End of season Craig Levein poll

Geoff Kilpatrick

End of season Craig Levein poll  

1,159 members have voted

1. 1. Should HMFC appoint a new first team manager in the close season?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Ah the old injury conundrum. Funny that you want me to answer that but don’t seem to be to bothered that our manager hasn’t had an answer for it ??‍♂️. Few times you’ve dug me out on it. Am not the manager, am not paid by hearts to over come such obstacles but I’d maybe ditch the scatter gun recruitment policy and recruit potential problem areas as a starter. To be fair to the manager he seems to be taking that approach this year, Halkett coming in instead of relying on loan players like Dunne/Smith Brown/Leeds guy etc is a sensible solution. It sounds like we are also looking to recruit a keeper, another striker and a replacement for Djoum, which will help. He’s somehow managed to have stumbled onto a solution to our long standing left back problem with Hickey. He’s also stumbled onto Edwards giving us that energy to play the press he played at the start of the season, mental to think that he only got a game when the games meant nothing and managed to work his way into the cup final side. So I’d be surprised to see huge numbers come into the club, which is a good thing. Instead of using the injury problems we faced last season, along with every other club, as an excuse I’d be more concerned that it was allowed to derail us so dramatically and my point was that I hope this season we have a better plan.  But again, am not the manager and am certainly not paid to make those decisions. The only actual injury we didn’t have a like for like replacement for at the club is Naismith and it’s embarrassing how much it affected us. Rangers lost Kent, Morelos, Arfield, Goldson etc and still managed to perform. Celtic lost Christie, Ntcham, Eduaord, Rogic, Boyata, Tierney etc and still won the treble. Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie etc all had injuries and managed to survive. Like I’ve said, we should’ve handled it better. That’s not to say it didn’t effect us as it clearly did, my point is I hope this coming season we handle it better and don’t allow it to become an excuse for another shambles of a season. 

It's not a conundrum and I'm not trying to put you on the spot.  How does ANYONE manage to put out a settled team/formation when you get players injured - and your most influential players at that?   Unless we have like-for-like replacements (which we can't afford anyhow) waiting patiently on the bench until the next key player gets injured, there is no obvious solution.  Even if we had, it is doubtful they would be match fit when called upon.

You try to aggravate things by using words like "stumbled upon" which merely give the show away about your motives.

Please tell everybody what the solution is.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Bridge of Djoum

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

So if you are familiar with more rough than smooth why the endless negativity? 

We all agree that performances and results are below what we should expect but there are mitigating factors that can't be ignored. This regime is the first one in living memory that is building for the long term. Shirley that deserves credit?

Because I want better? Because its been bad is it not human nature to want the good times to be more often?Building for the long term is great, Budge deserves praise for many things that she has accomplished bit is not exempt from criticism. Unfortunately football is about the here and now and Levein is the King of jam later, two 6th place finishes is unacceptable, no matter the excuses people trot out. I don’t  know who Shirley is ??‍♂️?.

Edited by Pasquale for King

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It's not a conundrum and I'm not trying to put you on the spot.  How does ANYONE manage to put out a settled team/formation when you get players injured - and your most influential players at that?   Unless we have like-for-like replacements (which we can't afford anyhow) waiting patiently on the bench until the next key player gets injured, there is no obvious solution.  Even if we had, it is doubtful they would be match fit when called upon.

You try to aggravate things by using words like "stumbled upon" which merely give the show away about your motives.

Please tell everybody what the solution is.

