Expectations for the upcoming season?

Haringshairband

Hectormasson
On 07/07/2019 at 21:29, gnasher75 said:

It's hard to know at this stage when we don't know what our squad will be. I like the recruitment so far and would expect we will bring in at least one more quality midfielder assuming Djoum and Lee move on. Holding on to Souttar would be a big plus. I still want another proven goalscorer.

The advantage we have over our rivals is that they have European games to play...  and hopefully for as long as possible.

I expect us to safely negotiate the League Cup group stage. I would love to see us win that trophy!

Celtic under Lennon don't seem as invincible as they were especially if they lose players... and I still don't think Rangers are that great and will struggle to replace Morelos if he goes. Aberdeen seem to have strengthened. Killie are surely going to go backwards without Clarke and hopefully Hibs too.

So with a bit of luck and another couple of additions to our squad, I'd hope to see us challenging Aberdeen and Rangers for second. 

Hope we do something against the rangers " that's seven straight pumpings weve had from them,cant ever remember it being as bad as that ever f......g woeful !!!!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bull's-eye

• Bazzas right boot

Dagger Is Back

Too early to set an expectation given that we’re only in early July. Will wait and see what the transfer market leads to for us and the rest 

Nookie Bear
18 hours ago, Boris said:

I get that, but historically, since 1983/84, more often than not we are outside the top 4.  Doesn't mean that should be accepted though, and I guess it's a perennial desire.

Consistency would be amazing, and exploiting that infrastructure etc would be great too.

Ironically, looking back at our record, our 200//03 and 2003/04 when we finished third both years was probably our most consistent.

True, but as we hear constantly on these pages, everything is in place to make this club a force. The infrastructure is amazing, the training set up is amazing, our youth players are amazing, our head coach is amazing, our owner is amazing etc etc

Perhaps its it’s about time we started applying that to the immediate future as well. 

50 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

True, but as we hear constantly on these pages, everything is in place to make this club a force. The infrastructure is amazing, the training set up is amazing, our youth players are amazing, our head coach is amazing, our owner is amazing etc etc

Perhaps its it’s about time we started applying that to the immediate future as well. 

Again, I wouldn't disagree!

One would hope that it would be applied at all times!

expectations should pretty much match investment celtic top, 2nd sevco, 3 dons, fourth hearts or hibs, killie 6th

My expectation is to match or invest more than aberdeen (should be a agiven with Hearts) to try and push for minimum 3rd every season. That 100,000 on cctv may just be the differnce between Hearts and Aberdeen. Prioritise funds please

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Our first team squad as it is right now, without the crazy injuries of last season, should be able to compete for 3rd with Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie. I don't see those teams as having better players than us throughout the side. They'll be looking at Naismith, Uche, Haring, Berra, Souttar, Halkett and Walker and saying we have a fair bit of proven quality throughout the side. 

We tend to focus on players like Wighton and other squad players as not being good enough, but who have Hibs and Aberdeen got in reserve if they lose 2 to 4 key players?

Unfortunately we are suffering these “crazy” injuries again - Walker without kicking a ball in ernest and now Haring out again!

Naisysback
23 hours ago, E3OBE said:

Quality right winger & central midfielder short of having a really strong looking squad.

Current squad is a couple of key players getting injured away from another 6th place finish.

Got a quality right sided player in Anthony McDonald if he is given a chance and a run of games. Different from any other player as he looks to pass through defences, not just lump crosses onto the box. A bit of creativity that is missing....time these young players were let off the leash, play them, they will not let you down. Hopefully the loan has benefited him, think Harry would benefit from a loan as well, playing every week in games that matter....

23 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Consistency is the key to separating us from the rest and building a solid foundation to challenge the old firm. Aberdeen done it, all be it they benefited from Rangers, Hibs and us not being in the league. We have a great structure at the club and the expectation should always be to finish at worst 3rd. Just my opinion of course. 

23 hours ago, Boris said:

One that, if looking at income, infrastructure etc, I would agree with!

However, unfortunately, it doesn't always work out like that.

The thing is with this, that is what we are trying to build. It cannot be done quickly though. We have doubled our turnover since Budge took over, and the academy kids of the new era are starting to trickle in to the first team. 

We invest a lot of money in infrastructure and the academy. This is money that could have gone on boom and bust seasons for the first team, and I get that some people want that. It comes without any guarantee of a boom though.

What we are doing, from what I can glean at least, is building the club itself up, so that we can start to outcompete the other nine clubs year on year without the busts that inevitably follow any  booms. We can only achieve this consistency by producing lots of players who are of a standard that we cannot afford to go out and buy in the inflated market that we find ourselves in. If the bulk of our team is produced from within, then we need only buy a small number of really good players, instead of loads of average ones.

