Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Lots of assumptions on this thread.

Who's confirmed Hearts didn't want to sign him?

Why do some posters assume if Hearts wanted him, he would bump all other offers and come here?

Why, after all the failed "gamble" type signings in the past 3 seasons, are some fans suggesting we should have taken another gamble?

Its all pointless discussion anyway, he signed for Dundee United. The amount of time some fans waste getting wound up about stuff we have no control over is mind boggling.

Every signing is a gamble

Washington is a gamble. He is trying to kick start his career. He hardly got a look in at his last club but because he flopped in England some seem to think he will piss it up here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Just now, sadj said:

Levein stated (possibly two years ago at the agm???) that the scouting system was decimated when they came in , Therefore after sorting the Academy attention was turned to getting full time scouts back in places and rebuilding the network.  I think this window has shown the transition from numbers to quality , hopefully that continues....

Like what he said about Tzolis too

Yeah, What Macphee said about Tzolis seems to be spot on. A shame, cos he was a different class. 

49 minutes ago, Sagan said:

We're not signing him. We get it. 

We're just pointing out that he was worth taking a chance on and so is anyone else that is banging in the goals in 1 league down from us. 

The stupidity on here is relentless

28 posts on this thread today spouting the same shite is pretty relentless.

Have a look around the rest of the forum mate, you might find something else to moan about. That's what I do and why I have such a high post count. That and the fact my life is pretty empty.

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Not a straight comparison and if it was so easy to score goals in the Championship then we would have had someone hit 20 given Shankland hit 34. What has held us back over the last 2 decades is having a poacher in the side but it seems we never go for players like this for some reason. 

We were one of the highest scorers in Europe in our Championship season, It hardly held us back! Much better to have goals coming from everywhere instead of relying on one player surely?

YouLetYourClubDie
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Levein stated (possibly two years ago at the agm???) that the scouting system was decimated when they came in , Therefore after sorting the Academy attention was turned to getting full time scouts back in places and rebuilding the network.  I think this window has shown the transition from numbers to quality , hopefully that continues....

Like what he said about Tzolis too

I think this transition has more to do with money than anything else. We are absolutely minted compared with 2/3 years ago.

Just now, graygo said:

Have a look around the rest of the forum mate, you might find something else to moan about. That's what I do and why I have such a high post count. That and the fact my life is pretty empty.

HAHA, 

I've had a tour about and it's all just in jokes about trains etc. I'm happy here for now. 

Happy to join you in the empty life thread.

queensferryjambo
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

FFS don't encourage him. Happy he stays here and doesn't troll up the rest of the forum ;)

Watch out 1 dimensional dumb asses here he comes....................

YouLetYourClubDie
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We were one of the highest scorers in Europe in our Championship season, It hardly held us back! Much better to have goals coming from everywhere instead of relying on one player surely?

Not saying it held us back in the Championship but in most other seasons it has. It gives a team great confidence having a striker who knows where the goal is.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

That is all spot on but the way people talk about the Championship on here it should be that easy to score that even playing in half the games it should be possible. Shankland has 5 in 2 games so even with him playing half the games he will likely hit 20. 

20 goal strikers are nice to have but don't necessarily lead to successful seasons. When Leigh Griffiths was banging them in for fun at Hibs they finished 11th and 7th and got humped 5-1 in the cup final!

YouLetYourClubDie
27 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

What.

It was piss easy to score goals in the Championship, we got 96 of them. Despite putting the speedos on with 7 games to go.

Not so easy to score for an Ayr team who were underdogs in every game though. 

6 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

“From this we knew that the Austrian second division is similar to the SPFL and we got Peter Haring, similar to English League 2 where we picked up Uche [Ikpeazu] who was only available for free to clubs in Scotland. English clubs would have had to pay a fee as he was into his 23rd year.

And

“Sean Clare had been up to Hearts a few times and the plan was for him to sign for a Premiership/Championship club and then be loaned to Hearts for the season. 

"However, things changed as they often do and he decided to come on a permanent deal.

"So rather than having to pay Sheffield Wednesday £1m+, we got him for 140k Euros. Sean Clare sees Hearts as a great opportunity and is really excited to be here as are all the players here.

Interesting article that. 

Sean Clare is a bit pish in my opinion.

If he was on the bench you wouldn't look to him to come on a change the game. 

Brick Tamland
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

20 goal strikers are nice to have but don't necessarily lead to successful seasons. When Leigh Griffiths was banging them in for fun at Hibs they finished 11th and 7th and got humped 5-1 in the cup final!

And when Shankland was banging them in for Ayr they got nowhere. 

Im glad we haven’t signed him as I think Washington will be a great signing. 

Just now, Zlatanable said:

I know Sean Clare has football skills, I like him. 

Aye well, some could argue that wighton has football skills.  It's what he does during a game that counts, and in sean clares case, not enough. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Sagan said:

An interesting article from last year on how we've improved our scouting network and that it will take time. 

So basically admitting that the previous network was dug shite. 

However, it does seem like most of the better players we've signed since then have been players that Levein has worked with or wanted previously or players that MacPhee has known or worked with.. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-assistant-austin-macphee-how-15235333

This is the key quote from that article and I'm delighted that's high up in what we look for in players now.

“Peter Haring see this as a great opportunity being at Hearts and it’s that drive and hunger that you see from him.”

8 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Not saying it held us back in the Championship but in most other seasons it has. It gives a team great confidence having a striker who knows where the goal is.

