*** Betfred Cup 2018 - Raith Rovers v Heart of Midlothian ***

tartofmidlothian

11 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Nothing to do with the games.

It's financial. 

We will increase our budget by a couple of million in the next few years. 

With that will come the ability to sign a higher calibre of player.

On top of that our youngsters like Cochrane will have a few more years of experience under their belts.

I don't know if CL can get us winning things or not. Some on here don't value the the importance of a team being given time to gel. I find that incredible and it's obvious they have never played actual football before. So I'm waiting before passing judgment.

And who's fault is it we have ripped up a team and started again...again?

Levein was brought in to oversee the football department and ensure continuity. Since Neilson left it has been a shambles. We shouldn't need to have 'gelled' in order to comfortably beat Raith Rovers or at least have managed to creat some chances prior to a final 10 minute assault on their goal.

Edited by Taffin

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Cruyff Turn

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• iantjambo

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Why should he? He sent out a team more than capable of strolling this game. The fact that all that experience decided it couldn’t be arsed is hardly his fault. He done the right thing in publicly slagging them off. I don’t doubt they got the message more personally in the changing rooms. Well done the three kids that came on and turned it around.

You think that the likes of Berra Naismith and Lafferty couldn’t be arsed ? You agree that’s why we didn’t win ? Jesus !

davemclaren
Just now, Escobar PHM said:

You think that the likes of Berra Naismith and Lafferty couldn’t be arsed ? You agree that’s why we didn’t win ? Jesus !

Lafferty didn’t look fit to me. 

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If we get three points deducted then they are certainly less meaningful, if not then we can still win the section with two wins. Failure to qualify due to an administrative ****** up isn’t entirely Levein’s fault. 

Of course it is. Even with a 3 point deduction coming,  until yesterday qualifying was in our hands and relatively straightforward 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Of course it is. Even with a 3 point deduction coming,  until yesterday qualifying was in our hands and relatively straightforward 

Football is not always relatively straightforward. Ask The Motherwell manager. 

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Lafferty didn’t look fit to me. 

No he wasn’t. He actually limped on to the pitch for the second half. Not being fit at this stage of the season needs to have an eyebrow raised about it. What’s he been doing for the last 5 weeks ?

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

The Motherwell manager that took an average team to the cup final a couple of months ago ?

cmon Dave. Qualifying from the group should have been a done deal. Now it’s unlikely.

Edited by Escobar PHM

2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Sign less players like Mulraney etc and we could be signing players like Mallen. Do you think that we improve the players we sign?  Provide evidence of the players we have signed and then coached to a better level. 

We don't give players a chance to improve. We hound them from the club after 6 months. 

Mulraney is a perfect example. He has been in the door for a couple of weeks and already he is being chased.

We act like the biggest shower of entitled arseholes on the planet.

As if it's our given right that we should be amazing. Winning every game.

I've never seen us win the league.

Never seen us win a league cup.

Seen us win 3 Scottish cups.

Only seen us finish second once.

We aren't all that. We are as beatable as anyone else who isn't Celtic. 

We have had more managers than hot dinners in the last 20 years and not many of them have done anything more than Robbie Neilson did. With much stronger squads.

We give teams like Raith no respect as if all we had to do was turn up but they were well organised and hard working which goes a long way even if you lack quality. Teams like Iceland and others have proven at recent tournaments how far those qualities can take you.

We sound like the OF but we have absolutely no right to.

davemclaren

No he wasn’t. He actually limped on to the pitch for the second half. Not being fit at this stage of the season needs to have an eyebrow raised about it. What’s he been doing for the last 5 weeks ?

No idea. Niggling injury it would seem. 

davemclaren

The Motherwell manager that took an average team to the cup final a couple of months ago ?

Yes, and then drew with Stranraer yesterday and lost the shootout. ??‍♂️

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Stranraer drawing with Motherwell makes yesterday's performance more acceptable?

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No idea. Niggling injury it would seem. 

