Expectations for the upcoming season?

Haringshairband

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Just to watch us play some decent football would be a good start to the season

Is this decent football in relation to Champions league/EPL/Budesliga or decent football in respect to the rest of the SPL?

Edited by Byyy The Light

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bull's-eye

• Bazzas right boot

40 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Same as every other season, good football, not so good football, wins, draws and losses. 

Top 3 and a Cup is a realistic expectation I think,

?

I’m expecting finishing 4th and hoping for a decent cup run. 

If we improve our midfield and have a lot of luck with injuries I think we can do that.

I dont know what to expect.

What I would like is if the team didnt drop silly points like last season to teams we really should be beating.

A good cup run and I'd love success in the wee cup.

Based on current squad 5th or maybe 6th but that depends on having a start like we did last season. If we start like we finished last season, which let's be honest we're definitely capable of then it could easily be bottom six. Our points total in the 2nd half of the season was shockingly bad and to be honest I'm not convinced we've recruited particularly well and definitely not in the area where it was most needed. 

Europe! We better get *** Europe this season! Anything less is a failed season! 

A top six finish is NOT acceptable goal! Infact it’s an unacceptable goal! 

It's hard to know at this stage when we don't know what our squad will be. I like the recruitment so far and would expect we will bring in at least one more quality midfielder assuming Djoum and Lee move on. Holding on to Souttar would be a big plus. I still want another proven goalscorer.

The advantage we have over our rivals is that they have European games to play...  and hopefully for as long as possible.

I expect us to safely negotiate the League Cup group stage. I would love to see us win that trophy!

Celtic under Lennon don't seem as invincible as they were especially if they lose players... and I still don't think Rangers are that great and will struggle to replace Morelos if he goes. Aberdeen seem to have strengthened. Killie are surely going to go backwards without Clarke and hopefully Hibs too.

So with a bit of luck and another couple of additions to our squad, I'd hope to see us challenging Aberdeen and Rangers for second. 

25 minutes ago, dougal said:

Based on current squad 5th or maybe 6th but that depends on having a start like we did last season. If we start like we finished last season, which let's be honest we're definitely capable of then it could easily be bottom six. Our points total in the 2nd half of the season was shockingly bad and to be honest I'm not convinced we've recruited particularly well and definitely not in the area where it was most needed. 

Sadly that's how I see it too.

This is an easy One.  we should all expect top-4. That is the stated aim of chairwoman and DoF. Anything less is failure. How many failures do you get as a Head Coach at Hearts. One, yes, two, maybe, depending on the circumstances. Three, absolutely not.

I realise we are all a little concerned about the squad and especially about the midfield. But whether we improve will be dependant on guys already there like Clare, Mulraney and White. Guys we have relatively  low expectations of but who could be excellent players for us. 

I also want to see Levein get a formation that suits us and plays to our strengths. We should rarely change it unless we are away to the OF. I want to see us take the games to other teams and stop playing gutless laborious loser football.  

SM Sheffield
3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Why 3rd minimum? Absolutely no logic to that statement.

Depends how much Hibs are allowed to invest in the side this transfer window. If they get an extra couple of million then it makes it very hard for us to compete. If Aberdeen get big money for McKenna and invest some of it in the squad it makes it very difficult. Rangers are looking to get £15-20m for Morellos and then spend £5m on a striker from Leeds! We cant compete with that.

Personally I think it is unlikely even if Morelos is sold that Rangers would spend £5m on one player. It is even more unlikely in my opinion that Leeds will sell their top scorer for the past two seasons for that figure too. Leeds I imagine would want more money than that for a proven Championship goal scorer even if he only has one year left of his contract. 

Swansea have just put a £20m price tag on Oli McBurnie, £5m in my opinion wouldn’t be enough. I also think Roofe would have better options than Rangers if he leaves. And I say this as a Sheffielder, Leeds are already a better option club wise.

I don’t know for definite or have inside info but I think that story and that player link is an article from the Glasgow media to gain favour with the Rangers support. Otherwise I agree with your post. Progress in terms of points and league position has to be the aim, hopefully leading to European football but it will be difficult given that Aberdeen and Hibs will both be stronger. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, SM Sheffield said:

Personally I think it is unlikely even if Morelos is sold that Rangers would spend £5m on one player. It is even more unlikely in my opinion that Leeds will sell their top scorer for the past two seasons for that figure too. Leeds I imagine would want more money than that for a proven Championship goal scorer even if he only has one year left of his contract. 

Swansea have just put a £20m price tag on Oli McBurnie, £5m in my opinion wouldn’t be enough. I also think Roofe would have better options than Rangers if he leaves. And I say this as a Sheffielder, Leeds are already a better option club wise.

I don’t know for definite or have inside info but I think that story and that player link is an article from the Glasgow media to gain favour with the Rangers support. Otherwise I agree with your post. Progress in terms of points and league position has to be the aim, hopefully leading to European football but it will be difficult given that Aberdeen and Hibs will both be stronger. 

