Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So some of the pundits have been talking shite then!  According to that rule it must still be deliberate. The Man U one was 100% not deliberate, the defender turns his back immediately.  Perhaps you could say he deserved it for being a coward but there’s no such rule.

By the letter of the law, loads of non penalties (non deliberate hand balls) are being given these days.  Of course, as far as Sevco are concerned, nothing will change for them - they’ll continue to get non penalties.

Turning your back is deliberate. 

If you do that then your arm by default is moving as well,  unless you are saying walking backwards is a natural movement to tackle or block? 

The very nature of turning your back makes it an unnatural movement and his hand is out. 

His hand isn't directly being moved to the ball, but by turning your back and spinning round, which is delebrate your hand comes out making the whole movement delebrate and therefore hand ball imo. 

Good that this is being punished now. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Elwood P
31 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Wonder what var would say about the ball hitting Jamie Hamill clean in the puss would be?

Probably still a penalty against. 

That made me actually laugh out loud.

47 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Wonder what var would say about the ball hitting Jamie Hamill clean in the puss would be?

Probably still a penalty against. 

Wonder what it would say about our pen in the 2012 semi?

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

IFAB, FIFA, UEFA determine how the laws should be interpreted.  And they change each year.

It's up to the wider football community to make a proactive effort to understand the changes.  Or chalkenge them back.

Even on this thread folk are still talking about deliberate hand ball.

I'm not a kick in the backside off 50, and am struggling to recall any deliberate hand balls in the box despite having seen hundreds / thousands of hand ball offences with penalties given.

Nailed it.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

IFAB, FIFA, UEFA determine how the laws should be interpreted.  And they change each year.

It's up to the wider football community to make a proactive effort to understand the changes.  Or chalkenge them back.

Even on this thread folk are still talking about deliberate hand ball.

I'm not a kick in the backside off 50, and am struggling to recall any deliberate hand balls in the box despite having seen hundreds / thousands of hand ball offences with penalties given.

Suarez for Uruguay was a deliberate handball.

32 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

'Deliberate' 

What does it mean? 

It's enough to have your arm in the wrong position. Which is also deliberate. 

Or you argue nothing is deliberate unless say handle on line to stop goal. McGhee at Aberdeen in that definition wasn't deliberate. 

The penalty kick was introduced because way back when defenders would deliberately handle the ball away from opposing players to stop them scoring.  So if we go back to that , when you look at what penalties are given for now , it' s a travesty of why the law was introduced.  It's like the old obstruction foul ; as a newly qualified ref I had to go to a workshop with the older hands to get  a run through of points of contention. We were told if a player has the ball within 1m then it' s deemed to be "under control" and the player can put his body between him and his opponent and do whatever. The newbies said, well no, that's not defined in the laws of the game.  That's when we found out that we passed the refs exam based on the laws of the game but then UEFA/FIFA were giving additional guidelines on how these situations were to be reffed. You can actually find them on UEFA's website.  

17 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Suarez for Uruguay was a deliberate handball.

You got any more out of the thousands you've seen given, or just that one? ?

Footballfirst

The interpretation of what constitutes hand ball currently being applied in Europe is more in favour of the attacking side.  In Scotland, the interpretation tends to favour the defenders.

IMO, a "deliberate act" does not just cover moving your hand to the ball. Making yourself bigger by having your arms/elbow extended beyond your sides makes you bigger and more likely to block a shot or cross, therefore should be penalised as hand ball.  I think I'm more in line with the European interpretation than that applied in Scotland.

I believe that the new guidance to be implemented next season will put us closer to the European norm.

6 hours ago, JyTees said:

You got any more out of the thousands you've seen given, or just that one? ?

Loads more but I’ll keep them to myself.

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The interpretation of what constitutes hand ball currently being applied in Europe is more in favour of the attacking side.  In Scotland, the interpretation tends to favour the defenders.

IMO, a "deliberate act" does not just cover moving your hand to the ball. Making yourself bigger by having your arms/elbow extended beyond your sides makes you bigger and more likely to block a shot or cross, therefore should be penalised as hand ball.  I think I'm more in line with the European interpretation than that applied in Scotland.

