***Official Glenavon v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

siegementality
4 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Not to bothered about pre season results but Craig will be judged in the cup.

I expect 3 wins no problem. 

If we struggle in the cup and opening games I don't think we can defend him much more.

We do rely on Naismith to much but really hope we kick on this season and put a fight on for 2nd or 3rd, 6th or behind Hibs is unacceptable 

I see us struggling tbh.

If Levein can’t see the fecking glaring lack of quality in midfield then I despair. The quicker he’s punted the better.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Aich E Eh

• rick witter

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alex Kintner
4 hours ago, mitch41 said:

If I was manager of Hearts.

Today i’d of been looking for players who are showing form, confidence, a good work ethic and will to win as i’d be wanting the players to force their way into the team on Friday. If I never noticed any players giving me these things i’d be wondering why they were at Hearts and why I signed them.

COOLSTORY.jpg

Madjambo21
1 hour ago, siegementality said:

I see us struggling tbh.

If Levein can’t see the fecking glaring lack of quality in midfield then I despair. The quicker he’s punted the better.

I worry about the lack of creativity in midfield.

Without Naismith we look very flat.

Really hope Claire can step up but I've not seen anything special about him.

Maybe with a season under the belt he will adapt and prove me wrong.

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Friday night is the real test. 

Friday night is a game we should win, no excuses, same goes for all the Cup group games.

Aberdeen and Celtic away in the league are what should be real tests.

If we are classing Dundee Utd at home in the league cup a real test then we really are in a worse place than I thought.

14 hours ago, bigdav said:

Very poorly. Halkett and White looked good. No invention from midfield. No urgency. Washington had no service. One shot on goal. Not counting the goal because that was a mis-hit. Not encouraging tbh.

Sounds like not much has changed from last season. Lot of players missing I suppose 

gowestjambo

Another season of mediocrity beckons unless we sign proper creative midfielders.

Maybe he cannot see the middle of the park, as the ball is either with the defence or punted forwards........

I don’t remember this much fuss over pre-season friendlies ever. What’s changed from previous years? There were always a few folk who got bent out of shape about them, but the majority realised they are little more than training exercises. 

jambopilms
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I don’t remember this much fuss over pre-season friendlies ever. What’s changed from previous years? There were always a few folk who got bent out of shape about them, but the majority realised they are little more than training exercises. 

More hibs interlopers than ever. Plus loads of  the I hate levein gang have been waiting a few weeks to get angry about something.

We either start the season well and everyone is happy or we don't and levein is in trouble.

But let's at least wait till the season has started before we moan about it .

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

We either start the season well and everyone is happy or we don't and levein is in trouble.

But let's at least wait till the season has started before we moan about it .

Exactly. That’s how it always used to be.

I think you are on to something with the Hibs thing too. Not necessarily Hibs interlopers, but the Levein oot brigade definitely use they same sticks to beat the club with. If you look at the pages and forums where there’s both Hearts and Hibs supporters, using them, and then compare them to Hearts forums, you find that the Levein oot crowd and the Hibs WUMs are virtually identical in what they post. Bizarre stuff. :lol:

William H. Bonney
20 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I think the concern is nothing appears to have changed from last season. Other than a striker no one really knows much about, an injury prone midfielder and a defender who hasn’t played in 2 years we’ve not really improved. 

Of course there is still time to get some real quality into the team but I certainly remain doubtful that will happen. 

A pessimistic approach I know and I sure hope I’m wrong. 

1 minute ago, Dino Velvet said:

I think the concern is nothing appears to have changed from last season. Other than a striker no one really knows much about, an injury prone midfielder and a defender who hasn’t played in 2 years we’ve not really improved. 

Of course there is still time to get some real quality into the team but I certainly remain doubtful that will happen. 

I just don’t think you can tell that much from pre-season friendlies though. Same with signings, often the ones you are most meh about go on to make the biggest impact whilst the John Suttons stink the place out.

