• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• rick witter

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Maroon Sailor

35 days since the cup final - might need to get the oil can out for some of them

pettigrewsstylist

Imagine if we had a pre-season where we looked to play our first 11 as much as poss and get everyone i squad setteld in, familiar and confident for first competitive match. 

Radical mentalist that i am.

This place is ****ing mental.

Some on here expecting us to go out and play like it's another cup final.

Simple instructions to the players today.

Ignore the result. Go out and get some fitness. Don't get injured. 

Anyone on here who is genuinely disappointed in us not going out and putting effort in to win and risking injuries to players in a game that is the most meaningless we will play all season need to put down the spoon and lighter.

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Morph said:

Think that’s it, win all your games pre season and the club goes into the season with a bit of a buzz. 

Again dont think it proves anything about the team but would be good to get the feel good factor back.  Anyone know what went wrong for us?  Would imagine we just lacked the physicality against them?

We did lack physicality but to be honest Arbroath also had a lot more quality than us and showed more forward intent whereas we stroked the ball about the back with little purpose.  It was a game of football which, friendly or not Arbroath showed more intent to win.  Nobody came out with any credit during first half. Second half McDonald showed flashes but needs to get head up. Burns showed up ok in midfield.  The guy who really impressed me was Petkov, looks like a basketball player at centre half strong but very good with ball at his feet.

rick witter
13 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

I disagree but there you go, it's all about opinions

It sure is mate. Fair enough ??

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, Bauld said:

Anyone on here who is genuinely disappointed in us not going out and putting effort in to win and risking injuries to players in a game that is the most meaningless we will play all season need to put down the spoon and lighter.

We need to go to Arbroath to ensure some bairns get a runabout?

rick witter
1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

We did lack physicality but to be honest Arbroath also had a lot more quality than us and showed more forward intent whereas we stroked the ball about the back with little purpose.  It was a game of football which, friendly or not Arbroath showed more intent to win.  Nobody came out with any credit during first half. Second half McDonald showed flashes but needs to get head up. Burns showed up ok in midfield.  The guy who really impressed me was Petkov, looks like a basketball player at centre half strong but very good with ball at his feet.

Now that is scary if Arbroath had more quality than us when Berra, Clare, McLean, Bozanic and Wighton all played some part in the match not to mention 4 of 5 younger guys that we thought would be pushing for a first team start this season. 

Devastated.

Shambles.

Despise.

At least the window is still open so we can't punt everybody and sack everybody and start again. 

This place is a bombscare. How can anybody equate problems still a first pre season game with most of our first team missing, as a sign of things to come is just beyond me and ridiculous. 

Its a friendly getting people fitness up no more no less. In all my years Ive never bothered my jacksy about any friendly result. Its just the usual mumpers with their negative energy and its so tiresome. They have hardly done any ballwork. If it was the Dundee Utd game our first serious game, but f**ks same, some of our fans are just weird. 

I have been one of Clares biggest critics, but for me he was the one big plus today, and I thought he was our best player. He was playing a different role and all the play was going through him, and he impressed me. 

7 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Now that is scary if Arbroath had more quality than us when Berra, Clare, McLean, Bozanic and Wighton all played some part in the match not to mention 4 of 5 younger guys that we thought would be pushing for a first team start this season. 

Let's be honest though:

Berra has been brutal since his injury, if Soapy stays then Berra may be bit part.

Clare is an absolute imposter of a player. Never good enough for us, CL to stubborn to admit it.

McLean is a squad player, even more so next season.

Bozanic showed some promise but lost his way last season, another bit part player.

Wighton, the less said the better.

None of these players except Berra and unfortunately Clare will be a regular in our team. Nothing to worry about today, I'd be more concerned if it was the week before the season started but it was a run out and that's it.

13 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We need to go to Arbroath to ensure some bairns get a runabout?

It was two separate Hearts XI's

Neither team had played a game together before

Players that played in the cup final were split over two halves and mixed with 16 and 17 year olds

Anyone who thinks that that was a "Hearts Firsts team" today is ****ing mental.

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

From top to bottom this place is rammed with clowns, idiots and infiltrators.