I believe that the new guidance to be implemented next season will put us closer to the European norm.

I appreciate your providing some additional perspective with the differences between Scotland and Europe - however, I can't agree with your interpretation of 'deliberate'. Extending your arms may be something you do to hold yourself in position or maintain balance, and I don't know if it can be avoided when extending one's legs.

To be slightly facetious about it, are players going to start seeking surgery to have their arms permanently cast in a 'natural' position?

9 minutes ago, Thaw said:

I appreciate your providing some additional perspective with the differences between Scotland and Europe - however, I can't agree with your interpretation of 'deliberate'. Extending your arms may be something you do to hold yourself in position or maintain balance, and I don't know if it can be avoided when extending one's legs.

To be slightly facetious about it, are players going to start seeking surgery to have their arms permanently cast in a 'natural' position?

Apparently UEFA  Head Referees had a meeting in London recently and if the use of the arm makes your body bigger, then a penalty should be awarded and will be under VAR.

The circumstances around what is determined making your body bigger surely must have been explained.  Because as with last night, or potential circumstances someone will always claim that by being side on, his body coverage was actually smaller.

Interestingly the rules will also change next year so that players no longer need to think it is safer just to put their to their hands behind their backs whdn defending a cross ball as habds by / close to sides won't be deemed  deliberate / infringement.

So bringing everything together, coaches probably need to tell defenders to close down attackers quicker to mitigate giving away hand ball infringements.

hmfc_liam06

What I'm finding staggering is the number of people who just don't get VAR. And not just fans, people who are actually paid to cover the game.

It is called Video Assisted Referee. Assisted being the key word.

The issue is, people think that suddenly using VAR that we'll eradicate every single anomoly in the game. It's simply not the case. It is there to aid the referee in coming to a decision.

It's still a human decision.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What I'm finding staggering is the number of people who just don't get VAR. And not just fans, people who are actually paid to cover the game.

The issue is, people think that suddenly using VAR that we'll eradicate every single anomoly in the game. It's simply not the case. It is there to aid the referee in coming to a decision.

VAR in a nutshell.

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The penalty kick was introduced because way back when defenders would deliberately handle the ball away from opposing players to stop them scoring.  So if we go back to that , when you look at what penalties are given for now , it' s a travesty of why the law was introduced.  It's like the old obstruction foul ; as a newly qualified ref I had to go to a workshop with the older hands to get  a run through of points of contention. We were told if a player has the ball within 1m then it' s deemed to be "under control" and the player can put his body between him and his opponent and do whatever. The newbies said, well no, that's not defined in the laws of the game.  That's when we found out that we passed the refs exam based on the laws of the game but then UEFA/FIFA were giving additional guidelines on how these situations were to be reffed. You can actually find them on UEFA's website.  

Is this related to defeners shepherding the ball out of play, when they seem to have the license to manhandle the striker out of the way without ever touching the ball (or even looking at it)?

So...what is the rule on that?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

The player turned his back and, in doing so, moved his arm in the way of a goal bound shot. Penalty. I don't like man u. 

Footballfirst

This backs up the view I expressed earlier

Martyn ZieglerVerified account @martynziegler 54m54 minutes ago

Man Utd/PSG handball - would probably not have been judged a handball in the PL but is in the CL. Follows advice given to referees by UEFA - this is what Roberto Rosetti, UEFA's referees chief, said in Jan on guidance for VARs re handball:

D1DKXX-W0AA9NO6.png

Martyn ZieglerVerified account @martynziegler 57m57 minutes ago

There should be more consistency across football next season following clarification from IFAB - which means will be more handballs given in English football than currently.

Edited by Footballfirst

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

This backs up the view I expressed earlier

Martyn ZieglerVerified account @martynziegler 54m54 minutes ago

Man Utd/PSG handball - would probably not have been judged a handball in the PL but is in the CL. Follows advice given to referees by UEFA - this is what Roberto Rosetti, UEFA's referees chief, said in Jan on guidance for VARs re handball:

D1DKXX-W0AA9NO6.png

Martyn ZieglerVerified account @martynziegler 57m57 minutes ago

There should be more consistency across football next season following clarification from IFAB - which means will be more handballs given in English football than currently.

