***Official Arbroath v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

48 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

If anyone is interested Celtic’s ACTUAL first team squad only just managed to beat an austrian regional team - 3rd division level - with a late goal today.

Means **** all.

If they got beat it might have been different spin 

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• rick witter

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Jambo, Goodbye
4 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Speed of thought, execution, movement, touch are still like last season, slow. Why take 3/4 touches when it can be done in 1 or 2 and thats whst drives people mad and then forces the pass backwards.

That was always Darren Murray's approach to the U19s. Trying to get them to only take one touch and then pass. Hopefully they are still doing that at the academy. 

Trouble is,  older players are far less likely to change bad or poor habits ?

It should have been ten
25 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

It’s a friendly ffs! People moaning for the sake of it 

Did you really expect anything else? Wouldn’t be Kickback without the usual roasters out in force after a defeat. These “supporters” would be more pissed off had we actually won. 

4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It physically impossible to work out what is a joke post on here nowadays - JKB has crawled up its own ass.

Apologies.

Nah i know mate. Just a place for arguments nowadays really. 

Jambo, Goodbye
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What's bizarre is you can't answer your own simple question but expect someone else to do it !

But I'm the one asking it. Are you really arguing over who should answer MY question?  

You're clearly clueless as to why an entire squad would travel to Arbroath if you think it was a pointless exercise. They didn't go there to win a game of football. There are so many things that each player is being assessed on,  but I'm guessing you think they went there just to play a game of footy. Seeing as you can't give me any other opinion.

I was just curious,  no need to deflect,  and be so weirdly defensive. 

6 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

That was always Darren Murray's approach to the U19s. Trying to get them to only take one touch and then pass. Hopefully they are still doing that at the academy. 

Trouble is,  older players are far less likely to change bad or poor habits ?

This isn’t a pop because I know Darren is a very good coach and well respected. But touch and pass has been taught since the beginning of time. 

Its how its reinforced away from the pitch and imposed on it, but also seeing the management pick players up for being sloppy.....Something I hardly noticed last season.

Do you think we actually work at that anyway? If players are constantly being too slow in possession you start to worry about a number of things. Are the players good enough? Are the coaches doing their job? Are the players not adhering, or simply we don’t work on this ethos?

I know it’s not easy. It takes good players on a competitive pitch to play one-two touch fluidly but it should be a fundamental ingrained on the players mentality to take a sharp touch and already be thinking where the ball is going.  

Your last line is interesting. Olly Lee is the perfect example. Too tentative on the ball, too apprehensive to take the ball on the turn and open the game up.  Often looks to but will turn away and play it safer.  

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Jambo, Goodbye said:

But I'm the one asking it. Are you really arguing over who should answer MY question?  

You're clearly clueless as to why an entire squad would travel to Arbroath if you think it was a pointless exercise. They didn't go there to win a game of football. There are so many things that each player is being assessed on,  but I'm guessing you think they went there just to play a game of footy. Seeing as you can't give me any other opinion.

I was just curious,  no need to deflect,  and be so weirdly defensive. 

They didn't go to Arbroath to win a game of football ?

Objective achieved then

I look forward to seeing the results of their assessments.

Had  a lovely afternoon wandering around straiton retail park. Friendlies are a waste of time and money. Managed to even bump into aidy white.Don't worry he didn't get injured!

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They didn't go to Arbroath to win a game of football ?

Objective achieved then

I look forward to seeing the results of their assessments.

If you're one of the data analysts,  you will. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Our Bulgarian player Petkov looked very confident and composed on the ball. These games are for getting a look at our fringe players and is part of our fitness. Nothing to get worked up about ffs! 

Good to hear, I came on to see if there was any chat about the fringe players who played. Anyone else impress? 

KB is shit. It's down to a small number who don't represent the majority of our support. Noisy attention seek arseholes. Today was obviously just a run out for the younger ones in the squad with the majority of the first team not even traveling.

Jambof3tornado
34 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

You mean our movement with our top 4 attacking players out wasn’t what you would expect?

Pretty surprised by that.

Maybe he still expected better from those that did play up top.

Some criticism is allowed, even after a friendly.

Jambo, Goodbye
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

This isn’t a pop because I know Darren is a very good coach and well respected. But touch and pass has been taught since the beginning of time. 

Its how its reinforced away from the pitch and imposed on it, but also seeing the management pick players up for being sloppy.....Something I hardly noticed last season.

Do you think we actually work at that anyway? If players are constantly being too slow in possession you start to worry about a number of things. Are the players good enough? Are the coaches doing their job? Are the players not adhering, or simply we don’t work on this ethos?

I know it’s not easy. It takes good players on a competitive pitch to play one-two touch fluidly but it should be a fundamental ingrained on the players mentality to take a sharp touch and already be thinking where the ball is going.  