Correct

2 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Let's be honest though:

Berra has been brutal since his injury, if Soapy stays then Berra may be bit part.

Clare is an absolute imposter of a player. Never good enough for us, CL to stubborn to admit it.

Bozanic showed some promise but lost his way last season, another bit part player.

None of these players except Berra and unfortunately Clare will be a regular in our team. Nothing to worry about today, I'd be more concerned if it was the week before the season started but it was a run out and that's it.

It was noted by people at the the game that Clare was the main part of the improvement in the team in the second half. Put your puerile hatred to bed.

jamboinglasgow

This thread backs the argument that friendlies should be played behind closed doors and the score not advertised. Of course I dont like Hearts losing, but I will start panicking if are doing poorly in the league cup.

WheatfieldWarrior

It wasn't a competitive game today, but was an opportunity for some of the youngsters to show us what they can do and try and stake a place on the bench for first team games.

A few did well in flashes,  but nobody really stood out for me.

Ernie Eskilsson
7 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Let's be honest though:

None of those 5 should be starters this season 

rick witter
11 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Let's be honest though:

Totally agree. 

All mentioned apart from Berra should be nowhere near a Hearts team. 

rick witter
10 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It was noted by people at the the game that Clare was the main part of the improvement in the team in the second half. Put your puerile hatred to bed.

Clare ??????

GorgieFifeLife
22 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Yes it is scary. I know it was our first friendly but it was an opportunity for young guys and fringe players to put forward their case for being involved in match day squads this season but the majority showed very little.  As has been mentioned there was a little improvement in the second half without really working their keeper. As has also been mentioned Clare showed some decent touches but theres no end product with him. The Arbroath centre half cemented him and he wasnt seen much after that.

1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

On way back from today’s game. Only things we can take from games like this is that MacLean, Wighton, Brandon, Burns, Henderson, Moore, Petkov are not good enough for Hearts and never will be why do we even persist giving them minutes just move them on 

I thought Burns was alright when he came on. 

rick witter
Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

Yes it is scary. I know it was our first friendly but it was an opportunity for young guys and fringe players to put forward their case for being involved in match day squads this season but the majority showed very little.  As has been mentioned there was a little improvement in the second half without really working their keeper. As has also been mentioned Clare showed some decent touches but theres no end product with him. The Arbroath centre half cemented him and he wasnt seen much after that.

Sounds like a typical Hearts match to be honest. 

Blackshades
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

No I didn’t. 

Comments I passed on were ‘very young squad travelling tomorrow’ and  ‘number of u17’s and 18’s’

Take your pick from Sandison, Hickey,Cochrane,Smith, Zanatta, Watson, Schiavone,McDonald,Logan, Henderson, Zanatta, Hamilton, Petkov - that’s 13 of today’s squad who are either u17’s, u18’s,  u19’s or are regarded as ‘young’ players. 

I just passed on what I heard yesterday. It’s guys like you that make posters think twice about sharing anything on this forum nowadays. 

You've no idea what I'm like . So don't come on and lecture me about something anybody with a brain could have worked out.that today's team would be nowhere near a full strength and these games have a first half and second half team.

10 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

I thought Burns was alright when he came on. 

Have to disagree just don’t see it with him he must have shelled the ball out the park above 5 times in 45 minutes when he could have just kept it on the deck

Edited by 19/05/2012

the general

Cmon we all know these games mean nothing.. how many Hearts fans were there? If we really thought it was important there would have been thousands there . Similarly how many are going to Ireland??  As folk have said if we are still shite at the end of the league cup sections then a mini panic is allowed 

MaskedMarauder

Some personal ratings from me FWIW.

Bobby - 6, nothing at all to do really

Hickey - 5, not his best game. Kept cutting back and not offered anything from Zanatta which didn’t help his cause. 

Berra - 6, nothing much to do either

Hamilton - 5, ok but as always his height is going to be a major problem against big strikers. Couldn’t keep his arms off players which will see him continuously punished in real games.

Sandison - 5, offered himself plenty times but was really never gifted possession much before going off. 

Moore - 5, always looking for the ball and wanting to run at players but final ball is shocking. 

Smith - 5, pretty anonymous.

Edwards - 5, didn’t really impose himself as much as he should’ve for a senior player. 