William H. Bonney
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

I just don’t think you can tell that much from pre-season friendlies though. Same with signings, often the ones you are most meh about go on to make the biggest impact whilst the John Suttons stink the place out.

I certainly agree about the friendlies. I’ve never took them seriously.

Not every player hits the ground running like skacel did. Fulton for example was awful early doors for hearts. 

Until ive seen Washington and white in the flesh ill reserve judgment. 

I’m looking forward to Friday and hopefully a new centre midfielder as well. 

4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I certainly agree about the friendlies. I’ve never took them seriously.

Not every player hits the ground running like skacel did. Fulton for example was awful early doors for hearts. 

Until ive seen Washington and white in the flesh ill reserve judgment. 

I’m looking forward to Friday and hopefully a new centre midfielder as well. 

?

Trying to post a few pics from yesterday but it’s not allowing it. File too big and won’t upload even if I try to upload then singularly. 

Big thanks to the Danderhall bus for the lift back to Belfast (Royal Bar) from the ground yesterday. Wasn’t enough taxis about and couldn’t face the walk to the train station after copious beers. 

Thanks guys, I enjoyed the craic and the hospitality shown. SJ 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Friday night is a game we should win, no excuses, same goes for all the Cup group games.

Aberdeen and Celtic away in the league are what should be real tests.

If we are classing Dundee Utd at home in the league cup a real test then we really are in a worse place than I thought.

A tad negative imo. 

21 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Do the fans that were over - How was White? 

Okay. Tidy on the ball, very vocal, encouraging and keeping others right, didn’t look the most commanding in the air but picked one or two good passes. Wasn’t the most forceful or physical but as I’ve said elsewhere he might’ve been conscious it was a first run out and ultimately only a friendly. Across the park the opposition were far more up for it/physical and no more-so than in our wide areas where White and Moore then Edwards were out-battled.  

Wouldn’t want to be overly negative though as he did fine. Saw enough to suggest he could come good when the real games kick in 

3fingersreid
24 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Do the fans that were over - How was White? 

Can I take this a bit further , (not interested in the negatives) what were the positives from the game ? 

rick witter
15 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What depresses me is that we are going to see the same people arguing the same points after every win and defeat this season.

it is so mind numbingly, predictably tedious 

Like watching the team 

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I think it’s a continuation of the fans concerns over negative football and poor performances from last season.

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I think it’s a continuation of the fans concerns over negative football and poor performances from last season.

That would make sense if we don’t do well in the competitive games that follow. Training games though? Seriously?

KyleLafferty

You can tell NOTHING from pre season friendlies where it’s subs galore, you are running into the ground every day then having to play games. Pros don’t try 100%, players settling into teams, getting to know people. I’ll worry about it if we toil against Dundee United. I even forgot there was a game yesterday that’s how much I care about friendlies.

44 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can I take this a bit further , (not interested in the negatives) what were the positives from the game ? 

Positives

They were serving large doubles in the bar extremely cheap and there was a free BBQ.

Negatives 

Needless to say I watched the game but I was a bit foggy and not totally focused. 

Positives 

From what I recall, Washington looked busy and did well from the little service he received. We'll be fine when the business end starts imo.  Aidy White, if he fully recovers, will be a tremendous acquisition for The Famous 

rick witter
8 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

But you don’t watch them 

Yes I do. Every week when the season is on. 

rick witter
15 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Positives

They were serving large doubles in the bar extremely cheap and there was a free BBQ.

Negatives 

Needless to say I watched the game but I was a bit foggy and not totally focused. 

Positives 

From what I recall, Washington looked busy and did well from the little service he received. We'll be fine when the business end starts imo.  Aidy White, if he fully recovers, will be a tremendous acquisition for The Famous 

We will be fine yeah. What gives you that impression. You have just stated that the strikers received no service as usual. Will we just magically turn it on next week??? 

