple of years ago. I can’t remember but I know there was talk of a move to Championship either last summer or summer before.

Someone like Kayden Jackson would do really well at Tynecastle. Saw him a couple of times for Accrington a couple of seasons ago. Blistering pace, direct and knows where back of net is. Got a big money move to the basket case that is Ipswich. If Lambert isn’t going to use him, he’s one that definitely would do the business in Scotland. 

I’m fortunate that my job allows me to attend some of these games and see what there is on offer. 

pettigrewsstylist
31 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Expect: 5th behind Celtic, Sevco, Aberdeen and Hibs

Hope: 3rd or second with an exceptional season/higher finish than Hibs regardless of position

Kinda where im at on current squad. Hoping for min 2 new faces in midfield and that they are good enough to have us challenging properly for 4th. Think Aberdeen are too far ahead currently but if all luck shines on us and they have poor season.........

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

Heckinbottom is exactly the type of manager we should have appointed when Cathro was punted. My choice then as it would be now would have been Michael Flynn. Has Newport playing without fear and are pretty entertaining to watch.

We only had one key player for most of last season. We were still winning games without Berra. 

As far as Hibs are concerned, I saw Doidge last year at Bury when Forest Green were there and he’s got the attributes to be able to play in Scotland. The lad they signed from Rotherham I’ve not seen and have no ideas about but his stats for a team that were in relegation trouble last season, were decent. The lad from Yeovil, might have played when they were at Accrington a couple of years ago. I can’t remember but I know there was talk of a move to Championship either last summer or summer before.

Someone like Kayden Jackson would do really well at Tynecastle. Saw him a couple of times for Accrington a couple of seasons ago. Blistering pace, direct and knows where back of net is. Got a big money move to the basket case that is Ipswich. If Lambert isn’t going to use him, he’s one that definitely would do the business in Scotland. 

I’m fortunate that my job allows me to attend some of these games and see what there is on offer. 

Personally I think Berra, Souttar, Haring, Smith and Uche are also key players for us.

We'll see how the English lower league imports do. History (especially Hibs recent experiences with them) suggests they cost a fair bit and tend to under-rate our league. Hibs still look very lightweight to me. I've yet to see anything in Heckingbottom that makes me think he's an improvement on Lennon, other than he's not Lennon.

WheatfieldWarrior
46 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Heckinbottom finished his league season with no wins in 5 last year.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Morph said:

Depends on how Kilmarnock do this season but probably 5th or 6th again unless we make some more quality signings this window. 

This.  If Killie implode this season (which I’m sure they will to a degree) then we’ll likely finish 5th but no higher with the midfield we have.  

"addressing the midfield" seems to be the new line the JKB intelligencia are trotting out. 

Makes thum deek right cluvur.

hoping for 3rd but in all likelihood expecting 4th-6th.

Aberdeen look like they’ve made some decent signings and would think they will be favourites for 3rd. kilmarnock and hibs are a bit unknown quantities given their squad and manager turnarounds, but I’m expecting Motherwell do do a lot better this season.

we really will need Naismith , Haring etc to be fit all season which is going to be a big ask.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

28 points from 24 games.  Only a Hibs fan would want that shite for years to come.

:greatpost:

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Don't give up half way through the season and punt the ball up to MacLean in Paisley would be a good start.

8 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Heckinbottom finished his league season with no wins in 5 last year.

And still finished well above hearts 

Between 5th and 7th...our season hinges on how good killie, st Johnstone and Motherwell are.

Old firm, aberdeen, hibs be out of reach based on current team and last season showing 

Hard to say really, I think I'd be confident of a European place if we were to sign a decent winger along with someone like Mulumbu. 

If we don't I reckon we're looking at 5th, I think that ultimately our keepers are going to cost us a few points but we do have some great defensive options and attacking threat.

By the end of the season I reckon a couple of the ladies will have forced their way into the team, fingers crossed this is the year that we finally see the academy shine and hopefully next summer we're only going to want a couple of additions

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

"addressing the midfield" seems to be the new line the JKB intelligencia are trotting out. 

