Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

Hackney Hearts
2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Didn’t realise I’d missed out Clare in the line up. He will be in for his legs and running power I think.

I know Lee can be slow and anonymous in games (not ideal in a cup final), but I'd be tempted to put him in - only on the basis that he can at least score from distance, as we saw at Easter Road and when he nearly repeated the trick in the semi, but for a great save. We're going to need something out of the ordinary as we won't be carving Celtic open very often. Just tell Lee to shoot on sight as soon as he gets within 30 yards - at least it'll help our match stats at the end!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

Jambof3tornado
16 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

A bit strange to call this a 'tactic'.  Naismith made a flying start to season and his form and enthusiasm lifted everyone in the team.  It wasn't a planned Tactic. 

You dont think we built a gameplan around him, which vanished when he got injured then?

Robbo-Jambo
4 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

I’d bet my last £ that Naismith plays in the final.

Zlamal

Souttar

Berra

Shaughnessy

Smith

Djoum

Haring

Naismith

Mulraney

Ikpeazu

That's the team I think will start the game.

Been saying this about Naismith for a while now.

He will be involved in the squad for the final.

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Correct. Starting a season with a set of tactics that revolve around 1 player was foolish at best.

We started the Season with Naismith, Uche and Lafferty, with Vanacek to arrive in the January window.

It looked good to me at the time.

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Zlamal

Souttar

Berra

Shaughnessy

Smith

Djoum

Haring

Naismith

Mulraney

Ikpeazu

Shaughnessy is awful, I'd rather put in Burns or Dikamona 

That apart would be our best shot at glory +1other to give us 11

Edited by Old Castle Rock

StevenNaismith
1 hour ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Shaughnessy is awful, I'd rather put in Burns or Dikamona 

That apart would be our best shot at glory +1other to give us 11

Do I want Shaughnessy to play? No.

Do I think he will play? Yes.

Won't it just put the full stop on our season if he cant play.  Our top player, injured early in the league cup semi then unable to play in this final.

In fairness to levein  it sums up the negative issues he's had to deal with all season.

rick witter
9 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Zlamal

Souttar

Berra

Shaughnessy

Smith

Djoum

Haring

Naismith

Mulraney

Ikpeazu

Dikamona before Shaughnessy every time for me. His positional sense is terrible. He just not a very good player. 

12 hours ago, fila said:

Only one of the qualities he has, it is also indicative of the current management team that we need one player to make the rest better ! Olly Lee being one of them , I had really high hopes for the lad, but he isn’t good enough and he is not the only one unfortunately 

I think there is maybe more than one club in the world that struggle a bit without their best player by miles, mate.

Edited by Jammy T

9 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Look at real after selling Ronaldo. 

Barca without Messi are a level below, yet they have guys that cost £100m.

We also lost Uche at the same time for 3 months, then our captain. 

It's like Barca losing the ear biter and Messi at the same time, then Pique goes out as well. 

Yeah but Barca’s manager is also a shit old dinosaur - you’re missing the point.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
12 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

He makes other players better. 

That's what we can't replace. 

How about our manager does his job instead of being reliant on one player? Just thinking outside Craig Levein's arsehole. Call me crazy. :rolleyes4:

6 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I think there is maybe more than one club in the world that struggle a bit without their best player by miles, mate.

It is still an issue that needs addressed 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, fila said:

It is still an issue that needs addressed 

If we don’t have at least two best players next season I’ll be burning my season ticket. ?

TexasAndy
15 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

You dont think we built a gameplan around him, which vanished when he got injured then?

No I don't think there was a game plan built around any one player.  He just happened to hit the ground running at start of season and had a great influence on our play.  You wouldn't have built a team around him based on his performances at the back end of the previous season.  

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

No I don't think there was a game plan built around any one player.  He just happened to hit the ground running at start of season and had a great influence on our play.  You wouldn't have built a team around him based on his performances at the back end of the previous season.  

Why cant we play without him?

Thommo414
21 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Going to be tough being down to 10 men from the start. Hope we pull through.

i also reckon he will play. Add Lee or Cochrane in and we might have a chance.

Add both and drop Shaughnessy. Or add one and swap Shaughnessy for big Dik, then we're onto a winner 

Hampden Demolition
1 minute ago, Thommo414 said:

Add both and drop Shaughnessy. Or add one and swap Shaughnessy for big Dik, then we're onto a winner 

I reckon 3 at the back probably gives us the best chance. Wouldn’t be against putting Dikamona in.

Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If we don’t have at least two best players next season I’ll be burning my season ticket. ?

It would be nice for a back up plan for when our injury prone best player gets erm injured next season. 

Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Whats the overall game plan then? If it’s what we are watching the last few months it’s even worse than expected.

