Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Aich E Eh

• rick witter

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can I take this a bit further , (not interested in the negatives) what were the positives from the game ? 

Halkett, strength, dominance in the air and capable with ball at his feet. Looked like he’d settled in already. Mulraney appears to be growing in confidence, didn’t see a lot of the ball but when he did he looked to take on men and get into the box. Souttar hasn’t lost any of his ability over close season and didn’t play like a man affected by speculation. Also appeared more vocal yesterday. Washington appears for more mobile than Uche offering runs along the line constantly. 

Highlight of the two games in Ireland was the wee spell toward end of the Shelbourne game when aside from Berra and Clare we were virtually all academy boys. Admittedly against a level below but the pass and move, attacking football and flair was great to see. 

Alex Kintner
48 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Halkett, strength, dominance in the air and capable with ball at his feet. Looked like he’d settled in already. Mulraney appears to be growing in confidence, didn’t see a lot of the ball but when he did he looked to take on men and get into the box. Souttar hasn’t lost any of his ability over close season and didn’t play like a man affected by speculation. Also appeared more vocal yesterday. Washington appears for more mobile than Uche offering runs along the line constantly. 

Highlight of the two games in Ireland was the wee spell toward end of the Shelbourne game when aside from Berra and Clare we were virtually all academy boys. Admittedly against a level below but the pass and move, attacking football and flair was great to see. 

Our academy prospects are being drilled daily in hoofball tactics so this must be fake.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, cocobeab said:

????

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, cocobeab said:

On the last bit, its clear this is what Levein wants the style to be, he often talks about how he cant wait for a season or two time when these players are becoming the norm in the team. There is some debate over the style now and why is he not trying to bring that in at the momment, but from all the academy graduates I have seen since the 2017 intake (Cochrane, McDonald etc) they seem to have a great technique mixed with a intelligent reading of the game. The crucial bit is we are able to develop them into regular first team players but it looks promising. The club just needs to ensure that this future becomes the present and not always something just out of reach, always going to happen in the next few years but never arrive.

23 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Any comments or quotes from Levein after the match?

He was too busy with his head in a Spanish phrasebook. I've no idea why. ;)

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

He was too busy with his head in a Spanish phrasebook. I've no idea why. ;)

I can't believe you have got away with that comment without being challenged "Source":whistling:

Would you like to enlighten us more or is it just a throw away comment?

13 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Walker will be playing on Friday. 

As long as he makes it through the warm up unscathed :)

5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

On the last bit, its clear this is what Levein wants the style to be, he often talks about how he cant wait for a season or two time when these players are becoming the norm in the team. There is some debate over the style now and why is he not trying to bring that in at the momment, but from all the academy graduates I have seen since the 2017 intake (Cochrane, McDonald etc) they seem to have a great technique mixed with a intelligent reading of the game. The crucial bit is we are able to develop them into regular first team players but it looks promising. The club just needs to ensure that this future becomes the present and not always something just out of reach, always going to happen in the next few years but never arrive.

I agree with you about the youngsters, they all seem to have very good technique, are comfortable on the ball under pressure and look to move the ball about quickly.  They may not all manage to make it in the first team, but some will hopefully go on to play at a higher level and earn us a few quid.  It would certainly be good if we reached a point where we were seeing 2 or 3 academy graduates establishing themselves in the first team every season.  

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

4 hours ago, RobNox said:

I agree with you about the youngsters, they all seem to have very good technique, are comfortable on the ball under pressure and look to move the ball about quickly.  They may not all manage to make it in the first team, but some will hopefully go on to play at a higher level and earn us a few quid.  It would certainly be good if we reached a point where we were seeing 2 or 3 academy graduates establishing themselves in the first team every season.  

The final league game v Celtic was heartening on that score, imo. You could see the way the young lads pass and move, and I found that pretty encouraging. Sean Clare plugged in to it well too, and he immediately looked more comfortable with those sorts of players around him.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Berra seems the only one incapable of it. 

Halkett & Souttar are more than capable of passing & dribbling out from the back. Assuming Souttar doesn't leave this summer, Berra needs to adapt, or he'll maybe have to be minding his starting place. It's soul-destroying at times.