Your last line is interesting. Olly Lee is the perfect example. Too tentative on the ball, too apprehensive to take the ball on the turn and open the game up.  Often looks to but will turn away and play it safer.  

I agree with you,  and hopefully we'll see our own academy players demonstrating those simple good habits when more of them break into the team. 

It needs hammered into them from a very young age and sadly,  we continue to see players who clearly didn't have the right coaching at the crucial age groups. 

Could be the difference between an Olly Lee and a Paul Hartley. 

Folk on here are mental.  The first few pre season games are about getting minutes into players legs.  That's it. Results mean **** all, just as it wouldn't have meant anything if we'd won 6-0. 

been here before
5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

KB is shit. It's down to a small number who don't represent the majority of our support. Noisy attention seek arseholes. Today was obviously just a run out for the younger ones in the squad with the majority of the first team not even traveling.

True.

All together now...

I just want to repeat myself again as to what I want to see from all Hearts teams from the youngsters to the first team. Pride, passion, teamwork, attitude, skill,  ability to pass & tackle & making chances to score. Shots on target and scoring is what it’s all about and remember football is a simple game and if players and management don’t get it they shouldn’t be there. Our fans travel to support their team it’s up to Hearts to produce.

Just now, mitch41 said:

I just want to repeat myself again as to what I want to see from all Hearts teams from the youngsters to the first team. Pride, passion, teamwork, attitude, skill,  ability to pass & tackle & making chances to score. Shots on target and scoring is what it’s all about and remember football is a simple game and if players and management don’t get it they shouldn’t be there. Our fans travel to support their team it’s up to Hearts to produce.

:rofl:

rick witter
34 minutes ago, sam? said:

If they got beat it might have been different spin 

Would be good if we could just score a goal never mind win a game. 

Try to score a goal.

Then try to get a draw. Not a 0-0 please Craig. 

Then go for the holy grail of winning a match. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good to hear, I came on to see if there was any chat about the fringe players who played. Anyone else impress? 

Clare was decent in midfield. We had no threat upfront. MaClean spent most of the first half with his back to goal. Euan Henderson wasn’t at the races today and i can see him and Lewis Moore going back out on loan. Harry did well, likewise MacDonald. Zanatta started off slowly then got involved a bit. Berra needs to work on distribution and with a bit of tempo injected. Dikamona looked clumsy at times but it’s was a friendly. Maybe not as meaningless as I’d like to believe but a friendly nonetheless. We were very slow at times but it was a game for experimenting and trying different things out/combinations etc that didn’t really work. We had one or two chances but Arbroath were worthy of a 2-0 win. I’m sure CL has plenty food for thought and by the time Utd appear on the 12th I’m sure he’ll know our strongest 11. SJ

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

True.

All together now...

You’re always good value for a quip BHB. Brightens up a rather dull Saturday night for me lol.

2 hours ago, Blackshades said:

You've no idea what I'm like . So don't come on and lecture me about something anybody with a brain could have worked out.that today's team would be nowhere near a full strength and these games have a first half and second half team.

So why did you have a problem with my original posts if you, and everyone with a brain, knew they were accurate?  Easy to say things with hindsight. I said them with foresight or knowledge, take your pick. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Clare was decent in midfield. We had no threat upfront. MaClean spent most of the first half with his back to goal. Euan Henderson wasn’t at the races today and i can see him and Lewis Moore going back out on loan. Harry did well, likewise MacDonald. Zanatta started off slowly then got involved a bit. Berra needs to work on distribution and with a bit of tempo injected. Dikamona looked clumsy at times but it’s was a friendly. Maybe not as meaningless as I’d like to believe but a friendly nonetheless. We were very slow at times but it was a game for experimenting and trying different things out/combinations etc that didn’t really work. We had one or two chances but Arbroath were worthy of a 2-0 win. I’m sure CL has plenty food for thought and by the time Utd appear on the 12th I’m sure he’ll know our strongest 11. SJ

No threat upfront.

Why doesn't that surprise me ?!

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Cheers mate, it is a friendly and we obviously tried things with mostly young players. Arbroath are at the same stage as us fitness wise, never good to lose but it’s all geared towards being ready for United.

Blackshades
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

So why did you have a problem with my original posts if you, and everyone with a brain, knew they were accurate?  Easy to say things with hindsight. I said them with foresight or knowledge, take your pick. 

Look I'm sorry .I don't know why I decided to be a dick and have a moan at your post .so don't take it the wrong way and stop posting what you hear ?

loveofthegame

Wow. This thread is special.

I was very anti-Levein last season, I said countless times in posts that I was sick of the pish performances and ultimately the results. I won't repeat that stuff ad nauseam here. But **** me, today was the first match of pre-season with two entirely different, mish-mash teams who played 45 mins each. The result, and performance, mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You'd have to be an absolute balloon to get worked up about today, when you throw in all the circumstances.