Did we not stumble onto it tho? Can you explain how a 16 year old is given the last game of the season and then makes the cup final starting 11? Was that part of the master plan or was it a find out of utter luck? Same with Edwards. My motivates are the same as yours, I want hearts to be successful. We have different opinions on how that can happen. It’s a new season so let’s hope that we have learned from last season. I don’t want Levein in the dug out, I think he’s far more effective in the DoF role. If he learns from the mistakes he made this season then am happy to be proven wrong. I can’t personally see it, a tiger never changes his stripes and all that. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

Did we not stumble onto it tho? Can you explain how a 16 year old is given the last game of the season and then makes the cup final starting 11? Was that part of the master plan or was it a find out of utter luck? Same with Edwards. My motivates are the same as yours, I want hearts to be successful. We have different opinions on how that can happen. It’s a new season so let’s hope that we have learned from last season. I don’t want Levein in the dug out, I think he’s far more effective in the DoF role. If he learns from the mistakes he made this season then am happy to be proven wrong. I can’t personally see it, a tiger never changes his stripes and all that. 

That was not what I asked.

I asked you

HOW DOES ANYONE MANAGE TO PUT A SETTLED TEAM/FORMATION WHEN YOU GET PLAYERS INJURED - AND YOUR MOST INFLUENTIAL PLAYERS AT THAT? Please don't evade the question or try to take things in a different direction.  Quite a simple question.

We all want Hearts to do well. not just you, but sometimes there are reasons/circumstances that come into play when we fall short.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

That was not what I asked.

I asked you

HOW DOES ANYONE MANAGE TO PUT A SETTLED TEAM/FORMATION WHEN YOU GET PLAYERS INJURED - AND YOUR MOST INFLUENTIAL PLAYERS AT THAT? Please don't evade the question or try to take things in a different direction.  Quite a simple question.

We all want Hearts to do well. not just you, but sometimes there are reasons/circumstances that come into play when we fall short.

That’s the MANAGERS JOB to figure out. It’s his job to have a back up plan and not simply just blame the injuries. A better summer recruitment plan would’ve helped, replacing Lafferty would’ve helped, a better pre season not involving 1970’s running up and down sand dunes, changing shape to have more balance in the team, playing to the strengths of the squad you have not just simply changing the personnel and hoping for the best, not playing Craig Wighton, the list is endless as to how we could’ve coped better. Gerrard coped without Morelos, Rodgers coped without Ntcham and so on and so on. We had no plan B. Like everything with Levein it’s all about what’s coming round the corner and excuses as to why it’s not here now. Murrayfield, not playing at tynie, Cathro’s squad, too many young players, too many injuries........it’s always something and never Leveins fault. Why are you so happy to just accept his excuses? Surely you can see he could’ve done things better? We’ve just finished back to back 6th. Second season running we’ve finished below hibs. We had an 11 point gap between us and hibs, we finished 3 points behind. Ended the season without a win in 8. We didn’t handle anything that came up in the season well, that buck stops at the managers door. 

Forever Hearts

Anybody else without Levein's Hearts background would have been chased after two 6th place finishes,  dire recruitment and performances that would get football stopped. His playing career with us (and the fact he has Ann Budge wrapped around his finger) has kept him in a job. 

11 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Achievable... 

If our team is good enough to have won at celtic Park, Ibrox and unbeaten v hibs it will likely means we are champions or very close to being so. 

Achievable - yes, Likley - no. 

The only reason it’s not Likely is because our management of the team isn’t up to the job.

It should be achievable and if our management and it’s backers don’t believe it possible 

they shouldn’t be at Hearts.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The only reason it’s not Likely is because our management of the team isn’t up to the job.

It should be achievable and if our management and it’s backers don’t believe it possible 

Nobody is saying it is not achievable. 

better_call_saul
9 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Hard to get my head round that comment.

Saying that CL and co aren't up to the job is your opinion and you're entitled to it etc, but I'm not sure what management team Hearts would be able to attract that would be able to make us a formidable side in Glasgow considering we have never consistently won there.

Killie getting in someone like Clarke was a stroke of luck. Aberdeen still took a gamble on McInnes after his failures at Bristol City. Even Lennon's success at Hibs turned sour very quickly and was booted out the door.

I'm not sure there are that many candidates out there that would appease your high standards.