Might be a bit more mobile after his injury issues last season. Sometimes it’s the best option to just clear it , but hopefully see a bit more control and composure next season. Souttar looks good playing it out of defence most of the time, but he has been known to get robbed when doing it too.

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

That's all he did. "Clear it" to Uche up on his own.

Has to be a change in mind-set this year. If we don't replace Lee & Djoum adequately, that won't help that either. 

Might as well not bother having Mulraney, Walker, Naismith & Co. on the pitch. 

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. 

As a defender Berra is very good even if he has shaded a bit since his injury and it is good to have someone so authoritative at the back particularly with his aerial ability.  His distribution is not the best but I'd rather have that than someone fannying about at the back and losing the ball in a key area.

I have been watching pre season friendlies for 40+ years.  Lost count of the number of times we have a good pre season followed by a bad start and a bad pre season followed by a good start.  Pointless getting all frothed up over a defeat or over excited by a win.  

30 minutes ago, Barack said:

That's all he did. "Clear it" to Uche up on his own.

Has to be a change in mind-set this year. If we don't replace Lee & Djoum adequately, that won't help that either. 

Might as well not bother having Mulraney, Walker, Naismith & Co. on the pitch. 

Just get him to adjust the crosshairs a bit and start hitting Jake with these long balls. Get the PR department on it and call it ‘The Trebuchet’ (nice and French), and make out it’s a tribute to the 1998 Cup Final goal by Rousset and Adam? Hibs employed their own version using Hanlon and Boyle for about two years, and apparently they were playing flair football. ?

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Saying nothing against his defensive capabilities. That's a given. 

Some ball retention would be nice this year. From the team as a whole. It's fine shelling it away from danger when appropriate, of course it is. When it's coming back at you within 10 seconds though, as Uche or whoever is up there can't retain the ball. It gets wearisome. As fans, & for anyone playing in our midfield.

"Clare was shite. Never got involved."

"Wighton was shite. Never got near the baw."

"Djoum was shite. Hid from the baw."

"Morrison did nothing'."

They couldn't half of the time, as by design, or instructions, it was being bypassed. And giving Uche more work than he needed to do. 

I appreciate what you're saying but it is a team game.  One could argue that if Clare, Wighton , Djoum and Morrison were doing their job properly the ball would not be near Berra so often.  The first requirement of a defender is to defend and he does that admirably.  Maybe we could get someone else a bit more cultured but who can't defend so well.  A defender who can do both well and hit the ground running, would cost a fortune.  Although we got Souttar for a reasonable fee, it took him some time to adjust!

We do not yet know how things are going to pan out in central defence with the arrival of Halkett but as things stand, which pairing would you prefer?

Souttar and Dikamona

Souttar and Petkov

Dikamona and Petkov

Souttar and A N Other (name please)

Maybe we'll see Halkett and Souttar tonight.

132goals1958
28 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I have been watching pre season friendlies for 40+ years.  Lost count of the number of times we have a good pre season followed by a bad start and a bad pre season followed by a good start.  Pointless getting all frothed up over a defeat or over excited by a win.  

Agree. The most important aspect of pre season games is avoiding injuries before the real thing 

ArcticJambo
57 minutes ago, Barack said:

Saying nothing against his defensive capabilities. That's a given. 

Some ball retention would be nice this year. From the team as a whole. It's fine shelling it away from danger when appropriate, of course it is. When it's coming back at you within 10 seconds though, as Uche or whoever is up there can't retain the ball. It gets wearisome. As fans, & for anyone playing in our midfield.

"Clare was shite. Never got involved."

"Wighton was shite. Never got near the baw."

"Djoum was shite. Hid from the baw."

"Morrison did nothing'."

They couldn't half of the time, as by design, or instructions, it was being bypassed. And giving Uche more work than he needed to do. 

Every successful team these days has CBs who can bring the ball forward/are capable of playing as inevitably both full/wing backs are relatively well marked.  If we don't have any real movement up front (Uche wasn't that player but hopefully Grover, can we call him so, will be) or dropping in between the lines (from Nov onwards when Naismith got injured; Walker should be able to do this) combined with Mids that can turn a man and drive into the space created by the aforementioned then we'll have plenty more days like the Kilie match at the end of the season.  Berra with nowhere to go but sail it over the winger's head into the stands. 