Aberdeen are miles behind ourselves in terms of ticket income, but they receive a huge boost through things like corporate hospitality. That is what we need to catch up on and overtake. Combine that with our academy and some player sales, and we will eventually not only have increased our own clout, but we will start reducing theirs through higher places finishes and Cup-runs/wins. Then there is FoH when we no longer have an owner to buy out and a stand to pay off.

We are tantalisingly close to being in this position just now, and like others I think it will be a different manager who sees the benefit of it. I for one hope Levein is DoF when it ripens, so he can see the fruits of his Labour.

The only way we are going to develop good academy prospects is by playing them in competitive matches. There is no other way around that. That means sometimes having to leave a space for them, where we all want a new signing who on paper should come straight in and make an impact. That’s what seems to be happening with midfield just now, I think. Although, if Lee does go, then there is a case for bringing someone in to replace him and Djoum, and still leaving enough space for Cochrane, Smith and Irving to grow.

I’ll get shouted down for this (jam tomorrow etc), but that’s how I see it.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The thing is with this, that is what we are trying to build. It cannot be done quickly though. We have doubled our turnover since Budge took over, and the academy kids of the new era are starting to trickle in to the first team. 

We invest a lot lot of money in infrastructure and the academy. This is money that could have gone on boom and bust seasons for the first team, and I get that some people want that. It comes without any guarantee of a boom though.

What we are doing, from what I can Helen at least, is building the club itself up, so that we can start to outcompete the other nine clubs year on year without the busts that inevitably follow booms. We can only achieve this consistency by producing lots of players who are of a standard that we cannot afford to go out and buy in the inflated market that we find ourselves in. If the bulk of our team is produced from within, then we need only buy a small number of really good players, instead of loads of average ones.

Aberdeen are miles behind ourselves in terms of ticket income, but they receive a huge boost through things like corporate hospitality. That is what we need to catch up on and overtake. Combine that with our academy and some player sales, and we will eventually not only have increased our own clout, but we will start reducing theirs through higher places finishes and Cup-runs/wins. Then there is FoH when we no longer have an owner to buy out and a stand to pay off.

We are tantalisingly close to being in this position just now, and like others I think it will be a different manager who sees the benefit of it. I for one hope Levein is DoF when it ripens, so he can see the fruits of his Labour.

The only way we are going to develop good academy prospects is by playing them in competitive matches. There is no other way around that. That means sometimes having to leave a space for them, where we all want a new signing who on paper should come straight in and make an impact. That’s what seems to be happening with midfield just now, I think. Although, if Lee does go, then there is a case for bringing someone in to replace him and Djoum, and still leaving enough space for Cochrane, Smith and Irving to grow.

Ill get shouted down for this (jam tomorrow etc), but that’s how I see it.

Good post, and I also agree with this.

Your point regards blooding youngsters, to give them the experience etc, is very good, and that's the crux I suppose.  Jam tomorrow as you put it.

It would appear that we can't do both, and given most have been brought up in the boom/bust culture (my earlier point about consistency!) it's hard to square that circle.  my personal belief is that we are on the right track and, at times, shrewd purchases will need to be made.

To go slightly off tangent, is the current dissatisfaction due to the style of play?  I mean, if we were playing crazy, attacking football, but ended up with same wins/losses/draws would that be more palatable?

Or is the style of play dictated by the depth, or lack of, within the squad, perhaps to protect some young players from being hung out to dry?

9 minutes ago, Boris said:

Good post, and I also agree with this.

Your point regards blooding youngsters, to give them the experience etc, is very good, and that's the crux I suppose.  Jam tomorrow as you put it.

It would appear that we can't do both, and given most have been brought up in the boom/bust culture (my earlier point about consistency!) it's hard to square that circle.  my personal belief is that we are on the right track and, at times, shrewd purchases will need to be made.

To go slightly off tangent, is the current dissatisfaction due to the style of play?  I mean, if we were playing crazy, attacking football, but ended up with same wins/losses/draws would that be more palatable?

Or is the style of play dictated by the depth, or lack of, within the squad, perhaps to protect some young players from being hung out to dry?

Bit of both, I think. Levein, Naismith and Austin have spoken about how desperate they are to see the young guys in the team playing attractive attacking football. I think it was telling to see how much better Clare played when he had academy graduates around him. Looked to me like he was brought through an academy that teaches them the same things as our one. The pass and move style was fantastic to watch, I thought.

