Michael Stewart

Phil Dunphy

11 hours ago, jambali said:

No. He was a great defender, because he was clever. He could read the game amazingly well. He was not creative the way you need players to be in certain positions. Nor was he fast.

He was certainly one of the best Hearts players I have seen (in over 60 years) - but, no, he could not have played "anywhere" - nor was he the best player ever at Tynie

The best player I have witnessed in 65 years of watching Hearts was Dave Mackay. Craig Levein however was the best central defender by the proverbial country mile and could have played at the very top level in England, Suggest you watch the interview by Aaron (Cornhill Hearts with John Colquhoun who was no slouch pace wise, but not nearly as quick as CL who would have walked  in to the best Hearts team ever.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridge of Djoum

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• wavydavy

11 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

I spoke to George McNeill, our sprint coach in the 1980s, earlier this season and I asked him about Levein's pace. He said Theo Walcott is the only player he has ever seen who is as fast. I asked about Cristiano Ronaldo and he said no, because of a shorter stride. To say Levein wasn't fast is laughable.

Now he was one fast bugger, had the misfortune to be drawn in the same heats as him of a few occasions, with the inevitable result, there were a few really fast guys back in that era.

I'd have loved to see him take on Wells, imo George was faster than Wells.

12 hours ago, XB52 said:

I've come to realise that all you levein haters on here are right. Michael Stewart is right too. We should get rid and bring in the darling of the media      step forward Neil Lennon, someone loved by the sycophantic smsm and some idiots in here. FTH

You put forward such a strong argument. Grow up for goodness sake you are no better than Lennon with comments like this.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I don't particularly want to watch it again. It wasn't a great moment for the club. I realise who started it and, to clarify, both of them should have been binned imo. I'm sure there were different opinions back then, as there are now.

There were but I don't recall anyone saying they should have been binned. That's mental.

It was a pre-season game at Raith and they had a wee bust up. No big deal....then or now !

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

There were but I don't recall anyone saying they should have been binned. That's mental.

It was a pre-season game at Raith and they had a wee bust up. No big deal....then or now !

No big deal?. WTF!! Really shows your intelligence levels when you think it’s acceptable to raise your hands to a colleague ?

1 minute ago, Markymark said:

No big deal?. WTF!! Really shows your intelligence levels when you think it’s acceptable to raise your hands to a colleague ?

It wasn't. They got lenghthy bans. 

But you move on. 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yep.  Michael is a Hearts fan as is everyone else in his family. 

That is fact. 

However, I can see why people think otherwise given his relationship with Levein. 

But make no mistake, Hearts is his club. 

I did wonder when it was sent to me to be fair. Always was my understanding he was Hearts as well. You do wonder sometimes though given his attitude towards us.

I'll make sure to do my due diligence before posting shite in future. ??

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Their not. Unlike Stewart, I have the capability of telling it like it is irrespective of my personal opinions of personnel. Stewart hasn't said one good word about Hearts, or Levein, since he took over, and there's been plenty positives in amongst the shite.

That is utter nonsense and you are just as blinkered as you claim Stewart is. I have heard him praise Hearts when they were playing well earlier in the season as to has Thompson on Sportscene.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Markymark said:

Signing shite players. That’s how you legislate for it.

Did you ever see levein play? 

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Make no mistake, Michael Stewart is hoping Hearts lose today. 

What utter nonsense. He is a Hearts fan and always has been. He does not like Levein as we all know and the feeling is Mutual but he wants them to win and play an attractive style of play when winning which he feels along with many Hearts fans does not happen with CL.

I am sure like many on here he would be quite happy to see the back of CL and another Coach/Manager come in and take the team forward to where we should be but he still wants them to win.

The articles with more detailed reports from Levein on Vanacek would suggest his man management has been pretty good here.

Sorry about that...:

Just now, wavydavy said:

What utter nonsense. He is a Hearts fan and always has been. He does not like Levein as we all know and the feeling is Mutual but he wants them to win and play an attractive style of play when winning which he feels along with many Hearts fans does not happen with CL.

I am sure like many on here he would be quite happy to see the back of CL and another Coach/Manager come in and take the team forward to where we should be but he still wants them to win.

Yeah

Everyone wants Hearts to win

And everyone has good intentions 

6 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Did you ever see levein play? 

Yes I did. For around 4/5 years. I’ve seen many better players come through the club. 

Bridge of Djoum

The inevitable conclusion. A thread about MS turns into the attack Levein thread by the usual non-entities.

''Levein should never have played for us again after Hogg''

''Levein was slow as a player''

''Levein wasn't one of the finest players to play for Hearts''

Utter dugshit.

Back on topic.

MS is a complete bellend. Levein has rinsed him so many times. As for his 7 page tear-filled rant on Twitter. Truly embarrassing stuff.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Michael Stewart wants Hearts to lose today so he can continue being a smug arsehole. 

Argue about his family all being Hearts all you want, but we’ve Hearts fans on this board who wanted Hibs to beat us recently. 

2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Yes I did. For around 4/5 years. I’ve seen many better players come through the club. 

You're clueless then.

Name a couple, not many, just a couple, so I can guage your cluelessness.

Edited by JyTees

3 minutes ago, Markymark said:

You’re letting your hatred cloud your judgment. 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Markymark said:

''Many''?

You're at it, mate. Separate your feelings for Levein the manager from him as a player. Since the early 80's, there have been very few players better than Craig Levein. That's not opinion. 

