U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That last article you quoted is a real worry.  Trump is edging closer to being president for life.  When I think of all the American service members who've died for America's "freedom", it's really ironic (and tragic) that their freedom is on the brink of being stolen by a weakling who cheated to avoid military service.

That is a worry, of course, but also a concern is that if Trump succeeds in negating the results of the election, tens of millions of Americans will rejoice.  A right-wing Christian dictatorship in America would be their version of Heaven on earth.

And from there it's a small step to bring about armageddon to achieve the 'rapture' which many American Evangelists are so desperate to bring about in their own lifetime.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig Gordons Gloves

This election is screwed.  Trump is telling everyone what his crimes will be and this then normalizes them and as we go forward, he'll be able to do what he wants.  If he loses, he'll win through the courts, if he wins, he'll do what he can to stay where he is. 

I've been here for 14 years so not as long as others but this year feels incredibly different to every other year (covid aside).  The adversarial nature of the 2 party system is at it's worst right now and people are on edge.  From stealing signs out of people's yards to loud arguments on social media it feels different.  I lost my job a couple of weeks back and it could be a blessing because it allows us the opportunity to take the kids somewhere else where lying, cheating and everything else Trump does isn't tolerated anywhere near to the levels it is here. 

8 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

This election is screwed.  Trump is telling everyone what his crimes will be and this then normalizes them and as we go forward, he'll be able to do what he wants.  If he loses, he'll win through the courts, if he wins, he'll do what he can to stay where he is. 

I've been here for 14 years so not as long as others but this year feels incredibly different to every other year (covid aside).  The adversarial nature of the 2 party system is at it's worst right now and people are on edge.  From stealing signs out of people's yards to loud arguments on social media it feels different.  I lost my job a couple of weeks back and it could be a blessing because it allows us the opportunity to take the kids somewhere else where lying, cheating and everything else Trump does isn't tolerated anywhere near to the levels it is here. 

Could you ever see yourself moving back in Scotland?

alwaysthereinspirit
47 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Maybe. 

The Economist is predicting that Biden has an 85% chance of winning the Electoral College. 

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

If that transpires, what happens after that is anybody's guess and many people have an opinion. My opinion is that Trump will claim that the election was rigged or flawed and will refuse to accept the result. He will then refuse to leave the office and try to get the courts to intervene.  

What's your opinion?

My opinion is that who ever wins will take charge of the country on January whatever. I will rise from my bed November 4th at 5.11AM as per usual, shower, clean my teeth and head of to work.

If idiots want to riot, loot and maim people I wont be anywhere near them. I certainly wont be supporting any faction from either Republican or Democrat that chooses that route to show their grievance at the result..

32 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

This election is screwed.  Trump is telling everyone what his crimes will be and this then normalizes them and as we go forward, he'll be able to do what he wants.

There are countless things going on right now to subvert an election he cannot legitimately win. And all in full view. Just one example is the attempt to cripple the post office during a pandemic when there will be a record number of votes by mail.

Closer to the day and on the day the subversion will ramp up to ever greater levels and everyone will see it happening. Yet still it will go on in full view of not just the entire population but the entire world. An outdated broken system falling apart for all to see.

Election night when the polls have closed there will still be millions of votes to count. If Trump had even a slender lead at that point he will declare victory then take steps to prevent the remaining votes being counted.

The entire thing is such an obvious criminal enterprise the UN should be invited in to supervise. Banana Republic dictators take greater care in trying to hide their subversion.

2 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

My opinion is that who ever wins will take charge of the country on January whatever. I will rise from my bed November 4th at 5.11AM as per usual, shower, clean my teeth and head of to work.

If idiots want to riot, loot and maim people I wont be anywhere near them. I certainly wont be supporting any faction from either Republican or Democrat that chooses that route to show their grievance at the result..

You're totally failing to grasp what's being said here. What you're saying right there has absolutely zero relevance to the current flow of the discussion.

Just surreal now.    That a situation has become very real,  almost probable,  that the USA will see mass violence on the streets at a dystopian nightmare movie level.   

alwaysthereinspirit
5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You're totally failing to grasp what's being said here. What you're saying right there has absolutely zero relevance to the current flow of the discussion.

Maybe I misread the part that asked for my opinion on what will happen after the election.