TexasAndy
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Why cant we play without him?

Great question.  Thinking back to the first 8-10 games he was the guy scoring goals, linking play, encouraging others.  Huge loss.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Great question.  Thinking back to the first 8-10 games he was the guy scoring goals, linking play, encouraging others.  Huge loss.  

He is, he's a cut above nearly every player in the SPFL let alone our own team. So it was obviously a massive blow.

Just such a disappointment nobody rose to the challenge of at least compensating in part for his absence.

TexasAndy
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Whats the overall game plan then? If it’s what we are watching the last few months it’s even worse than expected.

Wish I knew!  

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He is, he's a cut above nearly every player in the SPFL let alone our own team. So it was obviously a massive blow.

Just such a disappointment nobody rose to the challenge of at least compensating in part for his absence.

Hes mainly playing for a team in Scotland because he’s injury prone and a gamble at a higher level.  This should have been taken into considerable consideration when basing our whole entires seasons plans on him being fit. 

TexasAndy
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Hes mainly playing for a team in Scotland because he’s injury prone and a gamble at a higher level.  This should have been taken into considerable consideration when basing our whole entires seasons plans on him being fit. 

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Inch Hearts
Just now, TexasAndy said:

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

You disagree then, results show for themselves. 

TexasAndy
5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

You disagree then, results show for themselves. 

I disagree with the notion that we went in to this season with a complete reliance on one player.  It wasn't a game plan or tactic.  The fact he has been so influential for Hearts and Scotland is that he was flying.  Every team has got a player that provides the spark.  The bit I disagree with is that it's somehow someones fault that we signed him in first place and pinned all our hopes on him.  

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I disagree with the notion that we went in to this season with a complete reliance on one player.  It wasn't a game plan or tactic.  The fact he has been so influential for Hearts and Scotland is that he was flying.  Every team has got a player that provides the spark.  The bit I disagree with is that it's somehow someones fault that we signed him in first place and pinned all our hopes on him.  

Fair enough.  The way peformances have went since he’s been injured certainly indicate the plan without him was to revert to type of trying not to lose games and bypass the midfield completely.  Certainly for me it seems that way anyway. 

Remember the season after we won the cup in 1998?

Started pretty well then Colin Cameron got injured.  We then plummeted until we were in real danger with circa 10 games to go.  Cameron then came back and we started playing again, finishing really strong.

This season isn't the first time, and it won't be the last time, that injury to a really important part of the team affects it really badly.

And we had a much better squad back then, meaning that losing 1 player shouldn't have affected us a badly as it has done this season (with a worse squad).

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

It would be nice for a back up plan for when our injury prone best player gets erm injured next season. 

The problem with backup plans is that unless you test them thoroughly before you need them then you are never sure if they work. 

Inch Hearts
9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The problem with backup plans is that unless you test them thoroughly before you need them then you are never sure if they work. 

True, that’s what pre-season and league cup games should be used for then especially with Naismiths injury record? Alternative scout and bring in a player or 2 capable to not change the sides way of playing completely if our best player who is prone to injury gets ruled out for a period of time.  

Fxxx the SPFL

Vanecek and Uche up front get stuck into these smelly barstewards and we will turn them over, Monday 27th public holiday sleep off the parade/cup final hangover.

i am allowed to dream. :yas:

Edited by Ray has bus pass hooray

4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

True, that’s what pre-season and league cup games should be used for then especially with Naismiths injury record? Alternative scout and bring in a player or 2 capable to not change the sides way of playing completely if our best player who is prone to injury gets ruled out for a period of time.  

The back up plan was

1. keep Lafferty unless we get a replacement which we were stitched up on and lost Lafferty with no time to replace at that guaranteed level when Vanecek deal got delayed. 

2. Bring in Uche - but he gets injured

3. Mitchell will create more down wing - but he didn’t and got injured and went home 

4. If we need to, we can keep out goals, But Berra got injured. But Souttar got injured.

5. That’s ok. We’ve got Dunne. But he got injured and went home. 

6. Vanecek arriving January. Proven current scorer in similar level league - but he went on the lash and hasn’t recovered. 

7. Midfield creativity from Haring and Djoum has not materialised. Haring hernia all year. Djoum hot and cold. 

While hindsight says we should have known proven players would not perform as expected and we would have multiple over-lapping long-term injuries in key positions, we don’t have hindsight (or a massive budget for “just in case we lose our 4th choice centre half” planning) so it’s been a tough year to manage.

Bringing in “one or two” spare Naismith’s is far beyond our budget - as some have noted - he is above our budget!

Doesn’t matter how much you hate Levein, with what has happened to us, we would have performed below our target whoever was in charge but keep laying every bit of it on his doorstep. 

