***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

tolcross lad
22 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Contracts are there to protect both parties, not just the player. 

In all my time dealing with various employment issues, I've never had an HR Director say "it's just how it is sometimes". 

I take your point about players being well protected in general but not if they want to leave & the club has done nothing to start the process. 

"you dont figure in our plans" as per Martin who dug his heels in and swannied off to his South of France home whenever he could.i dont have much experience of employment issues but can see how off loading Lee could cost us.He might all things considered do a Martin and Swannie off to essex or wherever as often as he can and remain with us.Maybe depends on the wife the money the desire to play football or goodness knows what.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

I see O'Hara as a slightly better version of Ross Callachan. Someone who'll run around a lot and score about 4 goals a season.

I'll be disappointed if he's our midfielder.

Edited by DC_92

2 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

"you dont figure in our plans" as per Martin who dug his heels in and swannied off to his South of France home whenever he could.i dont have much experience of employment issues but can see how off loading Lee could cost us.He might all things considered do a Martin and Swannie off to essex or wherever as often as he can and remain with us.Maybe depends on the wife the money the desire to play football or goodness knows what.

Circumstances with Martin were completely different as it was the club, not the player, that made it crystal clear that he wouldn't feature again. We'd have no other option other than to pay his contract up as we wanted him to leave. 

Jamboscanbevicius
11 minutes ago, sadj said:

No iain is fine your just an impossible case.

Its sadiq thank you , prof says so!! However on the post , i’m sure you are well aware thats not what im saying so don’t be a smartarse. Footballers are well protected and its not always a case of employment law works the same. If it was you could sack a player for being shit at their job. Agents are there to make money too , the whole point is if he leaves for Southend it WILL NOT guarantee his whole wage is there to use on someone else this year. Football behind the scenes just is not like that

No worries sadiq. You sure sound like you have a thorough understanding of employment law and experience of player-club negotiations, so we’ll definitely take your word for it! 👍🏻

Mark O'Hara, at least we're getting in real quality now. Quality over quantity, just as we were expecting. 

Just now, innerjambo said:

Mark O'Hara, at least we're getting in real quality now. Quality over quantity, just as we were expecting. 

Yeh, absolute quality. Just what we need. What a signing.

1 minute ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

No worries sadiq. You sure sound like you have a thorough understanding of employment law and experience of player-club negotiations, so we’ll definitely take your word for it! 👍🏻

Be a bellend all ya want , no point engaging with you obviously. I have enough knowledge of football to tell ya its unlikely if he leaves we will have his full wage left for the season towards another player. Go argue with yourself though. I’m out.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Don't think they had anything to do with it. All done by UEFA now.

Working out well for them 

SpruceBringsteen
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Is Mark O'Hara good? I honestly cant remember him doing much, or playing against him

One of these guys that I've heard/been told is a good player, but seen absolutely zero evidence of it.

I struggle to see why people are so enthusiastic over O'Hara, an ordinary midfielder in bottom 6 Scottish teams who has failed down south and was loaned out to League Two last season. Utterly uninspiring. 

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Is Mark O'Hara good? I honestly cant remember him doing much, or playing against him

Aye he's amazing, he scored 2 goals against Rangers on the TV a few year ago.

9 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Circumstances with Martin were completely different as it was the club, not the player, that made it crystal clear that he wouldn't feature again. We'd have no other option other than to pay his contract up as we wanted him to leave. 

It was different but it just isn’t that simple with football contracts. As Iv said if he leaves for Southend its very unlikely we would have his full wage available for someone else. Southend should be able to offer at least the same wage o you’d hope we’d have the bulk of it available but again its dependent on a number of things. Look at Naismith is there any other job you could basically hang around and join in your new job for a couple months and still get paid by your old one. Most employers would say nittt you aint getting the money you’ve already moved to that other company.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

O'Hara is not a bad player would definitely take but it is not raising us to a different place. Squads now light in that area, mark up on Edwards for sure.

Might surprise a few

2 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Aye he's amazing, he scored 2 goals against Rangers on the TV a few year ago.

Watched that he’s been on the tele so he myst be good!!! Don’t know a lot about him , is there potential there or is it more a Edwards and hope our primary target signs type signing

YouLetYourClubDie

Peterborough manager said yesterday O'Hara is in his plans and is going to be given a second chance after being loaned out last year.

Gene Parmesan
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

O'Hara is not a bad player would definitely take but it is not raising us to a different place. Squads now light in that area, mark up on Edwards for sure.

Might surprise a few

I don't think fans should be expecting someone to "raise us to a different place". If they do, then they will be disappointed. Levein's been pretty clear that he's getting cover for Haring, not signing the next Patrick Vieira.

