End of season Craig Levein poll

Geoff Kilpatrick

End of season Craig Levein poll  

1,159 members have voted

1. 1. Should HMFC appoint a new first team manager in the close season?

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’m forever an optimist where football is concerned. It doesn't take much to turn downs into ups...or ups into downs, in my experience. 

This is exactly how I see it too. Only the 33 seasons for me, but it’s rare for one season to mirror the one prior. If anything, Levein is actually quite unique in regards to finishing in a similar position each season, for better or worse.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Bridge of Djoum

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Is there a precedent of someone being sacked after back to back 6th placed finishes as I cant think of one? 

Tommy MacLean was sacked after one season where he finished 6th.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

This is exactly how I see it too. Only the 33 seasons for me, but it’s rare for one season to mirror the one prior. If anything, Levein is actually quite unique in regards to finishing in a similar position each season, for better or worse.

You could say the same about McInnes, they play the same percentage football and rely on free kicks and corners, it would appear both sets of fans are at least sick of the football and about 50% want change.

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’m forever an optimist where football is concerned. It doesn't take much to turn downs into ups...or ups into downs, in my experience. 

Last season it would’ve only taken us to turn a few losses into draws to end up further up the table. If he had went ultra defensive at some point when he couldn’t change anything else he would’ve been criticised but I think most of us would’ve understood why.

Fxxx the SPFL
47 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So what do these geniuses think of Levein Raymondo?

i beleive they are split 50/50 :whistling:

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You could say the same about McInnes, they play the same percentage football and rely on free kicks and corners, it would appear both sets of fans are at least sick of the football and about 50% want change.

Consistency can be a very good thing if you up the quality of the team. Back to back third place finishes and the group stages of the UEFA Cup are testimony to that.

Roland Rat
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Consistency can be a very good thing if you up the quality of the team. Back to back third place finishes and the group stages of the UEFA Cup are testimony to that.

Are you referencing the period 2002 to 2004? 

34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Sun said Sunderland would e tripled his wages to £900k, surely they’re not paying Jack Ross that much, and the Star said Rangers offered him less than what he was on. Where’s our resident dons when we need them?

Our resident Don doesn’t like that Sir Gio and myself amongst others know bits about his club. Sir Gio explained why he knows things previously if you read back. 

28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Tommy MacLean was sacked after one season where he finished 6th.

Tommy McLean was a ****ing dick and there were behind the scenes shit with him

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

That time has passed, the football is the same but the game has moved on. It’s much harder to get to the group stage now, 3rd place sees you back in  June for preseason and one our players weren’t too happy about allegedly.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
Just now, sadj said:

Tommy McLean was a ****ing dick and there were behind the scenes shit with him

Yeah I know I left that bit out.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Our resident Don doesn’t like that Sir Gio and myself amongst others know bits about his club. Sir Gio explained why he knows things previously if you read back. 

Must’ve missed that.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

i beleive they are split 50/50 :whistling:

Hahahaha so about the same as us dimwits then ?

6 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

Are you referencing the period 2002 to 2004? 

Sounds about right off the top of my head, yes. Whatever the seasons were, we had back to back third places, and we did well in Europe. If we manage to emulate that sort of consistency again, I’ll be happy. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If this poll is indicative of the support as a whole then Levein should stay. Pains me to say that because we're going nowhere with him but it's hard to claim that he's lost the crowd.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Must’ve missed that.

Sir Gio was at the start of the McInnes bit on here and the meltdown from the sheep was McGeough thread where he insisted i know nothing and was talking shit??‍♂️?

01FC183A-7B37-4214-BBB9-CC93B179ED48.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I know I left that bit out.

Well thats cheating to score a point , not acceptable...

C1772284-0E91-4552-8785-B64A23094F05.jpeg

With so many fans on JKBers wanting Levein sacked it doesn't look 

good for him IF things don't go right for him in the League Cup against

lower league clubs as well as the first 4 games in the league. Is Craig 

Levein able to spend every day of pre-season and be a full-time Manager 

with the players on the training ground instead of what he does now

that being a part-time manager.

Ann Budge is so quiet on the teams 2018-19 season and

the minimun of where she wants the club to finish this 

coming season. She will have to set out to her employees 

what is expected keeping in mind that the most important 

people to keep happy are the fans.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That time has passed, the football is the same but the game has moved on.

An oft trotted out nonsensical assertion that sounds insightful, but is really just a lot of piffle. ?

Roland Rat
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Sounds about right off the top of my head, yes. Whatever the seasons were, we had back to back third places, and we did well in Europe. If we manage to emulate that sort of consistency again, I’ll be happy. 

I'd suggest we are an incredibly long way off that. Given what we achieved in the first 10 games of the season, where we ended up finishing was ridiculous 

We've finished top 6 last 3 years but just made up the numbers each time. I think we've taken 5 or 6 points from 45 points available post split in the last 3 years. That's chronic stuff I'm afraid 

To all the JKBers who voted for Levein to stay what would be the 

minimum you'd accept this season from our team before you'd 

be in the Levein out camp.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

An oft trotted out nonsensical assertion that sounds insightful, but is really just a lot of piffle. ?

