Michael Stewart

Phil Dunphy

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I started going to games when I was seven years old. Levein was in that team. I loved watching us play. We were absolutely untouchable at times, but also had games where we toiled. Quite topical after @Skippy Doodle‘s thread earlier.

Anyone who was there to watch the 1986 - 1998 Hearts teams should think themselves really fortunate to have watched some unbelievably good players at Tynecastle. Even though no medals were won, Craig Levein was about worth the entry fee on his own.

I was there watching us for both of Stewart’s spells at the club too. Massive difference is that Craig Levein was the genuine article. A Rolls Royce of a player. Genuinely a joy to watch on the pitch. Not seen a Hearts defender anywhere near his ability since. Allan McLaren probably the closest. Mickey Stewart was about the most overrated average midfielder ever to grace the Tynecastle turf in maroon. He absolutely could not take responsibility for his own failings ever. Misplace a pass, lose the ball, **** up a set piece? Start pointing at whoever was closest to him and blame them. I remember him passing the ball to the advertising hoardings once, visibly started twisting his head left and right looking for someone to blame and settled on Ian Black. Started pointing at him and screeching at him. Comedy stuff.

tlfa

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridge of Djoum

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• wavydavy

2 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

See this “medals” chat? Any Hearts fan who uses that is a ****ing arsehole. Hibs patter and utterly chronic. Same as it is when used against Gary MacKay. Even though I’m not a big fan of MacKay, he served Hearts with pride, and was a very good player indeed. Just like Levein has. 

This 100%. Pathetic coming from the vermin. Worse than pathetic coming from our own.  Folk can have their opinions on Craig One way or the other. They are entitled to that,  but the medals stuff coming from supposedly Hearts fans is truly idiotic.

Edited by Deevers

6 minutes ago, El Diez said:

Craig Levein remains to this day, one of the finest footballers I’ve been lucky enough to see playing for Heart of Midlothian.

Going back to my earlier point, I think it’s an age thing. If you were fortunate enough to have followed his playing career the very least you would do now is show the man some respect. I see it with guys I work with, I tell them how he was such a classy player who was destined for the very top and it’s clear they’re oblivious to that. 

Also, the injuries he had were catastrophic. You had to be there, I still feel sickened remembering when he got his last injury. You just knew that was it. It takes a strong character to do as well as he's done since giving up playing. A lot of people would have just chucked football completely.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Also, the injuries he had were catastrophic. You had to be there, I still feel sickened remembering when he got his last injury. You just knew that was it. It takes a strong character to do as well as he's done since giving up playing. A lot of people would have just chucked football completely.

Oh I was there.

Agree completely with you.

19 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Felt like I was reading a post I’d written myself. Spot on with everything.

Some of the players we had 86-98 were brilliant honest reliable pros.

Levein’s by far the best defender I’ve ever seen for us.

Spot on about Stewart too. Used to really wind me up when he blamed others for his utterly awful passing. He was a clown on the pitch. I actually warmed to him a little when he started being a pundit. 

For folk who never saw Levein, imagine combining the best qualities of Souttar and Berra in one defender, and adding 30% more speed, skill and hardness.

I started going to games when I was seven years old. Levein was in that team. I loved watching us play. We were absolutely untouchable at times, but also had games where we toiled. Quite topical after @Skippy Doodle‘s thread earlier.

Anyone who was there to watch the 1986 - 1998 Hearts teams should think themselves really fortunate to have watched some unbelievably good players at Tynecastle. Even though no medals were won, Craig Levein was about worth the entry fee on his own.

I was there watching us for both of Stewart’s spells at the club too. Massive difference is that Craig Levein was the genuine article. A Rolls Royce of a player. Genuinely a joy to watch on the pitch. Not seen a Hearts defender anywhere near his ability since. Allan McLaren probably the closest. Mickey Stewart was about the most overrated average midfielder ever to grace the Tynecastle turf in maroon. He absolutely could not take responsibility for his own failings ever. Misplace a pass, lose the ball, **** up a set piece? Start pointing at whoever was closest to him and blame them. I remember him passing the ball to the advertising hoardings once, visibly started twisting his head left and right looking for someone to blame and settled on Ian Black. Started pointing at him and screeching at him. Comedy stuff.

