***Official Arbroath v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Harry Potter

Not going over the thread but was this not hearts laddies versus Arbroath men, anyone

moaning about the result needs to get a grip, big time.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• rick witter

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
39 minutes ago, rick witter said:

He was there. Saw the highlights if you can call them that on Sky last night and Levein  walking over at the end laughing away. 

I hope he is laughing after a win against Dundee Utd and not another embarrassing result. 

I'm sure he will have been glad to give a dozen and more teenagers exposure at the first opportunity. 

Randy Marsh
19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Absolutely. The only place this game will ever be remembered is as a little footnote on London Hearts. It's as immaterial as that Petrofac nonsense in the relegation season.

I was absolutely distraught that night we got knocked out by Livingston.  Still not forgiven Neilson for fielding the youths.

Alex Kintner

1997/98

Grimsby 2 Hearts 0

Blyth Spartens 0 Hearts 0

2005/06

St Patrick’s 0 Hearts 0

Berwick Rangers 0 Hearts 0

2011/12

Cowdenbeath 2 Hearts 1

Union Berlin 3 Hearts 0

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

1997/98

Grimsby 2 Hearts 0

2005/06

St Patrick’s 0 Hearts 0

2011/12

Cowdenbeath 2 Hearts 1

Union Berlin 3 Hearts 0

:levein_interesting:

1 hour ago, pablo said:

To be honest,  if you have to "get over" our result yesterday I'd say you lack perspective on the point of preseason games such as this one. 

Just to be clear, yesterday's, or any friendly, result does not bother me at all. My post was for the benefit of the cry babies. 

Brighton Jambo

We should be trying to win every match, build momentum and confidence.  Poor result and the manager picked a poor team and should be held accountable. 

Nah only joking it was a friendly in June with a bunch of kids, nothing more than a glorified training exercise.  Any one who found themselves agreeing with my opening paragraph needs to get some perspective and reality.  

Geoff Kilpatrick
47 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I was absolutely distraught that night we got knocked out by Livingston.  Still not forgiven Neilson for fielding the youths.

:laugh:

29 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

We should be trying to win every match, build momentum and confidence.  Poor result and the manager picked a poor team and should be held accountable. 

Nah only joking it was a friendly in June with a bunch of kids, nothing more than a glorified training exercise.  Any one who found themselves agreeing with my opening paragraph needs to get some perspective and reality.  

So you're saying that we shouldn't go into every match to try and win? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, dustybin said:

Well, I was delighted we lost that Petrofac nonsense that I mentioned. A completely unnecessary distraction.

Brighton Jambo
25 minutes ago, dustybin said:

If that’s what you took from my post then crack on mate 

2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

I have never forgiven Burley for playing Jamie Mole.

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Physically they were far too strong for the teenagers. Ability would shine through in time or in other circumstances 

If teenagers can’t stand up for themselves they shouldn’t of played in this game. Teenagers become stronger at different times and it’s really up to the management when they are blooded in games. It’s all to do with good judgement if you are saying some of our team were not strong enough the blame lies with the managements staff.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

If teenagers can’t stand up for themselves they shouldn’t of played in this game. Teenagers become stronger at different times and it’s really up to the management when they are blooded in games. It’s all to do with good judgement if you are saying some of our team were not strong enough the blame lies with the managements staff.

:cornette:

It's all part of giving them experience FFS!

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

1997/98

Grimsby 2 Hearts 0

2005/06

St Patrick’s 0 Hearts 0

2011/12

Cowdenbeath 2 Hearts 1

Union Berlin 3 Hearts 0

Nothing to be proud of here.

10 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I have never forgiven Burley for playing Jamie Mole.

Burley had a very small squad and made it clear the league was his priority. He also stated 

he wanted more bodies signed in January then we could also go for the Scottish Cup.

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Correct. 

But it what is relevant is the season we had after these poor results. 

What Ann Budge, the Board, fans and ticket office will be wanting to see the start of a massive 

improvement in the team in the coming weeks. No more excuses from CL this has to be the 

season we become the team we all want to see. We need to get the real deal on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:cornette:

It's all part of giving them experience FFS!

The wrong experience getting pumped by Arbroath Kippers.

