Olly Lee looking to leave ( updated )

MaskedMarauder

grumpyespana
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We would allow him to move back to Luton for nothing?

That's a laugh allowing him to move for nothing, we are not skint now but come on guys we are not a charity either.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• JamboAl

• Peebo

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All roads lead to Gorgie

I expected more from him to be honest. He turned out to be very one paced and most of the games he played in seemed to largely pass him by. I would like to think he should get another season to prove himself but if he moves on then I'm not too bothered and it gives us a wage to spend elsewhere. 

Nookie Bear
13 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

That's a laugh allowing him to move for nothing, we are not skint now but come on guys we are not a charity either.

Precisely. 

We cant just discard players who are not setting the heather  alight. 

Nookie Bear
25 minutes ago, cruzabic said:

Absolutely in the grand scheme of things, I just think if a club was willing to let a player go that's usually the case that they'd go for nothing. Players are only worth as much as folk are willing to spend and can't see anyone spending anything on him.

I suppose we disagree on the basis that I don’t want him to leave. Certainly not until we have replaced him AND Djoum effectively. 

Byyy The Light
31 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Best midfielder in a 6th place team in Scotland!! 

Some player 

John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Stevie Mallan were in midfield when St Mirren got relegated so your point is utter pish. As usual. 

I actually think Lee is a decent player, with the correct players around him. I hope he stays and progresses from last season. 

Captain Canada

He can definitely play, but hasn't seemed to learn he won't get as much time on the ball as he'd like. 

He got a lot more assists than Djoum last season but if he's unhappy, then it's probably best he goes (hopefully we can get a half decent fee). 

If he does leave, it's just another guy who's been signed and discarded well before his contract was up. There's a growing list and it's becoming a bit ridiculous. We either need to improve our scouting or start handing out one year deals. 

Cruyff Turn

I wouldn’t say he was lazy and by no means a terrible player either.

He just isn’t good enough to play for Hearts as a first XI player. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

We would allow him to move back to Luton for nothing?

Why not?

We got him for nothing and if we have no further use for him, it makes sense for both the player and the club for someone else to take over his contract - and more so if he and/or his family have not settled here.  I'd guess something similar happened with Vanecek and possibly Walker coming this way.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

So Hearts fans now slate our best midfielder statistically last season

This place is full of piss flap merchants - know **** all about anything

absolutely true!

Captain America

He went back across the border, when he spoke to Craig Levien

Big Craig told him, " Olly, there's no place in my football team"

He's going back to tiny Luton, Cause he's shite at f&cking shooting*

He wasn't great at Hearts, but he still tore Hibs apart.

Lee, Olly, Olly Lee.

Updated song lyrics based on the rumours?

Any Luton fans looking in, if he signs for you, you can have that one for free.

* I don't actually think he is shite but fitted the song better.

Edited by Captain America

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Lee played brilliantly at the start of last season when the new team played the ball around. That was before CL started hauling him off and moving him around. Plus, when we defaulted to hoofball, humping the ball up over the midfield didn't exactly play to Lee's strengths. 

Nookie Bear
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Why not?

We got him for nothing and if we have no further use for him, it makes sense for both the player and the club for someone else to take over his contract - and more so if he and/or his family have not settled here.  I'd guess something similar happened with Vanecek and possibly Walker coming this way.

Walker never played and was clearly out the picture. Wigan were happy to cut their losses. Vanacek was a pre-contract. 

Lee played nearly every week. He is no Pirlo but he’s worth’s few quid and it would be a ridiculous move to let him go for nothing. 

Considering where Lee played for much of the season, Walker is probably a like-for-like replacement. Lee would go with my best wishes. Did OK for us, but unlikely to be a starter much next season. And if his wife wants back down south, a move seems likely, once he’s fit (unsure on timescales).

Lee is technically a decent footballer but lacks the athleticism of what is required from a modern midfielder. Good luck Olly on that back of that goal alone you leave with more abiding memories than 90% of players that depart. 

Deans Jambo
5 hours ago, MaskedMarauder said:

Sorry mate I meant Michael/Emma are due their 2nd child soon. So they’ll have their hands full with a newborn. 

I think we’ll let him go back down south. His brother and parents are down there too as are all his wife’s family. Hard thing to do, pack up and move to the other side of the country. Lonely life for a wife and a young son while he’s at training all day. 

Happy to go on the holidays to Dubai though. Footballers wife's get on my teets, why not get a job... part time one even and you'll get to meet people. Maybe make new friends. Take the boy to nursery or mother and toddlers and chat with other parents. Naw,  want to live in the perfect wee footballer's wife world. 

Just now, Deans Jambo said:

Happy to go on the holidays to Dubai though. Footballers wife's get on my teets, why not get a job... part time one even and you'll get to meet people. Maybe make new friends. Take the boy to nursery or mother and toddlers and chat with other parents. Naw,  want to live in the perfect wee footballer's wife world. 

