Olly Lee looking to leave ( updated )

MaskedMarauder

MaskedMarauder
30 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Lee played 38 games for Hearts last season scored 6 goals with 12 assists. In big games at Easter Road and Hampden vs Inverness he turned up and made an impact.

There is no chance a central midfielder with those numbers is being allowed to walk out the door for free with 2 years left on his deal - £500k is right if a team does fancy buying him. Otherwise he’s not leaving.

Everyone just ignores the fact that it was his first season here, almost always it takes a year or two for guys to get settled in their first year in Scotland. Lee had an OK first season at Hearts but there is room for improvement and definitely signs he can be more consistent.

£500k or whatever fee might be realistic but at the end of the day, if a player wants to leave due to personal reasons or whatever, then I’d like to think the club will be understanding as it has massively benefitted us with incoming players, eg Berra and Naismith. 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Peebo

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Tbh, he's a quick thinker, but I agree when he doesn't have an option he dwells on the ball and looks poor. 

However, when he has options he's very quick, sort of player who has his pass already completed but if the option goes or isn't there he gets caught. 

Imo he relys on the team nor than others. 

Like me as a young lad. 

Looked great some games with my first time passing, but when I had to dribble and keep the ball utter pants. 

Bozanic and Edwards should be moved on before him, but also depends on what he wants. Lee will want to play regularly, the other two seem pretty happy being in/out of the team. 

Also, I like Djoum, but  in a diamond 4 or part of a 5, Haring, Edwards, Lee and walker give us a better balance .

Yeh I think that's a better way of looking at it. If plan A isn't on, plan B seems to take too long to come to him.

He undoubtedly a tidy player and he's capable of being a really good one for us. I also feel he's either not putting enough effort into games, or if he is, he's not putting it in at training because he seems to grind to a walking pace at times in games.

I'd prefer him to stay and kick on next year than leave now, but it will require a bit of work on his part and if he's unhappy here it might be best for everyone to let him move on.

Olly contributed more than Sean Clare over the course of last season yet Clare some how gets an easier time. Place is ****ing mental at times.

There’s player in Olly Lee as proved at the of last season but we ended up being a mess with injuries and he’s not the only player that lost form.

i’d be happy to give him another season with better players around him and less injuries.

Gigolo-Aunt
34 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I didn't think Bowman got much stick.

He was still quite young when he left for Dundee Utd.

Hearts fans tend to be tougher on our own, Gary Mackay and Gary Locke as well.

I can't say I recall Olly Lee getting too much stick in fact some of the young team sing his name again and again and again ?

Bowman went to Coventry and then back up the road to Dundee United 

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

A_A wehatethehibs
20 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

£500k or whatever fee might be realistic but at the end of the day, if a player wants to leave due to personal reasons or whatever, then I’d like to think the club will be understanding as it has massively benefitted us with incoming players, eg Berra and Naismith. 

Berra was a free agent and Naismith was on loan and will be signing as a free agent. Walker has had an injury hit disaster so Wigan have released him.

Hearts have to get quality in for free or for low fees because we don’t have much money.

That’s does not mean we start contracted 40 game players go for free.

It may be that Lee wants to leave, fair enough, we’ll sell him. Obviously his move to Hearts was all about getting the platform for a championship move so it’s no surprise if he’s keen to go back south. 

We won’t be releasing him though, a 27 year old experienced English midfielder who can pass the ball and play a good set piece. Proven at Luton and Hearts, able to handle high pressure games - somewhere in the £500k region is a fair price. He’d be a decent buy at that price for a league 1 club or someone like Salford City trying to make their way upwards, but it all depends if a team wants him. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

The argument to that is a player who can play reliably and consistently in many positions but may not be 1st choice in any. Jambo soldier may become this "squad player"??

That's not Lee then. 

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

That's not Lee then. 

It certainly is not.

13 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Olly contributed more than Sean Clare over the course of last season yet Clare some how gets an easier time. Place is ****ing mental at times.

