Mitchell returns on a season long loan (confirmed)

thehibsaregay

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

He is our best striker since Robbo.

I'm going to assume you are basing that purely on scoring statistics?

Do you think he is better than Jankauskas, Bednar, Fuller and De Vreis 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• sadj

• Famous 1874

• Agentjambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He did say DM was on his target list which isn't the same as saying we're going to get him  - unless CL confided that in you.

I also read somewhere that after signing Doyle CL said he was now finished with signings so it would be wise for me to wait and see.

Who said we were going to get him. Your imagination? Because Levein didn't. And nor did I. 

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Add Andrius Velicka to that list.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Add Andrius Velicka to that list.

Nowhere near as good as Lafferty.

Janny and Bednar where better though. As was MDV.  Fuller was here about 5 mins. 

Lafferty is hard to judge. He’s everything we’ve been waiting for in a striker: i.e. he scores goals, he gets people on their feet, he’s the type of player everyone else will hate and therefore it’s an easy pathway to cult hero status. 

Is he he better than Jankauskas/ Bednar? Perhaps not. But I’m certain he is more important to this Hearts team than they were to the 05/06 team.

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Juanjo15 said:

Nowhere near as good as Lafferty.

Janny and Bednar where better though. As was MDV.  Fuller was here about 5 mins. 

Scoring wise he was though. 

Velicka - 11 goals, 3 assists in 20 games league games 07/08

Lafferty - 10 goals, 0 assists in 30 league games 17/18 

scott herbertson
10 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Lafferty is hard to judge. He’s everything we’ve been waiting for in a striker: i.e. he scores goals, he gets people on their feet, he’s the type of player everyone else will hate and therefore it’s an easy pathway to cult hero status. 

Is he he better than Jankauskas/ Bednar? Perhaps not. But I’m certain he is more important to this Hearts team than they were to the 05/06 team.

He's certainly not better than Jankauskas, though he may make a bigger contribution to our team. He brings goals AND excitement - that's what we all want to see

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We should try and get the lad Chong from Utd.....he looks a real star in the making.

Sounds good

tommy-chong.jpg

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Who said we were going to get him. Your imagination? Because Levein didn't. And nor did I. 

Don't know what you're trying to prove but you can have the argument to yourself mate.

Hackney Hearts
3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Scoring wise he was though. 

Velicka - 11 goals, 3 assists in 20 games league games 07/08

Lafferty - 10 goals, 0 assists in 30 league games 17/18 

Didn't Lafferty score 12 league goals? It was 19 in all competitions.*

Edit: * Velicka got 14 in 07/08

Edited by Hackney Hearts

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Didn't Lafferty score 12 league goals? It was 19 in all competitions.*

Edit: * Velicka got 14 in 07/08

I beg your pardon, yes you are correct, he did, my mistake. He scored 19 in 41, 12 in the league, 4 in LC group stages and 3 in the Scottish Cup.

Still, he's not the best striker or in general (as a goalscorer) we've had since Robbo in terms of either ability, or goals to games ratio, and none of the others mentioned had the luxury of 4 LC group games v lower league opposition.

Rudi (16 in 2005/06, 13 in 2010/11, 12 in 2011/12)and Hartley (14 in 2005/06) scored more from midfield in the league than anyone mentioned since Robbo and Colin Cameron also scored 12 in a league campaign (2001/02).) Mark de Vries has the best league total since Robbo scoring 15 in 2002/03. 

I don't want this to come across as an anti Lafferty post because he's great for us and I think he'd have scored more in the league had we had the midfielders and wide players we have this season, plus Naisy (for longer). Had he not been in the team, in all reality we'd have finished way down in the bottom 6. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Don't know what you're trying to prove but you can have the argument to yourself mate.

You seem to enjoy changing posters words to suit your argument. Like I say your opinions are not as relevant as the manager who I quoted. That's all

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You seem to enjoy changing posters words to suit your argument. Like I say your opinions are not as relevant as the manager who I quoted. That's all

Very good.

Have it your way.

17 hours ago, DH1986 said:

We should try and get the lad Chong from Utd.....he looks a real star in the making.

excellent idea £420m

Kirky Jambo
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

I hope we can get him back what a difference he’d make

Was thinking that today - he’d have had a field day. Instead we had Mulraney punting it out the park time after time

gashauskis9
On 20/07/2018 at 23:24, DH1986 said:

Fellaini and Gullit’s love child

C95DE8DB-EEBA-464C-95CE-27D112F835CD.png

On 20/07/2018 at 23:16, scott herbertson said:

He's certainly not better than Jankauskas, though he may make a bigger contribution to our team. He brings goals AND excitement - that's what we all want to see

Based solely on time at Hearts I'd say Lafferty was/is without doubt better. Based on their full careers Jankauskas was better

davemclaren
1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Based solely on time at Hearts I'd say Lafferty was/is without doubt better. Based on their full careers Jankauskas was better

Really???

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Really???

Yep. Never thought much of Jankauskas and when you look at the team he had around him too compared to Lafferty.

Back on topic we really could have done with Mitchell yesterday, Mulraney didn't look sure of himself at all at times

Never Let Them Forget
30 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Yep. Never thought much of Jankauskas and when you look at the team he had around him too compared to Lafferty.

Back on topic we really could have done with Mitchell yesterday, Mulraney didn't look sure of himself at all at times

Jankauskas had the most ability than anyone during the Romanov years, although second season age caught up with him (Fyssas also).

39 minutes ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Jankauskas had the most ability than anyone during the Romanov years, although second season age caught up with him (Fyssas also).