Moving to another country for your partners job when you’ve got a little kid is very hard, regardless of what your partners job is. 

Nookie Bear

Who the **** has the opportunity to live a wealthy lifestyle in Edinburgh and is homesick for the bright lights of Luton? 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Who the **** has the opportunity to live a wealthy lifestyle in Edinburgh and is homesick for the bright lights of Luton? 

Someone who misses their home, family etc.?  I doubt we are paying players like Olly Lee THAT much. 

Nookie Bear
Just now, Peebo said:

Someone who misses their home, family etc.?  I doubt we are paying players like Olly Lee THAT much. 

Och I know, but surely she can suffer it for two more years while her husband pursued a lucrative career. And I imagine it is a 6-figure annual salary so that, to me, is wealthy. 

Deans Jambo
8 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Moving to another country for your partners job when you’ve got a little kid is very hard, regardless of what your partners job is. 

Kid in a creche and work some hours, integrate. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Och I know, but surely she can suffer it for two more years while her husband pursued a lucrative career. And I imagine it is a 6-figure annual salary so that, to me, is wealthy. 

Aye, probably into six figures (which is £2k a week) but probably not hugely more than he was previously on, or could command again. 

I speak as someone one who has taken a chunky pay cut to move back to my home country, and has a non-native wife and small kid and sees the homesickness from that side. Life ain’t all about money! 

4 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Kid in a creche and work some hours, integrate. 

My wife did that. Hated the job, majority of folk she worked with were ***** and the net financial benefit was basically zero. 

Its a a good idea, but in practice may make little positive difference. 

Edited by Peebo

siegementality
3 hours ago, Jodami said:

Some utter nonsense being talked here. Lee is not a whipping boy, gets nowhere near the negative reaction that Wighton and at times Maclean get from the crowd at Tynecastle. He is a player who is not suited to the way we play as he is too slow and for that reason it seems unlikely he is a first choice. This was evident in the manager's selections in the final months of the season. For that reason it would be better all round if he goes somewhere else so our younger midfielders get more first team opportunities. It's pretty straightforward. 

Remind me of our results in the final months of the season.

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Agree with that

I could have easily ended up in Pompey or Plymouth and that was with my job. I knew I wouldn't be happy living down there though and think I ended up breaking a lassie's heart. She was from Paulsgrove so might have had a narrow escape !

jamboinglasgow

thought he did well but when the team fell apart after October he disappeared. As many other players did I wont automatically say that he is not good enough. If he goes, fair enough, if he stays, fair enough. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Cygnet said:

I actually think Lee is a decent player, with the correct players around him. I hope he stays and progresses from last season. 

There are definitley 2 midfielders i would ship before him,  from last seasons eye bleeders.

11 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Remind me of our results in the final months of the season.

Yes, and he couldn't regularly get into a team that was shit every week for the best part of 5 months. Ending up not being selected in front of a guy who was sent out on loan for the first half of the season. Not exactly suggesting he is a key part of the team going forward. 

The Old Tolbooth
6 hours ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Great news.  Cheers mate

Absolutely agree with this, the boy is miles out of his depth and a waste of a Jersey! 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Walker never played and was clearly out the picture. Wigan were happy to cut their losses. Vanacek was a pre-contract. 

Lee played nearly every week. He is no Pirlo but he’s worth’s few quid and it would be a ridiculous move to let him go for nothing. 

It doesn't matter whether he played every week or not.  The issue is whether we have a place for him this season and if he's now deemed to be surplus to requirements, or he has personal difficulties, it makes sense all round to allow someone else to take over his contract.

I was talking about when Vanecek left us, not when he joined us and I was merely speculating anyhow.

queensferryjambo

I don't mind Olly Lee he is one of our midfielders who has a wee bit of creativity. His biggest problem is he drifts out of games for long spells in a match. 

Shame as I personally think he has a bit of talent but just couldn't channel it in the right direction. 

I actually hope he stays and possibly has a better second season now he is more used to the SPFL.

Tommy Brown
12 hours ago, Roman1874 said:

You must be one of they arsehole fans who hates any song that gets the crowds going. People like you will turn tynecastle into a library 

:rofl:

Get a ****ing life. The song is ****ing minging.

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

It doesn't matter whether he played every week or not.  The issue is whether we have a place for him this season and if he's now deemed to be surplus to requirements, or he has personal difficulties, it makes sense all round to allow someone else to take over his contract.

I was talking about when Vanecek left us, not when he joined us and I was merely speculating anyhow.

Perhaps if we can replace him with similar or better with a player who is willing to move to us on a free. 

Even £100k would help fund another player. 

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:rofl:

Get a ****ing life. The song is ****ing minging.

But it is a popular song, no denying it. 

I am sure it can can be changed if Lee leaves. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Taffin said:

Lee quite clearly has ability but for me he's very lazy on the pitch and his brain seems to be slow as well, always takes too long on the ball.

