*** Betfred Cup 2018 - Raith Rovers v Heart of Midlothian ***

tartofmidlothian

Bazzas right boot

If McLean us the saviour, we're royalty Donald ducked. 

The players should have done better, the ref should have allowed the disallowed goal. 

The admin chap should have pressed send. 

All needs addressed and improved. 

McLean isn't the answer to everything. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Cruyff Turn

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• iantjambo

10 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Fair point, although Levein has said he considers Naismith a midfielder now. 

Id hope both play off Laff , if we get the couple coming in weve been linked with then maybe Naismith as a midfielder is a good move. Time will tell I guess

10 minutes ago, Rents said:

Levein fault for today incorrect tatics unable to change the tatics to influence the game in our favour.

Also incorrect starting team for example Mulraney at LB when he had Garuchio(so) 

Also poor subs 

imo subs today made the difference. Morrison and McDonald were like Mulraney and Morrison on Wed and Keena for Laff was a straight replacement

TorinoJambo
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Chris yer even aulder than me :wink:

Archie White and Pat McShane wouldn't get near our team nowadays.

God man, you've just named the two worst players I ever saw disgrace the maroon (I am 64 next month). I'll have feckin nightmares now.

CloustonHMFC
1 hour ago, JME said:

I'm very much an optimistic person when it comes to football, I think this team will kick on with a good season and hopefully exceeds expectations but I find it utterly reprehensible to write off an entire squad from a poor away performance on a poor surface (not that i'm in anyway blaming the surface). This is only our 2nd competitive game and I highly doubt we're even set on a first 11 yet with still players to come back from injury and such. I've seen enough positives from this pre-season to think we will do just fine if not more this season. It just irritates me coming on here to chat about how we can move forward to see the same old stuff from last season brought up from one poor performance. It will need time.

I'm away back to the pub.  :clyay:

This is a way too sensible post for here.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

God man, you've just named the two worst players I ever saw disgrace the maroon (I am 64 next month). I'll have feckin nightmares now.

Doesn't leave much room for Crawford Boyd

TorinoJambo
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Doesn't leave much room for Crawford Boyd

That's the nightmare confirmed now. Just add Jim Denny to be sure.

TyphoonJambo

Today was a great reason to up the ante for our Czech saviour. Get him in early.

Edited by TypoonJambo

Bazzas right boot

Whatever happens, our treble plans are in jeopardy. 

That's my baw burst. 

Maroon Sailor
33 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

It shouldn’t be left down to the ref in the last minute ruling out a goal against inferior, a lot inferior opposition though.

That's not the point.

If the ref did what he is paid to do properly Hearts win 2-1.

Simple as that.

We were denied in the end by a ridiculous decision from the ref.

Finlay James
48 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Another poor squad rebuild. The last successful rebuild was when we got relegated. Since then we’ve gone for a succession of total punts, few of which have worked out well.

Saying that, getting Djoum back will have a massive impact on the team.

Youre either kidding, winding someone up or know **** all about football.

Please tell me, how can you arrive at this conclusion after 2 competitive games?

The ICT contingent at the game today are completely bewildered that Mulraney is at Heart of Midlothian on a football contract never mind starting must win cup matches for us. Pretty much says it all and we are a week into the season. Once again our recruitment policy looks haphazard at best and utterly shambolic at worst.  

Just watched the post-match interview with CL and agree with everything he said.

Only problem is..i'm a fan and he's the manager and  i'd say he had more of a chance to up the tempo of the team than I did.

Worrying.

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's not the point.

If the ref did what he is paid to do properly Hearts win 2-1.

Simple as that.

We were denied in the end by a ridiculous decision from the ref.

It is the point - if our players turn up to do what they are paid for properly we pump a team who lost 2-0 to Cowdenbeath last week.  It would be completely ignorant to gloss this all over by says the ref cost us a win! No a very poor performance and some terrible defending cost us a win when we really needed to turn up and win by a big margin anyway. 