Wasn't alive at the time of Levein's playing career so I might be off but surely Fyssas could be up there? 

Personally I thought McLaren was marginally better than Levein. But it's like comparing a Jaguar with an Aston Martin. Stewart is like one of those cars you used to see at the side of pitches in the 80s.

Jack Torrance
17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

For folk who never saw Levein, imagine combining the best qualities of Souttar and Berra in one defender, and adding 30% more speed, skill and hardness.

5871BC65-E8B0-4384-93A7-868EE5035A3C.jpeg

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Out of curiosity, what has Michael Stewart ever won in football?

He was an unused sub when Hibs won the League Cup, as far as I can see he’s won nothing else. Boys a tool.

Michael Stewart will always hate the man who identified that he was a ****ing shite footballer.

Retired aged 30 - not because of injury but because of utter shiteyness.  

Levein, the player, was one of the best to wear maroon and his service to the club (and integral role in our revival after the Romanov shambles) will ensure he will be forever remembered.

Plus - he’ll get us a trophy in the next 2 years.  

Edited by Pants Shaton

On 16/01/2019 at 10:23, gjcc said:

“Giving youngsters a chance” you know, like sending them out on loan to give them first team experience to develop enough to make it into the hearts team.

Absolute tool. He’d be the first to lay into Levein for using too many youngsters. 

I think he did last year?

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Point is levein puts his head in the block managing and Stewart thinks he's got all the answers but not got the balls to manage 

CL has had plenty of time to shut Stewart up but he hasn't and it's getting to him.  Stewart hasn't said anything of the sort - he's pointed out, to CLs obvious anger, that CL has been piss poor on and off the pitch. CL needs to come up with some answers and he knows it. No point trying to pretend MS is making stuff up , that it's somehow personal when it's so obvious. But CL is trying to do just that , he doesn't attack MS points but attacks him personally. Because he doesn't have an answer. 

30 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Wasn't alive at the time of Levein's playing career so I might be off but surely Fyssas could be up there? 

Nope, not in the same league as Levein.  Great player though.

29 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Michael Stewart will always hate the man who identified that he was a ****ing shite footballer.

Retired aged 30 - not because of injury but because of utter shiteyness.  

Levein, the player, was one of the best to wear maroon and his service to the club (and integral role in our revival after the Romanov shambles) will ensure he will be forever remembered.

Plus - he’ll get us a trophy in the next 2 years.  

Ill put money on us never winning anything under Levein. 

14 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Nope, not in the same league as Levein.  Great player though.

Oh my! The lunatics have definitely escaped the asylum now. Takis was a superstar both internationally and domestically - some real blinkered views on this tonight 

6 minutes ago, Markymark said:

That's the spirit! Of everyone connected to Hearts past and present, Levein perhaps more than anyone deserves to win something with us. Hearts fans should be willing this to happen instead of talking down someone who's done so much for us on and off the park.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's the spirit! Of everyone connected to Hearts past and present, Levein perhaps more than anyone deserves to win something with us. Hearts fans should be willing this to happen instead of talking down someone who's done so much for us on and off the park.

I will us to win every game. I just don’t want Levein in charge any longer. 

Many reasons for this but stagnating under him. After a recent 5-0 drubbing from livingston we’ve scraped a couple of scrappy 1-0 victories and been pumped from the bottom of the league team. 

We had a good start to the season but that means nothing. We are now 6th in the league!! 

Go luck to anyone ever trying to tell CL  he was ever wrong about anything,ever!

Needs to go ,he doesn't understand the damage he's doing to our club,so I'll hold off on holding my breath.

9 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Oh my! The lunatics have definitely escaped the asylum now. Takis was a superstar both internationally and domestically - some real blinkered views on this tonight 

I think perhaps you may have been a little young to appreciate how good Levein was,if you were watching back then.