Couple of folk at the game hit me with the 'He's on his way, the club are selling' rumours.

They just won't go away.

davemclaren
Just now, Elmore said:

Stranraer drawing with Motherwell makes yesterday's performance more acceptable?

I never said that. It was a dire performance. Reminded me of League cup section games I witnessed in the 70s tbh. 

davemclaren
Just now, ...a bit disco said:

Couple of folk at the game hit me with the 'He's on his way, the club are selling' rumours.

They just won't go away.

They won’t until the end of the window. 

...a bit disco
Just now, davemclaren said:

They won’t until the end of the window. 

:thumbsup:

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I never said that. It was a dire performance. Reminded me of League cup section games I witnessed in the 70s tbh. 

Fux sake Hearts. We just need to hope we don’t get a points reduction tomorrow and see if we can’t recover this a wee bit or we’ll be starting the league season with a cloud over the place already.

I’ve seen us play much much worse over the years against lower league clubs. We where not great but deserved to win the match. Although I can’t fathom why we play with 3 at the back with the players we have at our disposal 

davemclaren
Just now, Escobar PHM said:

Fux sake Hearts. We just need to hope we don’t get a points reduction tomorrow and see if we can’t recover this a wee bit or we’ll be starting the league season with a cloud over the place already.

I agree. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

I remember us beating Aberdeen in the group section while still a first division side. I also remember putting seven passed Clyde. I can't remember any dire results when the bought the group stages back in the late 70's.  Drop any points in the next two games and fans are right to ask questions. 

TyphoonJambo
15 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I think Lafferty couldn’t hit a cow on the arse with a stick at the moment, I think Naismith wasn’t as effective as usual and I think Berras distribution for most of the game was crap. I also think that the youngsters embarrassed the shit out of them. Whether they couldn’t be arsed or not, they were embarrassing and that level of player doesn’t become crap overnight. Whether they weren’t giving 100% or not, they should have and could have, done better in whatever formation they were sent out in.

davemclaren
Just now, Bighenry said:

I’ve seen us play much much worse over the years against lower league clubs. We where not great but deserved to win the match. Although I can’t fathom why we play with 3 at the back with the players we have at our disposal 

The wing backs and midfield were poor yesterday. Not sure 3 at the back suits our players. 

buckhind jambo
1 hour ago, Elmore said:

We've been waiting for things to improve for two years now. What have you seen in the games so far that have convinced you that we are going to be watching a better approach to the game?  Hibs signed Mallan for 150.000, the type of signing we should be making if we are going for quality over quantity. Mulraney?  You're kidding us on!  Every pundit on the radio was baffled by this signing. It wouldn't be that bad if we had gained a reputation for improving players, we don't. I asked about how many players have we signed and then improved them.  I think someone said one player.  So signings like Mulraney aren't going to improve us if we can't improve them as players. We need players that are ready for the step up.  I can't wait till john Daly takes over and serves up the same old boring stuff. Shite pitch and time to gel are just excuses. Raith were in the same situation us us yesterday.  Sign quality and we won't had to worry about players needing time to gel. We don't sign players and then improve them!

Spot on! For the last 2 seasons we have watched stagnant, laboured displays, lack of pace, creativity, more concerned  not to loose rather than win a game, a real worry if the other team scores first as in most games we don't look like we have 2 goals in us, forward to a new season and a load of new players and by what i have seen its the same old same old, if this continues, strap yourself in its gonna be another long season with more eye bleeding football.

Edited by buckhind jambo

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Elmore said:

I remember us beating Aberdeen in the group section while still a first division side. I also remember putting seven passed Clyde. I can't remember any dire results when the bought the group stages back in the late 70's.  Drop any points in the next two games and fans are right to ask questions. 

We did beat Aberdeen but still failed to qualify due to other poor results iirc. I agree that any dropped points in the next two games will leave the vast majority of the support very restless. 