Having watched game today.. first half was ok from a possession point however not clinical in the final third and not testing there keeper enough!!!!

laff looked off the pace big time too me!! However should have scored first half..

second half was poor and Levein changes were strange too me.. didn’t think Burns did much but Bozanic came off...

however if the ref hadnt shafted us we would have won the game which is what matters with another game gone for the team to gel...

massive improvement needed fast otherwise before the league starts we are already under pressure !!!!

58 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Two mistakes we've found about this week.

Fielding an ineligible player

Ref fecking up ruling out the winner today.

Still Levein's fault though eh ?

When you're horseshit all over the park................you're horseshit all over the park. You can't polish a turd, merely roll it in glitter and by god we did a good impersonation of shit today....referee or otherwise.............surely the happy clappers can see that!

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

It is the point - if our players turn up to do what they are paid for properly we pump a team who lost 2-0 to Cowdenbeath last week.  It would be completely ignorant to gloss this all over by says the ref cost us a win! No a very poor performance and some terrible defending cost us a win when we really needed to turn up and win by a big margin anyway. 

The point is not glossing over anything. Every man and his dog knew Hearts were poor today. However the simple fact is the ref cost us a win in normal time.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

skinnybob72

Kind of get the feeling our player recruitment is like grabbing a handful of scrabble letters, throwing them at the board and hoping that it makes something. 

Prince Obua

Still a serious lack of quality in the team. No way will this team get anywhere near the top 4. Worrying. Optimism already vanished. 

26 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Whatever happens, our treble plans are in jeopardy. 

That's my baw burst. 

Christ - only July and the trebles gone already:wow:

26 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Youre either kidding, winding someone up or know **** all about football.

Please tell me, how can you arrive at this conclusion after 2 competitive games?

I am not filled with much optimism that the squad is strong enough. We still lack a quality winger, and haven’t found a replacement for Milinkovic. We still lack a creative midfielder, although I hope Lee can be this player. He’ll have to improve massively from today though.

And I feel Djoum returning will be massive for the team as he’s the one bit of real quality we have in midfield.

So no, not on the wind up.

33 minutes ago, Hairy Nugget said:

Might of missed it but any news on laffs injury?

Looked like he hurts himself landing on the terrible pitch. I thought he might have hurt his lower back when he went down. Hopefully nothing too serious.

J.T.F.Robertson
Just now, amadjambo said:

I am not filled with much optimism that the squad is strong enough. We still lack a quality winger, and haven’t found a replacement for Milinkovic. We still lack a creative midfielder, although I hope Lee can be this player. He’ll have to improve massively from today though.

And I feel Djoum returning will be massive for the team as he’s the one bit of real quality we have in midfield.

So no, not on the wind up.

Djoum gives the appearance of not giving much of a shit most of the time, so if that's our hope ........ 

We do need "creativity" though but where it's coming from I've nae idea.

Just now, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Djoum gives the appearance of not giving much of a shit most of the time, so if that's our hope ........ 

We do need "creativity" though but where it's coming from I've nae idea.

I disagree about Djoum. He was just coming back into some really good form when he got injured again. Think he’s been given a raw deal by the fans for some time now. Our best midfielder by a mile, even when off form.

Not blaming anybody but we should be wiping the floor with teams like cove and raith wish the players would put as much effort as the fans do getting to places like cove in midweek,we can only win two trophies each year and it looks likewe will be out of one of them before august,poor poor effort.

18Jambo_dave74

Absolutely pathetic performance to be honest.

I had hoped that the lack of tempo that defined last season's away form would be a thing of the past but sadly it seems not. For the majority of the game it felt like I'd turned up to a pre-season friendly and not what, potentially thanks to sheer incompetence from someone at the club, was a must win game.

That team today had plenty of experience and internationals in it yet it was left to Morrison and McDonald to come on and show the right attitude and drive to get the win.

