End of season Craig Levein poll

Geoff Kilpatrick

End of season Craig Levein poll  

1,159 members have voted

1. 1. Should HMFC appoint a new first team manager in the close season?

• Yes
    • No

Inch Hearts
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

No major injuries is he key. 

Other teams are weaker and we are a year forward in our development. The Cup Final showed we can take in celtic in Glasgow as well. 

Pro-Levein always say it was injuries that cost us. Without them I’m expecting 2nd place at least. 

No more excuses. 

You’ve twisted my arm.

No injuries - no excuses.

Celtic worse, Rangers just as shite, Aberdeen losing their captain and signing Curtis Main, Hibs being Hibs Killie losing Clarke.

Last season showed we are better than the majority without injuries kicking in.  We will have a clean bill of health come kick off time plus a couple of additions too.  Second at least should be the aim, there is no excuses as last season showed before injuries how good this squad is. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Bridge of Djoum

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

I'm optimistic we'll make a few very good signings. As you mentioned above we're another year forward in our development. I think we'll finish above Aberdeen in third. I'd love it if we can challenge The Rangers for second.

If we keep our key players fit then there’s little excuse not to.  We should be top two by Christmas at least going by last seasons form. 

4 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Agree. But history is a general indicator of a teams performance. Your last sentence is a better aspiration IMO

Thank you friend.

16 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

How do you think we put out a team to perform like Burley's with our current budget? 

Or Livingstons budget. By the way i was at Livingston when Neilson put out a team of kids

and we got a right hammering in front of a massive Hearts crowd in Livi's ground.

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Or Livingstons budget. By the way i was at Livingston when Neilson put out a team of kids

and we got a right hammering in front of a massive Hearts crowd in Livi's ground.

So was I. Still doesn't answer the question though.

Inch Hearts
27 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

So was I. Still doesn't answer the question though.

Ask George Burley?  He changed it round from Leveins style with a few months of Robbo the last time. 

frankblack
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Ask George Burley?  He changed it round from Leveins style with a few months of Robbo the last time. 

Irrelevant   Burley had a few million quid spent on the team.  Its amazing what a difference money makes.

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

How much did it cost him to do that? It might have helped make it easier that he was able to sign Bednar,Janny, Rudi, Fyssas, Brellier, Pospisil etc. 

I don't see that happening this summer tbh. 

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

So are we just completely disregarding the John Robertson tenure now? Burchill, Miller, Cesny, Miko etc? Just so I'm clear. Burley took over from Levein?

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

How much did it cost him to do that? It might have helped make it easier that he was able to sign Bednar,Janny, Rudi, Fyssas, Brellier, Pospisil etc. 

I don't see that happening this summer tbh. 

You didn’t mention money.

We blew apart the championship on freebies and youth players playing good football.  Of course quality players make it easier but we have already shown, bar injuries last season we can top the table. 

Inch Hearts
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

So are we just completely disregarding the John Robertson tenure now? Burchill, Miller, Cesny, Miko etc? Just so I'm clear. Burley took over from Levein?

If you want to add in a few months between Romanov taking over and emptying Robbo and throw in a few loan players bash on pal. 

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

You didn’t mention money.

We blew apart the championship on freebies and youth players playing good football.  Of course quality players make it easier but we have already shown, bar injuries last season we can top the table. 

The players we used to blow apart the championship were higher calibre players than those at the majority of the teams we slaughtered. Same (relatively speaking) as when we blew apart the SPL in the early weeks of 2005.

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Irrelevant   Burley had a few million quid spent on the team.  Its amazing what a difference money makes.

Rangers spent a lot more than us in the championship and in the league the season Burley took over.  That didn’t stop us then. 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The players we used to blow apart the championship were higher calibre players than those at the majority of the teams we slaughtered. Same (relatively speaking) as when we blew apart the SPL in the early weeks of 2005.

And the players we have now are a higher quality or should be than the majority of the league we find ourselves in now aren’t they?  Surely that means we should set up a team to have a go playing good football like Robbie did in the league below? 

If you want to add in a few months between Romanov taking over and emptying Robbo and throw in a few loan players bash on pal. 

Well, aye. Unless you are suggesting we completely disregard that season? Personally I don't think expunging it from the records makes any sense. Robbo had the team set up very differently, and we looked a totally different team. Once again, it was the injection of a few quality attacking players that made the difference though.

And the players we have now are a higher quality or should be than the majority of the league we find ourselves in now aren’t they?  Surely that means we should set up a team to have a go playing good football like Robbie did in the league below? 