KyleLafferty

If you seriously expected 13 new signings to gel with the old lot immediately then you are deluded. Things will take its time. Motherwell got to two cup finals last year and yesterday they got beat by Stranraer on pens. It happens, if we don’t get points took off us, we will win the group and all this will be forgotten about, there’s over another 40 games to play this year. Who thought after getting beat my Peterhead and Dunfermline we would beat Celtic 4-0, put hibs back in their box and got 12 games unbeaten with a clean sheet. Just calm down. If we can improve our away record by winning 4-5 more games and keep our home record we will be top 4.

6 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

The main reason is we’ve signed quantity over quality. Folk have been alluding to it all summer and getting shot down for it. Add to that that we play with no tempo, our system is patently not suiting the decent players we do have, like Berra Naismith and Lafferty and we’re already tinkering too much with a team that won’t the previous game fairly comfortably

I don’t get the quantity over quality argument, it’s not like our squad is now bloated and we are spoiled for choice. People complied that we didn’t have enough players last year and that we were relying on guys like Cowie, Hughes  and Callaghan, we only had Lafferty up front, and that we were playing our youngsters too much and would burn them out. So we needed to add depth, it’s not like we had a choice. If Levein had added say 3 or 4 “quality” players people would be complaining that he hadn’t addressed the depth issue. I also think we have to be realistic about what quality we can actually attract in Scotland now, when you see Aberdeen signing a player from Peterborough, Hibs star signing so far is an ex St Mirren player from Barnsley, St Johnstone have signed a bit part player from Cardiff, and Kilmarnock have signed a 22 year old from Newcastle. I would say that Naismith is the best player signed by any of the top six outside Celtic and Rangers.

As for tactics, I go back to the point I made earlier we had 40 shots (20 on target) over the last two games and 19 corners. We only had one shot on target less against Raith than we did against Cove so I’m not sure we were that much more negative.

Escobar PHM
4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I think Lafferty couldn’t hit a cow on the arse with a stick at the moment, I think Naismith wasn’t as effective as usual and I think Berras distribution for most of the game was crap. I also think that the youngsters embarrassed the shit out of them. Whether they couldn’t be arsed or not, they were embarrassing and that level of player doesn’t become crap overnight. Whether they weren’t giving 100% or not, they should have and could have, done better in whatever formation they were sent out in.

Berra struggled yesterday because the left wing back was playing too far forward. I don’t think he suits playing in a 3 with no full back outside him. 

Lafferty has never been great playing on his own up front and Naismith doesn’t seem to know where he’s supposed to be playing in this system. Up front. Midfield or in the hole. I couldn’t even tell you now what he is best at because he hasn’t really fitted into anything he’s been asked to do. 

portobellojambo1
43 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It was Raith Rovers we were playing FFS.

There are no excuses.

That is what it all comes down to. But unfortunately, over the last two or three seasons HMFC followers, mainly on here mind you, have been queuing up to offer multitudes of excuses for poor performances. This time round Ian Cathro can no longer be used as a default excuse. We played in a certain way on Wednesday past, it was good on the eye, it did show to a large extent that the new players were gelling together well. We played with two very wide men, which forced Cove to stretch their back four and midfield all the way across the park to cover all options. This in turn meant that our midifeld were given space and time to produce constructive distribution going forward. The one thing that was missing was finishing in front of goal, but if you are at least creating chances are that the finishing will come as well. Yesterday, similar situation, we came up against a team on a synthetic surface, as we had played on in Cove, so no excuses about the surface, it was the same for both teams. The opposition were struggling for players and coming into the game off the back of a 2-0 defeat to Cowdenbeath. Circumstances, following the Cove game, meant the minimum we had to get from yesterday's game was 3 points, with a shitload of goals being a bonus. Logic should tell anyone behind the scenes that there was only one way to approach the game and that was in the exact same way as the most recent match because it had worked. And in the two days between the two games time should have been used in trainnig up at Riccarton to get the two wide men delivering balls into the box regularly, so those in front of goal were able to gauge where they needed to be to make the most of any deliveries. You don't practice these sort of things during a game, the idea is to be ready before the game kicks off. Instead we made changes, or probably most specifically one major change. We left out Morrison, our best performer on Wednesday. This meant that all Raith Rovers had to do in the game was double up on Mulraney, pack the middle yards of the pitch with their defenders and midfield and we for a period reverted back to the ineffective hoofball that became very common on the road last season, instead of sticking with something that both worked and looked very pleasing on the eye only 3 days earlier. Fortunately this time round one excuse had gone, Ian Cathro, and it all beinh his fault for the team assembled (even ignoring the fact that he didn't have a clue who half of the players who arrived towards the end of 2017 were, because he had never watched and/or asked for them). As a result of an ineligible player in game 1 and a shit awful performance in game 2 it is now likely that we will be out of the League Cup yb Tuesday evening, causing a large loss of potential income to the club. And to be in that situation there are simply no fecking excuses and it has got feck all to do with not having respect for the opposition