Tbh, he's a quick thinker, but I agree when he doesn't have an option he dwells on the ball and looks poor. 

However, when he has options he's very quick, sort of player who has his pass already completed but if the option goes or isn't there he gets caught. 

Imo he relys on the team nor than others. 

Like me as a young lad. 

Looked great some games with my first time passing, but when I had to dribble and keep the ball utter pants. 

Bozanic and Edwards should be moved on before him, but also depends on what he wants. Lee will want to play regularly, the other two seem pretty happy being in/out of the team. 

Also, I like Djoum, but  in a diamond 4 or part of a 5, Haring, Edwards, Lee and walker give us a better balance .

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Tbh, he's a quick thinker, but I agree when he doesn't have an option he dwells on the ball and looks poor. 

However, when he has options he's very quick, sort of player who has his pass already completed but if the option goes or isn't there he gets caught. 

Imo he relys on the team nor than others. 

Like me as a young lad. 

Looked great some games with my first time passing, but when I had to dribble and keep the ball utter pants. 

Bozanic and Edwards should be moved on before him, but also depends on what he wants. Lee will want to play regularly, the other two seem pretty happy being in/out of the team. 

Also, I like Djoum, but  in a diamond 4 or part of a 5, Haring, Edwards, Lee and walker give us a better balance .

Agreed. I think, like everyone else, he deserves the chance to redeem himself after last season. 

FWIW I just don't think he's quick enough. You can see he's committed but by the time he gets to where he wants to be the ball is away. Was much better when Naismith was in the team but who wasn't?

Good shot on him but not what's required in our midfield IMO

pettigrewsstylist
11 hours ago, Herbert said:

See that is why we never challenge for anything. Having players around as squad players is pish. Everyone in the team should be good enough for the starting 11.

The argument to that is a player who can play reliably and consistently in many positions but may not be 1st choice in any. Jambo soldier may become this "squad player"??

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

MaskedMarauder

In regards to a fee for leaving, I’d presume if someone was that interested we’d just waive the fee and be happy to get his wages off our bill. Same as Wigan done with us and Jamie Walker. We didn’t pay any fee for him coming back, they just let him leave for nothing. 

A_A wehatethehibs
13 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

In regards to a fee for leaving, I’d presume if someone was that interested we’d just waive the fee and be happy to get his wages off our bill. Same as Wigan done with us and Jamie Walker. We didn’t pay any fee for him coming back, they just let him leave for nothing. 

Lee played 38 games for Hearts last season scored 6 goals with 12 assists. In big games at Easter Road and Hampden vs Inverness he turned up and made an impact.

There is no chance a central midfielder with those numbers is being allowed to walk out the door for free with 2 years left on his deal - £500k is right if a team does fancy buying him. Otherwise he’s not leaving.

Everyone just ignores the fact that it was his first season here, almost always it takes a year or two for guys to get settled in their first year in Scotland. Lee had an OK first season at Hearts but there is room for improvement and definitely signs he can be more consistent.

12 hours ago, Deevers said:

They still got it tight from certain sections of our support. A bit like a comfort blanket for some.

I didn't think Bowman got much stick.

He was still quite young when he left for Dundee Utd.

Hearts fans tend to be tougher on our own, Gary Mackay and Gary Locke as well.

I can't say I recall Olly Lee getting too much stick in fact some of the young team sing his name again and again and again ?

pettigrewsstylist
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Lee played 38 games for Hearts last season scored 6 goals with 12 assists. In big games at Easter Road and Hampden vs Inverness he turned up and made an impact.

There is no chance a central midfielder with those numbers is being allowed to walk out the door for free with 2 years left on his deal - £500k is right if a team does fancy buying him. Otherwise he’s not leaving.

Everyone just ignores the fact that it was his first season here, almost always it takes a year or two for guys to get settled in their first year in Scotland. Lee had an OK first season at Hearts but there is room for improvement and definitely signs he can be more consistent.

He certainly deserves as much of a chance as Clare. 

Nookie Bear
19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Spot on. 

It would be gross negligence on the part of Budge and Levein to let him go for nothing. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I can't say I recall Olly Lee getting too much stick in fact some of the young team sing his name again and again and again ?

I recall Bowman getting a few groans etc. but not sure stick by modern day comparisons. I doubt he would have had any problems getting a game with our  current midfield standard.

6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I used to stand in the south enclosure at that time and believe me there was a cadre of folk there who used to give it tight to Bowman at the slightest error. The same folk did exactly the same with Kenny Black. It's always been a bit of a thing st Tynecastle - there has to be a whipping boy in the side to vent frustrations on.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

But it is a popular song, no denying it. 

I am sure it can can be changed if Lee leaves. 

Ok

Goodbye Olly Lee

You are not for me

Slower than Malouree

We want Laffertee

I'll get ma coat, but still 100% better than the current version

?

Edited by Tommy Brown

29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

100% THIS! ?