• Nookie Bear

• JamboAl

• Peebo

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Taffin said:

Yeh I think that's a better way of looking at it. If plan A isn't on, plan B seems to take too long to come to him.

He undoubtedly a tidy player and he's capable of being a really good one for us. I also feel he's either not putting enough effort into games, or if he is, he's not putting it in at training because he seems to grind to a walking pace at times in games.

I'd prefer him to stay and kick on next year than leave now, but it will require a bit of work on his part and if he's unhappy here it might be best for everyone to let him move on.

Your first paragraph was a Bit like us in general last season! 

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

So has he been told to leave, or is he asking to leave?

Or is it just "Dave in the pub said"?

I never said a word. ?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, salvo69 said:

I always get caught trying to find a killer pass and always blame other players for not making the right move when in fact it’s because I am shite ?

Have you scored 6 goals, assisted in 12 for your team this season and helped your team to it's first final in 6 years and also scored a left foot pinger that won the game away to your city rivals, your teams first win there in 5 years? 

Did you also move leagues and country and it was your first season? 

If yes, your sarcasm may have a point. 

If not, you're probably like me, not a pro player and are shite at football. 

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

In my days standing in the school end it was Graham Shaw.  The worst abuse I recall was for Laryea Kingston.

Aye he didn’t half take some stick too bud

grumpy rebus
2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

In my days standing in the school end it was Graham Shaw.  The worst abuse I recall was for Laryea Kingston.

Now he was slow. Kingston on the other hand was a lazy f*cker 

4 hours ago, siegementality said:

If the team was shit every week I’d suggest it says more about the manager rather than a player who wasn’t even in the shit team.

Lee’s number goals and assists last season were better than every other Hearts midfielder. Just coincidence that when he went out the team we couldn’t score then?

So a League 1 player doesn’t even warrant a season to get used to the playing in a different league at a higer level? Or is it just Lee but we’ll cut slack to Sean ‘Dele Alli’ Clare?

I'm not saying Lee is a great player, but he produced a lot more for the team than most last season and doesn’t deserve the slating he gets on here. 

We're on the same page as regards the manager, imo we should have replaced him after the cup final. 

My take on Lee is he's not a starter the way our team is set up and he does fall out of games. Made the point on another thread that he scored vital goals in the Dunfermline and Motherwell league cup wins and "that" goal against the vermin so he has clearly contributed. Assists are principally due to him being on the vast majority of set pieces (even then his delivery is not brilliant and he takes ages on each one). 

3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

might be the best option for both sides. Disappointed for him going as much as how he and his Dad defended us when he signed and people down south were going mental about Scottish football. Him going after a year will just give those idiots further ammunition.

Struggling to see how this would back up anyone who’d slagged off Scottish football in the context of his move?!? 

Edited by Peebo

From what’s being said on here, sounds like this may have as much to do with the player and his family being unsettled as anything else. If that is the case, cheers Olly, you certainly had your moments and you go with my best wishes. I wouldn’t be too concerned about replacing him though.

3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Graham Shaw, my first ever football hero. I’m sure that’s when I decided I wanted to follow the famous and he was the first footballer I ever knew by sight. 

My dad was his dad’s  (Len Shaw) pal. They lived in Kingsknowe Court and we were in the Place. I was a wee boy back then when Graham was plying his trade with the famous. Always remembering it was the first time that I’d seen anyone have a bar in their livingroom. My dad would go and see Len and he’d get behind his wee bar and pour a couple of pints of McEwan’s  Export. I stood in awe at this especially when given a glass bottle of coke. I remember jumping up and down when Graham scored our only goal in the 76 cup final and  not quite taking in the fact we were getting pumped 3-1. My dad who was a Hun totally ruining my celebration at the time. 

Edited by Saughton Jambo

kingantti1874
36 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Imagine living in Edinburgh and being homesick for Luton.

Probably didn’t realise he was moving to land of permanent cloud.. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, Paul Shark said:

No it won't, it'll do the exact opposite. Lee isn't good enough to play for Hearts and would really struggle to get anywhere near the team next season. The bottom 2 leagues in England are utter pish, quality wise and Lee's failure to make an impact at Hearts proves it.

couldn't disagree more. As someone on fb commented, it's CL' style of play (hoofball to the big guy) and constant changing formation that messed things up for Ollie. CL can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

19 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

couldn't disagree more. As someone on fb commented, it's CL' style of play (hoofball to the big guy) and constant changing formation that messed things up for Ollie. CL can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

Lee is nowhere near quick enough to play against the top scottish teams. It has nothing to do with the style of play we employ. 