Zanatta - 4, was really looking forward to seeing him after his loan spell but doesn’t seem to have kicked on much based on today. Final ball, like Moore, was shocking. Craig constantly on at him to keep switched on. 

Cochrane - 4, first touch was nowhere to be seen today. Too hesitant on the midfield and was often refusing to drop back to take the ball from Bobby as he was instructed to do. 

McLean - 6, held the ball up well but little to no service. Unlucky to hit the bar. 

Doyle - 6, nothing much to do. 

Logan - 6, energetic and composed on the ball. Caught out going forward a bit much. 

Dikamona - 6, composed at the back. Decent game.

Petkov - 6, another solid game from young Alex. Seems to be growing taller by the minute. Proper leader at the back talking players ahead of him through the game. 

Watson - 5, good going forward but tended to switch off and follow a runner too much.

Bozanic - 5, pretty ineffective. Those silly chipped through balls never work. Please stop them! 

Burns - 6, not bad. Always wanting the ball and trying to spread the play out. Still unconvinced. 

Clare - 5, some good runs but too concerned with trying to draw fouls and get the referee onside. 

McDonald - 5, same as Zanatta. Never done much of note. 

Henderson - 5, passing back constantly and no confidence to even try get forward which was a bit annoying. 

Wighton - 4, offered nothing yet again. Can’t win a header and so ineffective on the ground. Needs to improve sharpish. 

Brandon - 5, nothing much offered from him either. Another passenger who needs to up his game for the real stuff. 

53 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Poor result , but as people have said it's only pre season so not overly important but still poor and nor setting the tone going forward . 

Sorry,  this is just a clueless post.  The result is meaningless.  Today was all about giving young players a run out and seeing  what level they are at.

Tenaciousdandy

folk losing there sh!t over a mix mash team losing the first friendly of the pre-season seriously need to take a step back and reflect on that this was solely to assess the progress of some of the young guys alongside some if the first team/reserves. It will be completely different line up when we face utd on the 12th 

Total agree that these games should be played behind closed doors 

Jambof3tornado
27 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Pleasing indeed.

Not a Clare fan but really think he could be a star man for us if he is pushed to perform well by whoever else will play his position.

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

Some personal ratings from me FWIW.

Bobby - 6, nothing at all to do really

Hickey - 5, not his best game. Kept cutting back and not offered anything from Zanatta which didn’t help his cause. 

Berra - 6, nothing much to do either

Hamilton - 5, ok but as always his height is going to be a major problem against big strikers. Couldn’t keep his arms off players which will see him continuously punished in real games.

Sandison - 5, offered himself plenty times but was really never gifted possession much before going off. 

Moore - 5, always looking for the ball and wanting to run at players but final ball is shocking. 

Smith - 5, pretty anonymous.

Edwards - 5, didn’t really impose himself as much as he should’ve for a senior player. 

Zanatta - 4, was really looking forward to seeing him after his loan spell but doesn’t seem to have kicked on much based on today. Final ball, like Moore, was shocking. Craig constantly on at him to keep switched on. 

Cochrane - 4, first touch was nowhere to be seen today. Too hesitant on the midfield and was often refusing to drop back to take the ball from Bobby as he was instructed to do. 

McLean - 6, held the ball up well but little to no service. Unlucky to hit the bar. 

Doyle - 6, nothing much to do. 

Logan - 6, energetic and composed on the ball. Caught out going forward a bit much. 

Dikamona - 6, composed at the back. Decent game.

Petkov - 6, another solid game from young Alex. Seems to be growing taller by the minute. Proper leader at the back talking players ahead of him through the game. 

Watson - 5, good going forward but tended to switch off and follow a runner too much.

Bozanic - 5, pretty ineffective. Those silly chipped through balls never work. Please stop them! 

Burns - 6, not bad. Always wanting the ball and trying to spread the play out. Still unconvinced. 

Clare - 5, some good runs but too concerned with trying to draw fouls and get the referee onside. 

McDonald - 5, same as Zanatta. Never done much of note. 

Henderson - 5, passing back constantly and no confidence to even try get forward which was a bit annoying. 