Makes thum deek right cluvur.

Anyone that understands football knows our midfield is shite.  You, if you really are a Jambo, are happy to settle for years more of relegation playoff form and, if an earlier poster is correct, wanted Cathro to stay after the League Cup shambles.

It would appear that you’re the one who’s not too cluvur, or more likely, you’re just a sad, wee attention seeking troll.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Hard to say really, I think I'd be confident of a European place if we were to sign a decent winger along with someone like Mulumbu. 

If we don't I reckon we're looking at 5th, I think that ultimately our keepers are going to cost us a few points but we do have some great defensive options and attacking threat.

By the end of the season I reckon a couple of the ladies will have forced their way into the team, fingers crossed this is the year that we finally see the academy shine and hopefully next summer we're only going to want a couple of additions

I think you’ve got a bit too carried away with the women’s World Cup😂

Cut The Crap
6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think you’ve got a bit too carried away with the women’s World Cup😂

Maybe he really meant ladies. Looking at our squad it might be worth considering.

19 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Is a bit of entertaining football too much to ask for?

Absolutely not. I was purely painting a picture of what I think is acceptable for us to be achieving position-wise. The standard of football and/or entertainment is a different question altogether!

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Anyone that understands football knows our midfield is shite.  You, if you really are a Jambo, are happy to settle for years more of relegation playoff form and, if an earlier poster is correct, wanted Cathro to stay after the League Cup shambles.

It would appear that you’re the one who’s not too cluvur, or more likely, you’re just a sad, wee attention seeking troll.

Gibberish.

I stated earlier in this very thread my expectation for this season is 3rd at the least and a bit of Silverware. 

Not sure how that reads as being happy with relegation form but it certainly seems like your not the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer so I'll file your opinion in the drivel file.

Naismith Washington and Walker are going to make a huge difference to the team 

I think we will be playing a 4231 formation and they 3 possibly behind Uche 

Also Mulraney is like a new signing came on heaps last season and I do think Clare in the middle will do well the boy has definitely got something about him

The young lads Cochrane Irving and smith are more than capable of stepping up now 

I think we do have a good squad but as some say a good midfielder to sit with haring and possibly another wide man I reckon we will definitely challenge Aberdeen 

If we don’t sign anyone I still feel optimistic with the squad it is better than last year up top by miles 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Also Mulraney is like a new signing came on heaps last season and I do think Clare in the middle will do well the boy has definitely got something about him

The young lads Cochrane Irving and smith are more than capable of stepping up now 

I think we do have a good squad but as some say a good midfielder to sit with haring and possibly another wide man I reckon we will definitely challenge Aberdeen 

If we don’t sign anyone I still feel optimistic with the squad it is better than last year up top by miles 

Can’t play those three behind Uche and Mulraney, who knows what formation we will play but Friday should give us an indication. We started last season with a 532 until they realised Haring was a midfielder.

Not very high at the moment

Players injured  already 

Pre-Season seems disjointed with Players left behind for Ireland trip or joining half way through

No sign of Levein knowing his strongest line up

Arguably our best midfielder gone and lack of a stellar signing 

Walker happy to have missed Gullane 

But here’s hoping the young lads step up.

They’ve been loaned out and should be tougher and up for the physicality hopefully 

scott herbertson
18 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I saw Doidge for Forest Green when they played Bromley a couple of years ago. Forest Green were great and Doidge scored but I wasn't particularly impressed with him - looked like a slightly more athletic but less able Kambieri - lot of running but not much effect. We'll see though - it is always a risk when players move as to whether they gel (like Haring) or do't (like Vanacek)

7 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Gibberish.

I stated earlier in this very thread my expectation for this season is 3rd at the least and a bit of Silverware. 

Not sure how that reads as being happy with relegation form but it certainly seems like your not the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer so I'll file your opinion in the drivel file.

Another absolute shite post from you then. Keeping it at a consistent level at least

19 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Another absolute shite post from you then. Keeping it at a consistent level at least

Why ?

