Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

1 minute ago, the_jailer said:

Hopefully Hibs don’t get Kamara , He’s a cracking a player

Dundee said they wanted over a million at the start of the window but looks like Hibs will get him for a fraction of that now. I get the impression Dundee are in soapy bubble!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

Boys a quality player,played against my pro youth team when he was 15yrs.after 1st period had to look at the team sheet to see who it was.His movement,touch and awareness was top drawer.Will definitely be a good signing,playing with better players,and I predict he will be a success

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Has he been playing?

Answer my question. Not much. Strange one. Perhaps a player in the opposite direction?

Tennant's  6's

Hefty amount for a 21/ 22 yr old who's not been a regular for Dundee & still looks lightweight.  

If it was a free or a swap deal then fair enough.  Is he any better than Currie or Keena?

Would prefer the money to go towards their midfielder Kamara. 

Tennant's  6's
5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Dundee said they wanted over a million at the start of the window but looks like Hibs will get him for a fraction of that now. I get the impression Dundee are in soapy bubble!

Would love it if we could hijack their bid, as he would be a good addition. 

The_razors_edge

For what it’s worth my Dundee supporting mate is spewing that he’s leaving but conceded Dundee aren’t the right club for him. Normally a good sign if fans from the team he’s leaving are spewing

portobellojambo1
7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

PJ1 that’s a lot of words to say you dinae have a scooby who he is or if he’s any good?

True :)

If I'm paying a fixed fee for internet access I like to get my money's worth :)

29 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

More of an attacking midfielder apparently. Seen him referred to as the “Scottish Aaron Ramsay” in an article before ??

Don’t know the lad but if that’s his best role then it’d be a great time for him to be at Tyne. Learning from arguably Scotland’s most successful att. midfielder in recent years - Naismith.

Maybe planning on SN bringing Wighton, Harry and McDonald on in the same the way Hughes and Berta have done with Souttar. 

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Hefty amount for a 21/ 22 yr old who's not been a regular for Dundee & still looks lightweight.  

If it was a free or a swap deal then fair enough.  Is he any better than Currie or Keena?

I think the amount quoted will be a guess. Certainly can't see us paying £250k.

4 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

nHefty amount for a 21/ 22 yr old who's not been a regular for Dundee & still looks lightweight.  

The Sun are saying £250k but a six figure sum could be as low as £100k.

Edited by JamboAl

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

The Su are saying £250k but a six figure sum could be as low as £100k.

Could be as low as £1,000.99 :)

i wish jj was my dad
14 minutes ago, The rat catcher said:

Barely aware of him. Underwhelmed.

Standard response to most of our signings this season.

Sierra Delta

Interesting signing but not convinced that we're spending £250k on him, and if we are then I'm not convinced that we should be. 

Surely Dundee aren’t going to sell their best player with around 3 days of the window left? Kamara would be a brilliant signing for Hibs unfortunately but would be astonished if Dundee sold him, unless they need the money badly. They quoted teams 1 million at the beginning of the window.

In regards to Wighton if it is 250k then that looks very steep. I’d be very surprised if we are actually paying that for him. Must be some talent.

Hungry hippo
Just now, Sierra Delta said:

Interesting signing but not convinced that we're spending £250k on him, and if we are then I'm not convinced that we should be. 

Yip. The same signings that apparently gave us a weaker starting XI than last season.

38 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

10 in 100. 

I know nowt about the lad. He must be in midfield surely? Cant be an out and out striker with those stats?

I’ve seen him a bit a youth level. He’s a link between midfield and striker. Probably a bit like oor Naisy. He does have huge potential and had a horrible injury. Could be a souttar or could be a Robbie muirhead, depends how motivated he is. I’m assuming this is a like for like replacement for Edwards so good to see management moving productively. 

5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I think the amount quoted will be a guess. Certainly can't see us paying £250k.

There's no way I would want us to pay £250k for a guy that might be a bit of a gamble.  £100k - £150k max.

Just now, MrB1to4 said:

I’ve seen him a bit a youth level. He’s a link between midfield and striker. Probably a bit like oor Naisy. He does have huge potential and had a horrible injury. Could be a souttar or could be a Robbie muirhead, depends how motivated he is. I’m assuming this is a like for like replacement for Edwards so good to see management moving productively. 

Sounds a bit like where McDonald would play. Odd signing given Kenna and McDonald are big prospects and occupy similar areas of the pitch.

10 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

True :)

If I'm paying a fixed fee for internet access I like to get my money's worth :)

The mind boggles....a man with unlimited internet access ??

4 minutes ago, MrB1to4 said:

That's what I thought as well.

