Olly Lee looking to leave ( updated )

MaskedMarauder

Read through most of this thread and there are a few similar points. Lee is creative but can get caught on the ball. Maybe down to his team-mates not moving about quick enough to accept a pass? Now that it's confirmed he's leaving I find it a bit disappointing. Not that I thought he was great but maybe with the signings of Washington and Walker and someone else probably, who's to say he wouldn't have been a very important player this coming season, a season where his passing and link up play with the new players might've suited his game better. It's now a big season for Edwards and Bozanic and even Cochrane so it's now up to them to fight it out for a midfield berth. One player leaving won't really be missed, especially if you've players that can come in and have the chance to prove themselves. Good luck for your future Olly.

Edited by jambonian

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Peebo

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

might be the best option for both sides. Disappointed for him going as much as how he and his Dad defended us when he signed and people down south were going mental about Scottish football. Him going after a year will just give those idiots further ammunition.

I thought though that anyone from England can make it in the shit tinpot league up here. 

I for one liked him but sometimes his deliveries from set pieces had me pulling my hair out. 

Didn’t help when lads like Cochrane, Connor smith and Irvine looked more comfortable on the ball and he didn’t. 

Wont lose sleep if he leaves. Got a lot of good players coming through. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Kylejordan said:

I thought though that anyone from England can make it in the shit tinpot league up here. 

I for one liked him but sometimes his deliveries from set pieces had me pulling my hair out. 

Didn’t help when lads like Cochrane, Connor smith and Irvine looked more comfortable on the ball and he didn’t. 

Wont lose sleep if he leaves. Got a lot of good players coming through. 

See that should be the take away, that he is good down in England but he misses the speed needed to make it up here but I have seen other players fail up here only to go down south and moan that its because Scottish football is crap, and people just believe that.

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, Deevers said:

I used to stand in the south enclosure at that time and believe me there was a cadre of folk there who used to give it tight to Bowman at the slightest error. The same folk did exactly the same with Kenny Black. It's always been a bit of a thing st Tynecastle - there has to be a whipping boy in the side to vent frustrations on.

The way I remember it too. Kenny Black took a hell of a load of stick. You’re spot on, there’s always been a whipping boy in the side.

Edited by It should have been ten

gashauskis9

Can we sign better - possibly

Should we let him walk for nothing - no

Would I like to see him here next season alongside a fit Haring and with more attacking options - absolutely

Regardless, he was a mainstay of the first team last season and ever present in the early season success and route to the league cup semi.  As someone mentioned above, he turned up in the big games but I reckon he was often off the pace when the tempo was lower against the weaker teams.  Always played better with Naismith in the team.

8 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Read through most of this thread and there are a few similar points. Lee is creative but can get caught on the ball. Maybe down to his team-mates not moving about quick enough to accept a pass? Now that it's confirmed he's leaving I find it a bit disappointing. Not that I thought he was great but maybe with the signings of Washington and Walker and someone else probably, who's to say he wouldn't have been a very important player this coming season, a season where his passing and link up play with the new players might've suited his game better. It's now a big season for Edwards and Bozanic and even Cochrane so it's now up to them to fight it out for a midfield berth. One player leaving won't really be missed, especially if you've players that can come in and have the chance to prove themselves. Good luck for your future Olly.

I always get caught trying to find a killer pass and always blame other players for not making the right move when in fact it’s because I am shite ?

CloustonHMFC
16 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Well we would expect another club to pay money for him. Every player has a price so it would depend on the offer 

At the moment, we do not have brilliant options in the middle. We would need to buy - especially if Djoum leaves. 

Did we pay money for Walker?

Difference being Wigan wanted shot of him but if Lee wants to leave then I don’t see the point in keeping and unhappy player and paying his wages. He’ll go for nothing or for a nominal fee, as long as we replace him with someone more suited to the Scottish game then I’m happy. 

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Will he get a club around the Luton area though? I can't see him going to Championship and Stevenage/MK Dons/Northampton/Cambridge are all in League Two. Not sure he wants to go back to that level.

MK Dons are League One so that might be a good move for him

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

See that should be the take away, that he is good down in England but he misses the speed needed to make it up here but I have seen other players fail up here only to go down south and moan that its because Scottish football is crap, and people just believe that.