I don't think the majority of our players are higher quality than the rest of the league, at least not to the degree that our Championship players were, or our 2005 players were. Teams like Kilmarnock, Hibs and Aberdeen have some good quality loanees in their ranks, and in Aberdeen's case, a few better quality players in some positions. We do have some players ourselves however who are better than most in the league, such as Souttar, Naismith, Berra, Smith, Djoum and Haring.

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Well, aye. Unless you are suggesting we completely disregard that season? Personally I don't think expunging it from the records makes any sense. Robbo had the team set up very differently, and we looked a totally different team. Once again, it was the injection of a few quality attacking players that made the difference though.

Fair enough, I remember a topsy turvey season, us losing in extra time to a young shite Motherwell losing at home to Hibs and the end of the season having nothing to play for.  Lee Miller was very good mind you as was Miko. 

It was also the season of course that Levein walked out right before a match that had our support completely raging’ although is seen his point with new owners then Robbo being bumped. 

The reason its not remembered very well probably because of the season afterwards.  You’re right though, it was a very eventful season, we done well in the Scottish Semi too. 

11 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Fair enough, I remember a topsy turvey season, us losing in extra time to a young shite Motherwell losing at home to Hibs and the end of the season having nothing to play for.  Lee Miller was very good mind you as was Miko. 

It was also the season of course that Levein walked out right before a match that had our support completely raging’ although is seen his point with new owners then Robbo being bumped. 

The reason its not remembered very well probably because of the season afterwards.  You’re right though, it was a very eventful season, we done well in the Scottish Semi too. 

Topsy-turvey about covers it, aye. Show's how things can change drastically from season to season really. The two seasons before that we were third, and Aberdeen and Hibs were bottom six. Then that season itself, they finished joint third above us. The season after we finished second and lifted the Cup.

League table

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation[a]
1 Rangers 38 31 4 3 101 28 +73 97 Qualification for the Champions League third qualifying round
2 Celtic 38 31 4 3 98 26 +72 97 Qualification for the Champions League second qualifying round
3 Heart of Midlothian 38 18 9 11 57 51 +6 63 Qualification for the UEFA Cup first round
4 Kilmarnock 38 16 9 13 47 56 −9 57  
5 Dunfermline Athletic 38 13 7 18 54 71 −17 46
6 Dundee 38 10 14 14 50 60 −10 44 Qualification for the UEFA Cup first round

7 Hibernian 38 15 6 17 56 64 −8 51   8 Aberdeen 38 13 10 15 41 54 −13 49 9 Livingston 38 9 8 21 48 62 −14 35 10 Partick Thistle 38 8 11 19 37 58 −21 35 11 Dundee United 38 7 11 20 35 68 −33 32 12 Motherwell 38 7 7 24 45 71 −26 28 Spared from relegation[c]

League table

Pos
Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation[a] 1 Celtic 38 31 5 2 105 25 +80 98 Qualification for the Champions League group stage 2 Rangers 38 25 6 7 76 33 +43 81 Qualification for the Champions League third qualifying round 3 Heart of Midlothian 38 19 11 8 56 40 +16 68 Qualification for the UEFA Cup first round 4 Dunfermline Athletic 38 14 11 13 45 52 −7 53 5 Dundee United 38 13 10 15 47 60 −13 49   6 Motherwell 38 12 10 16 42 49 −7 46                       7 Dundee 38 12 10 16 48 57 −9 46   8 Hibernian 38 11 11 16 41 60 −19 44 Qualification for the UEFA Intertoto Cup second round[c] 9 Livingston 38 10 13 15 48 57 −9 43   10 Kilmarnock 38 12 6 20 51 74 −23 42 11 Aberdeen 38 9 7 22 39 63 −24 34 12 Partick Thistle 38 6 8 24 39 67 −28 26 Relegation to the Scottish First Division

League table

Pos
Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation[a] 1 Rangers 38 29 6 3 77 22 +55 93 Qualification for the Champions League third qualifying round 2 Celtic 38 30 2 6 85 35 +50 92 Qualification for the Champions League second qualifying round 3 Hibernian 38 18 7 13 64 57 +7 61 Qualification for the UEFA Cup first round 4 Aberdeen 38 18 7 13 44 39 +5 61   5 Heart of Midlothian 38 13 11 14 43 41 +2 50 6 Motherwell 38 13 9 16 46 49 −3 48                       7 Kilmarnock 38 15 4 19 49 55 −6 49   8 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 38 11 11 16 41 47 −6 44 9 Dundee United 38 8 12 18 41 59 −18 36 Qualification for the UEFA Cup second qualifying round 10 Livingston 38 9 8 21 34 61 −27 35   11 Dunfermline Athletic 38 8 10 20 34 60 −26 34 12 Dundee 38 8 9 21 37 71 −34 33 Relegation to the Scottish First Division