As for relevance...........pot, kettle and black come to mind. You waffle every post about nothing or attach some $#!te that you didn't even read all the way through to at least the third paragraph.

12 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Maybe I misread the part that asked for my opinion on what will happen after the election.

As for relevance...........pot, kettle and black come to mind. You waffle every post about nothing or attach some $#!te that you didn't even read all the way through to at least the third paragraph.

I read everything. I read the entire Atlantic article posted above, did you? I will guess not and further surmise that's why you don't grasp that talking waffle about brushing teeth the day after the election addresses nothing relevant to this discussion.

You may as well have said I will get up and have a piss as usual for all the relevance it has to a discussion centred on an election being subverted. I probably will too but it's irrelevant.

He wasn't asking about your toilet habits when he asked for an opinion on the current direction of this topic. Yet that's what you offered and nothing else.

28 minutes ago, Barack said:

:rofl:

The sociopathic version, of two children in a playground, saying: " You've got buck teeth. The other replying: "Yeah...well you smell."

Needed that laugh. Even from him. 

What a dick.

I suspect that shit may actually backfire on him. More and more people are becoming motivated to vote in person and it's not because they don't trust the mail votes. It's because they don't trust him to get them counted.

It's not the only thing that's heading to backfire on this witless clown. For months he has been rambling on about "sleepy Joe" and how cognitively impaired he is. While the genius Trump can identify an elephant and remember 5 words.

Now the Republicans, who are in reality well aware that Biden is a sharp operator who has decades of political experience and dozens of debates behind him, are worried that Biden can't lose any debate because there is no way he's going to look anything like as impaired and feeble as Trump has been claiming he is.

While their guy, Trump, has a well recorded tendency of failing to even simply stay on topic. This isn't a rally where the crowd will whoop and bark like seals at an Elton John ramble.

This is a trap the idiot set himself and is now walking straight into. 

Edited by JFK-1

There isn't a shred of doubt he's the most unpopular incumbent in living memory and has absolutely no chance of winning this election if the people vote and it appears they're going to. The only question is how far are they going to go to rig it.

It's already perfectly obvious the nut isn't going to accept it even if it's a landslide. Just today the rhetoric has become they will accept it if the supreme court says it's legit.

So there you have it. No matter how big a win Biden may secure it's going to be dragged through courts. All the way to a court he's in the process of rigging right now.

Now let's be clear about this, everybody will know he lost, they wont need to be an SP judge to know it. They know right now he can't win.

What would the mood of the people be if they found out they had a supreme court so corrupt it produced an obviously injudicious ruling to keep this criminal tyrant in power?

3 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I was going to suggest that you move to Canada.  If you can handle the Minnesota winters you can handle anything that Canada throws your way.

However, the border is still closed to Americans and a recent poll among Canadians revealed that 90% of Canadians want it to remain closed ... indefinitely!

4 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Drama Queen

Please be aware that in the grand scheme of life almost all wicked thought and action can be traced back to its original source that being Donald Trump.

Propaganda and hate know no bounds, in the partisan hackish travail brought forth with every key stroke of rhetorical fantasy.

Some are worse than others, some even believe their own story.

Edited by alfajambo

6 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Please be aware that in the grand scheme of life almost all wicked thought and action can be traced back to its original source that being Donald Trump.

Propaganda hate and lies knows no bounds, in the partisan hackish travail brought forth with every key stroke of rhetorical fantasy.

Oh the irony...

7 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Propaganda and hate knows no bounds, in the partisan hackish travail brought forth with every key stroke of rhetorical fantasy.

What a load of utter pish. Begin by negating my accusation of you talking utter pish by describing to us how competent Trump is and what lies are being told about him.

Go for it. This should be good. Alex Jones will give you some starters.

4 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Quality and wit of contribution checks out given the poster

shrug.001.gif

Lindsey Graham has put his cards on the table.  He says he will accept whatever the Supreme Court decides about the election!!!  What a guy.

Now we know which way the Republicans are going.

2 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Propaganda and hate know no bounds, in the partisan hackish travail brought forth with every key stroke of rhetorical fantasy.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

shrug.001.gif

Well we know where that level of risible twaddle comes from. Like the belief that covid is a hoax. A hoax the whole world must be in on all to destroy the US apparently.