There’s player in Olly Lee as proved at the of last season but we ended up being a mess with injuries and he’s not the only player that lost form.

i’d be happy to give him another season with better players around him and less injuries.

I don’t think Clare gets an easy time at all. I think Olly gets an easier ride than he does. For what it’s worth, I think both could be an asset next season.

Monsieur Maroon
29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Berra was a free agent and Naismith was on loan and will be signing as a free agent. Walker has had an injury hit disaster so Wigan have released him.

Hearts have to get quality in for free or for low fees because we don’t have much money.

That’s does not mean we start contracted 40 game players go for free.

It may be that Lee wants to leave, fair enough, we’ll sell him. Obviously his move to Hearts was all about getting the platform for a championship move so it’s no surprise if he’s keen to go back south. 

We won’t be releasing him though, a 27 year old experienced English midfielder who can pass the ball and play a good set piece. Proven at Luton and Hearts, able to handle high pressure games - somewhere in the £500k region is a fair price. He’d be a decent buy at that price for a league 1 club or someone like Salford City trying to make their way upwards, but it all depends if a team wants him. 

Pretty sure Berra had a year on his deal and negotiated early release to be near his daughter.

Edited by Monsieur Maroon

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He certainly deserves as much of a chance as Clare. 

There is absolutely no question that his contribution last season was light years ahead of Clare. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Monsieur Maroon said:

Pretty sure Berra has a year on his deal and negotiated early release to be near his daughter.

No, Ipswich had a 1 year option on his contract but Mick McArthy never took the option because he respected Berra’s wishes to go home after 7 or 8 years excellent service 

Monsieur Maroon
8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

No, Ipswich had a 1 year option on his contract but Mick McArthy never took the option because he respected Berra’s wishes to go home after 7 or 8 years excellent service 

Ah that’s right, I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Perhaps if we can replace him with similar or better with a player who is willing to move to us on a free. 

Even £100k would help fund another player. 

Mulumbu and Gauld are available.

If we get rid of him now we could probably save more than £100k by not having to pay his wages.

siegementality
11 hours ago, Jodami said:

Yes, and he couldn't regularly get into a team that was shit every week for the best part of 5 months. Ending up not being selected in front of a guy who was sent out on loan for the first half of the season. Not exactly suggesting he is a key part of the team going forward. 

If the team was shit every week I’d suggest it says more about the manager rather than a player who wasn’t even in the shit team.

Lee’s number goals and assists last season were better than every other Hearts midfielder. Just coincidence that when he went out the team we couldn’t score then?

So a League 1 player doesn’t even warrant a season to get used to the playing in a different league at a higer level? Or is it just Lee but we’ll cut slack to Sean ‘Dele Alli’ Clare?

I'm not saying Lee is a great player, but he produced a lot more for the team than most last season and doesn’t deserve the slating he gets on here. 

siegementality
9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I would much prefer players in the team who don't fall to bits without Naismith in the side.

Well considering the whole team did we better start looking for more players!!

Lee suffered the same drop in form as everyone else. Can't judge anyone in that team at the end of the season as  they were all shit but we know they are not all shit players.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, MaskedMarauder said:

In regards to a fee for leaving, I’d presume if someone was that interested we’d just waive the fee and be happy to get his wages off our bill. Same as Wigan done with us and Jamie Walker. We didn’t pay any fee for him coming back, they just let him leave for nothing. 

You know that Jamie didn’t get anything from Wigan in settlement or is that just a guess?

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, siegementality said:

And a new Head Coach too !

When we were playing well, Lee was fantastic.

His link up play with Naismith early on in the season was great.

Did he have a good season? No.

Neither did 90% of our squad.

Despite having a bad season, he still got a decent number of goals/ assists.

I'd be disappointed if he left.

been here before
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Line!!! Only need 'kick on' for the full house.

Edited by been here before

letsalldothebeattie

At least it clears everything up. A good player on his day but done nothing since his derby winner in December

7 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Oh well. Shame it never worked out. Thought he might have been given next season to see if he could be an asset. All the best Olly, hope you get fixed up somewhere soon and make a real go of it.