14 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Is that an expectation or a wish???

Both. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Would be pleasant if the boo boys gave the new players, especially youngsters starting on their careers, time to settle in, instead of writing them off because they start nervously. 

2 minutes ago, Prof said:

Would be pleasant if the boo boys gave the new players, especially youngsters starting on their careers, time to settle in, instead of writing them off because they start nervously. 

Like Clare last season? I totally agree.

Inch Hearts

Like Clare last season? I totally agree.

Mulraney is a fine example of why people should be patient with the signings/team.  At the same time I won’t go overboard if the season starts well saying going to catch or keep pace with Celtic. 

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Mulraney is a fine example of why people should be patient with the signings/team.  At the same time I won’t go overboard if the season starts well saying going to catch or keep pace with Celtic. 

Mulraney had a strong start and end to last season. I have high hopes for him.

Morrison was given totally unwarranted negative criticism last season, too.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Inch Hearts

Mulraney had a strong start and end to last season. I have high hopes for him.

Morrison was given totally unwarranted negative criticism last season, too.

Totally agree.  Mulraney was written off big time early doors though, it didn’t help him playing out of position at left back at times.  I hope he’s spent his off time doing consistent crossing practice. 

Years ago I would look to get points of Rangers and Celtic whether that be wins or draws. Rangers, proper Rangers that is, had much better players back then but still I would expect a competitive game and a few points on the board. Our record against Rangers 2012 has been embarrassing so I don't think it's too much to expect a few points here and there, realistically. Unfortunately, Levein puts out a cautious team away from home, plays players out of their comfort zones and it's cost us plenty points. At Ibrox we lose goals usually within a few minutes, game over, while other smaller clubs give them a game, and gain a few points where we don't. Celtic won't be as consistent under Lennon, I would expect a few points here and there also. As for Hibs, depends on what money they get from their new owner but at the moment it would seem their manager is quite happy with his new signings. I think we'll struggle against them but still expect points here and there also. Against the rest, Levein needs to put out attack-minded teams away from home. We make it too easy for the home teams by not attacking enough and they gain control before the inevitable happens. Overall....I am probably expecting mid-table finish as I have since Neilson was there.

siegementality

If Levein thinks our current midfield is good enough then my expectations for the season are pretty low.

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I can’t help but feel this all sounds very familiar...... it all reminds me of how Tom Farmer ran H1b5.

Everything was amazing apart from the first team.

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I can’t help but feel this all sounds very familiar...... it all reminds me of how Tom Farmer ran H1b5.

Everything was amazing apart from the first team.

We dominated them in that period, but we were spending the sort of money that nowadays would cause us financial problems. We are past that era now. However, very soon, we will have more money than every other club outside of the Glasgow two. We will not suffer the ignominy of how shite Hibs were when building their infrastructure up.

28 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Years ago I would look to get points of Rangers and Celtic whether that be wins or draws. Rangers, proper Rangers that is, had much better players back then but still I would expect a competitive game and a few points on the board. Our record against Rangers 2012 has been embarrassing so I don't think it's too much to expect a few points here and there, realistically. Unfortunately, Levein puts out a cautious team away from home, plays players out of their comfort zones and it's cost us plenty points. At Ibrox we lose goals usually within a few minutes, game over, while other smaller clubs give them a game, and gain a few points where we don't. Celtic won't be as consistent under Lennon, I would expect a few points here and there also. As for Hibs, depends on what money they get from their new owner but at the moment it would seem their manager is quite happy with his new signings. I think we'll struggle against them but still expect points here and there also. Against the rest, Levein needs to put out attack-minded teams away from home. We make it too easy for the home teams by not attacking enough and they gain control before the inevitable happens. Overall....I am probably expecting mid-table finish as I have since Neilson was there.

Totally agree,

always hopeful away from home,

but Levein sets up far too negative.

Hope that changes this season,

but I doubt it...........we've no midfield.

Leveins Battalion

I expect 5th ot 6th and loads of booing at games.Unless the management get the finger out their arses and bring in some quality midfielders.😃

12 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

We will not suffer the ignominy of how shite Hibs were when building their infrastructure up.

I hope you are right. My fear is we have taken that eye of the ball and are not putting enough support into the first team.  

Just now, McCrae said:

I hope you are right. My fear is we have taken that eye of the ball and are not putting enough support into the first team.  