Safe to say my pre-season optimism has taken a bit of a hit this week.

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. How we are playing right now is nothing like what we will be like come September. 

We are a group of players playing together for the first few times ever against solid units who have played together for a year or more. 

It has only been a couple of weeks. I'd still be trying to remember everyones name.

portobellojambo1

It's a bit of a downer when you can go to a game on a Wednesday, see the way the team line up, with width on both sides of the park, watch it succeed and wander off thinking it has to be the way forward. You then turn up for the next game on the Saturday, one which potential circumstances suggest it is a must win game and then see the team line up, with only one wide player. You then look at the way the opposition approach the game and see they have decided to double up on the one wide player and in the process take him out of the game. There was absolutely no reason to change how we intended to play going forward today, and by doing so we shot ourselves in the foot. The midfield didn't function particularly well today either, and despite just returning from an injury Lafferty goes down and is clearly in pain, but is told to stay on the park and eventually goes off in an even worse state. If I'm honest having watched today's game we should be pleased with 2 points because I don't think we deserved any, it was a poor, poor display and not something I expected.

Having left the game on Wednesday thinking we were witnessing the way we were going to play this season I left today just totally confused by what I watched, with no idea why we made changes to something which had worked so recently.

Edited by portobellojambo1

JamboGraham
3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. How we are playing right now is nothing like what we will be like come September. 

Yup...thank goodness the competitive stuff doesn’t start till September ...oh wait....!!!

The problem all season is that Levein is going to change 4 or 5 players every game and continue to play 352 which doesn't suit the players we have. 

The youngsters put the more experienced players to shame with their attitude and application. Another reason why instead of making as many signings, bring in 4 or 5 quality players instead of 13 and trust the youngsters to continue their progress. 

Today was a real worry, little creativity, no urgency and basically a continuation of last season with a different team. 

Thought we were ok, considering almost new team and on a plastic pitch. Bit like a pre season friendly at times. Decent draw plus the bonus point.

JamboGraham
3 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It's a bit of a downer when you can go to a game on a Wednesday, see the way the team line up, with width on both sides of the park, watch it succeed and wander off thinking it has to be the way forward. You then turn up for the next game on the Saturday, one which potential circumstances suggest it is a must win game and then see the team line up, with only one wide player. You then look at the way the opposition approach the game and see they have decided to double up on the one wide player and in the process take him out of the game. There was absolutely no reason to change how we intended to play going forward today, and by doing so we shot ourselves in the foot. The midfield didn't function particularly well today either, and despite just returning from an injury Lafferty goes down and is clearly in pain, but is told to stay on the park and eventually goes off in an even worse state. If I'm honest having watched today's game we should be pleased with 2 points because I don't think we deserved any, it was a poor, poor display and not something I expected.

Having left the game on Wednesday thinking we were witnessing the way we were going to play this season I left today just totally confused by what I watched, with no idea why we made changes to something which had worked so recently.

Indeed...despite the scoreline I saw lots of positives on Wednesday night. Lots of chances, some pace, quality into the box, etc. The objective today was pick up from that and surely the goals will come...I honestly expected both barrels to be opened up by Hearts today.  Confused sums it up for me as well...even if we can’t get a quality performance where was the fight and passion.

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Christ - only July and the trebles gone already:wow:

I know, murder and our proud history in the lc is on the line. 

Dunno how I'll manage. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Martin said:

The problem all season is that Levein is going to change 4 or 5 players every game and continue to play 352 which doesn't suit the players we have. 

The youngsters put the more experienced players to shame with their attitude and application. Another reason why instead of making as many signings, bring in 4 or 5 quality players instead of 13 and trust the youngsters to continue their progress. 

Today was a real worry, little creativity, no urgency and basically a continuation of last season with a different team. 

He won't in the league. 

Probably 1/2 changes 

We should be able to drop 4/5 and still beat Raith. 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Bauld said:

We are a group of players playing together for the first few times ever against solid units who have played together for a year or more. 