Britain, Australia, New Zealand and all the others. All crippling their own economies with lockdowns etc. to participate in the hoax.  

You have to wonder if these people have the slightest comprehension of their own absurdity. I suspect they don't. Who would knowingly make themselves look such an idiot. Trump aside.

Edited by JFK-1

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I was going to suggest that you move to Canada.  If you can handle the Minnesota winters you can handle anything that Canada throws your way.

However, the border is still closed to Americans and a recent poll among Canadians revealed that 90% of Canadians want it to remain closed ... indefinitely!

Winter is that when that white stuff you see in Toronto is on the ground, I have seen that winter is why we don't still wear shorts and tee shirts in January I thought it was just a fashion statement, I guess thats why they call it Beautiful British Columbia. The best thing though there is no way other than the always possible armed invasion that Trump can ever become our leader.

3 hours ago, alfajambo said:

**** me

37 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Well we know where that level of risible twaddle comes from. Like the belief that covid is a hoax. A hoax the whole world must be in on all to destroy the US apparently.

Britain, Australia, New Zealand and all the others. All crippling their own economies with lockdowns etc. to participate in the hoax.  

You have to wonder if these people have the slightest comprehension of their own absurdity. I suspect they don't. Who would knowingly make themselves look such an idiot. Trump aside.

That's the thing, pal. The starry eyed brainwashed ones? They used to make me really angry, until I realised they're just as much victims as any BLM protester who gets wrongfully arrested for exercising their right to freedom of expression. They've been exploited and deserve our pity, not our scorn.

The ones who make my blood boil are the bellends who know better, and just don't care. The ones who know they probably look like complete idiots, and yet participate in their weird, Old Firm-esque tribal games anyway. **** them, all of them. They are the architects of this.

3 hours ago, alfajambo said:

I thought I was a relatively well educated and well read man but I have no idea what that even means!

33 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I thought I was a relatively well educated and well read man but I have no idea what that even means!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome to the club, mate :smoking:

31 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

He's trying to support Trump and entirely oblivious to the fact he's describing Trump. 

This video demonstrates not only that Trump is booed at the RBG memorial but pretty much everywhere he goes outside the bubble of the idiot fests he organises.

This has to be unprecedented levels of unpopularity and he still has the gall to proclaim the only way he can lose an election is if it's rigged.

1 hour ago, EH11_2NL said:

It makes me think "Remember to wear a helmet" if I ever buy a bike, again. 

Edited by ri Alban

A Boy Named Crow

Something I'm  interested to know its,  how do the supreme court judges usually behave?

I get that you get conservative judges and liberal judges who will tend to vote along those lines on things like abortion  or the recognition of same sex marriage or whatever. 

But are the judges SO partisan that they would be complicit in the stealing of an election, the subverting of democracy, and all the damage, civil unrest etc that would entail?

Seems pretty nuts!

41 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Something I'm  interested to know its,  how do the supreme court judges usually behave?

I get that you get conservative judges and liberal judges who will tend to vote along those lines on things like abortion  or the recognition of same sex marriage or whatever. 

But are the judges SO partisan that they would be complicit in the stealing of an election, the subverting of democracy, and all the damage, civil unrest etc that would entail?

Seems pretty nuts!

That's an unknown because this is uncharted territory. The nation has never before had such an outright lunatic in the oval office.

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That's an unknown because this is uncharted territory. The nation has never before had such an outright lunatic in the oval office.

If one of these doomsday scenarios takes place, and he manages to cheat his way into a second term, you could say it was time to call for the citizens to rise up against a tyrannical government... pretty ironic that the gun toting nutjobs who have been waiting for such a day are largely on his side!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

18 hours ago, Tazio said:

The indignity of his time after office will be something to behold. The rest of his life ranting on Twitter and anyone mad enough to give him a platform on television. 

That's reason enough alone that we must all hope he ends up in the clink for the rest of his days.

Edited by DETTY29

It's become more than obvious that this entire process is going to be traumatic and will likely result in some degree of major turmoil. Turmoil which isn't going to end after November 3rd.

We now all know for certain that he's not going to accept defeat, he's outright saying it on an almost daily basis now. So the turmoil will not only continue following election day it's likely to crank up to fever pitch.