Just now, bistokid said:

Sounds a bit like where McDonald would play. Odd signing given Kenna and McDonald are big prospects and occupy similar areas of the pitch.

For me Keena is more of an out and out striker. I’d say macdonald is a good comparison but If we have upgraded Edwards leaving to Wighton coming in, I’m all for!

2 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Its buying for the future if Souttar McDonald Cochrane Morrison Kenna and this lad are the future then we’ve got a lot to look forward too

BonningtonJambo

Not gonna lie and pretend i've seen or remembered watching him play but i trust the managment team the last lad we signed from the city of dundee who was struggling for game time/form worked out pretty good 

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Its buying for the future if Souttar McDonald Cochrane Morrison Kenna and this lad are the future then we’ve got a lot to look forward too

Nothing against that and hopeful it will work out, just slightly apprehensive we are impeding our current prospects and spending money whilst doing it. A CF and CH are still areas we need to address on top of the Wighton deal.

WheatfieldWarrior
12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Aye, or £1000 .01

Still a penny above Rangers opening bid.

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

1 minute ago, bistokid said:

Nothing against that and hopeful it will work out, just slightly apprehensive we are impeding our current prospects and spending money whilst doing it. A CF and CH are still areas we need to address on top of the Wighton deal.

Tomorrow maybe.

wattie exploited
31 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

100k not 250k

not according to the papers but then again it is the sun !!:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

Graham Thomson
1 hour ago, magicTs said:

If true that will put the Sow speculation to bed once and for all.

I think we are buying him for the future, the Management clearly see good potential in the lad, 

I don't think it will have any bearing whether or not we bring in another striker this week.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

Not convinced on this one however I trust Craig’s judgement everything seems to be going his way so absolutely welcome this with open arms.

Edited by HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

2 minutes ago, Graham Thomson said:

I think we are buying him for the future, the Management clearly see good potential in the lad, 

I don't think it will have any bearing whether or not we bring in another striker this week.

Agree that he’s likely to be a longer term part of the plans but I’d be very surprised if we bring in another striker not called Vanecek this week if Wighton does indeed sign. 

8 minutes ago, bistokid said:

IMO the introduction of the reserve league will make a big difference. More opportunities for these lads to get better experience against senior pros than they would’ve playing in the youth leagues. Burns going to Livi is a good move and I suspect Kenna may go out again also for one last season.

3 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

not according to the papers but then again it is the sun !!:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

If it’s 250k then that is looking very steep. The Scottish Sun are usally decent for transfer stories regarding Hearts so it may actually be true.

Struggling to see how Dundee could justify asking for, and Hearts paying, 250k given he is in the final year of his contract and out of favour. Dundee are in a bit of a desperate position in terms of strengthening before the window closes so can't see them pushing for top dollar. Would imagine closer to 100k with a few add ons.

NaturalOrder74

I have such bad judgement with these things I remember thinking Souttar would be bad from Dundee united cos I’m sure they were like bottom of the league when we got him bad he turned out amazing, I thought Maclean would be pointless but he’s pulling his weight so you never know maybe this guy will somehow just get perfectly in the squad

10 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

and I suspect Kenna may go out again also for one last season.

Who? ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, magicTs said:

If true that will put the Sow speculation to bed once and for all.

Until the summer, at least :D

rudi must stay
12 minutes ago, Ministry MK2 said:

Odd if we spend £250k on Wighton, we could get Shankland for that fee.

Yes we could. But Wighton seems far more versatile to me, and actually a better footballer. He can play a bit, you can see on YouTube he has good link up play

1 hour ago, Brian Badonde said:

I was listening to the terrace podcast and they reckon Dundee paid a six figure sum to us for Jack Hamilton. 

Would not surprise me. I think Hearts rated Hamilton, but it was clear the lad needed a fresh start somewhere else. 

22 minutes ago, Ministry MK2 said:

Odd if we spend £250k on Wighton, we could get Shankland for that fee.

Not odd if we don't want Shankland.

If we have paid somewhere in the region of £100k then the deal makes sense, I presume the development fee they would expect at the end if his contract is more than that. Dundee fan I work with said to me this morning that McCann doesn't really fancy him, they were surprised he only came on late when they were trying to save the game on Saturday for instance. Always rated him as talented but feeling his way back after his injury. 

I think we are buying him as a project player to develop over time, I see us playing him in the wide areas of the pitch and certainly not as a direct replacement for Lafferty.  I trust Craig Levein with this one, he is very very good at making promising players with potential into successful footballers.  And I don’t think this is instead Of Sow / Vanecek. 

7 hours ago, brux said:

He will not make it at hearts unfortunately, not good enough.

....oh look out for little miss sunshine...

The lad has definite potential, could see him doing well in a better team than Dundee..!