The midfield yesterday had no walker, Haring or Naismith. Yesterday was still an experiment. That’s why it’s called A FRIENDLY. People losing their 5h1t I’ve r a game that was arranged as part of the Burns deal. It was to boost the coffers of Glenavon. The result meant nothing.

All your posts are trumpeting negativity. I wonder if you’ll ever put any positive spin on the team/club/manager/chairman? 

Don't reply as I know the answer already! 

132goals1958
9 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We will be fine yeah. What gives you that impression. You have just stated that the strikers received no service as usual. Will we just magically turn it on next week??? 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

A tad negative imo. 

Are you trying to say we should not be expecting to win the Cup games?

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Anyway, I'm suitably reassured that AB has the cojones to pull the trigger.

Before the year is out. ?

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Are you trying to say we should not be expecting to win the Cup games?

Not at all but every game is a hurdle to get over regardless of how good you are compared to the opposition. 

They’ll be no Haring, Walker or Naismith on Fri so will tough to break them down. Hearts have ignored creative, proven, playmaking midfielders for the last five years it seems and here we are again starting the season light. Disappointing but not in the least surprising. 

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Gavman81 said:

They’ll be no Haring, Walker or Naismith on Fri so will tough to break them down. Hearts have ignored creative, proven, playmaking midfielders for the last five years it seems and here we are again starting the season light. Disappointing but not in the least surprising. 

Walker will be playing on Friday. 

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

Another season of mediocrity beckons unless we sign proper creative midfielders.

Maybe he cannot see the middle of the park, as the ball is either with the defence or punted forwards........

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/sean-clare-s-future-in-central-midfield-says-hearts-boss-craig-levein-1-4960649

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hopefully - not good that Levein has said he’s still a bit behind and had to withdraw from team yesterday. 

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Positives

Negatives 

Positives 

Hope the heads not too sore ??

Enjoy your trip ??

16 hours ago, jambonian said:

Don't think is a "losing" mentality at the club, more of a "that's good enough, club saved, we are satisfied" mentality. That's the general feeling I get from the club.

16 hours ago, jake said:

Not from the support.

In the dressing room.

Winning and losing can become habitual.

And that needs managed.

I agree to an extent. Winning and losing CAN become habitual. There seems to be an acceptance of mid-table-ness! The players need to shape up and find that winning mentality.

The comment about the support...there are some fans that appear satisfied with the way things are going and have adopted the same attitude as the players, "ach, well, everything's okay" or at least it feels like that at times. But we need to start seeing progression, something that's been said now for the last three years. This is a big season for everyone, players and fans alike and the fans will respond if the players get in aboot it. If they carry on playing anything like the last three seasons, mostly crap with the occasional good result thrown in for the acceptance brigade then big changes need to be made one way or another.

22 hours ago, Aich E Eh said:

Pars 1-0 up against Hibs :)

22 hours ago, LondonJambo1985 said:

Hibs 1-0 down to Dunfermline 

goalkeeper error! 

22 hours ago, the_jailer said:

2:0

Announcing their current result reeks of the levels that lot go to, bollocks to Hibs and bollocks to obsessing about them.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am hugely sceptical about this, to say the least. 

Well, we've lost out on Bryson and will probably lose out on others as players get snapped up. We'll likely have to work with what we've got yet again and without addressing the situation in hand.

the_jailer
12 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Announcing their current result reeks of the levels that lot go to, bollocks to Hibs and bollocks to obsessing about them.

I was talking about our score not Hibs 

Mr Elwood P
24 minutes ago, Gavman81 said:

Hopefully - not good that Levein has said he’s still a bit behind and had to withdraw from team yesterday. 

He had to withdraw because he had a knock. We've got Walker, Mulraney, Washington, Uche and Clare for Friday. Plenty of attacking options in there.

Tasavallan
34 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not as a trialist, he won't.

6 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Did we not also sign Craig Halkett?