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, Gregski51 said:

A friend of a friend has informed me that Mark O'Hara should be signing for us in the next few days.

Not sure how much truth is in this, all I know is my work colleagues friend is his partner and apparently let it slip to her.

Don't know much about the guy footballing wise bar the fact he is a CM. Any thoughts? 

Bet it wasn't all he slipped her !!

Nookie Bear
28 minutes ago, sadj said:

No iain is fine your just an impossible case.

Its sadiq thank you , prof says so!! However on the post , i’m sure you are well aware thats not what im saying so don’t be a smartarse. Footballers are well protected and its not always a case of employment law works the same. If it was you could sack a player for being shit at their job. Agents are there to make money too , the whole point is if he leaves for Southend it WILL NOT guarantee his whole wage is there to use on someone else this year. Football behind the scenes just is not like that

If we have to pay him off then we are as well giving him a squad number and telling him to get fit and ready to play. 

He played over 30 games last season, gave us more assists than anyone and scored goals. Should be a six-figure sun or he stays imo

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Know a lot about him by the sound of it so please elaborate....

Not really, I've seen him play and don't think he's very good at football.

I've also read the opinions of fans of teams he's played for, which backed up my initial assessment.

I suspect his reputation has been built based on:

1) looking big and athletic, and

2) scoring a few goals in televised games.

But I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Written off already by some and it's still only a rumour. 

:rofl:

This place really takes the biscuit.

So what would you rather have, posters expressing an opinion about transfer targets abilities because they actually watch a lot of football, or just some easy cheap shots with emojis at other posters. 

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If we have to pay him off then we are as well giving him a squad number and telling him to get fit and ready to play. 

He played over 30 games last season, gave us more assists than anyone and scored goals. Should be a six-figure sun or he stays imo

Im not arguing. Boyle has spent the year going up and down to Bradford I believe and his family have a greater need for him to be at home. If he wants to go to Southend he should be getting transferred or be told to man up and the club will work to allow him time to visit them down south if they move back down there

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Like most on here, I have no expertise in the field of football contracts, but if a player can ask to be released from his contract on personal grounds, and his club then have to pay him the remainder, or even a part, of his contracted salary, I'd be amazed, as that would open the door for thousands (every) player to get out of his contract at a whim. As things stand, Hearts are under no obligation to let Lee leave and, unless he is giving up playing football, would be perfectly within their rights to refuse to let him go. Hearts might be happy to see him go, and may, in fact, have let him know before he asked for a move, and so they have perhaps agreed a settlement, but it would be commercial madness, as well as destroying the equity of contract law, if a player can hold a gun to a club's metaphorical head and leave on his own volition with a healthy pay-out.

28 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Know a lot about him by the sound of it so please elaborate....

I’m with DC, tbh.

During his time in Scotland when he was earning decent reviews, I never seen much from him that made me sit up and take notice. Looked every bit the midfield player that could go missing for large spells.

He’s since also failed to do anything down south.

No idea if he’s on our radar but my gut says ‘I hope not’.

tolcross lad
28 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I understand that.I am not clear who instigated what in Lees case.Maybe i am blinded by my opinion in that i did not rate him and fail to understand why Levein would.

54 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I see O'Hara as a slightly better version of Ross Callachan. Someone who'll run around a lot and score about 4 goals a season.

I'll be disappointed if he's our midfielder.

Utter tripe 

tolcross lad
9 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Like most on here, I have no expertise in the field of football contracts, but if a player can ask to be released from his contract on personal grounds, and his club then have to pay him the remainder, or even a part, of his contracted salary, I'd be amazed, as that would open the door for thousands (every) player to get out of his contract at a whim. As things stand, Hearts are under no obligation to let Lee leave and, unless he is giving up playing football, would be perfectly within their rights to refuse to let him go. Hearts might be happy to see him go, and may, in fact, have let him know before he asked for a move, and so they have perhaps agreed a settlement, but it would be commercial madness, as well as destroying the equity of contract law, if a player can hold a gun to a club's metaphorical head and leave on his own volition with a healthy pay-out.

Downing tools springs to mind again.The player becomes no use to the team causes issues in the dressing room and meantime collects his wages.I agree with your sentiments but this whole business seems a minefield to me.At the very top paying a player £300000 a week who has down tooled is also commercial madness.This applies all the way down the line.

Don’t think Lee leaving is all down to him. Been made clear he won’t be first choice so a parting of the ways seems likely 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Wanted the English pound. Better than Clydesdale Bank.