It has only been a couple of weeks. I'd still be trying to remember everyones name.

Aye, but you're a bit more.. Mature. 

Hey, David, Alan, John, I mean Kyle... Pass the baw?

2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Yup...thank goodness the competitive stuff doesn’t start till September ...oh wait....!!!

I'm afraid that's just how it works if a team makes massive squad changes. 

People on here are quite unanimous that it was required but we need to make sure this is the last time. 

Take Mulraney and lafferty for example.

Mulraney has the job of supplying chances to lafferty. Lafferty as a striker has to time his runs perfectly to match up in sync with Mulraney who is also making runs with the ball and crossing it in. But how does Lafferty know when Mulraney is going to play to cross in order for him to time his run perfectly to meet it? How does Mulraney know where lafferty will run to? Back post, centre front, and how far out?

That's just 2 players and only covers a tiny part of their link up play. We have a full team trying to do the same thing. 

This is not a simple exercise. It is not going to all fall into place within the space of a month. 

Forming a strong mental understanding between you and your 10 team mates plus subs can take years. Which is why teams make such a big deal over consistency.

rick witter
24 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

That’s Levein for you. Everything is way to complicated and over thought. Nobody in the Hearts team stood out and made me think they would improve us this season. If there were another 6 or 7 changed for Tuesday there would be no complaints as that team was nowhere near good enough today. 

JamboGraham
11 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Mulraney has the job of supplying chances to lafferty. Lafferty as a striker has to time his runs perfectly to match up in sync with Mulraney who is also making runs with the ball and crossing it in. But how does Lafferty know when Mulraney is going to play to cross in order for him to time his run perfectly to meet it? How does Mulraney know where lafferty will run to? Back post, centre front, and how far out?

Five pre-season matches and out of those 450 minutes these two players played exactly 0 minutes on the park together...I don’t understand how you can have five matches to try some of these things out then go with something completely different when the season starts.

I agree with your point in general but the start of the season is well known in advance, we don’t need to be the finished article just marginally ahead of our rivals on the transition. 

Fintry_Jambo

Deary me, all the pantwetters are out in force. Sat for 90+ minutes in a shthole today listening to clowns that no nothing about football shouting and arguing with each other because we were drawing 0-0 at half time then after the half someone behind me over 100meteres away from our goal screaming that there goal was offside and the linesman was a ******. Yes, the performance was simply not good enough. No, we will not be playing like that in a month!!! Anyone that has played football at any level knows new players need gametime together before performances start to come together, yes we should already have enough to beat raith comfortably but Jesus Christ the pitch is a joke, we should have won 2-1(win is a win) and that was with a shit performance. People calling for leveins head, who do we want to bring in and what do they expect? We could have sir Alex and people will still moan and bitch about every game. Basically unless we win the treble every year a percentage of our fans will not be happy. Some fans have obviously been blinded by how good we were in the championships and expect that every season. End of the day the best we will get is possibly a cup run and a hopeful challenge for Europe. That's the best we can hope for every season, the sooner people realise we are not and never will be world beaters the better. 

I don’t think it’s personnel. I simply can’t come to terms with how slow and deliberate we are in everything we do. It’s like the instruction is, “don’t make a forward pass if there’s a backwards pass on.”

Souttar and/or Berra seem to be involved in every move and as often as not, one of them ends up attempting a World Cup pass after we’ve given the opposition loads of time to organise themselves. It worked under Robbie in the Championship, although not latterly against Rangers or Hibs but it’s shit to watch and it ain’t working anymore. 

3 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Five pre-season matches and out of those 450 minutes these two players played exactly 0 minutes on the park together...I don’t understand how you can have five matches to try some of these things out then go with something completely different when the season starts.

I agree with your point in general but the start of the season is well known in advance, we don’t need to be the finished article just marginally ahead of our rivals on the transition. 