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

1. Aberdeen have a significant advantage budget wise to ourselves and Hibs aren't that far behind us. A third place finish would be very good indeed, not merely acceptable. Minimum of achieving 3rd when we have finished 2nd twice in the last 30 years is not a fair minimum expectation. If we finished 2nd or 3rd it would be an incredible achievement, especially now that Rangers have sorted themselves out.

4. Celtic have lost one domestic game at Parkhead in three or four seasons and it directly led to Rangers missing out on 2nd place. Rangers, having spent £11m last summer didn't get a sniff of a win at Parkhead. Why would you expect us to win there at all? 

5. Rangers have lost one domestic match at Ibrox since March 2018. They comfortably disposed of Celtic in both Old Firm games. We have less than a quarter of their budget. Why would you expect Hearts to win 50% of our matches there?

I admire you enthusiasm but it is wholly unrealistic to hold a manager to these standards. Finishing 4th as a minimum, having two successful cup runs and coming out on top in the Edinburgh derby would be more realistic. 

You shouldn’t be looking at the past when a new season starts in July. It sounds like you’ve 

already raised the white flag.  Hearts management and it’s backers have to start having the 

same drive and ambition as Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean who had tiny budgets compared to Celtic and Rangers. When you think of our season in the Championship when we were beating Rangers and Hibs under Neilson to easily win the league it is true that out team has not kicked on and the impetus has been lost. Our fans are crying out for the team to challenge for honours playing attractive  attacking football which in my opinion should not be too hard in the SPL for a team that is meant to be the 3rd biggest team in Scotland.

8 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

And if you don't get it I'm sure you'll have even more fun telling us all about it on here. 

What joy.

''What I will accept''?:rofl:

You'll get what you're given. 

Ok mummy.

8 minutes ago, better_call_saul said:

Saying that CL and co aren't up to the job is your opinion and you're entitled to it etc, but I'm not sure what management team Hearts would be able to attract that would be able to make us a formidable side in Glasgow considering we have never consistently won there.

Killie getting in someone like Clarke was a stroke of luck. Aberdeen still took a gamble on McInnes after his failures at Bristol City. Even Lennon's success at Hibs turned sour very quickly and was booted out the door.

I'm not sure there are that many candidates out there that would appease your high standards.

OMG another one who has lost his ambition and is raising the white flag.

23 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Nobody is saying it is not achievable. 

Ok then let’s get it done this season. This is the start of Hearts getting back to where this club should be.

53 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Anybody else without Levein's Hearts background would have been chased after two 6th place finishes,  dire recruitment and performances that would get football stopped. His playing career with us (and the fact he has Ann Budge wrapped around his finger) has kept him in a job. 

Many believe this to be the case.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

I’d like to see: 

A settled formation. 

A consistent starting 11. 

Development of the youth players. 

A clear style of play, similar to what we seen in the cup final. Playing 3511/352 without a press is stupid, using Uche as a target man is also stupid. 

Improvement in our home form. 

A clear plan B if Plan A gets ruined by injuries or red cards. 

Less like for like subs. 

An end to the long throw ceremony. 

Doesn’t seem that much to ask for really.

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Ok then let’s get it done this season. This is the start of Hearts getting back to where this club should be.

I am sure that's what everyone is aiming for. 

Absolute Scenes

I’d like to see: 

A settled formation. 

A clear style of play, similar to what we seen in the cup final. Playing 3511/352 without a press is stupid, using Uche as a target man is also stupid. 

Less like for like subs. 

will agree with all of this except the last point - Craig Halkett has a very good throw, Livingston scored a lot of goals this season from their long throws and we have big enough guys to cause problems in the box

Byyy The Light

I’d like to see: 

A settled formation. 

Less like for like subs. 

Nailed it for me. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, better_call_saul said:

Is there any proof that he’s up to the job? Two reasonable successes first time round here and at United. Miserable failure at Leicester and Scotland and now with us.