I personally have no fears about that whatsoever. The eye has been on things that will improve the first team, long-term, imo. Won’t need to do that as much soon, and even when we have been, we weren’t as far off the pace as Hibs were. 👍

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Totally agree.  Mulraney was written off big time early doors though, it didn’t help him playing out of position at left back at times.  I hope he’s spent his off time doing consistent crossing practice. 

His actual crossing technique is fine, the problem with him and Garuccio is that they don’t look up to see who’s in the box they just sling it in.

Dallas Green
6 hours ago, sam? said:

expectations should pretty much match investment celtic top, 2nd sevco, 3 dons, fourth hearts or hibs, killie 6th

My expectation is to match or invest more than aberdeen (should be a agiven with Hearts) to try and push for minimum 3rd every season. That 100,000 on cctv may just be the differnce between Hearts and Aberdeen. Prioritise funds please

That 100k wasn't taken out of a footballing budget.

So it won't make the slightest bit of difference to where we finish.

It will, however, make catching the utter bellends in our support easier. 

Strachsuit

League: Top 4 finish is an absolute must.

Cups: One SF and one QF would be acceptable but depends on the draw. Anything more, like last season, is a bonus.

On the whole, the above should be a fair reflection of what we should aim for every season.

Just now, Dallas Green said:

That 100k wasn't taken out of a footballing budget.

So it won't make the slightest bit of difference to where we finish.

It will, however, make catching the utter bellends in our support easier. 

out of thin air was it ? if your'e balancing budgets it will impact outgoings somewhere along the line i.e. if you didn't use it for that we would have an extra 100 grand in our profit margin.

So unless we have a CCTV benefactor it will impact budget if it wasnt costed and planned for its an additional spend (which it was intimated to be in report)

We arent in the sort of fianancial realms that have £100,000 lieing around; if it was already budgeted for I get your point but the CCTV story suggested at the time it was extra.

Stewards/Police doing their job without extra CCTV could probably solve the small minority problem we have.

Dallas Green
2 minutes ago, sam? said:

out of thin air was it ? if your'e balancing budgets it will impact outgoings somewhere along the line i.e. if you didn't use it for that we would have an extra 100 grand in our profit margin.

So unless we have a CCTV benefactor it will impact budget if it wasnt costed and planned for its an additional spend (which it was intimated to be in report)

We arent in the sort of fianancial realms that have £100,000 lieing around; if it was already budgeted for I get your point but the CCTV story suggested at the time it was extra.

Stewards/Police doing their job without extra CCTV could probably solve the small minority problem we have.

We have a seperate football budget. If we didn't spend that 100k on the CCTV it most likely would have been spent on something else infrastructure / stadium related.

If people weren't bellends at the game, we wouldn't have a need to pay for it. 

1 hour ago, siegementality said:

If Levein thinks our current midfield is good enough then my expectations for the season are pretty low.

Clare was in the media today announcing he was up for the physical battle in midfield so relax........    

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Clare was in the media today announcing he was up for the physical battle in midfield so relax........    

He couldnae tackle a bag o' chips tbh

2 hours ago, Prof said:

With the likes of Mulraney and Morrison it was obvious from day one that they had enough talent to suggest they would make it Hearts.

With Wighton, I’m sorry, but he is so lightweight and timid I cannot see him as being anything other that a waste of money.

49 minutes ago, Strachsuit said:

League: Top 4 finish is an absolute must.

Cups: One SF and one QF would be acceptable but depends on the draw. Anything more, like last season, is a bonus.

On the whole, the above should be a fair reflection of what we should aim for every season.

Is a bit of entertaining football too much to ask for?

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I personally have no fears about that whatsoever. The eye has been on things that will improve the first team, long-term, imo. Won’t need to do that as much soon, and even when we have been, we weren’t as far off the pace as Hibs were. 👍

Herein lies one of the problems with some. Hibs should never be a gauge for us. Levein is obsessed by them. They’re irrelevant to us at the minute. We should be concentrating on our first team. Our squad isn’t anywhere near strong enough just now. Since Levein and Budge sacked Gary Locke, Levein has been involved in every single player we have recruited/sold. His record is appalling. Our midfield has been weak for ages. Cochrane had a great 70 mins at Dens park and wasn’t seen again for months. Irving was nowhere near good enough when he was brought in on his first season. Been missing all of last season. Not their fault. They’re only boys. We need to strengthen in the middle of the park or we will be steamrolled there. I can’t see that happening because of his track record in the market. If we finish 5th, he’ll be delighted as it’ll be progress. His favourite word at the minute.  