Edited by mitch41

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

The wrong experience getting pumped by Arbroath Kippers.

Oh just wheest Mitch and catch yourself on.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

What Ann Budge, the Board, fans and ticket office will be wanting to see the start of a massive 

improvement in the team in the coming weeks. No more excuses from CL this has to be the 

season we become the team we all want to see. We need to get the real deal on the pitch.

Aye, that's what will be expected, post pre season, when we've got something even resembling our starting 11 on the park. Folk are just embarrassing themselves to wholly unprecedented levels by using a friendly against Arbroath as a stick to beat the club / Levein / fringe players with. Get a ****ing grip and wait until the Dundee United game to start this nonsense!

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Exactly when they should play 

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Really daft comment to a relevant piece of information.  That is, early pre-season games mean nothing in terms of results!!!

You'll strain a muscle if you keep trying to stretch your rancour when someone says something that emphasises the futility of your point

Edited by colinmaroon

allanwilson1970
21 hours ago, MaskedMarauder said:

Smith - 5, pretty anonymous.

Cochrane - 4, first touch was nowhere to be seen today. Too hesitant on the midfield and was often refusing to drop back to take the ball from Bobby as he was instructed to do.   

McDonald - 5, same as Zanatta. Never done much of note. 

Henderson - 5, passing back constantly and no confidence to even try get forward which was a bit annoying. 

Despite being a friendly I would have expected more from the 4 above, it's quite concerning. Even though 1st game back, these youngsters should be fit and upto speed. McDonald & Cochrane burst into the team and in the last 18 months both have been anonymous, I have not seen either have a decent game since January 2018, I would have expected them to kick on this season, based on the above maybe not.

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aye, that's what will be expected, post pre season, when we've got something even resembling our starting 11 on the park. Folk are just embarrassing themselves to wholly unprecedented levels by using a friendly against Arbroath as a stick to beat the club / Levein / fringe players with. Get a ****ing grip and wait until the Dundee United game to start this nonsense!

I can’t wait on the League Cup games because I will expect Hearts to qualify easily and if we don’t there will

be massive consequences for certain employees of our club. 

19 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Despite being a friendly I would have expected more from the 4 above, it's quite concerning. Even though 1st game back, these youngsters should be fit and upto speed. McDonald & Cochrane burst into the team and in the last 18 months both have been anonymous, I have not seen either have a decent game since January 2018, I would have expected them to kick on this season, based on the above maybe not.

We seem to get young lads breaking into the team and looking good on the ball with plenty of confidence then after a while the just end up going backwards. Yes we should all be worried about our youngsters development when they get into the first team squad.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I can’t wait on the League Cup games because I will expect Hearts to qualify easily and if we don’t there will

If we don’t qualify there will likely be consequences. I doubt the ‘easily’ bit will be a major factor. 

loveofthegame
17 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

I do get the majority of your post and I agree in the most part about the result not mattering too much. 

But see if it means absolutely nothing and has absolutely zero purpose or bearing, what is the point in these games then? If its for "fitness" I can think of a fair few things that are better for fitness than a 45 minute run around where no Hearts player touched the ball more than a handful of times.

Match sharpness that only comes with playing games mate. Nothing more. 

Mr Elwood P
14 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

We will achieve between 10-12 points, thus winning the group. The massive consequence, will be that the negative slavers on here will have to rehydrate themselves, in preparation for the Premiership campaign. 

1 hour ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Fingers crossed

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We will achieve between 10-12 points, thus winning the group. The massive consequence, will be that the negative slavers on here will have to rehydrate themselves, in preparation for the Premiership campaign. 

And who do you recon has a chance of taking points of Hearts ?

1 hour ago, loveofthegame said:

Arbroath must be as sharp as a tack.

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, rick witter said:

He was there. Saw the highlights if you can call them that on Sky last night and Levein  walking over at the end laughing away. 

I hope he is laughing after a win against Dundee Utd and not another embarrassing result. 

Maybe he was laughing because he isn't a Hibs arsehole and isn't trying to turn the first friendly of the season into something it isn't. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Unfortunately, we will have the usual suspects salivating at the prospect if massive consequences for certain employees of the club rather than looking forward to the new season.

Mr Elwood P
55 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

And who do you recon has a chance of taking points of Hearts ?