If Djoum doesn’t re-sign, we are looking short in the midfield again though. 

Naismith , Lee and haring were fantastic at the start of the season. A lot of over the top nonsense towards our players (no surprise there) not the greatest and a long way from the worst.

22 minutes ago, been here before said:

Line!!! Only need 'kick on' for the full house.

Honking patter first time round.

Never mind it being repeated 3 times weekly.

:vrface:

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Given the fact Olly Lee is 28 and has played over 200 games and is classed as a senior pro, compared to Clare who has a grand total of 50 career appearances and is still only 22, then yes olly lee merits more criticism.  Sean Clare’s has the same number of goals this season as Lee and yet has been very harshly criticised for some reason. Truth is, Lee didn’t stand up when we needed him. And that’s why he’s not going to be missed that much if he leaves. I don’t personally want him to leave but won’t stand in his way 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Honking patter first time round.

Never mind it being repeated 3 times weekly.

:vrface:

Awww no, you dont like it?

Thats really, really concerning. Ill take it on board.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Too slow for Scotland. Get a decent fee and move on. Edwards and Bozanic out next for me. 

You don’t think Edwards frankly superb display in the cup final warrants another chance.. 

hmfc_liam06
49 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Smith, Souttar, Berra, Mulraney, Haring and Uche didn't. 

I believe those guys will still be our core this coming season along with Naismith.

MaskedMarauder
1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

It's pretty poor that any individual would reveal personal stuff like this on a fans forum.

Why is it pretty poor? If he was to come out and say he wanted away from Hearts he’d be accused of wanting more money or just simply packing it in. If personal reasons come into it then why shouldn’t it be revealed? The reasons behind were not a confidential when I was told last week about this happening. It was common knowledge amongst a lot of people. 

13 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

Why is it pretty poor? If he was to come out and say he wanted away from Hearts he’d be accused of wanting more money or just simply packing it in. If personal reasons come into it then why shouldn’t it be revealed? The reasons behind were not a confidential when I was told last week about this happening. It was common knowledge amongst a lot of people. 

Because it's none of your business.

Just because we are fans doesn't give us the right to "own" them.

chester copperpot

One of the best memories of last season was belting out his song at Motherwell miners club prior to the cup final with @cookieboy.

I think he has something about him and I like it. Thought he was pretty classy but didnt get up to speed quick enough. I honestly think he will be class this season. If he stays

*edit, is he away?

Edited by chester copperpot

Thought Olly was ok for us, def seemed to dip in form like most last season..

just wondering if hes he’s fallen out wae Levein or maybe just homesick now...

if he goes and Mulumbu comes in then won’t be to gutted.

18 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That’s our two starting centre midfielders needing replaced now. Big few weeks coming up. 

Absolutely.

Despite what’s been written at times on here, I fear replacing both is easier said than done.

We absolutely need to sign a first pick centre midfielder.

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He'll get a club in England no bother.

Will he get a club around the Luton area though? I can't see him going to Championship and Stevenage/MK Dons/Northampton/Cambridge are all in League Two. Not sure he wants to go back to that level.

siegementality
24 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Smith, Souttar, Berra, Mulraney, Haring and Uche didn't. 

I believe those guys will still be our core this coming season along with Naismith.

The whole team fell apart after Naismith injuries. A look at the results tells you that. 

Still, singling out one player is easier eh.

jamboinglasgow

might be the best option for both sides. Disappointed for him going as much as how he and his Dad defended us when he signed and people down south were going mental about Scottish football. Him going after a year will just give those idiots further ammunition.

chester copperpot
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

might be the best option for both sides. Disappointed for him going as much as how he and his Dad defended us when he signed and people down south were going mental about Scottish football. Him going after a year will just give those idiots further ammunition.

:spoton:

davemclaren

35 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

You would like your personal reasons for leaving a job to be made public?