Yeah

The point is VAR has a certain way of dealing with things.

Part of the package of having VAR. 

8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not after my VAR-Skynet enhancement comes on line.

Sexton Hardcastle
18 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

How they don’t fully review the Roma shout at the end is why VAR will never work well. 

Absolutely no consistency in these calls. If that’s outside the box it’s a foul all day. Shocking but Roma didn’t deserve it and edf will get the bullet this week.

And there he’s gone.

Incredible for Ranieri to walk back into another high profile gig. Like the guy so hope it works out.

TwigTheWonderKid
14 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

And there he’s gone.

Incredible for Ranieri to walk back into another high profile gig. Like the guy so hope it works out.

Story goes that this is only a short term answer & it's Sarri's job should he get binned by Chelsea. 

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Manchester City v Schalke 04  (agg. 3-2)

Juventus v Atletico Madrid. (agg. 0-2)

Wednesday 13th March 2019

Barcelona v Lyon  (agg. 0-0)

Bayern Munich v Liverpool  (agg. 0-0)

Going for Manchester City and Juve to qualify on Tuesday, and Barca and Liverpool to do likewise on Wednesday.

chester copperpot
28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Going for Manchester City and Juve to qualify on Tuesday, and Barca and Liverpool to do likewise on Wednesday.

Can you go for Bayern please? Knowing your predictions I would love for it to be Bayern as that's almost a bye for Liverpool  :D

Mr Elwood P
31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Can’t see Juventus going through. Atletico Madrid have started time wasting already. 

chester copperpot
56 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Just been thinking, perhaps Bayern Munich have a far better chance of progressing the morns night.

How's that @chester copperpot ?    :biggrin: 

Thanks Morgan mate. God bless :D

PeterintheRain
On 07/03/2019 at 09:57, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The player turned his back and, in doing so, moved his arm in the way of a goal bound shot. Penalty. I don't like man u. 

It was going over the bar.  And he had his back turned so couldn't know exactly where the ball was going to hit him.  Also it was the cheating manchester scum.  Not a penalty.

If they just adopted the same instant replay as used by every normal sport that isn't so arrogantly up their own arses then it isn't a penalty either.

Referee makes a decision.  Decision is reviewed.   If there is not overwhelming evidence to change the decision then the decision stands.   That way the match officials are still the most important arbiter of the rules.

2 minutes ago, DVB said:

I see Schalke have a player called McKennie playing for them. Anyone know if he’s Scottish?

american

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
18 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

It was going over the bar.  And he had his back turned so couldn't know exactly where the ball was going to hit him.  Also it was the cheating manchester scum.  Not a penalty.

If they just adopted the same instant replay as used by every normal sport that isn't so arrogantly up their own arses then it isn't a penalty either.

Referee makes a decision.  Decision is reviewed.   If there is not overwhelming evidence to change the decision then the decision stands.   That way the match officials are still the most important arbiter of the rules.

All the referees (VAR, match, TV) said it was & 2 refs, who work beside me, said it was a pen, too. As far as I'm concerned it was a clear penalty. 

Mainly because the defender is a pussy.

Bazzas right boot

Ref at the jive v a Madrid game is quality. 

Letting everything go. 

A Madrid would have certain posters on here crying. 

Just now, Taffin said:

3-0 Juve. Ronaldo hat trick.

A Levein special from Atletico. :th_cool:

one goal wins it for atletico.

i doubt that will happen though

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Juve will win the CL. They’ve got Chiellini at the back and Ronnie upfront. 

i do think they will come close. And all this happens when buffon leaves.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Tuesday 12th March 2019

:verysmug:

Cruyff Turn
Just now, milky_26 said:

i do think they will come close. And all this happens when buffon leaves.

Shame. Buffon deserved a CL medal. Best keeper ever probably. That’s what they bought Ronnie for though. The fact that they’ve been thereabouts but beaten by Ronaldo every season, they had to take that threat away. I don’t think anyone is better than Juve now.