Expectations for the upcoming season?

Haringshairband

42 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

So we would have been idiotic to expect Leicester City to do anything but win the Premier League in 2017 after winning in 2016?

That the logic you are going with, champ?

Oh aye, that makes me re-think right enough. Leceister had Levein and Mcphee right enough.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bull's-eye

• Bazzas right boot

sidjamesbottle
2 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

Not sure if there is a thread on this (if so please feel free to delete).

I am hoping for a top four finish and a cup run, beating teams closer to us in the league after the split. More importantly i want to see improvements in our style of football. I'd also like some of our younger players like Cochrane to show signs of improvement. I think these are achievable goals.

Just go for it we will beat most teams if we have the courage to get on the front foot more (wee bit concerned about supply to the forwards though)

Gigolo-Aunt

Not convinced we have fully sorted out the creativity issue within the squad.  Transfer window still open though so that can still be fixed.

I expect us to sign a winger and a CM to replace Djoum & Lee.

I expect us to finish 5th or maybe 4th.

I expect at least one semi final, but no finals this year.

TemasekJambo

We will build on last season and finish at least 4th. We do need two more players though, CM and RW. I think Washington will be a hit and players like Mulraney, Clare and Uche will be even better than last year, along with the young lads.

A credible challenge for the Euro places and to be in with a chance post split has to be the aim. Decent cup runs and as always to FTH. Also looking forward to Steven Thompson’s new wardrobe for the season. 

My realistic hope,   2nd,

Satisfaction, top 4.

Expectation, (disappointing) 5th 6th.

Anything below 6th... WTF!

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Absolute minimum needs to be top 4 finish. 

Cups are are a bit harder, but being put out by anything other than Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen or Hibs away is a failure. That should, barring two bad luck draws, get us to a quarter final. 

I think Budge will be pushing a lot harder this year. 

We've probably got the 5th biggest budget now though?

Nookie Bear

Before injuries kicked in we were top and playing well. 

This season, if we an avoid injuries, and our players are one year further on, I see no reason why we cannot expect more of the same. 

Ideally we should be within touching distance of Celtic by the time of the split. 

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Oh aye, that makes me re-think right enough. Leceister had Levein and Mcphee right enough.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Same owner, same coaching staff, same manager, same input. To expect a different output would be idiotic.

So your logic doesn’t extend beyond Levein and MacPhee? Sound. Another 0/10 post brought to you by the resident spangle. 

Captain Sausage
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We've probably got the 5th biggest budget now though?

I think Rangers and Celtic are beyond us right now given where they are financially. Aberdeen too probably. But I’d be pissed off if Hibs/Killie/anyone else was to beat us to 4th. 

Realistic expectations, based on current squad and CL in charge, are 6th and turfed out of both cups by any half decent opposition. 

I have moments of wild optimism when the heady heights of 4th and a semi final get me excited but they don't last. 

As always, I'd be delighted if my pessimism/sarcasm is misplaced and we have a great season but, as things stand, I'm struggling to be positive. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

What we should be expecting - Minimum 3rd.

What we will get - more of the same.

Why 3rd minimum? Absolutely no logic to that statement.

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I think Rangers and Celtic are beyond us right now given where they are financially. Aberdeen too probably. But I’d be pissed off if Hibs/Killie/anyone else was to beat us to 4th. 

Depends how much Hibs are allowed to invest in the side this transfer window. If they get an extra couple of million then it makes it very hard for us to compete. If Aberdeen get big money for McKenna and invest some of it in the squad it makes it very difficult. Rangers are looking to get £15-20m for Morellos and then spend £5m on a striker from Leeds! We cant compete with that.

Captain Sausage
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Depends how much Hibs are allowed to invest in the side this transfer window. If they get an extra couple of million then it makes it very hard for us to compete. If Aberdeen get big money for McKenna and invest some of it in the squad it makes it very difficult. Rangers are looking to get £15-20m for Morellos and then spend £5m on a striker from Leeds! We cant compete with that.

Agree with your point on Hibs. If the new owner invests in the playing side, I’d not hold it against Hearts for finishing 5th. But I don’t see that as a given?

Haringshairband

I'd say that 3rd/4th is not an unreasonable expectation. I think we all want to watch football that's pleasing on the eyes but would posters be happy if we finished in these positions playing a less than progressive style of football?

All roads lead to Gorgie

A roller coaster season with highs and false hopes and lows and frustrations like the last two years. 

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I'd say that 3rd/4th is not an unreasonable expectation. I think we all want to watch football that's pleasing on the eyes but would posters be happy if we finished in these positions playing a less than progressive style of football?

