Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

been here before

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Oh dry your eyes big boy

Sometimes some posts just speak for themselves.

Other words just arent required.

Edited by been here before

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

been here before
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

All prolific goal scorers them like

Do keep up. Theyre not my examples. Take it up with the OP.

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nah no top team came in for you

Whoooooooosh.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Sometimes some posts just speak for themselves.

Other words just arent required.

Like pissing into the wind sometimes! 

I'm convinced 90% of Kickback are at the windup these days!  Fun though :lol:

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Do keep up. Theyre not my examples. Take it up with the OP.

Whoooooooosh.

That Whoooosh is going over your head ya clown !

been here before
3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Scored about 2 goals between them ffs

Cool. Take it up with the OP then.

been here before
3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Like pissing into the wind sometimes! 

I'm convinced 90% of Kickback are at the windup these days!  Fun though :lol:

Aye....

You worry some of them are grown ups...

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That Whoooosh is going over your head ya clown !

Maroon Sailor
Just now, been here before said:

Aye....

You're the biggest bairn on here

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye....

They're fairly easy to spot at Tynecastle. They're the ones going mental after the first kick that goes into touch! 

I notice my comment about no top teams going in for him has gone completely unnoticed :lol:

Obviously no response from the sea for that one! 

Edited by tian447

If Shankland was a Hearts player, how many of these guys would you pick ahead of him... Uche, Washington, MacLean, Keena, Wighton? He would have been competing for a starting place easily.

Rocky jamboa
11 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

We took a punt on the likes of Martin, Wighton and Bikey. Just let that sink in. 

Quite why we wouldn’t take a punt on This lad is baffling. Unless he has personal issues it’s crazy not to 

I thought you were initially mentioning the other three as a reason for not taking a punt on shankland! 

Sounds like he's getting decent wages at United (from reading other posts) so maybe his wage demands scared teams off. 

Blackford Hearts
16 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Just like wee Shankland then :whistling:

I assume you set up the goals as well as scoring them? 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I assume you set up the goals as well as scoring them? 😂😂😂

I'm a masterclass on the 5s pitch mate.  Could be up front on any team! :lol:

Alex Kintner

If we include his four goals today and his goals in the earlier rounds of the League Cup then a quick calculation tells me that still equals no goals in the top flight.

Bottom line is he will score plenty goals at Championship level and will probably score a few at our level but he would have been a risky signing and Levein has very little margin for error.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
18 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

If we include his four goals today and his goals in the earlier rounds of the League Cup then a quick calculation tells me that still equals no goals in the top flight.

Bottom line is he will score plenty goals at Championship level and will probably score a few at our level but he would have been a risky signing and Levein has very little margin for error.

Scored 1 against us and 4 against a decent Inverness side all the while Washington so far looks like he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. I'm aware Washington needs time to settle and may come good but Shankland would have probably made our league cup matches a lot easier. Think the bigger gamble is going for a striker who seems to have lost his ability to shoot 

portobellojambo1

I read something towards the end of last season and again during the close season that Shankland wanted to go to a team where he was guaranteed football games. I doubt that is something any top level club, including us, could guarantee. I'm also not sure if he is full time at Dundee United or if he is still working at whatever his profession is, as again I read somewhere that it was through his non football work that he was making good money. A top league club probably would have been looking for him to become a full time player, and he may not have wanted that. You may well find that he could score an awful lot of goals in the league he is in but if they get promoted look for another club, maybe a bit like James Keatings, who seems to perform better one division down.

Edited by portobellojambo1

OmiyaHearts

Doesn't matter what level it is, I'd take a guy who scored 30 goals over a guy who scored 0 any day. You can bet that Washington is being paid a fair bit more than we'd had to pay Shankland.

But who are we to question the clubs fantastic signing policy?

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Scored more Tynecastle goals this season than any Hearts striker. That’s an even quicker calculation as there’s a lot of 0s there. Probably will still be the case come Christmas!

Sorry, my cynicism has gone into overdrive, it’s match day 1 and I’ve already lost the will to live. I don’t ever remember starting a season with less hope. 

Finlay James
15 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Doesn't matter what level it is, I'd take a guy who scored 30 goals over a guy who scored 0 any day. You can bet that Washington is being paid a fair bit more than we'd had to pay Shankland.