Wighton - 4, offered nothing yet again. Can’t win a header and so ineffective on the ground. Needs to improve sharpish. 

Brandon - 5, nothing much offered from him either. Another passenger who needs to up his game for the real stuff. 

Thanks MM. For me, most useful post on the thread, so far. 

50 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Couldn’t disagree with you anymore. Simple instructions don’t get injured?

How about go out, try really hard to win the game at the same time as build up fitness. It’s little wonder our team is full of losers with fan attitudes like this. 

Its never acceptable to get beat from Arbroath. Ever!!! Stop being a total shit bag. 

rick witter
5 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Sorry,  this is just a clueless post.  The result is meaningless.  Today was all about giving young players a run out and seeing  what level they are at.

All about young players aye ok. There were at least 8 first team players playing at various times. If it was all about young players why were the first team even there? 

2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Thanks MM. For me, most useful post on the thread, so far. 

That's unfair, I posted the number for the Samaritans.

My post could save lives Ffs.

rick witter
Just now, Markymark said:

How about go out, try really hard to win the game at the same time as build up fitness. It’s little wonder our team is full of losers with fan attitudes like this. 

Its never acceptable to get beat from Arbroath. Ever!!! Stop being a total shit bag. 

Spot on mate. 

There is a losing mentality right through the club. It’s as if it’s ok to lose!!!! That stems from the manager. 

Just now, rick witter said:

All about young players aye ok. There were at least 8 first team players playing at various times. If it was all about young players why were the first team even there? 

This. Regardless of players playing i think at a club like Hearts I would expect even our 17 year olds to walk into Arbroaths first team. Unfortunately they looked far better than us which is worrying for our options of the bench this season

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Bobby 

Hickey 

Berra 

Edwards 

MacLean 

Clare 

Smith 

All started the Scottish cup final, all played a part today. 

Cochrane 

MacDonald 

Are players people think are going to be pushing for starting places next season. 

Wighton 

Bozanic 

Burns 

Brandon 

All featured at various points last season and will feature again this season. 

Lets not pretend that the sides out today where “filled” with youth. 13 of the squad feature and will feature in the new season. A fitness exercise it may be but we have been making excuses for poor performances and defeats since October 2018, you can’t blame people for getting irked by another defeat, even in these circumstances. 

Pre season is for fitness, trying out new shape/formations, new players etc but it’s also for building momentum for the new season. It’s not essential but it’s great to build a bit of excitement for the new season. Everyone will remember the Boro friendly before the Burley season, the feel good factor was amazing. Fans and players together. Pretend all you like but come the start of the season, with more results like today, the atmosphere is going to be horrendous. 

Heres hoping, like many have said, it is just a fitness exercise and not a indication of what’s to come. 

This

their attitude stinks 

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

??

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, Markymark said:

This 

The Internet
9 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Of the multitude of posts to pick out as clueless that's a bit of a harsh one imo

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, 19/05/2012 said:

I would expect even our 17 year olds to walk into Arbroaths first team.

Regardless of views on performance and result today I just don't see any realistic argument behind this statement. The results for the Colt sides in the Challenge Cup suggest that, aside from an odd player, this shouldn't be an expectation for any of the top tier sides in Scotland.

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Usually when we have a shit preseason we have a good season.  The title is ours! 

That is my perception over the last 40 years, but it likely doesn't matter either way. 

Rick's been working hard during the pre-season.  He's come back absolutely on fire.  That's what I expect from the players.

All credit to him.  Top effort.

The “people reacting like this over one result” line from the Levein cuckolds is the biggest and most common slight of hand amongst our support. 

It’s not just the fact we lost 2-0 to a part time team today. It’s almost 9 months of awful football and terrible results. Yet there’s an excuse from some for every poor result. 

If this was Cathro or Robbie, they’d have been emptied long before now. 

I'm pretty critical of levein but I'm not bothered about a friendly result.  Only thing that matters is building up match fitness - nothing else. 

Will save my seethe for the actual football games.

2 hours ago, rick witter said:

There is no way we will win all 4 league cup games. 

Put your money where your mouth is? £50 to Big Hearts if you lose? I’ll have some of this too.  If  we don’t win all 4 then I’ll pay £50 to the BHF. You in?