Expectations for the upcoming season?

Haringshairband

Nookie Bear
13 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

As he told me, we are not long out of administration and are currently in the transitional stage of passing over the club ownership to the fans. As a result we need to ensure our own financial stability. We are also trying to keep word down in regards to the main stand. There are still a number of issues that need resolved. He didn't expand on what. He told me that someone who worked for Hearts a few years ago (A hearts fan as well) took on a role at Aberdeen that has helped them increase their commercial successes. Interestingly we have a very good rapport with Hibs and specifically leanne Dempster (apparently she is very welcoming). As are Celtic, Aberdeen and in general everyone in the Scottish leagues however The Rangers are the only club that we have very little to do with. They essentially stick themselves and are the only club not to greet us when we arrive at Ibrox. Most clubs in the SPL (Hibs included) are very welcoming and will provide a meal/ dinning experience where both clubs board members get together. Also he reiterated once again that the new Hibs owner is creating a lot of excitement over nothing. He's not going to be ploughing the money in as he simple doesn't have it. The Hearts board are amused that he is being referred to as a "tycoon" when he's only worth 50 million.

Lost interest after the bits in bold. 

Perhaps someone could explain exactly what we get from this “very good rapport” with hibs. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bull's-eye

• Bazzas right boot

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, S Form said:

Very interesting. I appreciate that, business wise, we are still getting back on our feet to some extent and the major commitment of a new stand will have an impact. I’m still a wee bit confused as to why Aberdeen’s commercial activity is so much more successful than ours. Their audience is smaller, Pittodrie isn’t exactly a palatial option when it comes to conferences/functions and the city of Aberdeen is no longer a place that’s stuffed full of mega affluent energy firms.

Overall we should be in a much better position to exploit commercial opportunities - maybe that will come in time. 

I’m not surprised about the hospitality shown by other clubs - it’s the least you’d expect from a professionally run outfit.

That the Rangers don’t provide the courtesy of a welcome demonstrates a lack of class.

Yes, I would like this expanded on too. 

Weakened Offender

Our home form has to improve if we expect to qualify for Europe/challenge in the top 4. This was the biggest disappointment last season.

5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes, I would like this expanded on too. 

One of the areas we are hoping to expand upon is the usage of Tynecastle. Aberdeen use the stadium for a lot of corporate events outside of match day and also have used it for concerts and other events in recent years. They deal with a large portion of local businesses in Aberdeen are continually trying to expand their clientele. We are now trying to do the same by reaching out to businesses in Edinburgh in the hope we can increase the number of corporate events we host. One of the main issues with the new stand is the corporate boxes. The original architect butchered the plans and in the end we were left with no choice but to hire a team of architects in an attempt to resolve the issues. We can expect further work being done on the stand in the future. The restaurant fiasco (the view of Edinburgh being obscured by the school) has caused issues. The idea is to make Tynecastle not just a football ground but to expand its functions i.e. its a football stadium on the weekend but what else can it offer to the public during the week (how else can it generate money throughout the week). Thats why they built a restaurant and originally had plans for other things too. Unfortunately it would involve virtually tearing down large sections of the stand to resolve. In regards to Aberdeen, one of the things he said is that they are killing us through the sale of merchandise. The numbers are there to suggest they have a large following - also you would be right that people in Aberdeen don't have as much money since the oil and gas downturn however they have a larger support then you'd think and they are spending there money on the merchandise and other events outside of football (relating to the club). He believes their stadium is the issue as its one of the most unappealing in Scotland. Their away support was the largest in Scotland last season which suggests that they would rather travel then see their team play at home. New Stadium will change that. Also having their training facilities right next to their stadium is apparently an advantage they can boast about (no other SPL club can) and is something we would like to have but is not possible given the land surrounding Tynecastle is occupied.

Edited by Gorillajam

pettigrewsstylist

Looks like we start without Haring. The only midfielder i regard as "at the standard"

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

One of the areas we are hoping to expand upon is the usage of Tynecastle. Aberdeen use the stadium for a lot of corporate events outside of match day and also have used it for concerts and other events in recent years. They deal with a large portion of local businesses in Aberdeen are continually trying to expand their clientele. We are now trying to do the same by reaching out to businesses in Edinburgh in the hope we can increase the number of corporate events we host. One of the main issues with the new stand is the corporate boxes. The original architect butchered the plans and in the end we were left with no choice but to hire a team of architects in an attempt to resolve the issues. We can expect further work being done on the stand in the future. The restaurant fiasco (the view of Edinburgh being obscured by the school) has caused issues. The idea is to make Tynecastle not just a football ground but to expand its functions i.e. its a football stadium on the weekend but what else can it offer to the public during the week (how else can it generate money throughout the week). Thats why they built a restaurant and originally had plans for other things too. Unfortunately it would involve virtually tearing down large sections of the stand to resolve. In regards to Aberdeen, one of the things he said is that they are killing us through the sale of merchandise. The numbers are there to suggest they have a large following - also you would be right that people in Aberdeen don't have as much money since the oil and gas downturn however they have a larger support then you'd think and they are spending there money on the merchandise and other events outside of football (relating to the club). He believes their stadium is the issue as its one of the most unappealing in Scotland. Their away support was the largest in Scotland last season which suggests that they would rather travel then see their team play at home. New Stadium will change that. Also having their training facilities right next to their stadium is apparently an advantage they can boast about (no other SPL club can) and is something we would like to have but is not possible given the land surrounding Tynecastle is occupied.

They sell lots of merchandise to people who don't go to games? That's weird and in no way could ever make up for gate income. What's one shirt a year - 50 quid? That's just two home game tickets and some food. Bums on seats is what counts in football not merchandise or corporate, etc. It's the only real gauge of a club's support and Aberdeen's is comparatively poor.

I'm also surprised about the comments on Pittodrie. Unappealing in what way. I've been once ages ago and can't really remember but there's incredible history in that place from their 80s period that's very fresh for a lot of their fans. It would be a real wrench for me to leave a stadium like that. We didn't have anything like the sustained success and European adventures Aberdeen had under Ferguson and I still could never face leaving Tynecastle purely because of the memories. 

19 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

Crikey. 😄

Avoid injuries and no reason why we can't challenge for the title.

Hopefully Celtic and Rangers get runs in the Europa League, it is a distraction for them and I'm not concerned about them getting more money when you see they've paid over £11m between them for 2 centre backs, that's ridiculous. What are they going to do? Tackle them to the title?

Get Naismith, go for Mulumbu and we'll have a decent squad.

I'd expect a top-4 finish and 2 Hampden appearances.

Phil Dunphy

Europe is a bare minimum for me. Feels like we’ve stood still in the past 2-3 years and the fans have every right to demand more after pumping so much of their own money into the club.