Aye true, might be a good signing if he’s available. Like Kamara he stood out in a shite team.

Cruyff Turn
20 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Don’t think Lee leaving is all down to him. Been made clear he won’t be first choice so a parting of the ways seems likely 

Yep. He got canned by Levein towards the end of last season and of course, lost his no.8 jersey. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't think fans should be expecting someone to "raise us to a different place". If they do, then they will be disappointed. Levein's been pretty clear that he's getting cover for Haring, not signing the next Patrick Vieira.

A different place is still far from the Champions League. Improvement is what we are looking for and that I am sure is doable. 

I think we should be expecting a different place,  Europe 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Watched that he’s been on the tele so he myst be good!!! Don’t know a lot about him , is there potential there or is it more a Edwards and hope our primary target signs type signing

Bit of a Mark up on Edwards.  Quite elegant on the ball range of passing and gets into the box. 

Imho Sadiq  :lol:

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Written off already by some and it's still only a rumour. 

:rofl:

This place really takes the biscuit.

If he signs, he is shite and won’t improve us one iota. 

If he doesn’t, it’s CL’s fault that we’ve missed out on a brilliant player. 

👍👍👍

Edited by Cygnet

Surprised some posters are talking in terms of Olly Lee leaving without HMFC getting a transfer fee. He is still under contract.

Like Ryan Edwards, CL has indicated he cannot be guaranteed a starting position & it was reported by CL that we got a decent fee for Edwards.

I appreciate Olly Lee is leaving mainly for family/personal reasons, but he just cannot up sticks & go at his leisure.

2 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Surprised some posters are talking in terms of Olly Lee leaving without HMFC getting a transfer fee. He is still under contract.

Like Ryan Edwards, CL has indicated he cannot be guaranteed a starting position & it was reported by CL that we got a decent fee for Edwards.

I appreciate Olly Lee is leaving mainly for family/personal reasons, but he just cannot up sticks & go at his leisure.

We didn’t get a decent fee, or any fee, for Edwards I don’t think.

Only a decent sell-on fee. Given the English market, he’ll probably be sold on for £7M in a year or two. 

YouLetYourClubDie
9 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Levein only mentioned a sell on fee for Edwards.

I can't see the fee for Lee being much unfortunately.

The Lee situation is slightly odd too. One of the first names on the team sheet during our good spell, loses a bit of form, appears to have incurred the wrath of Levein and now moving on. Was there a fall out because prior to New year Lee appeared to be loving life at the Jambos. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Gavman81 said:

The Lee situation is slightly odd too. One of the first names on the team sheet during our good spell, loses a bit of form, appears to have incurred the wrath of Levein and now moving on. Was there a fall out because prior to New year Lee appeared to be loving life at the Jambos. 

Or as widely reported his missus didn’t like it as has moved south again and lee wants to follow. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Or as widely reported his missus didn’t like it as has moved south again and lee wants to follow. 

I genuinely didn’t know that mate. Still left out the team latterly so wonder what happened. Ho hum. 

The Internet

O'Hara would be pretty ideal for what we need tbh. Can play the haring role but can also get box to box. Worth a punt if he's available. 

5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Well, let’s meet in the middle. I agree with the poster you quoted though. Quite often the momentum is dying from his run when he’s finally received the ball.

Granted he can be guilty of missing chances but early signs are he’s going to suffer, like our other strikers, from inadequate service and having to end up doing more donkey work than he should.  

There’s time to get this right though and we certainly have more attacking options going into the league campaign. Just need the centre of the park bolstered....

There’s no doubt that until we sort out centre midfield there will be a lot of wasted runs being made by our attackers. We’ve been crying out for a midfielder that could play a defence splitting pass for quite some time now, and it’s so disappointing that Levein appears to think Clare can fill that role.

22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Bit of a Mark up on Edwards.  Quite elegant on the ball range of passing and gets into the box. 

Imho Sadiq  :lol:

Sounds worth a punt

😎😂

6 hours ago, mainstandjambo said:

In media conference this morning CL said progress being made on bringing in midfielder but taking longer than he had hoped.

Always does 

2 hours ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Wow, glad we don’t have sadj doing our negotiating...

Olly Lee: My family haven’t settled. Is there any chance you would let me out of my contact to move back to England if I can find a new club?

Sadj: Sorry to hear that Lee. Maybe we can pay you some extra cash just to make it easier on you?

Olly Lee: Wow, thanks. That’s really kind of you. Say £5000?

Sadj: Let’s make it a round £100,000 since your unsettled 

Olly Lee: (speechless)

Sadj: I will load it into your car now and maybe I can shine up the motor for the drive south 

👏😂👍