Rangers spent £11m on absolute dross last season with no Morelos money. If they qualify for the group stages of the Europa League and sell Morelos or Tavernier they could easily spend £5m. It's an arms race with Celtic but their nuclear arsenal is far superior. Expect Rangers to go for it to stop 10 in a row.

SM Sheffield
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Rangers spent £11m on absolute dross last season with no Morelos money. If they qualify for the group stages of the Europa League and sell Morelos or Tavernier they could easily spend £5m. It's an arms race with Celtic but their nuclear arsenal is far superior. Expect Rangers to go for it to stop 10 in a row.

They might spend £5m on a player, I don’t think they will, but I’m pretty confident they wouldn’t get Kemar Roofe for £5m.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, SM Sheffield said:

They might spend £5m on a player, I don’t think they will, but I’m pretty confident they wouldn’t get Kemar Roofe for £5m.

Yeah pretty sure we can agree on that.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Having added Washington and Walker to the likes Clare, Naismith and Mulraney I think we could play some really good stuff. Find out soon.

I agree 100%.

However we need a bit of luck to avoid injuries and guys like Clare and Mulraney to emerge fully. 

If all the parts come together it could be exciting. 

If players break down fitness wise, then we'll have a problem again. 

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I agree 100%.

However we need a bit of luck to avoid injuries and guys like Clare and Mulraney to emerge fully. 

If all the parts come together it could be exciting. 

If players break down fitness wise, then we'll have a problem again. 

I think we have some decent cover now. White with Hickey to cover at left back. Attacking positions I think Walker and Washington mean we can play without Naismith or Uche or both. I've not written off Wighton yet and we've got the likes of Morrison and McDonald to emerge. The future is bright for us!

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think we have some decent cover now. White with Hickey to cover at left back. Attacking positions I think Walker and Washington mean we can play without Naismith or Uche or both. I've not written off Wighton yet and we've got the likes of Morrison and McDonald to emerge. The future is bright for us!

Definitely. 

I’ve currently got low expectations for the season, and I’m probably about as unenthusiastic as I’ve ever been going into a new season. Really hoped we’d make one signing that would excite me, but sadly not so far. Appreciate others will be excited by our signings though, and perhaps I’ve still got a bit of a hangover from last season. 

bighalders

Usual 10 behind the ball at ibrox parkhead etc and despite it never working we still do it and in 19/20 season finish 6th with levein still going on about his master plan

siegementality
10 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

More injuries, no style, caution away from home, not knowing our strongest 11, bickering on here between folk who expect more and folk who accept anything.

Spot on. Not only is that my expectation but I’ll guarantee it will come to pass. I’ll also add constant excuses regarding poor performances from the manager.

FOH will become majority shareholder in Hearts FC, we fans who saved our club from extinction will own a controlling interest in The Famous Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Regardless of how the season pans out on the pitch, this will be a momentous occasion in the history of our football club.  So at least there will be something to celebrate!

I'd also hope we claim a European place, and winning a cup would be nice too.

StevenNaismith

I still feel we are a couple of players (central midfielder and a winger) away from being ready to compete for 3rd. Likely to battle for 4th/5th with Hibs based on our current squad in my opinion.

More ambition needs to be shown from the manager when we play away from Tynecastle though, do that and who knows where we could end up if we have some luck with injuries.

14 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Our principle issue was clearly Injuries. 

No player has said coaching was the issue. Not one. 

No saying coaching is an issue 

But come on no player is gonna come out and say it is an issue are they!!  or they'll no play again and find themselves training with the under 18's 

My expectations 

A top 3/4 finish

You need a decent midfield to create chances for our forward line to score goals and we don't have anyone who can create or dictate a game in there so it'll be hoofball and trying to win games by the goal and and shutting up shop route 

Bottom 6 and Levein gone by January is my prediction 

I will replace the word expectations with hopes.  My hope is that we make the same start that we made last season and that this time we don't get destroyed by injuries.  My Expectations are that the squad is stronger this year so I expect us to be heavily in the mix for 3rd place assuming that we can't keep pace with Rangers.  

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

My expectations 

A top 3/4 finish

You need a decent midfield to create chances for our forward line to score goals and we don't have anyone who can create or dictate a game in there so it'll be hoofball and trying to win games by the goal and and shutting up shop route 

Bottom 6 and Levein gone by January is my prediction 

Ever thought of taking up Buddhism?  Must be hard being so miserable every day.  

Cut The Crap

I'm not convinced we will make the top 6 this year.

Not enough has changed from last season either behind the scenes or in the playing squad to make me think we're going to witness a sea change in style or results.

Unless we can somehow replicate the excellent results from the first dozen games of last season, we're going to struggle. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

No saying coaching is an issue 

But come on no player is gonna come out and say it is an issue are they!!  or they'll no play again and find themselves training with the under 18's 

Aye, but also guys wouldn't sign extensions and guys like Halkett and Naismith wouldn't sign. 

Souttar, Haring, Uche all signing extensions would say the players are behind the coaching team. 

Our inability to adapt quickly enough to the injuries was a problem. 