I have a suspicion that his activities are now not just angering many but even frightening many more. This is turning into what amounts to an intention to execute a coup with no attempt to even hide it.

They're openly stating an intention to block the counting of mail in ballots for one thing. And with a pandemic raging those ballots are going to be iun the millions. Predominantly for Biden.

Following is a quote from an article I will kink to at the end. An article contributed to by Republicans including a man who was a solicitor general in the Regan administration and a Harvard law professor.

They and others produced a 22-page report in which they write of the potential for escalating widespread violence when Trump refuses to vacate the office. They're most definitely going to attempt using all the power of the office to prevent ballots being counted.

Given the administration’s record of embracing “numerous corrupt and authoritarian practices,” huge numbers of Americans must be ready to take to the streets should Trump and his henchmen try to illegally curtail the counting of mail-in ballots.

The administration could deploy federalized National Guard troops to stop vote counts. Indeed, on the day Joe Biden accepted the Democratic presidential nomination, Trump suggested on Fox News that he could order federal agents, even local sheriffs, into polling stations ostensibly to monitor fraud.

Trump and his allies could also challenge the results in numerous states simultaneously, send federal forces into Democratic-controlled cities, and through social media accounts and speeches, activate right-wing paramilitary groups.

The report warns that a desperate Trump could push the American republic to the breaking point. 

We already know they're going to be employing harassment and intimidation at polling stations. As I said, there is no attempt to hide it.

The Republicans are recruiting 50,000 volunteers in 15 contested states to monitor polling places and challenge voters they deem suspicious-looking. Trump called in to Fox News on August 20 to tell Sean Hannity,

“We’re going to have sheriffs and we’re going to have law enforcement and we’re going to have, hopefully, U.S. attorneys” to keep close watch on the polls.

"challenge voters they deem suspicious-looking" What's that supposed to mean? They deem look suspiciously like a Biden voter?

Is Trump Planning a Coup d’État?

Edited by JFK-1

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Oh...and then I see Sean Hannity has made an appearance. Who has been in personal emails over policy, within Trump's inner circle.

Sean, of course, being the harbinger of truth & impartiality.

When he's not cheating on his wife. Naturally.

Oh...and then I see Sean Hannity has made an appearance. Who has been in personal emails over policy, within Trump's inner circle.

Sean, of course, being the harbinger of truth & impartiality.

When he's not cheating on his wife. Naturally.

I'll not even bother with Ingraham...

Quite comical.

Hannity.com

MBFCLow.png?w=357&ssl=1 

• Overall, we rate Hannity.com Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, and conspiracy theories as well as numerous failed fact checks.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/hannity-com/

Or her. Would rather you put your own point across, rather than the words of a functioning alcoholic. But, your views are your views and there's not much point debating either way.

Have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Might as well put up Jacob Wohl, Dan Bonginino & Tucker, to make the complete set while at it.

The guys a joke and apparently doesn't know it. Simply keeps adding more lines to his own joke status. "Judge Jeanine"? 😂

A right wing crackpot in the same vein as Hannity giving not news but their own crackpot "opinion"? 😂

Judge Jeanine, politifact 2 fact checks both false.

Says Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein announced in February that "the Russia collusion investigation is over."

meter-false.jpg

ISIS leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi was "released by Obama in 2009."

meter-false.jpg

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/jeanine-pirro/

@alfajambo Despite what you might think, alternative opinions are what makes a forum interesting so are welcome here.

But your last seven posts contained not a single word of your opinion, just videos from conservative sources.  And not just any conservative source ... Hannity and Tucker are as biased as they come, so I won't be wasting a second of my time on them.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

@alfajambo Despite what you might think, alternative opinions are what makes a forum interesting so are welcome here.

But your last seven posts contained not a single word of your opinion, just videos from conservative sources.  And not just any conservative source ... Hannity and Tucker are as biased as they come, so I won't be wasting a second of my time on them.

You're wise not to waste a second on it. It's meaningless garbage.

Politifact on Carlson just to complete a set here. Check the amount of not just false but 'pants on fire' ratings he has. 😂

It's truly comical that anyone would produce such people as evidence of anything but misinformation and think they're proving anything else.

https://www.politifact.com/search/?q=tucker carlson

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Spamming is against forum rules. FYI people...

This bears repeating.

While adding that white supremacists love Tucker Carlson.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)