U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This will hopefully finish Trump permanently 

People have been hoping that since before his election win in 2016, when he was caught on audiotape making outrageous comments about women.

If he announces his 2024 candidacy next week, as some are speculating, he will be the automatic favourite to win the GOP nomination.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

People have been hoping that since before his election win in 2016, when he was caught on audiotape making outrageous comments about women.

If he announces his 2024 candidacy next week, as some are speculating, he will be the automatic favourite to win the GOP nomination.

Don’t you think the past few days might make him think about the humiliation of getting beat? My bet is he makes excuses and avoids running in 2024

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Don’t you think the past few days might make him think about the humiliation of getting beat? My bet is he makes excuses and avoids running in 2024

We'll find out soon enough.

He thinks he'll win in 2024.  It probably doesn't register in his twisted mind that he lost the popular vote both times he ran for President.  In his mind, he won "by a landslide" in 2016 and was cheated in 2020.

De Santis of Florida would be a worthy challenger to Trump for the GOP nomination, but he became Governor of Florida thanks to Trump's help, so he might stay out of the race to return the favour. 

I think Trump will run again.  I think he'll get the GOP nomination.  I think he'll lose the election again when all the votes are counted.  Then the shit-show will begin as all the election-deniers who are now in Congress will turn the world upside down to avoid ratifying the vote.  That's a ton of speculation on my part :biggrin2:

13 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

He thinks he'll win in 2024.  It probably doesn't register in his twisted mind that he lost the popular vote both times he ran for President.  In his mind, he won "by a landslide" in 2016 and was cheated in 2020.

De Santis of Florida would be a worthy challenger to Trump for the GOP nomination, but he became Governor of Florida thanks to Trump's help, so he might stay out of the race to return the favour. 

I think Trump will run again.  I think he'll get the GOP nomination.  I think he'll lose the election again when all the votes are counted.  Then the shit-show will begin as all the election-deniers who are now in Congress will turn the world upside down to avoid ratifying the vote.  That's a ton of speculation on my part :biggrin2:

Reports yesterday that Trump has warned him against running. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/politics/trump-desantis-2024-warning-shot

I had seen a number of commentators in the days prior to the election say that this "red wave" stuff was suspect at best. They said stats to suggest it were actually being produced by right wing funded think tanks and the like.

Trying to deflate Democrat voters into perhaps not bothering to vote at all, because what's the point? All is lost anyway.

And given Trumps alleged fury about the outcome did he fall for their own propaganda? If Hannity says it then it's real.

Edited by JFK-1

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

He thinks he'll win in 2024.

I would imagine the Dems want him to run and get the nomination. Because I think he has even less chance of winning than he did last time so the Dems could run with almost anybody.

Michael Cohen always said Trump wouldn't run again because his fragile ego couldn't take another loss. Cohens predictions about Trump have been invariably accurate, on this I agreed with him when he first said it now i'm not so sure.

He said it long before Jan 6th and the resulting legal cases plus the tax case documents case the list goes on. Trump might think if I don't take a chance, risk a loss and the Dems win, I could be ruined. Potentially even jailed. And how could he trust any other Republican candidate to do as he wanted. His treatment of them has been appalling. The higher ups like McConnel etc. know Trump is a disaster.

The likes of Ted Cruz initially called Trump out for what he obviously is, a lying ignoramus and racist to boot. Trump publicly humiliated him with lies about his family, then Cruz became an arse kisser. Imagine if a spineless cretin like that had been in charge in Ukraine.

The likes of Cruz if he became president may do nothing to try to hinder the rock solid legal cases Trump faces. Such scenarios may drive Trump to try again and in the process perhaps guarantee a Democratic victory.

A majority of the nation now clearly see the eventual outcome of insanity like Trump being reinstalled. I would suspect even a fair number of traditionally Republican voters would also fear going down that road. At best vote for a third party rather than Trump or not vote at all.

All eroding the vote when it's already stacked against him because a majority of the nation now knows he's an insane wannabe dictator who will go to any lengths. Including the murder of colleagues like Pence.

It's good seeing the 'Im really fair' fraud Joe Rogan getting custard pied. And that other headbanger Shapiro getting the same. 

Edited by ri Alban

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Trump already laying into DeSantis.

Trump is malevolent enough to burn it all down if he could. He could split them in two making it impossible for them to win elections. They let this orange clown drag them into this Armageddon and now they wish it would just go away. But it wont. Bet they wish they had impeached him now.