League table

Pos
Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation[a] 1 Celtic 38 28 7 3 93 37 +56 91 Qualification for the Champions League group stage 2 Heart of Midlothian 38 22 8 8 71 31 +40 74 Qualification for the Champions League second qualifying round 3 Rangers 38 21 10 7 67 37 +30 73 Qualification for the UEFA Cup first round 4 Hibernian 38 17 5 16 61 56 +5 56 Qualification for the UEFA Intertoto Cup second round 5 Kilmarnock 38 15 10 13 63 64 −1 55   6 Aberdeen 38 13 15 10 46 40 +6 54                       7 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 38 15 13 10 51 38 +13 58   8 Motherwell 38 13 10 15 55 61 −6 49 9 Dundee United 38 7 12 19 41 66 −25 33 10 Falkirk 38 8 9 21 35 64 −29 33 11 Dunfermline Athletic 38 8 9 21 33 68 −35 33 12 Livingston 38 4 6 28 25 79 −54 18 Relegation to the Scottish First Division

If you look at the four season period covering Levein to Valdas, then we are consistently in places 2-4, whilst Hibs and Aberdeen are yo-yoing all over the place. That is a part of why I am reluctant to useprevious season's as a barometer for where will finish next season tbh. We wobbled with the disruption of losing Levein, and we only survived a wobble when Burley and then Rix departed because we had the money to buffer ourselves.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry
Damn, the last three tables didn't copy correctly. Oh well, sorry. Not too nice on the eyes.

Inch Hearts

I’ve no idea what happened above but the season Robbo came in we finished 5th the end to the season was rubbish which included losing to Hibs at home and getting pumped off the sheep 3-0. 

Sorry, missed the line above the tables :lol:  I enjoyed the season before Craig left massively!  Sure that was the Bordeaux season.  Winning against Braga was outstanding too to get us in the Group stages all with Dennis Wyness in the team. :) 

Edited by Inch Hearts

JamboGraham
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Yes well we did play a weakened team with reserves like Simmons, Mole, McAllister ect.

So are you saying that if you choose to play a weakened team, or are forced to play a weakened team for some reason, it makes it more difficult to be unbeatable?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

You’ve twisted my arm.

No injuries - no excuses.

Celtic worse, Rangers just as shite, Aberdeen losing their captain and signing Curtis Main, Hibs being Hibs Killie losing Clarke.

Last season showed we are better than the majority without injuries kicking in.  We will have a clean bill of health come kick off time plus a couple of additions too.  Second at least should be the aim, there is no excuses as last season showed before injuries how good this squad is. 

Garuccio and Lee will be out! We didn’t have a clean bill of health at any point last season and it’s highly unlikely we will next season either. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Aye we were all gutted that we'd missed the chance of Petrofac Training Cup glory that night.

Especially in front of a massive crowd of around 2-3 thousand

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Garuccio and Lee will be out? we didn’t have a clean bill of health at any point last season and it’s highly unlikely we will next season either. 

Thats only a couple of tweaks needed here or there.  Seems to me you’re already looking for excuses as to why we can mount a serious challenge up the top of the Premier next season.  

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Thats only a couple of tweaks needed here or there.  Seems to me you’re already looking for excuses as to why we can mount a serious challenge up the top of the Premier next season.  

Nope, just pointing out two players that won’t be fit. I will leave the excuses to Levein and the folk who defend him.

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Aye we were all gutted that we'd missed the chance of Petrofac Training Cup glory that night.

Especially in front of a massive crowd of around 2-3 thousand

I'm gutted every time Hearts lose a game. I'm glad you're not. 

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nope, just pointing out two players that won’t be fit. I will leave the excuses to Levein and the folk who defend him.

?

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No, you're just getting your ammunition ready!  Some supporter, you.

The Treasurer
18 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I'm gutted every time Hearts lose a game. I'm glad you're not. 

Of course I hate seeing Hearts lose, but in the bigger picture that season, the Petrofac Training Cup was our lowest priority (as stated by the manager).

The team we put out that night reflected this.

So, much as I hate to see Hearts lose, I can't say it's the worst I've felt coming home from a game.