Hoping for top 3/4. Carrying a threat in Glasgow and Aberdeen not just damage limitation. Derby domination. Good cup runs. More exciting brand of football. Less injury effects. That we uncover a midfield gem. I do not know though about expectations but that's football.

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aye, but also guys wouldn't sign extensions and guys like Halkett and Naismith wouldn't sign. 

Souttar, Haring, Uche all signing extensions would say the players are behind the coaching team. 

Our inability to adapt quickly enough to the injuries was a problem. 

Disagree

You're signing for one of Scotland's biggest clubs manager's change all the time that's the appeal managers change all the time and especially at Hearts recently. No player in their right mind is gonna slate tactics or coaching to the media. Its Professional suicide 

Now I'm no saying the players have a problem but if they did there is no chance they are making it known unless it dire dire straits. Levein is well respected within the club and so he should be but he's outdated in his tactics and approach in the modern game that's the problem 

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Ever thought of taking up Buddhism?  Must be hard being so miserable every day.  

Tried it and it was a load of utter pish the boy who ran it was useless, a dinosaur in the modern day. The Boy looked like a fat Craig Levein now i think about it 

The Old Tolbooth

Unless we sign some quality in the middle of the park, then I feel we're staring at a bottom 6 finish, I've heard from inside the club though that we're not expecting to sign another midfielder, and that Clare is expected to be the creative spark in the middle of the park (heaven help us all, there's a player in there somewhere, but if he continues the way he played last season then heaven help us all!)

With Djoum and Lee gone, surely there some wages freed up that we can use for another midfielder, or have they all been used on Halkett, Washington, and Walker (jury very much out on him!), which means unless Naisy is fit to play then we're in trouble again before a ball is kicked because as far as I can see, we're very much a one man team when it comes to creativity up top!

A_A wehatethehibs

Top of the shopping list was goals, we’ve brought in Walker at #11 and Washington at #9. There’s a lot riding on them coming good, for me it’s the season of reckoning for the Levein directorship / recruitment. We’ve signed far too many duds and we suffered from a proper goal drought last season really when you look at the goals numbers outside Naismith... nobody getting more than 2 or 3 goals. DM Haring with 5 was the best scoring record, it’s poor. But if Uche and Naismith stay fit for the whole season, with everyone else fit and playing at their best we have the potential to be a very good side with real firepower. 

Super_Hans

Aim should be 3rd. After the last three league seasons though, 4th is the minimum requirement for me.

Four seasons in a row outside the top 4 would be unacceptable. 

frankblack

The team as it stands is nowhere near good enough to do anything top six.

We definitely need to strengthen and I am surprised how slow we have been in the transfer market.

Hectormasson
17 hours ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Not convinced we have fully sorted out the creativity issue within the squad.  Transfer window still open though so that can still be fixed.

Another forward ,right winger and a goalie ,,,,

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We definitely need to strengthen and I am surprised how slow we have been in the transfer market.

That’s nonsense. An upgrade on Djoum and we would be far stronger than last season. We’ve improved the defence with White / Halkett. We’ve added goals and assists with Walker / Washington. Clare playing centre mid could prove to be a wee spark of genius. We have a young squad both in terms of signings and academy players, which means the current squad also has a large capacity for improvement and growth. 

I am expecting very little.

I will probably still end up disappointed. 

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I agree and it is rather worrying that we are about to start competetive games and I don;t think even CL knows what his best starting midfield is yet.

He seems to think that Clare is now ready to be a central midfielder and presumably once fit he is considering Walker in this area as well with Haring being the defensive one.

It seems he is suggesting business will only be done once Djoum has confirmed he is away and Lee has got another club.

Does that mean he doesn't have an actual target signing and is looking for the usual bargain basement stuff towards the end of the window?

Central midfield was the area we stuggled in last season especially after Haring was out and for me as much as it would be nice to give Cochrane and Irving games they are still inexperienced and are going to struggle playing every week and we don't have the back-up to improve the team.

We need a Bryson type midfielder so hopefully CL has someone in mind and get get them in sooner rather than later.

innerjambo

Under current circumstances, we should aim for 6th or 7th. I think 8th would be a little disappointing, but I will still carry on clapping regardless. 

My expectations will be the same as every season, in games against the OF I hope we win, every single other game I expect us to win even although I know we won't, it's still the expectation.

ToadKiller Dog

Hearts expectations should always be top 4, Europe qualification and draw dependent at worst quarters in both cups. 

What I think will happen it's way to early, but another 6th place ain't good enough. 

Depends who we sign. The squad at the moment is very light in midfield. Will Naismith be here and ready for the start of the league campaign? Who will replace Djoum, will Lee leave etc etc.

Every season Hearts should be top 4 and challenging for cups, however we don’t and that’s not a new phenomenon it’s been like that for a very long time.

Unfortunately Pep gave the world a new brand of football and suddenly fans expect a pretty to watch football team...I’ll happily take winning games in whatever style gets the job done! Hibs have been playing flair football since the dawn of time apparently and it’s done them no good so far.