Shankland hasn’t scored a goal in the top level of Scottish football. I’ll take a first choice international striker who’s commanded transfer fees of £2.5M over a potential Gavin Reilly/James Keatings any day of the week. 

John mcCartney
10 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Not so easy to score for an Ayr team who were underdogs in every game though. 

ooft !

YouLetYourClubDie
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

There are obviously exceptions to the rule but there is a reason players who score a shit ton of goals move for the big money. They are so invaluable. I hope a higher level club signs Shankland soon so that we can see what he can do.

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Shankland hasn’t scored a goal in the top level of Scottish football. I’ll take a first choice international striker who’s commanded transfer fees of £2.5M over a potential Gavin Reilly/James Keatings any day of the week. 

He scored against us the other week. 

Are we not in the top level of scottish football?

Just now, Sagan said:

He scored against us the other week. 

Are we not in the top level of scottish football?

Betfred Cup group stage. The top level is the Premiership. His goals there amount to 0. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

There are obviously exceptions to the rule but there is a reason players who score a shit ton of goals move for the big money. They are so invaluable. I hope a higher level club signs Shankland soon so that we can see what he can do.

Better be soon. He'll be 25 this time next year with no top flight football experience.

YouLetYourClubDie
3 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

No reason why we couldn't have signed both. FWIW i think Washington will turn out to be a good signing. 

YouLetYourClubDie

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Betfred Cup group stage. The top level is the Premiership. His goals there amount to 0. 

How many goals did our strikers score in the Betfred group stage?

2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

That's utter nonsense. 

YouLetYourClubDie
14 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

And when Shankland was banging them in for Ayr they got nowhere. 

Im glad we haven’t signed him as I think Washington will be a great signing. 

They made the play offs which given they have been in the 3rd tier for donkeys years is a damn good achievement. 

1 minute ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

No reason why we couldn't have signed both. FWIW i think Washington will turn out to be a good signing. 

No reason? 

CL saying we’re after another one or two players. We have a budget. Why waste it on an unproven striker?

1 minute ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

How many goals did our strikers score in the Betfred group stage?

We won the group. 

They finished 3rd in a group that included East Fife, Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Lawrence Shankland could become our best player never to play for us since Tommy Wright was our best manager never to manage us.

4 minutes ago, Sagan said:

That's utter nonsense. 

What is? The fact that he hasn’t scored a goal at the top level of Scottish football or what you spout? 

YouLetYourClubDie
4 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

No reason? 

CL saying we’re after another one or two players. We have a budget. Why waste it on an unproven striker?

I doubt Shankland would have cost much in wages and we could have loaned Wighton or Maclean to free up money. 

The Internet
Just now, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Are we going to go into meltdown every time this boy scores. 

We are in permanent meltdown over the great one regardless of whether he's scoring or playing. We shan't hear the end of it until such time as Fleetwood or the like sign him. 

3 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

What is? The fact that he hasn’t scored a goal at the top level of Scottish football or what you spout? 

The fact that you don't think we try if we're playing in the league cup. 

YouLetYourClubDie
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Better be soon. He'll be 25 this time next year with no top flight football experience.

Still plenty time👍 

3 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

I doubt Shankland would have cost much in wages and we could have loaned Wighton or Maclean to free up money. 

Thank Christ the schools go back next week. 

5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

People see something in Wighton, I have not seen him play enough as much as I have Clare. 

The SPFL standard of football is challenging. Players need to work hard at a lot of aspects of being a professional footballer. Younger players need to have time to learn, and figure it all out. I heard Austin MacPhee on Clyde SSB about 2 years ago, he was saying that the central positions (GK, CB, CM, AM, Strikers/CF) are extremely difficult for younger players, whereas the wider positions are less difficult. So for Clare and Wighton, and the other younger Hearts players that are playing the central positions, I am ok that it takes a lot more time. 

So I am ok with Clare, don't know enough about Wighton, but I trust the Hearts coaching staff. They know a lot more than I do. 

You're ok with MacPhee is what you're saying and you take his word for it.

It might actually be possible that he's not that good. 

Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, Sagan said:

The fact that you don't think we try if we're playing in the league cup. 

You’ve lost me there😂

YouLetYourClubDie
Just now, Rudolf said:

Thank Christ the schools go back next week. 

I'm with you. Levein's signing record has been so so good that I have every faith in his decision to turn down Shankland 👍 I am sure we will unearth another gem like Wighton who couldn't get a game for Dundee for 250k before the window closes. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

At least Wighton has scored at a higher level. As has McLean obviously. Neither of them were happy staying at a lower level and both jumped at the chance to join a bigger club.

Also, do you not remember the standard of goalies and defenders in the Championship. Abysmal for the most part. I've never seen us score so many goals from outside the box in one season. The space attacking players got and the huge difference in goalkeeping quality was very obvious. That's why it's a much bigger step up than maybe you appreciate. OK Shankland snatched a goal vs us but his overall play was very poor in that game. He looked very out of his depth.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Sagan said:

You're ok with MacPhee is what you're saying and you take his word for it.

It might actually be possible that he's not that good. 

Just saying. 

Good enough to score in the Premiership. Unlike Shankland.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Good enough to score in the Premiership. Unlike Shankland.

We could dig up jimmy saville and appoint him as head coach and you would back him to the hilt. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Sagan said:

We could dig up jimmy saville and appoint him as head coach and you would back him to the hilt. 

giphy.gif