But who are we to question the clubs fantastic signing policy?

The fact that no other club at our level or above touched him says a lot.

Lawrence Shankland is unknown at our level and seems to lack some attributes to be worth taking the risk on. Meanwhile, we have signed an international striker who has played regularly at championship level in England and has a scoring record of roughly 1 in every 3 games.

I know which I'd prefer and I'd also take Craig Leveins expert opinion over the JKB massive every day of the week.

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

The fact that no other club at our level or above touched him says a lot.

Lawrence Shankland is unknown at our level and seems to lack some attributes to be worth taking the risk on. Meanwhile, we have signed an international striker who has played regularly at championship level in England and has a scoring record of roughly 1 in every 3 games.

I know which I'd prefer and I'd also take Craig Leveins expert opinion over the JKB massive every day of the week.

So why did no Championship club try and get Washington, leaving him to come to Scotland to get a game? 

Finlay James
5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

So why did no Championship club try and get Washington, leaving him to come to Scotland to get a game? 

How do you know that's the case?

Maybe he wanted a complete change or the prospect of working with his NI colleagues Smith and McPhee?

Whatever the case, Im delighted he's signed.  I'd have been equally delighted if we'd signed Shankland but if the club feel he's not right for us at our level then I trust them and their judgement.

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

How do you know that's the case?

Maybe he wanted a complete change or the prospect of working with his NI colleagues Smith and McPhee?

Whatever the case, Im delighted he's signed.  I'd have been equally delighted if we'd signed Shankland but if the club feel he's not right for us at our level then I trust them and their judgement.

I know it's the case in the same way you know that no top flight team went in for Shankland.

Btw I dont think Washington is a bad signing but I believe Shankland would have been good value for money.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

been here before
12 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I hear that the Barcelona fans are demanding the resignation of Ernesto Valverde for not taking a punt on him.

Aye but, but, but... how do you know Barcelona never went for him?

Five to One
10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Every single club on the planet except Dundee United is in the same boat, so maybe we shouldn't act like it's particularly lax of Hearts.

Anyone following Hearts over the past couple of seasons knows we’re desperately in need of a prolific goal scorer. Shankland was the the obvious choice and available. The fact there wasn’t interest from other PL teams makes it even more surprising. No idea what United are paying him, but surely we could have tabled a similar or improved offer. 

upgotheheads
17 minutes ago, Five to One said:

Anyone following Hearts over the past couple of seasons knows we’re desperately in need of a prolific goal scorer. Shankland was the the obvious choice and available. The fact there wasn’t interest from other PL teams makes it even more surprising. No idea what United are paying him, but surely we could have tabled a similar or improved offer. 

I heard that they're paying him £3,000 a week, that's Ayr pub talk, but it's sounds  a lot to me . I can't believe we would have been prepared to pay him that much. The lack of interest from other SPL clubs is significant, there must be a consensus that he's not  SPL standard but I'm expecting Dundee United to be promoted so time will tell.

Allowayjambo1874

Apparently Dundee Utd are paying him ‘phenomenal’ money for a championship team, I’ve no idea what that means but suspect it’ll be above what lower end spl teams can afford.

As fans we can surely question the signing policy of our club rather then meekly accept every decision as the right one?

In this instance it is surely reasonable to compare a striker we’ve signed (Washington) who has been playing at a much higher level but in last 2 season has made 52 league appearances and scored 6 goals against a striker we possibly could have signed who whilst playing at a lower level in the same period has made 62 appearances but scored 50 goals. 

The argument around no other other team at our level went in for him doesn’t hold water imo after all John McGinn went to hibs from St Mirren and they weren’t competing for his signature from other clubs at that level and look what happened there.

And given our recent history with players citing he’s an international is an incredibly weak argument. 

Personally I understand that we need to take a punt at times particularly on forwards what I cannot get my head round is that punt is always on strikers who are not prolific and when one came up that is scoring for fun we passed on it.

Hopefully one of our strikers will come good and this all becomes academic but it’s still acceptable for people to question signings and what is going on at the club.

Edited by Allowayjambo1874

A_A wehatethehibs

This entire thread and conversation boils down to the fact that Hearts have been terrible in front of goal for all of 2019 so far. 