Malinga the Swinga

With Biden declaring he wants to run again in 2024, we could be facing another Trump v Biden election.

Surely the US has two better and younger candidates to offer up than these pair of old guys.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Trump is malevolent enough to burn it all down if he could. He could split them in two making it impossible for them to win elections. They let this orange clown drag them into this Armageddon and now they wish it would just go away. But it wont. Bet they wish they had impeached him now.

I think this is the main fear of the real politicians in the Republican party:  he starts his own party and splits them off.  Better dealing with his shit than losing X amount of voters, even if they are mostly all nutters.

Kinda what happens in the UK with so many parties now.  People tactical voting.

As for your point about impeaching him: I'm fairly sure there will be top Republicans working behind closed doors to make sure one of his court cases stick that will legally rule him out from running.   That will be his "out".

Edited by Lovecraft

Speaking for myself, I don't want him to run again because that means there's a chance he could be President again, and I never want to go through that again. DeSantis is the embodiment of competent Trumpism, which might be worse, but I'll take him trying to win a national campaign over the chance of Donald coming back.

The mirror image of DeSantis's big win is Gretchen Whitmer's big win in Michigan. As governor she enforced strict COVID restrictions to the point that some Trumpy wackos hatched a plan to kidnap her and hold her hostage. She's been facing down absolute lunatics in her state and not only did she just roll to reelection, her coattails were so wide that the Democrats now control the full state legislature for the first time since 1983.

Biden has been a significantly better President than I expected, but still, please, give me Whitmer vs. DeSantis over Biden vs. Trump II.

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Democrats should play the republicans at their own game. President The Rock and VP Kevin Hart.

The Rock has lost his presidential campaign

or haven't you been watching "Young Rock":biglaugh:

1 hour ago, jambosean75 said:

The Rock has lost his presidential campaign

or haven't you been watching "Young Rock":biglaugh:

No yet. any good 👍

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That Mike Lindell is the spit of the Undertaker/Cain sidekick freak.

Paul Bearer. He's dead man, isn't that punishment enough than being compared to that wankpot?

Just now, trotter said:

Paul Bearer. He's dead man, isn't that punishment enough than being compared to that wankpot?

Reincarnated.

Trust Bill Maher to come up with this angle, and I do believe he may be trying to goad Trump into some sort of response. It doesn't matter to Trump that Maher is a comedian, he once sued Maher for suggesting, in a joke, that Trumps father was an orangutan. Trump produced a birth certificate and sued him.

o-BILL-MAHER-TRUMP-ORANGUTAN-5-MILLION-f

We all know how fragile an ego this is. If he responds to a joke about his genetics he may well respond to attacks on his let's say virility. Cos he's the smartest most toughest most virile orangutan in history isn't he.

Maher's spiel initially comes across as something like an obsessive rant, but if you follow it to a conclusion it becomes a classic trolling of Trump. Perhaps enough of a trolling to elicit a response from the orange idiot. When anybody with a semblance of a brain would ignore it.

The Democrats keep control of the Senate!!  :cheers:

Well, well, well, who'd a thunk it?  That should limit the damage that the right-wing crazies in the House can do, plus a major blow to the Trump cultists.

Is it possible that Trumpism is headed for the dustbin of history like McCarthyism?

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well, well, well, who'd a thunk it?  That should limit the damage that the right-wing crazies in the House can do, plus a major blow to the Trump cultists.

Is it possible that Trumpism is headed for the dustbin of history like McCarthyism?

Does that mean Joe can now stick a sane judge in the supreme court?

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nope.  It's a lifetime gig for the members of SCOTUS, and none of them are planning or leaving or dying.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nope.  It's a lifetime gig for the members of SCOTUS, and none of them are planning or leaving or dying.

Are you sure :gunsmilie:

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are you sure :gunsmilie:

The judges have recently all got increased security.  Besides, the crazies with guns love them all.  Gonna have to wait a few years, I'm afraid.  Death from old age is a long game.

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The clown will be on suicidal watch.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Theoretically yes, if he can get a bill to expand the size of the Supreme Court through both houses, he can then balance it out with sane human beings.

But then that'd just end up being what every President would do: add more and more friendly judges to the SC so over time it ends up with 100 judges on it.

10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Are they permitted to resign?

Say, on medical grounds, if - heaven forbid - some degenerative neurological condition should develop?

17 minutes ago, Boof said:

Are they permitted to resign?

Say, on medical grounds, if - heaven forbid - some degenerative neurological condition should develop?