Can't you understand what it says ?

Or are you just another one of the creepy lurkers that follow me around?

I doubt you personally will respond for obvious reasons but I'm happy to hear the gang response. 

Cheers.

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

:spoton:

12 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Why ?

Can't you understand what it says ?

Or are you just another one of the creepy lurkers that follow me around?

I doubt you personally will respond for obvious reasons but I'm happy to hear the gang response. 

Cheers.

Dont need to follow you around, you pop up like a bad smell on most threads, posting your moronic rubbish.

I think, in your head, you imagine you are incredibly witty, the reality is very different, my wee pal

5 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

Another thread derailed by childish bickering. Grow up.

This. 

48 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Dont need to follow you around, you pop up like a bad smell on most threads, posting your moronic rubbish.

I think, in your head, you imagine you are incredibly witty, the reality is very different, my wee pal

"Wee" 

That seems to be the gang point of attack. 

2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

"Wee" 

That seems to be the gang point of attack. 

Noticed that too. Quite the little clique. 😄

10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Noticed that too. Quite the little clique. 😄

Odd how the gang  know I've got a urinary  infection. 

Is nothing sacred?

5 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Odd how the gang  know I've got a urinary  infection. 

Is nothing sacred?

:rofl:

Kids, mate. 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t play those three behind Uche and Mulraney, who knows what formation we will play but Friday should give us an indication. We started last season with a 532 until they realised Haring was a midfielder.

I love how some posters make out how anything good that happens at Hearts is some sort of accident. Cup final. Bah it was an easy draw. Haring in midfield. Bah he just fell into that position, Levein got lucky. Walked the championship. Bah it was just the Championship. 

Interesting use of "they" by the way. Nothing like coaches, players and fans all pulling in the same direction!

Fozzyonthefence
10 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Gibberish.

You expect 3rd at the least and silverware, yet you’re happy to stick with the manager who was responsible for a run of 28 points from 24 games for years to come?!  A run worse than St Mirren and Hamilton.  That would suggest you’re happy with relegation play off form. And you wanted to stick with Cathro when he was sacked?

I hope for top 3 and silverware but to “expect” it with the squad we currently have is fantasy.  

23 hours ago, S Form said:

If this board member doesn’t think we can compete with Aberdeen he should give up his position. Matching them is the very least I expect from our club. In fact, if we’re not outdoing them I’d be very disappointed. 

I’m completely baffled by their apparent runaway commercial success and burgeoning US investment - on what is this based?

As he told me, we are not long out of administration and are currently in the transitional stage of passing over the club ownership to the fans. As a result we need to ensure our own financial stability. We are also trying to keep word down in regards to the main stand. There are still a number of issues that need resolved. He didn't expand on what. He told me that someone who worked for Hearts a few years ago (A hearts fan as well) took on a role at Aberdeen that has helped them increase their commercial successes. Interestingly we have a very good rapport with Hibs and specifically leanne Dempster (apparently she is very welcoming). As are Celtic, Aberdeen and in general everyone in the Scottish leagues however The Rangers are the only club that we have very little to do with. They essentially stick themselves and are the only club not to greet us when we arrive at Ibrox. Most clubs in the SPL (Hibs included) are very welcoming and will provide a meal/ dinning experience where both clubs board members get together. Also he reiterated once again that the new Hibs owner is creating a lot of excitement over nothing. He's not going to be ploughing the money in as he simple doesn't have it. The Hearts board are amused that he is being referred to as a "tycoon" when he's only worth 50 million.

Hectormasson
12 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Correct, but we mustn't have  an injury list like last season ..as weve a few getting constantant treatment ,,even this early on...

38 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Also forgot to say this year is a consolidation year, whatever you want to make of that.

Agreed and I fear it could be a battle to finish 5th or 6th. I think we're all aware the OF are going to be untouchable and will likely create a large gap between them and the rest of us by new year and possibly much earlier.

Kilmarnock will be a bit of an unknown quantity with a new manager in place but I see no way they can maintain the lofty heights of last season on a long term basis.