Edited by portobellojambo1

buckhind jambo
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

If you seriously expected 13 new signings to gel with the old lot immediately then you are deluded. Things will take its time. Motherwell got to two cup finals last year and yesterday they got beat by Stranraer on pens. It happens, if we don’t get points took off us, we will win the group and all this will be forgotten about, there’s over another 40 games to play this year. Who thought after getting beat my Peterhead and Dunfermline we would beat Celtic 4-0, put hibs back in their box and got 12 games unbeaten with a clean sheet. Just calm down. If we can improve our away record by winning 4-5 more games and keep our home record we will be top 4.

And there lies the problem in my opinion, lack of quality over quantity, every season we bring in a new team and by the time they gel the season for us is over, and btw when they do gel its still the same laboured style of play, hasn't changed for 2 seasons bar the odd good display at Tyncastle, Away from Tynie...... Good lord! Awful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

That is what it all comes down to. But unfortunately, over the last two or three seasons HMFC followers, mainly on here mind you, have been queuing up to offer multitudes of excuses for poor performances. This time round Ian Cathro can nolonger be used as the default excuse. We played in a certain way on Wednesday past, it was good on the eye, it did show to a large extent that the new players were gelling together well. We played with two very wide men, which forced Cove to stretch their back four and midfield all the way across the park to cover all options. This in turn meant that our midifeld were given space and time to produce constructive distribution going forward. The one thing that was missing was finishing in front of goal, but if you are at least creating chances are that the finishing will come as well. Yesterday, similar situation, we came up against a team on a synthetic surface, as we had played on in Cove, so no excuses about the surface, it was the same for both teams. The opposition were struggling for players and coming into the game off the back of a 2-0 defeat to Cowdenbeath. Circumstances, following the Cove game, meant the minimum we had to get from yesterday's game was 3 points, with a shitload of goals being a bonus. Logic should tell anyone behind the scenes that there was only one way to approach the game and that was in the exact same way as the most recent match because it had worked. And in the two days between the two games time should have been used in trainnig up at Riccarton to get the two wide men delivering balls into the box regularly, so those in front of goal were able to guage where they needed to be to make the most of any deliveries. You don't pratcie these sort of things during a game, the idea is to be ready before the game kicks off. Instead we made changes, or probably most specifically one major change. We left out Morrison, our best performer on Wednesday. This meant that all Raith Rovers had to do in the game was double up on Mulraney, pack the middle yards of the pitch with their defenders and Midfield and we reverted back to the ineffective hoofball that became very common on the road last season, instead of sticking wqith something that both worked and looked very pleasing on the eye only 3 days earlier. Fortunately this time round one excuse had gone, Ian Cathro, and it all beinh his fault for the team assembled (even ignoring the fact that he didn't have a clue who half of the players who arrived towards the end of 2017 were, because he had never watched and/or asked for them). As a result of an ineligible player in game 1 and a shit awful performance in game 2 it is now likely that we will be out of the League Cup yb Tuesday evening, causing a large loss of potential income to the club. And to be in that situation there are simply no fecking excuses and it has got feck all to do with not having respect for the opposition

Almost spot on. The inability to administrate will be the key factor this year 

29 minutes ago, Bauld said:

We don't give players a chance to improve. We hound them from the club after 6 months. 