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

will agree with all of this except the last point - Craig Halkett has a very good throw, Livingston scored a lot of goals this season from their long throws and we have big enough guys to cause problems in the box

Am happy for it to remain if it actually creates stuff for us, last season it created nothing. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Indeed.

Absolute Scenes
Just now, busby1985 said:

Am happy for it to remain if it actually creates stuff for us, last season it created nothing. 

yep

Some of the run ups from Smith you would be thinking the ball was going to fly across the other side and go straight out, it was that powerful - but it barely reached the 18 yard box :laugh:

better_call_saul
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is there any proof that he’s up to the job? Two reasonable successes first time round here and at United. Miserable failure at Leicester and Scotland and now with us.

That's not the point though.

Up to what? Doing something that no Hearts manager has done in generations?

CL should be set realistic targets and they/ he should be looked at in October depending on how we perform.

I have no doubt that if CL has the same start to the League Cup campaign as IC then he'll be out the door or back up to the expensive seats.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

That’s the MANAGERS JOB to figure out. It’s his job to have a back up plan and not simply just blame the injuries. A better summer recruitment plan would’ve helped, replacing Lafferty would’ve helped, a better pre season not involving 1970’s running up and down sand dunes, changing shape to have more balance in the team, playing to the strengths of the squad you have not just simply changing the personnel and hoping for the best, not playing Craig Wighton, the list is endless as to how we could’ve coped better. Gerrard coped without Morelos, Rodgers coped without Ntcham and so on and so on. We had no plan B. Like everything with Levein it’s all about what’s coming round the corner and excuses as to why it’s not here now. Murrayfield, not playing at tynie, Cathro’s squad, too many young players, too many injuries........it’s always something and never Leveins fault. Why are you so happy to just accept his excuses? Surely you can see he could’ve done things better? We’ve just finished back to back 6th. Second season running we’ve finished below hibs. We had an 11 point gap between us and hibs, we finished 3 points behind. Ended the season without a win in 8. We didn’t handle anything that came up in the season well, that buck stops at the managers door. 

Good post.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, better_call_saul said:

That's not the point though.

Up to what? Doing something that no Hearts manager has done in generations?

CL should be set realistic targets and they/ he should be looked at in October depending on how we perform.

I have no doubt that if CL has the same start to the League Cup campaign as IC then he'll be out the door or back up to the expensive seats.

You indicated that he was up to the job in your opinion though, I get asked for proof all the time but I've yet to see any showing Levein is up to it in 2019. Did Sergio not compete in Glasgow, Burley would’ve too, JJ did, Neilson did. Even Cathro did something Levein has never done and beat Rangers at Tynecastle.

better_call_saul
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

You indicated that he was up to the job in your opinion though, I get asked for proof all the time but I've yet to see any showing Levein is up to it in 2019.

Aye up to the standards of that Mitch character who feels that a minimum target should be a win at Ibrox and a win at Parkhead.

Nonsense.  

Mr Elwood P
21 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You shouldn’t be looking at the past when a new season starts in July. It sounds like you’ve 

already raised the white flag.  Hearts management and it’s backers have to start having the 

same drive and ambition as Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean who had tiny budgets compared to Celtic and Rangers. When you think of our season in the Championship when we were beating Rangers and Hibs under Neilson to easily win the league it is true that out team has not kicked on and the impetus has been lost. Our fans are crying out for the team to challenge for honours playing attractive  attacking football which in my opinion should not be too hard in the SPL for a team that is meant to be the 3rd biggest team in Scotland.

I am not giving up at all. My personal ambition is to see Hearts win the league in my lifetime. I wouldn’t set that as an expectation though. 4th and decent cup runs should be the minimum expedition. 3rd would be great. 2nd incredible. 1st would be unbelievable. It’s taken Rangers years to get back to 2nd and even then they struggled in both cups. Pragmatic realism from myself I’m afraid.