Yes.  Resignation because of old age or ill health is usually the way they leave.

21 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Bill Maher has been very hit and miss for a while. This though - one of his best "New Rule" sections... :rofl:

Hope it goads him into some stupid response. Trump once sued Maher because Maher said that one of Trumps parents was an orangutan. Maher said,

“The colour of his hair and the colour of an orange orangutan are the only two things in nature of the same color,”

So Trump produces his birth certificate and sued

o-BILL-MAHER-TRUMP-ORANGUTAN-5-MILLION-f

Maher must get under Trumps thin skin, Seth Myers rips him to pieces all the time and he hasn't been sued. All comics would be broke if you could be sued for a joke.

On 12/11/2022 at 23:08, Maple Leaf said:

However, it's perfectly within the power of Congress to change the size of the Supreme Court, particularly to increase it. All Congress had to do over the past two years was pass a law saying, "The SCOTUS will now have 15 seats instead of 9." Democrats won't do that because it would be seen as cheating breaking precedent and would somehow politicize the court. This would be a reasonable argument except for the fact that the court looks like it does because Mitch McConnell fairly shamelessly cheated (making up a rule out of thin air to block Merrick Garland's nomination then ignoring it completely to approve Amy Coney Barrett), thereby breaking precedent and heavily politicizing the court, as can be seen in the Dobbs decision among dozens.

(TBF about 85% of the Democratic legislators appear ready to actually fix the damn thing, but the presence a few pant-wetters, opportunists, and dinosaurs in the caucus means they can't get the votes.)

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

(TBF about 85% of the Democratic legislators appear ready to actually fix the damn thing, but the presence a few pant-wetters, opportunists, and dinosaurs in the caucus means they can't get the votes.)

It would be really nice if all the Dems in the Senate would, just once, sing from the same hymn sheet.  Those two oddballs seem to like the fact that they have excessive influence on the Party.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It would be really nice if all the Dems in the Senate would, just once, sing from the same hymn sheet.  Those two oddballs seem to like the fact that they have excessive influence on the Party.

Manchin at least is 100% consistent. Yes, he loves his little moments in the sun but it's not as if he's ever been anyone else. If Cal ****ing Cunningham hadn't been such an epic douchebag in NC and if Sara Gideon had actually spent the millions she had sitting around instead of assuming she'd already won in Maine, he could have just been his usual curmudgeonly fossil fuel loving self and we wouldn't have to worry about him. I can't stand him but it's pretty well proven he's the only Democrat that can win in West Virginia these days.

Sinema is the totally cynical toad. She's a former Green Party candidate, FFS, and now she's the apostle of the middle of the road and making friends with reactionaries. She did that dance 100% to suck up campaign contributions from pharma companies who didn't like the provisions in a lot of Biden's legislation, and to get all the attention. I think she honestly thinks she's going to run for President, when in reality her political career is probably over as of the next election. The Liz Truss of Washington.

Who are the likely Dem hopefuls of getting the party nomination in 2024 (other than Joe )  ?   

Just been discussing Trumpism with Mrs LS.  Its  impossible to 2nd guess  a madman's next moves, but we reckon he's driven by the  emotion of revenge more than anything now - revenge for  the "stolen election", revenge for the federal investigations into Jan 6th, and blind rage that most world leaders see him  now as the  deranged  loser who was beaten by a doddery old man.

His growing hatred of DeSantis is astonishing, albeit unsurprising,  

gorgierulesapply88

A leader in world peace, signed so many peace treaties etc.

Speaking well currently, world stability when he was in power.

gorgierulesapply88
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Me neither. :laugh: 

ffs! This nightshift's dragging. 

President of the united states and the free world 2024.

5 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

ffs! This nightshift's dragging. 

President of the united states and the free world 2024.

Sadly, The Donald won't be the candidate in 2024.  He's now seen as a loser. One flash in the pan in highly unusual circumstances in 2016 and a run of shite results since, and the Republican Party knows it.

gorgierulesapply88
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Democrats will be delighted and why wouldn't they be. He's a half witted serial loser.

Why would they be delighted? It gains support, americans are stupid. Use words wisely and people will fall for it.

Beat's Biden, who is not a real person and there's a person behind his 'mask'.

Auld sleepy joe.

Edited by gorgierulesapply88

His speech is hilarious. It's just one load of bullshit after another 😂😂😂. Even he doesn't believe what he's saying. It's all just one huge grift and probably trying to somehow prevent him from being indicted. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)