Mulraney is a perfect example. He has been in the door for a couple of weeks and already he is being chased.

We have had more managers than hot dinners in the last 20 years and not many of them have done anything more than Robbie Neilson did. With much stronger squads.

We give teams like Raith no respect as if all we had to do was turn up but they were well organised and hard working which goes a long way even if you lack quality. Teams like Iceland and others have proven at recent tournaments how far those qualities can take you.

This (although i’ve Seen us finish 2nd twice)

Escobar PHM
4 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

That is what it all comes down to. But unfortunately, over the last two or three seasons HMFC followers, mainly on here mind you, have been queuing up to offer multitudes of excuses for poor performances. This time round Ian Cathro can no longer be used as a default excuse. We played in a certain way on Wednesday past, it was good on the eye, it did show to a large extent that the new players were gelling together well. We played with two very wide men, which forced Cove to stretch their back four and midfield all the way across the park to cover all options. This in turn meant that our midifeld were given space and time to produce constructive distribution going forward. The one thing that was missing was finishing in front of goal, but if you are at least creating chances are that the finishing will come as well. Yesterday, similar situation, we came up against a team on a synthetic surface, as we had played on in Cove, so no excuses about the surface, it was the same for both teams. The opposition were struggling for players and coming into the game off the back of a 2-0 defeat to Cowdenbeath. Circumstances, following the Cove game, meant the minimum we had to get from yesterday's game was 3 points, with a shitload of goals being a bonus. Logic should tell anyone behind the scenes that there was only one way to approach the game and that was in the exact same way as the most recent match because it had worked. And in the two days between the two games time should have been used in trainnig up at Riccarton to get the two wide men delivering balls into the box regularly, so those in front of goal were able to guage where they needed to be to make the most of any deliveries. You don't pratcie these sort of things during a game, the idea is to be ready before the game kicks off. Instead we made changes, or probably most specifically one major change. We left out Morrison, our best performer on Wednesday. This meant that all Raith Rovers had to do in the game was double up on Mulraney, pack the middle yards of the pitch with their defenders and Midfield and we reverted back to the ineffective hoofball that became very common on the road last season, instead of sticking wqith something that both worked and looked very pleasing on the eye only 3 days earlier. Fortunately this time round one excuse had gone, Ian Cathro, and it all beinh his fault for the team assembled (even ignoring the fact that he didn't have a clue who half of the players who arrived towards the end of 2017 were, because he had never watched and/or asked for them). As a result of an ineligible player in game 1 and a shit awful performance in game 2 it is now likely that we will be out of the League Cup yb Tuesday evening, causing a large loss of potential income to the club. And to be in that situation there are simply no fecking excuses and it has got feck all to do with not having respect for the opposition

Agree 100%. Plenty posters questioned the changes before the game started yesterday and were shouted down. It was a return to our default away set up and approach from last season ( over cautious safety first low tempo possession football) and you could see it coming with the line up he picked. 

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Utter gash. Must improve massively 

Were you my teacher at Craigy,because that sounds like my report card.

29 minutes ago, Bauld said:

The reason that we don't improve players is down to the fans?  Callaghan wasn't hounded out after six months. Can you see any an improvement in his game?  Would we make any money if were to sell him? Its not the fans who are to blame for players not getting any better.  

59 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Agreed.  There are no excuses as we knew we had to go there and win convincingly.

If we are eliminated tomorrow then Levein has to carry the can.

I was disgusted by our lack of effort and quality.

5 points out of 6 but Levein has to carry the can?  

Ok.    :confused: 

Edited by graygo

Ministry MK2
9 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Hope we switch to 4ATB permanently

Totally agree, I don’t think 3 at the back suits us at all. 