Bull's-eye
13 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Herein lies one of the problems with some. Hibs should never be a gauge for us. Levein is obsessed by them. They’re irrelevant to us at the minute. We should be concentrating on our first team. Our squad isn’t anywhere near strong enough just now. Since Levein and Budge sacked Gary Locke, Levein has been involved in every single player we have recruited/sold. His record is appalling. Our midfield has been weak for ages. Cochrane had a great 70 mins at Dens park and wasn’t seen again for months. Irving was nowhere near good enough when he was brought in on his first season. Been missing all of last season. Not their fault. They’re only boys. We need to strengthen in the middle of the park or we will be steamrolled there. I can’t see that happening because of his track record in the market. If we finish 5th, he’ll be delighted as it’ll be progress. His favourite word at the minute.  

No words....

:rofl:

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, McCrae said:

But money being put into the first team has increased substantially year on year since admin. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Hercules said:

Of all the players to pick on you choose cochrane and irving? Some if our “fans” really don’t deserve any success.

2 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

No words....

:rofl:

Pardon me for being a pedant but I can see two of them right there.

I do however think the there should be some constructive criticism of the post you han "no words" to reply to 

Edited by 7628mm

DuncansDoughnuts

Until we concentrate on squad quality and less on depth of mediocre pool I expect no better or worse than last season. Very much depends on whether Killie go backwards. Aberdeen may be weaker but still stronger than us and despite what we all might wish the noisy neighbours have apparently recruited well and early for a change and have probably upgraded on Lennon's mess so I think at best we might get 5th and the cups are just a lottery

Edited by DuncansDoughnuts

Bull's-eye

6 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Pardon me for being a pedant but I can see two of them right there.

I do however think the there should be some constructive criticism of the post you han "no words" to reply to 

You're pardoned.

20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But money being put into the first team has increased substantially year on year since admin. 

Do you think we have an adequate first team squad?

Yes spending has gone up, but we are also spending a lot more in others areas that are not connected to the first team.  We could use that money to strengthen the squad.

On 08/07/2019 at 13:11, Boris said:

I get that, but historically, since 1983/84, more often than not we are outside the top 4.  Doesn't mean that should be accepted though, and I guess it's a perennial desire.

Consistency would be amazing, and exploiting that infrastructure etc would be great too.

Ironically, looking back at our record, our 200//03 and 2003/04 when we finished third both years was probably our most consistent.

In even the neutrals mind they align Hearts with top 3.  Historically the 3rd best league record and average.  15 times in the top 4 since 84 but most times when the dip came, we were still sniffing on the outside of the top 4. 

Other teams come and go, have a pop at top 3 and 4 but are never seen again for 7 or 8 years, maybe even a decade. (Depends who it is).  

As well as good facilities and management, I’d like to see a real passion to drive the team to better standards, use our history as a tool to get in players minds what we are about. 

I long for the day top 3 is almost second nature as top 2 is for Rangers and Celtic. We set a new standard for ourselves, get in Europe more and hopefully along the way , winning more trophies is a product of the new found standards embedded in the club. It’s a long way off but why have what we have if we don’t have aims and a proper passion for the team to be better?    

Edited by Debut 4

1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

You're pardoned.

Why thank  you and yet another two words when none were required. 😎

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Do you think we have an adequate first team squad?

Yes spending has gone up, but we are also spending a lot more in others areas that are not connected to the first team.  We could use that money to strengthen the squad.

I think we're getting there and are growing in a sustainable way. And without Neilson leaving when he did and the injuries last season, our on field results would have been considerably different, too.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, DuncansDoughnuts said:

Until we concentrate on squad quality and less on depth of mediocre pool I expect no better or worse than last season. Very much depends on whether Killie go backwards. Aberdeen may be weaker but still stronger than us and despite what we all might wish the noisy neighbours have apparently recruited well and early for a change and have probably upgraded on Lennon's mess so I think at best we might get 5th and the cups are just a lottery

Who's that then?

1 hour ago, DuncansDoughnuts said:

You are Hibs. Definitely. 

Joined a few days ago with a username that's very much in the vain of a nickname that the the .nutters have come up with recently for us and are trying their best to make it stick. 

Edited by jambogemz

merseyjambo
30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who's that then?

Heckinbottom is signing players from markets he knows very well. 

James was quite highly thought of with Championship clubs sniffing round him about 12 months ago. Having seen Doidge play, he has the ability to do well up here, so there’s 2 that I would say are decent in recruitment. McNulty has been told he can find another club so I suspect they may very well sniff round there as well.

Maybe you should watch lower league football in England. It’s amazing how many players you see then think, they’d do a job for us.

I suspect, depending on Killie, that we are more than likely going to be fighting them for 4th/5th.