Just now, Markymark said:

I will us to win every game. I just don’t want Levein in charge any longer. 

Many reasons for this but stagnating under him. After a recent 5-0 drubbing from livingston we’ve scraped a couple of scrappy 1-0 victories and been pumped from the bottom of the league team. 

We had a good start to the season but that means nothing. We are now 6th in the league!! 

It's a tight league, one of the more interesting for a long time. We're just 6 pts off 3rd. What makes you think a change of manager now would be the best chance of making up that gap?

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's a tight league, one of the more interesting for a long time. We're just 6 pts off 3rd. What makes you think a change of manager now would be the best chance of making up that gap?

Our excellent start has saved our skin this season but our form over the past 10 games is relegation material. Only St Mirren and Hamilton picking up less points. 

I’d prefer to write of the season now and get a new man in charge. Levein isn’t getting the best out of these players now and you only need to look at Man Utd to see the difference of a change in personnel. These guys arent bursting a gut to impress Levein.

08888201-98C0-48ED-A585-1CFE8C22D5B4.png

Edited by Markymark
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Our excellent start has saved our skin this season but our form over the past 10 games is relegation material. Only St Mirren and Hamilton picking up less points. 

I’d prefer to write of the season now and get a new man in charge. Levein isn’t getting the best out of these players now and you only need to look at Man Utd to see the difference of a change in personnel. These guys arent bursting a gut to impress Levein.

08888201-98C0-48ED-A585-1CFE8C22D5B4.png

What was Aberdeen's form at the start of the season? And congrats to Killie for winning the Last 10 Games League Title!

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What was Aberdeen's form at the start of the season? And congrats to Killie for winning the Last 10 Games League Title!

You asked me a question and i answered it. You then decided to be a smart arse. 

22 minutes ago, Markymark said:

"Blinkered"?  Oh, the irony!

Levein was a player that was on his way to world class before his injury.  You were either not around to see him, which if that's the case, your opinion is worthless, or your clear hatred of the man is reinventing history.

Takis was class but in his time with Hearts was winding down and was not as good as Levein was in his prime.  How many of the greats in Europe did Takis play for?  18 months at Benfica, the rest in Greece before coming to Hearts.  This is not belittling Takis in the way you are belittling one of the best players I've seen at Tynecastle and, as a youngster, I was privileged to see Dave MacKay, Alex Young etc.

Obviously you have more issues with Levein than our present difficulties but, you know the saying, "When they going gets tough, the tough get going!"

In this case serial gnadger biters obviously ain't tough enough, except behind there keyboards, so time for them to get going.

Stewart is looking for someone to get his fan club going so, a much more productive time for you, communicating with the one member of that fan club, a certain @mikeystewart.

6 minutes ago, Markymark said:

You asked me a question and i answered it. You then decided to be a smart arse. 

I'm just saying it's pointless looking at current form over 10 games as form changes, eg Aberdeen and us. If Aberdeen can turn their season around, so can we.

Edited by Guest

I'm just saying it's pointless looking at current form as form changes, eg Aberdeen and us.

Nothing I’ve seen lately suggests our form is about to change.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

CL has had plenty of time to shut Stewart up but he hasn't and it's getting to him.  Stewart hasn't said anything of the sort - he's pointed out, to CLs obvious anger, that CL has been piss poor on and off the pitch. CL needs to come up with some answers and he knows it. No point trying to pretend MS is making stuff up , that it's somehow personal when it's so obvious. But CL is trying to do just that , he doesn't attack MS points but attacks him personally. Because he doesn't have an answer. 

If you don't think it IS personal you're not paying attention man

3 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

He never slated Gerrard when he tore about players telling them to man up. Didn’t say a word when Lennon and Parker went through Kamberi. Soon as CL says vanacek ‘was rubbish’ (which was true) all hell breaks loose. MS has a problem with CL. Who says he’s a hearts fan, there’s a photo kicking about from his younger days stating he was a Hibs fan. The boy is an arsehole.

Did anyone call out Brendan Rodgers when he slated the Thumb for his fitness and attitude ??