It's not piffle. You look at the way teams play - the number of passes they make, the number of touches they have, the way they use space on the pitch - and then compare it to 10 years ago. The numbers are completely different. Football has changed.

Bad Religion
1 minute ago, Roland Rat said:

I'd suggest we are an incredibly long way off that. Given what we achieved in the first 10 games of the season, where we ended up finishing was ridiculous 

We've finished top 6 last 3 years but just made up the numbers each time. I think we've taken 5 or 6 points from 45 points available post split in the last 3 years. That's chronic stuff I'm afraid 

Every single person on here agrees that our form has been terrible outwith the cup final and needs to improve. Why do you have to create new accounts to keep repeating the same shite that everyone knows?

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Well thats cheating to score a point , not acceptable...

C1772284-0E91-4552-8785-B64A23094F05.jpeg

Never off there to be honest

Bad Religion
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Sign players over the summer with enough quality to have a us challenging for 2nd (maybe) 3rd place. Maybe win a cup.

What do you want?

Roland Rat
8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

With so many fans on JKBers wanting Levein sacked it doesn't look 

good for him IF things don't go right for him in the League Cup against

lower league clubs as well as the first 4 games in the league. Is Craig 

Levein able to spend every day of pre-season and be a full-time Manager 

with the players on the training ground instead of what he does now

that being a part-time manager.

Ann Budge is so quiet on the teams 2018-19 season and

the minimun of where she wants the club to finish this 

coming season. She will have to set out to her employees 

what is expected keeping in mind that the most important 

people to keep happy are the fans.

What is she supposed to say? She states each year that we budget for top 4 and repeatedly we fail to meet that minimum performance expectation.  If we were in the hunt right up to the last day you could make allowances. Unfortunately we are failing to meet the minimum expectation levels by the best part of 20 points each year!! 20 points short of top 4 and people don't think that should never necessitate change 

Some fans nowadays are extremely easily pacified. Maybe some are so entrenched in the "we almost never had a club" mentality they'll just accept anything 

If he's still in charge next season the time for excuses is over 

6 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

I don’t think we are an incredibly long way of that level personally. Although Jamie bloody Walker ain’t gonna be the catalyst to getting there, that’s for sure. Two or three very good signings would have us competing at that level again, I reckon. 

I reckon we all but downed tools tools in the league after beating ICT. The Cup became the priority and we didn’t want to risk losing anymore of our pivotal players.

Roland Rat
5 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Every single person on here agrees that our form has been terrible outwith the cup final and needs to improve. Why do you have to create new accounts to keep repeating the same shite that everyone knows?

I think you are getting me confused with someone else. Quite a few people aren't happy and express discontent ?

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Football is completely different now compared to then, players are much faster and fitter. The game is therefore played at a much higher tempo. It can still be played in the way Mcinnes and Levein try to do it, unfortunately when teams get men behind the ball this style doesn’t work. Get the ball forward quickly, play on mistakes. Levein has consistently said his players didn’t move the ball quickly enough. Lennon wants Celtic to play much quicker with two strikers, it will work to an extent in our league but the ponderous nature of our midfield especially doesn’t help.

3 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

What is she supposed to say? She states each year that we budget for top 4 and repeatedly we fail to meet that minimum performance expectation.  If we were in the hunt right up to the last day you could make allowances. Unfortunately we are failing to meet the minimum expectation levels by the best part of 20 points each year!! 20 points short of top 4 and people don't think that should never necessitate change 

Some fans nowadays are extremely easily pacified. Maybe some are so entrenched in the "we almost never had a club" mentality they'll just accept anything 

Well said and to the point. 

Roland Rat
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I don’t think we are an incredibly long way of that level personally. Although Jamie bloody Walker ain’t gonna be the catalyst to getting there, that’s for sure. Two or three very good signings would have us competing at that level again, I reckon. 

I reckon we all but downed tools tools in the league after beating ICT. The Cup became the priority and we didn’t want to risk losing anymore of our pivotal players.

But the last 3 years we've just made up the numbers in the top 6. The points accumulation and the distance from top 3 (that's where we should be aiming , not top 4) suggests we are miles away 

If his idea of creativity extends to Jamie Walker then I must say I share your misgivings 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

Definitely.

16 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Totally agree. Usually followed by dinosaur comments. 

The game has moved on :rofl:

5 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Sign players over the summer with enough quality to have a us challenging for 2nd (maybe) 3rd place. Maybe win a cup.

What do you want?

I want it all. Go for the treble and go unbeaten right through the season.

Now what will i accept this season coming: 

1. Minimun of finishing 3rd in the SPL.

2. League Cup finalists.

3. Scottish Cup Semi Finals.

4. Winning at least once at Celtic Park.

5. Winning at least once at Ibrox.

6. Being unbeaten by Hibs.

Now that should  be an achievable season for a Hearts manager.