4 minutes ago, Sid said:

The back up plan was

1. keep Lafferty unless we get a replacement which we were stitched up on and lost Lafferty with no time to replace at that guaranteed level when Vanecek deal got delayed. 

3. Mitchell will create more down wing - but he didn’t and got injured and went home 

4. If we need to, we can keep out goals, But Berra got injured. But Souttar got injured.

6. Vanecek arriving January. Proven current scorer in similar level league - but he went on the lash and hasn’t recovered. 

7. Midfield creativity from Haring and Djoum has not materialised. Haring hernia all year. Djoum hot and cold. 

While hindsight says we should have known proven players would not perform as expected and we would have multiple over-lapping long-term injuries in key positions, we don’t have hindsight (or a massive budget for “just in case we lose our 4th choice centre half” planning) so it’s been a tough year to manage.

Bringing in “one or two” spare Naismith’s is far beyond our budget - as some have noted - he is above our budget!

Doesn’t matter how much you hate Levein, with what has happened to us, we would have performed below our target whoever was in charge but keep laying every bit of it on his doorstep. 

If you truly believe that I think it is you who has been on the lash and not recovered. Some hangover that lasts from January to May.:lol:

davemclaren
28 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I imagine the last minute move of Lafferty and the literal non arrival of Vanacek at the end of the summer window followed by the effective non arrival of Vanacek during the winter window impacted oprions somewhat. 

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, Sid said:

The back up plan was

spot on

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If you truly believe that I think it is you who has been on the lash and not recovered. Some hangover that lasts from January to May.:lol:

What about the rest of his post?

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Which bit is incorrect?

Are any of the injuries wrong?  

Can you remind me of the timings of the Lafferty deal and Vanacek? 

Point on Vanacek is that we all thought he appeared a good prospect - not being released by club early, scoring goals, match fit! It didn’t turn out that way. Could/should Levein have predicted this (and bought another “just in case” forward?) 

You may may argue that he should have adapted better and I think there are loads of tactical errors he’s made but you can’t argue he’s been dealt a pretty shitty gags to work with this season. 

3 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Don't have any real issue with the rest of his post that's why I highlighted the bit I didn't agree with.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Its funny how people with a strong negative view resort to having a wee dig when some compelling facts are put to the argument and avoid challenging them. 

Points 1-7.  Debate/dispute. 

Robbo-Jambo

That article with Levein is a bit contradictory.

It says he will keep Uche and Haring wrapped in cotton wool until the final and then he says if they are fit enough he wiil play them at Parkhead in the last league game.

I for one would not have them near Parkhead the week before. Asking for trouble against that mob.

Robbo-Jambo
6 minutes ago, Sid said:

Which bit is incorrect?

Point on Vanacek is that we all thought he appeared a good prospect - not being released by club early, scoring goals, match fit! It didn’t turn out that way. Could/should Levein have predicted this (and bought another “just in case” forward?) 

You may may argue that he should have adapted better and I think there are loads of tactical errors he’s made but you can’t argue he’s been dealt a pretty shitty gags to work with this season. 

Maybe Levein should have had a longer and more thorough look at Vanacek.

Seem to remember it being said by the management  team that it was not just the players abilities that would be studied before signing them, it would be the type of person they are and would fit into the club well eg. Haring

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Maybe Levein should have had a longer and more thorough look at Vanacek.

Seem to remember it being said by the management  team that it was not just the players abilities that would be studied before signing them, it would be the type of person they are and would fit into the club well eg. Haring

Let's face it though - this sort of comment is bollocks from our club. Just reeling out cliches and saying what they think they're supposed to say.

The reality of our recruitment is staring us in the face.

2 minutes ago, Sid said:

Which bit is incorrect?

The bit I highlighted in bold. I think Levein has handled Vanacek dreadfully.

We knew for months that he was going to be coming to the club and we also knew that their season ended before the Xmas break. It would have made sense for our club to be in touch with Vanacek and provide him with some sort of fitness program prior to him joining us in Spain for the winter training camp. We may have done that and he didn't comply but there was time tio find out.

We then have him training for a full week in Spain and remember the players wear monitors that tell how hard they are working etc and give read outs showing their fitness levels. So if he was that unfit you would have thought that it would have been noted at the time.

He then gets played in his first home match to be taken off in the first half and then subjected to a public slagging by his new coach.

Now it could well be that Vanacek is culpable in all of this but I hardly think that Levein has shown any man managemnt skills by treating his signing in this manner.

He may well have knocked every ounce of confidence out of the player making him reluctant to prodce the goods for Levein.

Some players need a good kick up the backside but some need a different approach and a good coach will know which to adopt but in my humble opinion CL chose the wrong one. It is just my opinion of course just like yours.