4 minutes ago, GYL said:

Did anyone call out Brendan Rodgers when he slated the Thumb for his fitness and attitude ??

Wonder what they'd have said about Brian Clough - "“The players haven't got enough heart to fill a thimble” 

pharmaceutical01

Remember Levein when he first came, he played  right midfield.. Was absolutely brilliant at that.. Then moved onto Central defence... He may have played with sandy Jardine athen.. Can't remember... If they did was our best central defensive partnership EVER

Wonder what they'd have said about Brian Clough - "“The players haven't got enough heart to fill a thimble” 

Don't have to go that far back, Chelsea manager Sarri questioned his players application, desire and will to win after the defeat to Arsenal.......what happened in their next game V Spurs ??

1 hour ago, Markymark said:

So he will join the vast majority of managers in the history of the club.

No biggie.

Dont like either of them but you're right 

Stewart is saying what we all know to be true wether you wanna admit it or not. Levein has no answers 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Off course it's personal, Michael steward a mouth piece who couldn't lace Craig leveins boots as a player and hasn't got the balls to manage 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Levein is the best player I have seen in maroon and I go back to 78.

It doesn't give him a free pass but his commitment to Hearts should earn him more respect than Mikey.

I’ll always maintain that had Levein avoided injury and made correct career moves (south and/or abroad) he had the latent ability to be the best Scottish defender of the last 40 years. 

On Stewart. Always struck me as a dislikeable cock-end. Come on big mouth, put your money where your mouth is and name in the hat for the hot seat at Easter Road? 

Sexton Hardcastle
24 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Anyone else think Stewart takes all his opinions from here?

Stewart is clueless. Him, Sutton, savage etc have tapped into this pantomime villain style pundit. He doesn’t really analyse games, he just says controversial things and looks to ruffle some feathers. It sells papers and gets clicks which is sad as it is probably as far from journalism as you can get. He does the same with his snp gig. 

Stewart like every other pundit is irrelevant. No more entitled to their position than you or I. Probably less so given his obvious agendas, likewise Bonner, Dodds etc.

loveofthegame
1 minute ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Stewart is clueless. Him, Sutton, savage etc have tapped into this pantomime villain style pundit. He doesn’t really analyse games, he just says controversial things and looks to ruffle some feathers. It sells papers and gets clicks which is sad as it is probably as far from journalism as you can get. He does the same with his snp gig. 

Nailed it. No insightful analysis at all, just soundbites.

2 hours ago, Markymark said:

You never seen Levein if that's your retort !

Edited by Boab

Craig Levein is not only one of the best players I've seen play for us but one of the best Scottish players I've ever seen. He is a legend. I'm not enjoying the football sometimes but I've never known a club to be so unlucky with injuries over the years. We can never seem to get any momentum and how can you legislate for the 2 mistakes against Dundee?

Having read the edinburghlive interview in full I agree with every word Levein says in it.

For Thompson to say it was the worst man management he had ever seen just shows what we are up against.

Levein is not beyond criticism but Hearts fans siding with these arseholes coming out with click bait punditry are being pretty Hibs.

We all know that, for whatever the reason, nearly all of the Scottish media creams itself whenever something goes wrong with us. Been going on for years.

It is them against us.

And some Hearts fans are siding with “them”.

Thats far more pathetic than anything Levein said IMO.

Edited by Jammy T

2 hours ago, Markymark said:

Thats a pretty naive statement to make.  If you ever saw Levein play, you wouldn't even begin to compare Takis with him because there's is just no comparison.  Levein was a class above and had it not been for injury, he would have made it to the very top.  He had absolutely everything.

5 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Absolutely agree with this, and I've never liked Michael Stewart. 

However, on this occasion he has a valid point (ignoring the snidey digs).

3 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Potentially, Levein could have played anywhere. 

I've never seen a better footballer at Tynecastle. 

4 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

Potentially, Levein could have played anywhere. 

I've never seen a better footballer at Tynecastle. 

I've heard pretty much the same thing from many. It's a bummer I never got to see him back then