Exactly that. I live near London and all I hear is Scottish football is crap, blah blah blah. It’s physical, fast paced and helps blood youngsters in. Compare it to the so called best league in the world that is actually pretty poor at times. Lee wouldn’t get anywhere near there. 

You do get time on the ball up here but only if you think quickly, are able move quickly and have a good first touch. I.e the academy lads coming through. They are thinking a lot quicker. 

3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Can we sign better - possibly

Should we let him walk for nothing - no

Would I like to see him here next season alongside a fit Haring and with more attacking options - absolutely

Regardless, he was a mainstay of the first team last season and ever present in the early season success and route to the league cup semi.  As someone mentioned above, he turned up in the big games but I reckon he was often off the pace when the tempo was lower against the weaker teams.  Always played better with Naismith in the team.

I'm sure we will get a fee - if someone makes a bid but knowing he is unsettled (assuming true) why would any club offer money when they they could probably get him for free?

He has been told he is surplus to requirements so  he is likely to spend most of the next 2 years of his contract on the bench if he is lucky.  If he's on say £3k per week we'll be paying out wages of around £300k for virtually no return.  Without even considering the "caring for your players" element, does that make economic sense?  And we got him for nothing so there's no transfer loss unless he got a massive signing-on fee.

13 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

I always get caught trying to find a killer pass and always blame other players for not making the right move when in fact it’s because I am shite ?

Maybe that's just you though. :whistling:

Edited by jambonian

13 hours ago, Deans Jambo said:

Happy to go on the holidays to Dubai though. Footballers wife's get on my teets, why not get a job... part time one even and you'll get to meet people. Maybe make new friends. Take the boy to nursery or mother and toddlers and chat with other parents. Naw,  want to live in the perfect wee footballer's wife world. 

That's what I was thinking as well.

In fact with the hours most footballers put in hubby will be home in the afternoons  anyway.

16 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

The way I remember it too. Kenny Black took a hell of a load of stick. You’re spot on, there’s always been a whipping boy in the side.

In my days standing in the school end it was Graham Shaw.  The worst abuse I recall was for Laryea Kingston.

20 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

You are Michael Stewart, and I claim my £1.

Edited by Tasavallan

49 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

One of the best memories of last season was belting out his song at Motherwell miners club prior to the cup final with @cookieboy.

I think he has something about him and I like it. Thought he was pretty classy but didnt get up to speed quick enough. I honestly think he will be class this season. If he stays

*edit, is he away?

???????

1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

Are you Michael Stewart?

He can't be, or he would have mentioned pointing as a key attribute.

5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

So has he been told to leave, or is he asking to leave?

Or is it just "Dave in the pub said"?

See link above.

7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

There's a quote/link on page four of this thread. It's along the lines of Lee and Levein have agreed he can move back down south if he finds a club but he's not being shown the door as such. Levein is leaving it up to him to find a club and won't stand in his way if he gets himself sorted.

Edited by jambonian

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

There's a quote on page four of this thread. It's along the lies of Lee and Levein have agreed he can move back down south if he finds a club but he's not being shown the door as such. Levein is leaving it up to him to find a club and won't stand in his way if he gets himself sorted.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

See link above.

Thanks

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Why does Dave always get the blame? ??‍♂️

I like Lee but he is replaceable. Hopefully Djoum signs on and Cochrane can step up. 

The latter needs to prove his fitness and body is ready for top flight football. 

Haringshairband
19 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

He can't be, or he would have mentioned pointing as a key attribute.

Beat me to it :lol:

gashauskis9
31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm sure we will get a fee - if someone makes a bid but knowing he is unsettled (assuming true) why would any club offer money when they they could probably get him for free?

He has been told he is surplus to requirements so  he is likely to spend most of the next 2 years of his contract on the bench if he is lucky.  If he's on say £3k per week we'll be paying out wages of around £300k for virtually no return.  Without even considering the "caring for your players" element, does that make economic sense?  And we got him for nothing so there's no transfer loss unless he got a massive signing-on fee.