Was interesting  to see Cochrane play a Busquets-type role for a half at Arbroath but maybe that was in Haring's absence.  Problem was that Arbroath were sitting fairly deep and Connor Smith just ahead of him had a bit of a 'mare.

I'm not sure what the answer is short of cloning de Jong out at Roslin.  I see us being better against the OF/Aberdeen but vs the rest they'll sit in and frustrate us; it won't be pretty!  That might get us third at best and well, everybody will be 'happy' and we'll be into another five year cycle.  :thumbsup:

Edited by ArcticJambo

So that's two defensive midfielders with Halkett in besides Haring at home to Hamilton, your funny Barack

Am not convinced he is that great but beggars can't be choosers, I hope he is good enough but will only get a game in back 5 or as a replacement coz soapy/ Berra injured, initially in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Might be a bit more mobile after his injury issues last season. Sometimes it’s the best option to just clear it , but hopefully see a bit more control and composure next season. Souttar looks good playing it out of defence most of the time, but he has been known to get robbed when doing it too.

This illustrates the principal issue we have just now, problems with transition. Souttar should be brave enough to carry the ball but then he should have players making themselves available for a short 10/15 yard pass when he has it. Good transition requires players to take risks, it can end up with someone losing the ball in a dangerous position but there is much more chance of opening up teams. It requires intensive coaching though, a lot of work before you begin to be comfortable with it.

On Berra in particular, teams just let us laterally shift the ball until it gets to him then allow him to pass it. You wouldn't need to know much about football to see that.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Exactly, 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

If there was any chance of them being together for a longer period, then Halkett & Souttar for me. Halkett will be up there for our POTY nominations this season and SPFL POTY potentially, imo. He's that good.

As it is, the best partnership is going to be Berra & Halkett when Souttar goes. I've said it previously, but until such time as Souttar leaves, Halkett can easily fit in beside Haring. He's played there before, can tackle, run, pass & score goals. It's a no-brainer for me. And daft to have someone of his talent sat on the bench, when he offers more at present in an all round capacity to Berra. As much as I'm a fan of his.

It hasn't been tried yet but you might be right (I said as things stand).  Even if it works out and then Souttar goes, the first thing you are going to do is bring Berra back.  If he's all that bad, why?

I do agree Haring and Halkett in MF is worth a try.  For natural defenders they do seem to have sufficient ability to be effective in more forward positions as well.  I'm not suggesting such a partnership should be the norm for every game as there are too many variables eg it depends on who we are playing, whether at home or away,  plastic pitch or not,  etc etc

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Fair enough but it's not great to be getting outplayed by teams like Glenavon when all our big guns are on the pitch. We had 2 shots at goal in the 90m & Glenavon totally deserved the win. 

Friday's game will tell us more about where we are but I can't say I'm overly enthused by what I've seen so far. 

On a positive note, the sun was shining & the way Glenavon looked after us all was outstanding, including a BBQ in the car park after the game. 

A great wee club! 

13 hours ago, 2205ian said:

I can't believe you have got away with that comment without being challenged "Source":whistling:

Would you like to enlighten us more or is it just a throw away comment?

mwmdvd101.jpg

maroonlegions
On 06/07/2019 at 14:40, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:laugh:

Cue another meltdown from the usual crowd!

And cue you loving every minute of Jambos being pissed off losing or getting beat by SHITE.

:muggy:

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
19 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Any comments or quotes from Levein after the match?

"Eh, mmmm, well, maybe and same old shite as last season".

Or.

"They did well, every time we had the opportunity to shite it when in  possession and blooter the baw up tae the  NEW big man, they stopped it".But let's not get too carried away at loosing to shite, its was a pre season friendly".

:greggy:

Edited by maroonlegions

On 07/07/2019 at 13:57, the_jailer said:

I was talking about our score not Hibs 

I somehow quoted you in error, wholeheartedly apologies ?