2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

They probably are - except when 4 or 5 of the key ones are out injured together.

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

They probably are - except when 4 or 5 of the key ones are out injured together.

Yep.  And now they are not out injured there can’t be an excuse for a all guns blazing attack minded approach to kick off the season with, on our way to the top 3 minimum.

Right? 

Watt-Zeefuik
14 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Even if that were true, the idea this Hearts team can compete is nonsense.

Okay, maybe I missed it and you've already responded, but here's the argument in very simple form.

- We dropped 5 points total before Halloween.

- We played better than the champs in the cup final

- The reason we fell off our form is because we had injuries to five very difficult to replace players

- We will be more resilient next season because the young players will be a year older and we will be signing to spot-fill in the summer rather than to nearly replace a team wholesale, as we were the previous summer

- Regardless, any league run would require getting lucky with injuries, obviously.

Additionally:

- Celtic are pulling back on spending and have Lennon, a much weaker manager than Rodgers, at the helm

- Rangers have shown little sign of being willing to splash the cash to try to close the gap

When I say we have a chance I mean there's maybe a 15-20% chance to win the league, which is higher than normal.

14 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Yep.  And now they are not out injured there can’t be an excuse for a all guns blazing attack minded approach to kick off the season with, on our way to the top 3 minimum.

Right? 

Wrong!

When players come back after lengthy spells out, it is not easy to hit the ground running.  They need to build up their match fitness.  Berra and Uche are the 2 best examples of this.  Neither has yet struck his early season form but if you don't play them they'll take much longer to get up to speed.

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Wrong!

When players come back after lengthy spells out, it is not easy to hit the ground running.  They need to build up their match fitness.  Berra and Uche are the 2 best examples of this.  Neither has yet struck his early season form but if you don't play them they'll take much longer to get up to speed.

Berra may not start next season and Uche will be fit and raring to go.

inchis right: we should be hitting the ground running.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

No, you're just getting your ammunition ready!  Some supporter, you.

Not at all, the ammo has been stocked up these last two years. I was just pointing out we wouldn’t be at full strength at the start of the season, and without being inundated with angry nonsense that teams rarely are these days. 

29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not at all, the ammo has been stocked up these last two years. I was just pointing out we wouldn’t be at full strength at the start of the season, and without being inundated with angry nonsense that teams rarely are these days. 

We wouldn't be the only club that has 2 injured at the start of the season.

The real problem arises when we have 4 or 5 longish term injuries to key players at the same time and the transfer window is closed - even if we had the money to hire adequate replacements.

But I think you know that already.  Eh?

PS - What would you have done, just as an example, to replace Naismith?

Nookie Bear
34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

well, Hickey has been touted on here as being better than Gary Naysmith, plus we have Aidy White.

Ollie Lee is very replaceable.

We will never be 100% injury free, but we should hopefully avoid the disasters of last season, and that is why i think we should be challenging.

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

well, Hickey has been touted on here as being better than Gary Naysmith, plus we have Aidy White.

Ollie Lee is very replaceable.

We will never be 100% injury free, but we should hopefully avoid the disasters of last season, and that is why i think we should be challenging.

Hickey has s still young and will need to handled carefully, who knows what will happen with White . I’m not the biggest fan of Lee and he should be fit in August. Here’s hoping we have a good start and a plan to deal with injuries when they occur.

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The real problem arises when we have 4 or 5 longish term injuries to key players at the same time and the transfer window is closed - even if we had the money to hire adequate replacements.

We’ve discussed this a few times eh ??

The problem when Naismith (and Uche)  was out was all we had to replace him with was Maclean and Wighton. Levein said himself he brought in 20 players to cover for injuries and suspensions. He tried to get Sow and also Vanacek so he knew we were light up front. The money spent on Wighton and Clare might’ve been better spent on a guy to help us immediately. He tried to get Milinkovic but didn’t succeed in getting anyone else of that calibre. When he went out again we still hadn’t rectified it, Vanacek ??‍♂️. Djoum was signed in September, you can get players outside the window.

As for what I would’ve done, probably played as we did in the final. I think with the injuries we had if he had went ultra defensive and managed to scrape points that ultimately would’ve seen us get closer to 3rd place it would’ve been acceptable. Getting to the cup final even with the route we had shows we can overlook certain things, if they work.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

Okay, maybe I missed it and you've already responded, but here's the argument in very simple form.

- We dropped 5 points total before Halloween.