Now IF we go out and perform poorly and don't beat Utd next Friday, the pantwetting can start. But until then, give it a rest FFS.

Edited by loveofthegame

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Of the multitude of posts to pick out as clueless that's a bit of a harsh one imo

Yes maybe a bit harsh on my part.

Arbroath play hibs on Wednesday then Celtic next Sunday, let's hope arbroath scare the hobos enough to worry them about the cup game at Easter rd in a few weeks.

August Landmesser
54 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Folk on here are mental.  The first few pre season games are about getting minutes into players legs.  That's it. Results mean **** all, just as it wouldn't have meant anything if we'd won 6-0. 

If we'd won 6-0, certain folk would be fuming/stirring because we didn't win 8-0.

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, It should have been ten said:

Did you really expect anything else? Wouldn’t be Kickback without the usual roasters out in force after a defeat. These “supporters” would be more pissed off had we actually won. 

I know. Still I think we should know better 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
56 minutes ago, iainmac said:

In unrelated news, I see Aberdeen failed to beat or even score against a Bedouin tribe from Wales! At Home! ? 

I  know they had moved,  but to Ireland?

5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

If we'd won 6-0, certain folk would be fuming/stirring because we didn't win 8-0.

Eh......no they wouldn’t.

Finlay James

Annoying that we got beat but preseason friendlies, especially these very early ones, are for building fitness/sharpness and trying out systems and not much else.

The reaction is vey JKB - get beat and it's a catastrophe but if we'd won, it would mean nothing and we should be winning anyway.  As per usual, perspective is out the window.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Wow. This thread is special.

I was very anti-Levein last season, I said countless times in posts that I was sick of the pish performances and ultimately the results. I won't repeat that stuff ad nauseam here. But **** me, today was the first match of pre-season with two entirely different, mish-mash teams who played 45 mins each. The result, and performance, mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You'd have to be an absolute balloon to get worked up about today, when you throw in all the circumstances.

Now IF we go out and perform poorly and don't beat Utd next Friday, the pantwetting can start. But until then, give it a rest FFS.

Its handy for identifying extreme difficulties in understanding football though. Should be bookmarked. 

The second half team did appear much sharper than the first half team. Pitch could have used some water though. Friendly matches lack zip in any case dry pitches just slow things down more.

But they are not for spectators,  they are for practice and conditioning for football clubs 

rick witter
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

That’s utter pish mate. 

Berra, McLean, Bobby, Doyle, Edwards, Cochrane, Clare, Wighton , Dikamona were all there. I take it they are no longer part of the first team squad? 

Its not far away from being half of it. 

rick witter
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its handy for identifying extreme difficulties in understanding football though. Should be bookmarked. 

The second half team did appear much sharper than the first half team. Pitch could have used some water though. Friendly matches lack zip in any case dry pitches just slow things down more.

But they are not for spectators,  they are for practice and conditioning for football clubs 

Aye it’s the pitch that makes us slow right enough FFS!!  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

Annoying that we got beat but preseason friendlies, especially these very early ones, are for building fitness/sharpness and trying out systems and not much else.

The reaction is vey JKB - get beat and it's a catastrophe but if we'd won, it would mean nothing and we should be winning anyway.  As per usual, perspective is out the window.

I would go further and say not even annoying. Teenagers getting to play adults is always educational. 

However some were very definitely outmuscled. Cochrane could easily be counted as one example 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Still don't know what was achieved from having this match apart from confirming the fact nothing seems to have changed much !

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, rick witter said:

At the game?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

What do you expect from Nomads? ? 

Believe the Sheep are in Cork

46 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

Look I'm sorry .I don't know why I decided to be a dick and have a moan at your post .so don't take it the wrong way and stop posting what you hear ?

Cheers. 

21 minutes ago, rick witter said:

That’s utter pish mate. 

Berra, McLean, Bobby, Doyle, Edwards, Cochrane, Clare, Wighton , Dikamona were all there. I take it they are no longer part of the first team squad? 

Its not far away from being half of it. 

How many were on the pitch at the same time ? Youth game with a few first team squad in each half. I assume we are not allowed two keepers on at the same time.

I would be surprised if more than a few of that list start our first league game.

Edited by jambopilms

5 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

You are like athletes foot mate.  Another season another whinge.  Go on holiday maybe. 

I am here all season. Buckle up

:sob:

18 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It was just a friendly. Don’t know why you had such high hopes.

The Apprentice
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If we won 6-0 there would be folk complaining we didn’t take 7 off them. 

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I am here all season. Buckle up

:sob:

That's twice you've said that. As usual drone, drone, drone, drone...

It should have been ten
46 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

I know. Still I think we should know better 

Agree bud

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

If we won 6-0 there would be folk complaining we didn’t take 7 off them. 

I'd settle for 6

I've seen Hearts win 7-0 up there

Santa came that night as well