I would 100% take league placing over attractive football. Anyone who says otherwise is talking pish. 

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

Having added Washington and Walker to the likes Clare, Naismith and Mulraney I think we could play some really good stuff. Find out soon.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Probably more of what we got in the last two years...

I'll need to get time off in May for the Scottish Cup final again then. 

GorgieFifeLife

As the squad sits at the moment we will be in a scrap to make it into top 6.  If we get the midfield sorted we could challenge for 3rd.

rick witter
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

5th or 6th, no cups, bang average football, Jammy T and others making excuses for Levein

This. 

But we will be better the following season though. 

When I look at two of our pre season results, my heart sinks.  Not one of us will tolerate inept performances beyond August.

My expectation is that we will play every game with passion  energy and skill.  We will score goals and deliver victories against the OF and our great friends.

If we can do all that,  we'll be challenging for everything.

tartofmidlothian
4 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

Not sure if there is a thread on this (if so please feel free to delete).

I am hoping for a top four finish and a cup run, beating teams closer to us in the league after the split. More importantly i want to see improvements in our style of football. I'd also like some of our younger players like Cochrane to show signs of improvement. I think these are achievable goals.

Exactly this, and I don't want us to lose in either cup to a team below us. It's about the only thing fans can expect from a cup run, aside from battling in every match.

I'd like European qualification as well, but I'd be happy if that happens through fourth place.

First league game away at Aberdeen can be a statement of intent in respect of style and attitude, or we are already accepting a point before a ball is kicked.  Deep in my thoughts I fear I know what the management are already accepting and setting up for.  

That could change with a couple of shrewd midfield signings and how we get the team to gel and the effect that can have on the manner in which we play. 

Given our history i’d back Hearts to get back to top 3 at anytime but it’s up to the people in charge to have the passion to get there and not toddle along waiting for it to happen. 

oh ah grantona

Anything less than top 4 is disgusting as far as I'm concerned 

Cups are a bonus my view point is no point going to Hampden to lose so unless the cup is coming home it's not success 

Beating Hibs 3/4 times 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Why not 3rd? We should be better than  of Hibs, Aberdeen Kilmarnock.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Why not 3rd? We should be better than  of Hibs, Aberdeen Kilmarnock.

3rd would be a brilliant season. Achievable definitely, but not a minimum target. I think Rangers are now far too settled and have far too much money to be in danger of relinquishing 2nd place. Celtic are untouchable. Aberdeen have added Bryson which is a great signing. Hibs have realised fresh investment. If we can get 3rd or 4th coupled with another coupe of trips to Hampden I would be delighted. A very pragmatic outlook perhaps. 

3 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

More injuries, no style, caution away from home, not knowing our strongest 11, bickering on here between folk who expect more and folk who accept anything.

Well, pretty much, this is what I expect next season.

Mr Elwood P
14 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Naismith to play every game top 4.Injured bottom 6.

I think the additions of Walker and Washington will negate the loss of Naismith, if / when he is injured. 

Bull's-eye

Same as every other season, good football, not so good football, wins, draws and losses. 

Top 3 and a Cup is a realistic expectation I think,

9 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Same as every other season, good football, not so good football, wins, draws and losses. 

I'll have what you're on!

Top 6 be achievement based on current team (and how that team performed last season minus decent first 10 games)

25 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Dont mean in cheeky way...genuine question...top 3 based on what?

merseyjambo

What we should be expecting with the wage budget we have is to be challenging for 3rd. Personally don’t think Celtic will be as strong this season as NL is not a patch on the manager Brenda was and if Sevco can keep Morales and on the park, I could see it being really close between those 2. Ourselves, Aberdeen and Hibs should be able to hang onto their coat tails and make it interesting.

What I believe is that Aberdeen and Hibs will make 3rd and 4th. Killie is an interesting one and a lot will depend on how the new manager reacts to the anomaly that is Scottish Football. 

If if we don’t sort out the creativity and pace from midfield then 5th will be the best we can do. Sort it out and all bets would be off. 

Ideally I’d love another decent cup run. Friday without Naismith will be interesting and starting off flat really isn’t an option because RN will take advantage. We can’t get as lucky again as we did with the draw in the SC and expect a 4th round trip to Ibrox or Parkhead

2 hours ago, Biguche said:

I expect top 6

Me too

Probably  5th or 6th again , seems to our lot nowadays and passes as acceptable League wise by all accounts 

maybe another decent run in both cups if the draws kind again , although I think the game next Friday is definitely a banana skin . 

allanwilson1970

@Footballfirst what do you think will happen with all our players from 1999-2002 this season? Can you see any breaking through, surprises, players going on loan, leaving  ?