11 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Totally agree. Usually followed by dinosaur comments. 

The game has moved on :rofl:

Apparently the fitness levels of SPFL Premiership players is night and day compared to the SPL of 2004. Who knew? ?

Bull's-eye

Back in the real world.

I've been saying for months Mr Levein wouldn't be going anywhere, he's not. That's been obvious to see for 6 months or as soon as the mouthbreathers started howling for mass sackings etc.....

The only thing that was below par LAST season was the league finish and the pounds shillings and pence that go with it. The cup run will probably have offset that loss anyway. The CLUB as a whole is progressing quite marvellously and every Hearts supporter should be extremely happy with the progress made.

Can't wait for the new season to start tbh and really looking forward to seeing this squad of players coming together. 

I'm predicting good things this coming season.

Edited by Artful Dodger

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

2. League Cup finalists.

That's a pretty fair list after the time Levein has had.  I might adjust a bit to say qualification for Europe and a cup final would be a simpler way of staying it

There’s times on here where I honestly can’t tell if people are being serious. This idea that 2004 was the dark ages and players were waddling around in three quarter length shorts and v-neck jumpers; blootering medicine balls around the park, and today they are all a cross between Bolt and Joshua is utter insanity. ?

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Roland Rat
2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Back in the real world.

I've been saying for months Mr Levein wouldn't be going anywhere, he's not. That's been obvious to see for 6 months or as soon as the mouthbreathers started howling for mass sackings etc.....

The only thing that was below par LAST season was the league finish and the pounds shillings and pence that go with it. The cup run will probably have offset that loss anyway. The CLUB as a whole is progressing quite marvellously and every Hearts supporter should be extremely happy with the progress made.

Can't wait for the new season to start tbh and really looking forward to seeing this squad of players coming together. 

I'm predicting good things this coming season.

Quite happy to have a break from it for a month or so tbh as the football in recent months was dire. That said, hope springs eternal and like you I hope we have a good season ahead of us 

Surely you can see that finishing 6th back to back isn't considered good enough by many?

2 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

Quite happy to have a break from it for a month or so tbh as the football in recent months was dire. That said, hope springs eternal and like you I hope we have a good season ahead of us 

Surely you can see that finishing 6th back to back isn't considered good enough by many?

2nd is not good enough for me but sometimes I have to accept reality.

Roland Rat
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

2nd is not good enough for me but sometimes I have to accept reality.

I'd take 2nd over 6th then 6th 

Might consider it as progress and a step in the right direction ?

Spoiler

Here's a picture of Hearts players training way back in 2004. One of the first that was converted to full colour I believe.

pogba-fat-running.jpg

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

2. League Cup finalists.

Looks ok.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Qualify for Europe, win a trophy, generally be competitive, score goals.

The last is clearly the most important, really that's what we buy our tickets for. If that happens the other 3 become more likely

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

There’s times on here where I honestly can’t tell if people are being serious. This idea that 2004 was the dark ages and players were waddling around in three quarter length shorts and v-neck jumpers; blootering medicine balls around the park, and today they are all a cross between Bolt and Joshua is utter insanity. ?

None so blind as those that can’t see.

Do you see any Neil Lennon or Phil Stamp types kicking about nowadays? Anyone like De Vries, absolutely steaming the night before scoring 4 against Hibs and our most nights?

Players coming back over a stone overweight after a two month break? 

Players wearing fitness monitors in training and in games, being weighed weekly.

All aspects of the game have changed, and moved on I’m afraid.

There is a much higher demand on players physically,though CL knows this as they gave them a very tough pre season. 

The players ability to complete high intensity actions such as sprints, tackles, blocks, jumps have become even more important than how distances covered. 

Corners and free kicks also define more match winning moments than they used to. 

Our problems probably linked to not having players that can play the patient game.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-news-next-manchester-united-manager-next-job-manager-a8688671.html

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

None so blind as those that can’t see.

Do you see any Neil Lennon or Phil Stamp types kicking about nowadays? Anyone like De Vries, absolutely steaming the night before scoring 4 against Hibs and our most nights?

Players coming back over a stone overweight after a two month break? 

Players wearing fitness monitors in training and in games, being weighed weekly.

All aspects of the game have changed, and moved on I’m afraid.

Dont think there is anything wrong with our players’ fitness, or our training methods. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Dont think there is anything wrong with our players’ fitness, or our training methods. 

We were out on our feet in the top six again. The purpose of training is to work on what we want to do on the pitch, do you think that was a success?

JamboGraham
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

With respect the question presented wasn't "do you want Levein to stay?" The OP very deliberately asked a question that attempted to get us all to think a little wider than that.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

750k is more than you and I earn, put together!

I asked an Aberdeen fan and he said it’s true, they’re wage bill is just over £8m. I’m still struggling to actually believe it ?.