Nookie Bear
33 minutes ago, Bauld said:

You're right, Mulraney is a perfect example of what is wrong. 

Fans thinking past underachievement is a good excuse to underachievers now is also a problem. 

It it was supposed to be better than this. We had the infrastructure, we had the finance, we had the youth and we had the support. And yet, here we are, two games into the season and we are one clerical ****** up and a dire performance at a 3rd tier team away from elimination from one of two trophies we can win...before the end of July. 

Its such a waste. 

Ministry MK2

If we somehow do not progress from the League Cup Group Stage for the 2nd season in a row. Levein has to fall on his sword. 

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

With the administration error we knew what was required yesterday, a convincing win in case we are deducted points. We approached it like a league game away from home, the way we have for the last two seasons. We knew what was needed yesterday and we still didn't for for it. A draw with Raith Rovers on neutral ground is shocking. If we drop any more points in the next two games, will that be acceptable?

We're also trying to sell season tickets just now. If that's the style of play that's still on offer, you can understand if fans are holding back. All we have asked for is more attacking football. We're not expecting to win every week, but at least play like we are trying to. Its the same shit as before with no signs that we are going to change our style of play. 

Edited by Elmore

9 minutes ago, Elmore said:

The reason that we don't improve players is down to the fans?  Callaghan wasn't hounded out after six months. Can you see any an improvement in his game?  Would we make any money if were to sell him? Its not the fans who are to blame for players not getting any better.  

Hard to say exactly in these games but I though Callachan was good in the Arbroath game and took his goal well. 

I would have used him against Raith because he can score goals and at least against Raith he would have been good enough as well.

I like that he tries to get into dangerous areas which is more than some others give us.

3 minutes ago, Elmore said:

With the administration error we knew what was required yesterday, a convincing win in case we are deducted points. We approached it like a league game away from home, the way we have for the last two seasons. We knew what was needed yesterday and we still didn't for for it. A draw with Raith Rovers on neutral ground is shocking. If we drop any more points in the next two games, will that be acceptable?

No it won't be but that's not the point you made.

Edited to add that if we are going to approach all this season's away games the same way then that'll do for me.

55% possession

17 shots

10 on target

10 corners.

Edited by graygo

We have Kyle Lafferty and Steven Naismith available to us, yet we set up in a way that makes them ineffective. 

I can't get me head around why we are so bad with the players we have. 

Souttar and Berra as CB's, 2 full backs, one holding mid, one box to box mid, 2 wide men that are direct in their running. Naismith and Lafferty up front with Naismith dropping in to offer that extra man in midfield when defending.

I'm no manager or tactical genius but I reckon we would've beaten Raith relatively easily if we had set up that way.

Escobar PHM
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Shouldn’t it have been 6 out of 6 against that standard of opposition really ? That dropped point is massive.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Shouldn’t it have been 6 out of 6 against that standard of opposition really ?

Could've been but football is not played on paper or we could just hand out the prizes now.

Escobar PHM
Just now, graygo said:

Could've been but football is not played on paper or we could just hand out the prizes now.

Could’ve been or should’ve been ?

39 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Not at the defeat at Dumbarton in 1975 then. 

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197508091.html

5 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Hard to say exactly in these games but I though Callachan was good in the Arbroath game and took his goal well. 

I would have used him against Raith because he can score goals and at least against Raith he would have been good enough as well.

I like that he tries to get into dangerous areas which is more than some others give us.

But you honestly can't be blaming the fans for us not improving players? Who have we hounded out after six months? Good against Arbroath? He has been with us for a year and is nowhere near good enough for our first team. I'm using him as an example to show that we don't improve players and that its not down to the fans hounding them out. 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

No it won't be but that's not the point you made.

Edited to add that if we are going to approach all this season's away games the same way then that'll do for me.

55% possession

17 shots

10 on target

10 corners.

Are those stats from the Raith game?

• davemclaren locked this topic