JamboGraham
23 hours ago, mitch41 said:

I want it all. Go for the treble and go unbeaten right through the season.

Now what will i accept this season coming: 

1. Minimun of finishing 3rd in the SPL.

2. League Cup finalists.

3. Scottish Cup Semi Finals.

4. Winning at least once at Celtic Park.

5. Winning at least once at Ibrox.

6. Being unbeaten by Hibs.

Now that should  be an achievable season for a Hearts manager.

A minimum league position is a false target, better to go for a points target, win ratio, etc. There are 228 matches in the league and 189 don't involve us. We have little to no impact on what everyone else achieves. In recent seasons 67-70 points will get 3rd place, but no guarantee.

LC Final and SC Semi-Final, so a repeat of this season in the cups? Arguably a reduction in delivery if we prioritise the secondary cup competition as the one we want to make the final in.

Winning at least once at Celtic Park or Ibrox - couldn't care less 3 points is the maximum for victory regardless of who you beat. As long as we meet our points target I wouldn't care for the breakdown of individual results.

Being unbeaten by Hibs - for the prize of bragging rights yes, but in terms of an overall season it has no more or less significance than any other match. I will accept that is probably a much easier statement for someone who doesn't live or work in Edinburgh or the Lothians.

17 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

yep

Some of the run ups from Smith you would be thinking the ball was going to fly across the other side and go straight out, it was that powerful - but it barely reached the 18 yard box :laugh:

He had a few in the cup final. We’d over load the back post and it wouldn’t get past Mulraney at the near post haha. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, better_call_saul said:

Aye up to the standards of that Mitch character who feels that a minimum target should be a win at Ibrox and a win at Parkhead.

Nonsense.  

High standards are good, sarcasm without emojis perhaps not so much as most folk don’t get it.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

But their long throw actually made it into the area it needed to be, Smiths attempt at Hampden was laughable. His technique and upper body strength are clearly not up to it, and obviously not worked on.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'd  like to see more of Craig's attacking mentality. We're some team when he's in this mood. But for some reason he loses confidence in his team at times. Only an opinion, BoD.

I don't really have any limits, other than effort.  Ok, I know fans don't have the ability of the players, but I do know, we would be exhausted after every game. That's all I really look for.  And if we're beaten by the better team, well... Shite happens.

Anyway, looking forward to next season.

C'mon Hearts! C'mon CL!

I’m not sure it was with attack in mind he played that way, it’s the best way to defend against them also as this season games has proved. Sit back and defend 0-3&0-5,press 1:0& 2x 1:2 and that glorious 4 nil in 2017.

Jim Panzee
38 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

genuine question - where do you think that should be in terms of league position?

historically, Hearts have averaged around 4th / 5th spot in the top flight.

JamboGraham
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

But their long throw actually made it into the area it needed to be, Smiths attempt at Hampden was laughable. His technique and upper body strength are clearly not up to it, and obviously not worked on.

So are you agreeing that we should continue to utilise a long throw as we have upgraded on our existing thrower?

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

genuine question - where do you think that should be in terms of league position?

historically, Hearts have averaged around 4th / 5th spot in the top flight.

Oh well. That means we need to stay 4th or 5th forever. ?

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

I disagree; it means that moving to a situation where we are consistently averaging 3rd place (for example) would be progress rather than a return to a historical norm.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

So are you agreeing that we should continue to utilise a long throw as we have upgraded on our existing thrower?

If we work on it and improve the technique of the taker it can be used now and then, against teams like Hibs who can’t deal with it.

I would rather when we are in and around the opposition box Smith doesn’t just lob it in or go backwards as he usually does and it ends up being hoofed to nobody in particular. 

JamboGraham
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

If we work on it and improve the technique of the taker it can be used now and then, against teams like Hibs who can’t deal with it.

I would rather when we are in and around the opposition box Smith doesn’t just lob it in or go backwards as he usually does and it ends up being hoofed to nobody in particular. 