- We played better than the champs in the cup final

- The reason we fell off our form is because we had injuries to five very difficult to replace players

- We will be more resilient next season because the young players will be a year older and we will be signing to spot-fill in the summer rather than to nearly replace a team wholesale, as we were the previous summer

- Regardless, any league run would require getting lucky with injuries, obviously.

Additionally:

- Celtic are pulling back on spending and have Lennon, a much weaker manager than Rodgers, at the helm

- Rangers have shown little sign of being willing to splash the cash to try to close the gap

When I say we have a chance I mean there's maybe a 15-20% chance to win the league, which is higher than normal.

Ambition and high standards, won’t catch on here ?. We’ve never had sustained success so we can’t do it obviously, call yourself a Hearts fan? Mediocrity rules, be thankful for the crumbs we get ??‍♂️.

ps you’re right in practically everything you’ve said and I’m allegedly the negative one ?.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve discussed this a few times eh ??

The problem when Naismith (and Uche)  was out was all we had to replace him with was Maclean and Wighton. Levein said himself he brought in 20 players to cover for injuries and suspensions. He tried to get Sow and also Vanacek so he knew we were light up front. The money spent on Wighton and Clare might’ve been better spent on a guy to help us immediately. He tried to get Milinkovic but didn’t succeed in getting anyone else of that calibre. When he went out again we still hadn’t rectified it, Vanacek ??‍♂️. Djoum was signed in September, you can get players outside the window.

As for what I would’ve done, probably played as we did in the final. I think with the injuries we had if he had went ultra defensive and managed to scrape points that ultimately would’ve seen us get closer to 3rd place it would’ve been acceptable. Getting to the cup final even with the route we had shows we can overlook certain things, if they work.

We can overlook everything if it works.

All we had was Wighton and McLean.  Who would you have had and at what cost?

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

You’re better than this Nookie ?

Not really :lol:

In all seriousness, it looks like Levein is staying on. All we have heard in 2019 is how badly those injuries affected our season and there was little he could have done to turn the tide. 

So...let’s assume we have better luck with injuries. What’s to stop us challenging like we were in that first quarter. 

Why are the pro-Levein campers on here not getting on board believing? Should we be accepting 4th place when we know what we are capable of?

Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Wrong!

But, all the squad will have a brilliant pre-season behind us ready to hit the ground running surely?  Naismith was very effective when he joined in Jan 18 having missed 18 months with Norwich through not being selected and injury, the rest of the squad aren’t coming back from long term injuries.

So, this upcoming season: injury free and top of the league playing expansive football, right? 

Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

We wouldnt.  Hubs and Aberdeen missed to of their most influential players until October. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

We can overlook everything if it works.

All we had was Wighton and McLean.  Who would you have had and at what cost?

“All” we had was similar in the final.  St up differently like that day.  

23 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think we started  the season positively but, when we encountered a bump in the road it looked like Levein lost his confidence in the team a bit. 

Ive noticed before that, when he has doubts, his teams go into a shell and we start on the back foot. 

I thought a lot of the interviews seemed negative and sometimes even admitted to not knowing what to do. It cannot have helped the confidence of the players. 

To be fair to you I think Levein actually admitted after one game we lost when we had most of our injuries that he realised after the game he probably hadn’t had enough faith in the players he had at his disposal and wrongly played more conservatively than we should have - with hindsight.

I’m sure someone will have it in a scrapbook.

He also admitted - in a different interview- that it was his responsibility during the injuries spell to find a way of getting through it but he hadn’t managed to - explaining that we had spent the whole pre-season setting up to play in the way that saw our unbeaten start and that having done that it was difficult to start playing a different way part way through a season.

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

“All” we had was similar in the final.  St up differently like that day.  

"all" was a quotation of the poster to whom I replied.

One of the main reasons we did so well in the Cup final was because CL had the courage of his convictions and trusted a 16 year old LB who snuffed out the threat from Scotland's PoY.  Maybe I shouldn't admit it but I would never have taken that risk.

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

"all" was a quotation of the poster to whom I replied.

One of the main reasons we did so well in the Cup final was because CL had the courage of his convictions and trusted a 16 year old LB who snuffed out the threat from Scotland's PoY.  Maybe I shouldn't admit it but I would never have taken that risk.

Perhaps we could have taken that kind of risk earlier in the season.  Hickey played two games before the final also.  He added to it of course but it was in main how we set up that gave us such joy in while against Celtic in the final.  Unfortunately despite not having Naisy, we set up alternatively for half the season before the final and it was piss poor.  Craig has the massive chance, probably the final chance of his managerial career to build on the final now though and Al, there’s no excuses left.