Horatio Caine
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sad that things haven't worked out for Olly. I liked him as a player and when he started the season so well I thought we had a top class player in our hands. 

Some of the abuse he has received is an absolute disgrace, probably from those who have achieved bugger all themselves but feel the need to vent. If only the shoe was on the other foot. 

Anyway, good luck Olly, wherever you end up.

Well said Jonno.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Yes, a player from the bottom two leagues in England has never been a success anywhere ‘higher’. 

Is that sarcasm ? The general standard of the bottom leagues in England is pretty poor. Off course there will be some good players that could play at a higher level. Olly Lee just wasn't one of them ?

SpruceBringsteen

Hopefully we've still got the receipt. Luton and their fans sold us an absolute pup.

Byyy The Light
32 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Nonsense. He’s half a yard short to react to 2nd balls, he’s caught in possession or sees passes a second or two too slowly and we miss opportunities as a result.

He’s got decent ability but lacks being able to do it at pace that you need at this level. Certainly to take us to the next level.

Don’t dislike the guy, I wish him all the best. 

Edited by Byyy The Light

Cruyff Turn

Lee was signed as a key player and just hasn’t done the business for us. Levein has obviously told him he isn’t going to be first choice, hence why he’s lost the number 8 jersey and at times he was only playing Lee out of necessity but clearly doesn’t rate him either as he was continuously hooked or dropped.

I wish him all the best, certainly not the worst. His set pieces were decent but I think that was more to do with the fact the guys on the end of them had been working continuously on them in training.

Now we need to sign a top notch midfielder to replace Djoum & Lee. We cannot risk having a midfield injury crisis this season. If we lose Haring, we’d be a bit powderpuff. 

34 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sad that things haven't worked out for Olly. I liked him as a player and when he started the season so well I thought we had a top class player in our hands. 

Some of the abuse he has received is an absolute disgrace, probably from those who have achieved bugger all themselves but feel the need to vent. If only the shoe was on the other foot. 

Anyway, good luck Olly, wherever you end up.

Lots of the abuse on here is disheartening.  Some even criticise AB.

Your thoughtful analysis of Hibernian and their supporters at times sets an admirable standard.  Fair and balanced.

I love it.

rick witter

Mutual Termination of contract. 

Job Done. 

Move on to try and get someone who is actually good enough and wants to be here. 

I'd hope we'd try and get a fee for him, he's far from the worst to have graced our turf. No reason why a team down south wouldn't be prepared to chuck a couple hundred grand on him. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Struggling to see how this would back up anyone who’d slagged off Scottish football in the context of his move?!? 

Yup me too. If he had come up and pissed the league by scoring 40 goals then you could slate our game but he's struggled to impose himself more often than not. Says more about him than the state of our game??!

Inch Hearts
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'd hope we'd try and get a fee for him, he's far from the worst to have graced our turf. No reason why a team down south wouldn't be prepared to chuck a couple hundred grand on him. 

No chance.  The best can look for is hoping the player gets a good deal somewhere else so there’s no payoff of significant value.  

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

No chance.  The best can look for is hoping the player gets a good deal somewhere else so there’s no payoff of significant value.  

****ing Bosman...

NaturalOrder74

Over the season didn’t do enough for me, was buzzing with him getting the winner on the ‘new year’ derby but other than that feel like this was cancelled out with far too many poor performances, think we could do better 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Job Done. 

Move on to try and get someone who is actually good enough and wants to be here. 

Can't miss this rare opportunity to agree 100%  :)

Cruyff Turn
22 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Job Done. 

If no one is willing to pay money then this is what will happen. If Olly wants to go and we’re happy to let him, then it won’t cost us anything and we’ve got a wage off the books. Lee will be too end of the wage structure as well, as will Djoum. So we should have plenty spare to bring in at least 1 top midfield player.

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If no one is willing to pay money then this is what will happen. If Olly wants to go and we’re happy to let him, then it won’t cost us anything and we’ve got a wage off the books. Lee will be too end of the wage structure as well, as will Djoum. So we should have plenty spare to bring in at least 1 top midfield player.

It would really depend if the player wants to take a pay cut going to someone else.  I would expect a payoff to cover the difference to get the player off the books with 2 years left. 

rick witter
16 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If we get them both off the books then I would agree to combine that wage and get a real quality midfielder in. We desperately need to find someone who can control games and dictate the play for us for next season. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The problem with Lee was he arrived with a bit of a fanfare. If he had arrived and no one had heard of him or his old man for that matter then most would say he had a relatively good first season. However, he was overhyped and didn't show enough beyond his set pieces. We were looking to him to control games and that didn't materialise. I don't blame him and wish him luck in the future but he wasn't the quality player we expected by the noises coming from Luton last summer. 