Potentially anyone. In the Championship season we lost 2-3 at Tynecastle to Falkirk and had a couple of away draws against poor teams. Cup competitions make anything possible. We could similarly have the group won after 3 games and give the fringe players a run out.

Big Slim Stylee
26 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Maybe he was laughing because he isn't a Hibs arsehole and isn't trying to turn the first friendly of the season into something it isn't. 

Maybe he was laughing at Witter. Something we should all strive to do much more this season.

Alex Kintner

Translation: I’m excitedly hoping we struggle to qualify in the league cup so I can bump my gums

Randy Marsh

19 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Translation: I’m excitedly hoping we struggle to qualify in the league cup so I can bump my gums

Exactly my thoughts Frank.  He sounds like he wants us to fail. :lol:

3 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

So why are we not playing our strongest possible team to give them much needed match sharpness?

Pre season or not, it's always good to win and build momentum.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

So why are we not playing our strongest possible team to give them much needed match sharpness?

According to some on here we didn't go to Arbroath to win a football match.

Should have just played against Heriot Watt Uni behind closed doors and put XI after Hearts

loveofthegame
1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

Because we have another game tomorrow for starters. And because we have a big squad of players that the manager obviously wants to look at.

The loss on Saturday will have zero, absolutely **** all, bearing on our season. Talk of momentum in pre-season friendlies is a bit of a nonsense.

A quick look at our most successful seasons - we drew with Blyth Spartans and lost to Grimsby in 1997/98 pre-season, in 2005/06 we drew with St Patricks and Berwick and in 2011/12 we lost to Cowdenbeath and Livi (who had just been promoted to the Championship). Those seasons ended up ok. I can't be bothered looking at every pre-season for the last 20 years but I bet you could point at a bad result or 2 in almost all of them.

Pantwetting after losing our first pre-season friendly with two completely different makeshift sides playing only 45 mins each is beyond parody levels of embarrassing. 

53 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Because we have another game tomorrow for starters. And because we have a big squad of players that the manager obviously wants to look at.

The loss on Saturday will have zero, absolutely **** all, bearing on our season. Talk of momentum in pre-season friendlies is a bit of a nonsense.

A quick look at our most successful seasons - we drew with Blyth Spartans and lost to Grimsby in 1997/98 pre-season, in 2005/06 we drew with St Patricks and Berwick and in 2011/12 we lost to Cowdenbeath and Livi (who had just been promoted to the Championship). Those seasons ended up ok. I can't be bothered looking at every pre-season for the last 20 years but I bet you could point at a bad result or 2 in almost all of them.

Pantwetting after losing our first pre-season friendly with two completely different makeshift sides playing only 45 mins each is beyond parody levels of embarrassing. 

If we had won the game, pretty much all posts would be pointing out that even though it's only Arbroath in a pre season friendly, it's always good to win.

I'm not pantwetting, all I'm saying is it's good to win no matter what the game is, and I know it'll have no bearing on the season ahead.

3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Unfortunately, we will have the usual suspects salivating at the prospect if massive consequences for certain employees of the club rather than looking forward to the new season.

Oh we’re all looking forward to the new season because it will be a fantastic time to be a Jambo. 

We’ll be sailing through the early rounds of the League Cup and when the SPL starts we’ll never 

be out of the top 4 challenging for Europe. 

But it see if it all starts going wrong like it did last season heads will have to roll.

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Oh we’re all looking forward to the new season because it will be a fantastic time to be a Jambo. 

We’ll be sailing through the early rounds of the League Cup and when the SPL starts we’ll never 

be out of the top 4 challenging for Europe. 

But it see if it all starts going wrong like it did last season heads will have to roll.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Exactly my thoughts Frank.  He sounds like he wants us to fail. :lol:

Silly billy. Quite the opposite I want Hearts to win everything.

I take it you’ve never met someone who hates losing. Maybe 

that’s the trouble with too many on here they just don’t care 

enough. 

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

giphy.gif

I have no time for Hearts being second rate and neither should anyone who loves our club.

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Silly billy. Quite the opposite I want Hearts to win everything.

I take it you’ve never met someone who hates losing. Maybe 

that’s the trouble with too many on here they just don’t care 

enough. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5014925