A goal for Uche, Naismith, Washington or Maclean today would be a great tonic. Someone needs to hit goalscoring form soon or this thread will probably end up lasting the whole season because Shankland will score every week. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

14 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Apparently Dundee Utd are paying him ‘phenomenal’ money for a championship team, I’ve no idea what that means but suspect it’ll be above what lower end spl teams can afford.

As fans we can surely question the signing policy of our club rather then meekly accept every decision as the right one?

In this instance it is surely reasonable to compare a striker we’ve signed (Washington) who has been playing at a much higher level but in last 2 season has made 52 league appearances and scored 6 goals against a striker we possibly could have signed who whilst playing at a lower level in the same period has made 62 appearances but scored 50 goals. 

The argument around no other other team at our level went in for him doesn’t hold water imo after all John McGinn went to hibs from St Mirren and they weren’t competing for his signature from other clubs at that level and look what happened there.

And given our recent history with players citing he’s an international is an incredibly weak argument. 

Personally I understand that we need to take a punt at times particularly on forwards what I cannot get my head round is that punt is always on strikers who are not prolific and when one came up that is scoring for fun we passed on it.

Hopefully one of our strikers will come good and this all becomes academic but it’s still acceptable for people to question signings and what is going on at the club.

Pretty sure paper talk was we were interested in McGinn along with a few English clubs. He chose hibs. 

Arthur Morgan
6 hours ago, Sagan said:

Our scouting is dug shite. 

What about the other Prem teams scouts? Obviously none of their scouts thought he was good enough either. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

What about the other Prem teams scouts? Obviously none of their scouts thought he was good enough either. 

Ours is though. (Not based on shankland) so many failures in recent times .

The success stories Naismith, Berra, souttar, Lafferty were hardly punts. Everyone knows there was a player there, a known quantity.

Only gamble I think has paid off would be haring?

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Sagan said:

Our scouting is dug shite. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ffs, I could scout Shankland, Hardy any scouting needed, every one Scotland knows what he's about. 

Bazzas right boot
On 04/08/2019 at 00:15, 1971fozzy said:

We are in that kind of market which CL has already confirmed. Win some , lose some.

I think this lad would of been worth a punt

Totally disregarding the player's interests imo. 

Shankland has signed for a team Likley paying more than all but 6 of the top teams, so money would have been a factor. 

He also might have wanted to be a guaranteed starter, which he is. 

So he's got decent money and first team football. 

Not sure anyone else would have matched that. He'd Likley have had to sacrifice game time for money if the rumours where true. 

We might have shown an interest, but as with every transfer, the player and other clubs will have an Influence on what would have happened.

Shankland imo will be thinking he will be in the top flight with Utd next season. 

We can then see if we did miss out or he's another wyness / Reilly type player. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ffs, I could scout Shankland, Hardy any scouting needed, every one Scotland knows what he's about. 

That's what makes it worse. 

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

I know by posting I keep this thread active but jeezo, let it go😉

This thread will be going the whole season long if our number 9 does not hit goalscoring form. He did look promising against Aberdeen though, let’s hope he gets his first goal against Ross County 

doctor jambo
3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

The success stories Naismith, Berra, souttar, Lafferty were hardly punts. Everyone knows there was a player there, a known quantity.

There have been others- Adao springs to mind

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

There have been others- Adao springs to mind

has he not been released. we could do worse than adao to add a bit combat to the midfield tbh

Sexton Hardcastle

Had he signed and not scored a brace every game he would have been considered a failure.

Get over it already.

Arthur Morgan
12 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Yeah I would agree tbh. 

YouLetYourClubDie

I wonder how many Shankland will score tonight. I am going for a double. Still having half the folk on here saying he is shite though.

Just now, YouLetYourClubDie said:

I wonder how many Shankland will score tonight. I am going for a double. Still having half the folk on here saying he is shite though.

Media should ask every Premiership manager- "why did you not sign Shankland?"

been here before
3 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Cool. Im impressed and Im sure others are too.

Well done, some man.

YouLetYourClubDie
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Media should ask every Premiership manager- "why did you not sign Shankland?"

Probably because Dundee Utd offered more money than half the Premiership teams. McIness released him which ruled out Aberdeen which only leaves us and Hibs.