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Michael Stewart wants Hearts to lose today so he can continue being a smug arsehole. 

Argue about his family all being Hearts all you want, but we’ve Hearts fans on this board who wanted Hibs to beat us recently. 

We are all entitled to our opinion and I just happen to disagree with yours. I never mentioned his family incidentally if you read my post properly.

I am also not one of those who you claim wanted Hibs to beat us.

Just now, wavydavy said:

We are all entitled to our opinion and I just happen to disagree with yours. I never mentioned his family incidentally if you read my post properly.

I am also not one of those who you claim wanted Hibs to beat us.

I never accused you of such. I’m merely pointing out that, despite whatever his leanings were as a child, he is not as Hearts as you might think. 

His personal vendetta against the manager borders on the psychotic. 

8 minutes ago, Markymark said:

If you had a case you've just blown it  

Absolutely idiotic comments

10 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Clueless 

Or some brain injury 

Bridge of Djoum

Players who we could legitimately argue were around Levein's class.

John Robertson

Takis Fyssas

Rudi Skacel

Gary Mackay

Feel free to add to the list.

16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Make no mistake, Michael Stewart is hoping Hearts lose today. 

This. There is nothing he wants more than for people to say Michael Stewart is right. There's no doubt in my mind that a fair few Hearts supporters would be happy for us to lose if it meant Levein stepping aside.

What I like about Stewart is I don't feel he kow towa to the OF, possibly because he never played for either of them. As I've said before I quite like him as a pundit but his utter hatred for Levein clouds his judgement at times.

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

This. There is nothing he wants more than for people to say Michael Stewart is right. There's no doubt in my mind that a fair few Hearts supporters would be happy for us to lose if it meant Levein stepping aside.

What I like about Stewart is I don't feel he kow towa to the OF, possibly because he never played for either of them. As I've said before I quite like him as a pundit but his utter hatred for Levein clouds his judgement at times.

He reminds me of Chris Sutton. A very good pundit and does a sterling job of talking our game up. 

But it when it comes to talking about Celtic, all sense of impartiality and reason just go in the bin. 

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

John Robertson

Takis Fyssas

Rudi Skacel

Gary Mackay

You could add Jankaukas and that’s your lot. Not even sure Gary belongs there.

4 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

John Robertson

Takis Fyssas

Rudi Skacel

Gary Mackay

Sandy Jardine even in his mid 30s.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, S Form said:

I added Mackay purely for his commitment and phenomenal amount of appearances for the club. A man who always gave everything. You're right in saying he wasn't in the same class, though.

Janny was class, but we didn't see enough of him.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, ri Alban said:

Sandy Jardine even in his mid 30s.

Yes sir. Great shout. instrumental in Levein's development.

5 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

John Robertson

Takis Fyssas

Rudi Skacel

Gary Mackay

Oops - Pinilla, Niemi, Gordon too

I’m probably very biased here, because he was my first ever favourite Hearts player and is still in my top 5, but Thomas Flogel was a very classy player. 

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hogg was the one who done the attacking. He headbutted Levein before Levein punched him back.  It was filmed and on TV if you want to check that out.

I don't remember one single Hearts fan at the time saying Levein should never play for us again. In fact most Hearts fans were more worried about how long he would be suspended for.

31 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Most intelligent football fans find class players acceptable.

The less intelligent like me like class players who can throw a good punch.

8 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

John Robertson

Takis Fyssas

Rudi Skacel

Gary Mackay

As above and in addition

Colin cameron

paul hartley

stephen pressley 

Alan mclaren

john colquhoun 

craig Gordon 

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Colin Cameron

Great player. One of my all time boys.

Not in Levein's class, though.

3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Easy now.

Agree with your general point. You’d struggle to name a team’s worth of players who were the equal of Levein.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Markymark said:

As above and in addition

Colin cameron

paul hartley

stephen pressley 

Alan mclaren

john colquhoun 

craig Gordon 

Nope.

8 minutes ago, S Form said:

Mackay should be nowhere near the list. Great servant to the club, but limited ability.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, S Form said:

Agree with your general point. You’d struggle to name a team’s worth of players who were the equal of Levein.

Maybe deserves it's own thread. Don't want to derail this one.

It's a good argument, though. For instance, Colin Cameron was wonderful, a hero of mine. In my opinion though, not in Levein's class. 

To be honest, I'd rather we stick to comparing apples with apples. 

Levein was the best defender to wear a maroon jersey in my lifetime, bar none.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Markymark said:

Like I give a toss what you think...

Yet you answered me.

You didn't give a list of ''many''. the simple reason is that there aren't ''many'' better than him in the last 40 years or so.

12 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

I spoke to George McNeill, our sprint coach in the 1980s, earlier this season and I asked him about Levein's pace. He said Theo Walcott is the only player he has ever seen who is as fast. I asked about Cristiano Ronaldo and he said no, because of a shorter stride. To say Levein wasn't fast is laughable.

A bit off topic but...I remember some kind of sprint contest at half-time, in the late 80s, and if my memory serves me, it was George taking on some players. I can't remember which players, but does this ring a bell?

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Maybe deserves it's own thread. Don't want to derail this one.

It's a good argument, though. For instance, Colin Cameron was wonderful, a hero of mine. In my opinion though, not in Levein's class. 

Agree. I’ll desist now.