The surplus to requirements bit worries me.  CM was one of our weakest areas last season and we are yet to strengthen, but if we lose Lee and Djoum (highly likely given that their numbers have gone) then the thought of being left with Haring plus another from Cochrane, Edwards and Bozanic scares me shitless, especially the latter. 

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

The surplus to requirements bit worries me.  CM was one of our weakest areas last season and we are yet to strengthen, but if we lose Lee and Djoum (highly likely given that their numbers have gone) then the thought of being left with Haring plus another from Cochrane, Edwards and Bozanic scares me shitless, especially the latter. 

If we lost Lee or/and Djoum I'm fairly certain someone else would come in.

In fact, I'll be surprised if that player is not earmarked already hence the reason OL is surplus to reuqirements.

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Agree with most of this. I would have had Edwards and Bozanic out the door before Lee and Djoum.

That's been good news 3 days in a row now. 

We're being spoiled. 

Infact no, nothing happened yesterday. Forget that lol. 

Edited by Aich E Eh

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I don't think he is surplus to requirements (always sounds derogatory).

This is more of an understanding between manager and player that due to personal circumstances the club won't stand in his way for a move back South

49 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

MK Dons are League One so that might be a good move for him

Didn't realise they'd got promoted. I suspect he'll end up there then. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Disappointing. No one missed Naismith more last season than Lee because his intelligent runs created space and time for Lee to play in. With a fully fit Naismith I would have had Lee as first choice beside Haring.

If we get Lee off the wage bill I'd like to see the saving from him and Djoum spent on one quality CM to play alongside Haring.

We have cover in Bozanic, Edwards and Cochrane. What we need is a quality addition as the quantity is already there.

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Disappointing. No one missed Naismith more last season than Lee because his intelligent runs created space and time for Lee to play in. With a fully fit Naismith I would have had Lee as first choice beside Haring.

Naismiths moaning meant others made decent runs too.

Took Ian Black time to come good and he knew the league.

Wont be too disappointed if he cant find a club and has to stay and fight for gametime.

GorgieFifeLife

It's good to see Levein recognising quickly when players aren't going to cut it and moving them on as quickly as possible.  With Djoum likely to leave as well think we could do with 2 quality midfielders to come in.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Will always be remembered for that wonder goal at Easter road and quite rightly so was a brilliant goal 

26 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't think he is surplus to requirements (always sounds derogatory).

This is more of an understanding between manager and player that due to personal circumstances the club won't stand in his way for a move back South

Isn't that a quote from the manager?

Maroon Sailor
Just now, JamboAl said:

Isn't that a quote from the manager?

Doubt it - not the kind of thing a manager would say 

Journalists on the other hand ......

Seymour M Hersh

Anyone know if this "masked marauder" character is legit or an infiltrator (as this place seems awash with them nowadays)?

31 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Agree with most of this. I would have had Edwards and Bozanic out the door before Lee and Djoum.

Agreed but Djoum leaving is not Hearts choice. I'd imagine that Walker will be playing in a similar area to Lee as an advanced midfield player. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Anyone know if this "masked marauder" character is legit or an infiltrator (as this place seems awash with them nowadays)?

He started the rumour before it hit the press so seems to be ITK if you ask me?

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Reading between the lines it is not a difficult conclusion to come to unless the personal issues are overwhelming.

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Reading between the lines it is not a difficult conclusion to come to unless the personal issues are overwhelming.

Will be disappointed if Lee goes. Not a bad player on his day and can take a good set piece which is important. 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

might be the best option for both sides. Disappointed for him going as much as how he and his Dad defended us when he signed and people down south were going mental about Scottish football. Him going after a year will just give those idiots further ammunition.

No it won't, it'll do the exact opposite. Lee isn't good enough to play for Hearts and would really struggle to get anywhere near the team next season. The bottom 2 leagues in England are utter pish, quality wise and Lee's failure to make an impact at Hearts proves it.

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

No it won't, it'll do the exact opposite. Lee isn't good enough to play for Hearts and would really struggle to get anywhere near the team next season. The bottom 2 leagues in England are utter pish, quality wise and Lee's failure to make an impact at Hearts proves it.

Yes, a player from the bottom two leagues in England has never been a success anywhere ‘higher’.