Aberdeen are no great shakes but McInnes seems to have devised a way to consistently grind out narrow wins along the way with a mixture of sheer physicality and hoof ball. I don't see them being so lucky as they were last season against the OF which alone will reel them back in some.

And that of course still leaves hibs and their new manager plus new owner who is promising team investment. I suspect it's going to be a long and difficult season.

But I have been wrong before and hopefully wrong again with that prediction. 

TyphoonJambo

I'm going to be optimistic and go for 4th with at least one good cup run. I think there is at least one quality signing to come and a couple of the youngsters to shine. Not quite on the happy trrain but still starting the season with a positive outlook. 

On 08/07/2019 at 02:34, Cade said:

Minimum aims are top six and a decent run in one of the cups (QF at least).

Realistic aims are top 4 and an appearance at Hampden. Hopefully with a European spot earned through any means.

Dreamland is domestic treble and beating hibs 8-0 in every derby.

So if we finish 6th this season in the league that would be 3 years on the bounce with a 6th place finish 

I don’t think that’s acceptable or should be deemed acceptable for a club our size 

it might be a realistic expectation that you are making but realistically we should be aiming higher 

IMO - not having a go at what you have said in your post 

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

So if we finish 6th this season in the league that would be 3 years on the bounce with a 6th place finish 

I don’t think that’s acceptable or should be deemed acceptable for a club our size 

it might be a realistic expectation that you are making but realistically we should be aiming higher 

IMO - not having a go at what you have said in your post 

5th or 6th is a realistic expectation,  given that we’ve finished 6th and been utter shite for the last 2 seasons and it’s looking unlikely that we we’re going to be strengthened from last season, other than hopefully injuries being kinder to us.

5th or 6th, however, is not an acceptable target.

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

5th or 6th is a realistic expectation,  given that we’ve finished 6th and been utter shite for the last 2 seasons and it’s looking unlikely that we we’re going to be strengthened from last season, other than hopefully injuries being kinder to us.

5th or 6th, however, is not an acceptable target.

You worded it much better than I did 👍

10 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

As he told me, we are not long out of administration and are currently in the transitional stage of passing over the club ownership to the fans. As a result we need to ensure our own financial stability. We are also trying to keep word down in regards to the main stand. There are still a number of issues that need resolved. He didn't expand on what. He told me that someone who worked for Hearts a few years ago (A hearts fan as well) took on a role at Aberdeen that has helped them increase their commercial successes. Interestingly we have a very good rapport with Hibs and specifically leanne Dempster (apparently she is very welcoming). As are Celtic, Aberdeen and in general everyone in the Scottish leagues however The Rangers are the only club that we have very little to do with. They essentially stick themselves and are the only club not to greet us when we arrive at Ibrox. Most clubs in the SPL (Hibs included) are very welcoming and will provide a meal/ dinning experience where both clubs board members get together. Also he reiterated once again that the new Hibs owner is creating a lot of excitement over nothing. He's not going to be ploughing the money in as he simple doesn't have it. The Hearts board are amused that he is being referred to as a "tycoon" when he's only worth 50 million.

Very interesting. I appreciate that, business wise, we are still getting back on our feet to some extent and the major commitment of a new stand will have an impact. I’m still a wee bit confused as to why Aberdeen’s commercial activity is so much more successful than ours. Their audience is smaller, Pittodrie isn’t exactly a palatial option when it comes to conferences/functions and the city of Aberdeen is no longer a place that’s stuffed full of mega affluent energy firms.

Overall we should be in a much better position to exploit commercial opportunities - maybe that will come in time. 

I’m not surprised about the hospitality shown by other clubs - it’s the least you’d expect from a professionally run outfit.

That the Rangers don’t provide the courtesy of a welcome demonstrates a lack of class.

i don’t expect better from last season tbh. I think we still need some players to compete at the top.  Not looking forward to this season. I think the football under Levein is poor. That said still bought my season ticket and will be there to support. Top six at best for us. Aberdeen,hibs and rangers and Celtic above us.