My recollection of him was that he wasn't particularly great. Maybe I just had heightened expectations of a CL winner

On 7/20/2018 at 23:24, DH1986 said:

Unfortunately it looks like we've signed Dung instead.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, RS86 said:

I agree re Mitchell...and Mulraney. 

kingantti1874
11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Fellaini and Gullit’s love child

C95DE8DB-EEBA-464C-95CE-27D112F835CD.png

He's also an incredible player..  there is little possibility of this guy going on loan..  and if he does.. it'll be to a big big club 

kingantti1874
53 minutes ago, RS86 said:

My recollection of him was that he wasn't particularly great. Maybe I just had heightened expectations of a CL winner

Eh. Fyssas best left back we've ever had period.. and everything janny did was absolute class

Special Agent Dale Cooper
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Eh. Fyssas best left back we've ever had period.. and everything janny did was absolute class

Fyssas was then and is still my favourite Hearts player I've seen. So calm and collected it was unreal.

Jankauskas was excellent 70% of the time and you could see he was a step above. However there were a few times I felt he looked disinterested, which was fair enough when you consider the standard of Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Romanov being a ***** caught up with them you mean.

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I agree re Mitchell...and Mulraney. 

Possibly will take time for the lad to adjust as it will be new to him tracking back and doing more defensive work (as he alluded to in his recent interview) but he needs to do better than that with the chances he get or Garuccio will be keeping him benched (wouldn't object if Ben can do a better job though of course).

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

See, again that's something to factor in. Janny had supply from Takis, Skacel, Hartley and had Bednar to play off which Lafferty doesn't have anything close to. You're right though, Fyssas was immense

Edited by RS86

It should have been ten
8 hours ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Fyssas, Skacel and Hartley for me 

rudi must stay

He's also an incredible player..  there is little possibility of this guy going on loan..  and if he does.. it'll be to a big big club 

Chong will break through this season. He's really impressed 

The 4 best loan players we had last season: 

Mitchell

Naismith

Adao

Milinkovic

We needed to resign these guys and augment them with 3 or 4 good, solid, proven signings. Not only did we only manage to bring back 1 of them thus losing 3 of our better players we lost our top class keeper so 4 of our starting 11 down. We then replaced them with players of lesser quality and added poorer quality than we needed with the additional signings. 

Anyone thinking this season will be any better is delusional. We are a weaker side than last season in numerous positions. It’s laughable how we go about recruiting and building a first 11 never mind a squad with quality depth. 

The White Cockade

Fyssas was class first year but his legs had gone second season 

Was miles off the pace in the CL qualifiers we played 

10 minutes ago, magicTs said:

The 4 best loan players we had last season: 

Mitchell

Naismith

Adao

Milinkovic

We needed to resign these guys and augment them with 3 or 4 good, solid, proven signings. Not only did we only manage to bring back 1 of them thus losing 3 of our better players we lost our top class keeper so 4 of our starting 11 down. We then replaced them with players of lesser quality and added poorer quality than we needed with the additional signings. 

Anyone thinking this season will be any better is delusional. We are a weaker side than last season in numerous positions. It’s laughable how we go about recruiting and building a first 11 never mind a squad with quality depth. 

The season is upon us and we certainly seem to be weaker than last year. The new players will obviously need time but people on here were alluding to a signing that would excite us, which hasn’t materialised. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I find it staggering some don't think we need a player of his quality. Well covered apparently. 

Nookie Bear
On 22/07/2018 at 11:02, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Fyssas was then and is still my favourite Hearts player I've seen. So calm and collected it was unreal.

Jankauskas was excellent 70% of the time and you could see he was a step above. However there were a few times I felt he looked disinterested, which was fair enough when you consider the standard of Scottish football.

That moment he scored his only goal for Hearts had me shrieking like a teenage girl at a One Direction* gig. What a moment!

*apologies for the already outdated reference

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:45, davie1980 said:

How many goals did they score each season?

I know that this thread is about Mitchell. But below is the team we had this time last year when we were knocked out this competition, drawing with Dunfermline 2-2.  I'm not sure we're weaker now - but I may be delusional.

13 Hamilton

24 McGhee

4 Souttar Substituted for Nowak at 53'minutes

6 Berra

2 Smith

8 Buaben Substituted for Stockton at 60'minutes

15 Cowie

30 Brandon

10 Sutchuin-Djoum Substituted for Martin at 75'minutes

9  Lafferty

77 Esmael Gonçalves

Substitutes

3 Smith-Brown

16 Randall

19 Nowak

21 Martin

23 Stockton

25 Currie

31 Noring

Dalstonjambo
On 7/22/2018 at 10:04, RS86 said:

Always found this an interesting viewpoint. In my opinion Jankauskas (and fyssas) were absolutely incredible. He started to lose interest, but that first season he was brilliant.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone know if he got on last night? Sub, all the rave reviews are for Chong

1 hour ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

How many goals did they score each season?

Less than Lafferty did.

But that's my point. I don't go purely on scoring statistics to justify who the best striker was.

Jankauskas for example, was levels above Lafferty, he may have only scored about 12 goals but he was a better striker than Lafferty. 

2 hours ago, cb1874 said:

Obviously I'd love to see him back here but that is looking less and less likely.

Failing that, I'd love to see him cut it at Man U, to be able to say we played a part in that success.

Came on for Luke Shaw on 75 minutes.

Played from the start. Edit wrong game,  Was a sub last night came on. 

Edited by Juanjo15