Would it not just be easier to have Halkett take them going forward?

Pasquale for King
Just now, JamboGraham said:

Would it not just be easier to have Halkett take them going forward?

Is it him that takes them, I didn’t realise that. The problem is he’s extremely good in the air for his size. Berra unfortunately isn’t quite as good in the opposition box at winning headers, and only really Haring and Djoum are also dangerous but the balls are always aimed at Berra.

Jim Panzee
11 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

not at all. nothing wrong with high expectations. we all do it as our bums hit the seats just before the first whistle blows for the first game of the (league) season.

high expectations and (un) realistic expectations are what it's about. 

on average, your budget tends to have the major say on your final league league position. I can't see us doing better than 3rd or 4th based on that - anything else is an enjoyable bonus. expecting us to finish 3rd is slightly different to hoping we finish 3rd. 

JamboGraham
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is it him that takes them, I didn’t realise that. The problem is he’s extremely good in the air for his size. Berra unfortunately isn’t quite as good in the opposition box at winning headers, and only really Haring and Djoum are also dangerous but the balls are always aimed at Berra.

To be fair I was only going on the comment from @Absolute Scenes scenes earlier in the thread...agree on Berra; he gets himself into some excellent positions but he frequently manages to direct his headers at some rather 'unusual' angles...

Nookie Bear

If we can avoid the extensive injuries of last season then I see no single reason why we cannot challenge for the league. 

Absolute Scenes
49 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

:cornette:

rudi must stay
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

If we can avoid the extensive injuries of last season then I see no single reason why we cannot challenge for the league. 

I think top 3

Need more players of Naismith's quality in attack to challenge

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

:cornette:

Any other excuse for his laughable attempts at a LONG throw, he barely throws it a few yards intp the box on one the smallest pitches in the league. But you already know that.

Bull's-eye
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If it wasn't for the league structure itself, I'd tend to agree. 

And......

No live scrutiny of home games involving the bigots, hand picked referees for certain circumstances, incompetent refereeing full stop....

Changed my mind, 3rd is a league win for us.

Nookie Bear
Just now, Artful Dodger said:

If it wasn't for the league structure itself, I'd tend to agree. 

And......

No live scrutiny of home games involving the bigots, hand picked referees for certain circumstances, incompetent refereeing full stop....

Changed my mind, 3rd is a league win for us.

We were 6 points clear at the top before injuries kicked in last year, Craig has had another year in the job, the younger players are a year older and we are hopeful of recruiting well in the summer.

Referees didn't stop us being top of the league, injuries did.

3rd would be failure imo

Bull's-eye
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We were 6 points clear at the top before injuries kicked in last year, Craig has had another year in the job, the younger players are a year older and we are hopeful of recruiting well in the summer.

3rd would be failure imo

Prepare for disappointment. 

3rd is a good season but that should be our natural place in the medium term. 2nd would represent an exceptional season at any time. The only chance you have of winning the league is if more teams took points of each other on a regular basis. 

This is classic close season fantasist chat though and I say that as someone who has indulged in the same most summers!

We were a wholly representative 6th last season and next season we need to see less quantity more quality in the squad (it needs trimmed) and more of our young players. Hickey, Irving and Smith showed more ambition in a handful of games than many of their senior colleagues. Give them a chance and let them take chances, don't be burdening them with you need to be doing this and that when we are defending let them play. A team set up to play more football through midfield transition is made for our younger players but it will take time and fans need to be patient with young players making mistakes when they are intrinsically trying to do the right (and often brave) thing. 

maidstonejambo
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

3rd would be failure imo

Referees played their part..

St Johnstone: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/st-johnstone-2-hearts-2-jam-tarts-denied-by-controversial-penalty-1-4840005

Rangers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46333044

Two real sucker punches at a time when we really needed those points to regain our confidence and kick on.