Cruyff Turn
13 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

It would really depend if the player wants to take a pay cut going to someone else.  I would expect a payoff to cover the difference to get the player off the books with 2 years left. 

Lee will get the same wage he gets here in League 1 or the Championship.

If he doesn’t want to be here and isn’t happy sitting on the bench for the next 2 seasons then I think he’ll be happy to go for nothing when he’s found a new club. 

Obviously he isn’t going to leave until his wage has been replaced somewhere else but there’s no danger this will cost us anything. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, rick witter said:

If we get them both off the books then I would agree to combine that wage and get a real quality midfielder in. We desperately need to find someone who can control games and dictate the play for us for next season. 

2 in a row

:scenes:

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Agreed. 

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Lee will get the same wage he gets here in League 1 or the Championship.

If he doesn’t want to be here and isn’t happy sitting on the bench for the next 2 seasons then I think he’ll be happy to go for nothing when he’s found a new club. 

Obviously he isn’t going to leave until his wage has been replaced somewhere else but there’s no danger this will cost us anything. 

He isn’t going to be playing in the Championship, he came from L2 and has failed to cut it up here.   Saying that I hope you’re right. 

Nookie Bear
46 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Job Done. 

We would basically be pishing a 6-figure sum away. 

You would be the first to have a go at Budge if she let that happen. 

Its not as if Lee is that horrific. Maybe not as good as we hoped but he has made positive contributions so I’ve no idea why we would just let him walk away with a lump sum of cash in his hand, simply because his wife can’t settle here. 

(But, if we’re rich enough to rip up contracts, can we include Clare and McLean as well?)

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

And you (specifically you) trust Levein to do that??

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Inch Hearts said:

He isn’t going to be playing in the Championship, he came from L2 and has failed to cut it up here.   Saying that I hope you’re right. 

I don’t know about that. 

The English games a bit slower paced than it is here, which suits him. He’s not a bad player, he’s just not suited to Scottish football. 

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We would basically be pishing a 6-figure sum away. 

You would be the first to have a go at Budge if she let that happen. 

Its not as if Lee is that horrific. Maybe not as good as we hoped but he has made positive contributions so I’ve no idea why we would just let him walk away with a lump sum of cash in his hand, simply because his wife can’t settle here. 

(But, if we’re rich enough to rip up contracts, can we include Clare and McLean as well?)

If anyone was prepared to shell out 6 figures for Olly Lee then I'd have thought that they'd have come in for him last year when they could have signed him for free. His perceived value to a team in England is unlikely to have increased in the last year.

On 29/06/2019 at 17:41, MaskedMarauder said:

Sorry mate I meant Michael/Emma are due their 2nd child soon. So they’ll have their hands full with a newborn. 

I think we’ll let him go back down south. His brother and parents are down there too as are all his wife’s family. Hard thing to do, pack up and move to the other side of the country. Lonely life for a wife and a young son while he’s at training all day

Haha

John Findlay

If he is unhappy here and can't settle then best all round to let the laddie leave.

What's this nonsense about homesickness, footballers and their partners have it easy, they work about 4 hours a day, have a great network of social/support from club and other players, they're paid a whack so can travel whenever they wish.  Key detail is they have the choice within reason to where they want to move to.  To me it stinks of someone who knows they're out there depth and can't be bothered fighting for it.

10 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

What's this nonsense about homesickness, footballers and their partners have it easy, they work about 4 hours a day, have a great network of social/support from club and other players, they're paid a whack so can travel whenever they wish.  Key detail is they have the choice within reason to where they want to move to.  To me it stinks of someone who knows they're out there depth and can't be bothered fighting for it.

So they’ve a choice where they want to move to, but if they exercise that to be closer to home, that’s nonsense? 

siegementality
14 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Clueless.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

They should try doing 6 month deployments or 4 months tours of duties.

Used to make me laugh on these celebrity reality shows as well when I heard they were homesick. They could be away for a week from their loved ones.

Footballers have got it made in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They should try doing 6 month deployments or 4 months tours of duties.

Used to make me laugh on these celebrity reality shows as well when I heard they were homesick. They could be away for a week from their loved ones.

Footballers have got it made in comparison. 

Just because some people can cope with greater hardships or longer periods of absence from their families etc. does not mean everyone in well paid jobs and nice lifestyles will be immune from homesickness.