While we continue to do wholesale changes every summer we will always start behind those who have consistency on their side.

Perhaps the league cup will need to wait but I'm still hopeful for a strong league finish. 

And we are due a Scottish cup :P

25 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Indeed...despite the scoreline I saw lots of positives on Wednesday night. Lots of chances, some pace, quality into the box, etc. The objective today was pick up from that and surely the goals will come...I honestly expected both barrels to be opened up by Hearts today.  

Confused sums it up for me as well...even if we can’t get a quality performance where was the fight and passion.

Agree with all of that , same thought I had about today. Even more so when I saw the line up , my only worry was Smith looked the weak link as him for Morrison wasn’t a straight swap. 

Wednesday we used the two wide men to pull Cove about by playing side to side and it allowed Lee and Bozanic to create more. Today we didn’t do that with Smith and Mulraney. Was very frustrating.

25 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I'm afraid that's just how it works if a team makes massive squad changes. 

People on here are quite unanimous that it was required but we need to make sure this is the last time. 

That's just 2 players and only covers a tiny part of their link up play. We have a full team trying to do the same thing. 

This is not a simple exercise. It is not going to all fall into place within the space of a month. 

Forming a strong mental understanding between you and your 10 team mates plus subs can take years. Which is why teams make such a big deal over consistency.

Sensible post , Craigan also made this point during and post match , the only caveat to that is the link up play on wednesday was a different world to today which is frustrating

12 minutes ago, Fintry_Jambo said:

Deary me, all the pantwetters are out in force. Sat for 90+ minutes in a shthole today listening to clowns that no nothing about football shouting and arguing with each other because we were drawing 0-0 at half time then after the half someone behind me over 100meteres away from our goal screaming that there goal was offside and the linesman was a ******. Yes, the performance was simply not good enough. No, we will not be playing like that in a month!!! Anyone that has played football at any level knows new players need gametime together before performances start to come together, yes we should already have enough to beat raith comfortably but Jesus Christ the pitch is a joke, we should have won 2-1(win is a win) and that was with a shit performance. People calling for leveins head, who do we want to bring in and what do they expect? We could have sir Alex and people will still moan and bitch about every game. Basically unless we win the treble every year a percentage of our fans will not be happy. Some fans have obviously been blinded by how good we were in the championships and expect that every season. End of the day the best we will get is possibly a cup run and a hopeful challenge for Europe. That's the best we can hope for every season, the sooner people realise we are not and never will be world beaters the better. 

??

buzzbomb1958

I am sick of  fans excuses for levien ,this has been going on for long enough , this is his season,no excuses, his team no one to blame but him if he does not better than last year bye bye no more to be said

By the light
12 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I don’t think it’s personnel. I simply can’t come to terms with how slow and deliberate we are in everything we do. It’s like the instruction is, “don’t make a forward pass if there’s a backwards pass on.”

Souttar and/or Berra seem to be involved in every move and as often as not, one of them ends up attempting a World Cup pass after we’ve given the opposition loads of time to organise themselves. It worked under Robbie in the Championship, although not latterly against Rangers or Hibs but it’s shit to watch and it ain’t working anymore. 

Completely agree. I’m not convinced it’s instructions though, I think it’s the players being shitebags and scared to take risks. Cochrane last season was the only one brave on the ball and willing to make a telling forward pass. Everyone else just happy to keep possession until it’s back to Berra or Souttar for the hopeful punt.

portobellojambo1
12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Sensible post , Craigan also made this point during and post match , the only caveat to that is the link up play on wednesday was a different world to today which is frustrating

The link up play was better on Wednesday for one reason, and it was a reason that impacted on both sides. It was a relatively simple thing which had a huge impact. Two wide players capable of running at defenders. By having a man wide on each touchline the impact is instant as the opposition have to spread both their back four and midfield players in a similar manner to cover the various options available for attacking. Today there was effectively no width at all, as Raith doubled up on Mulraney, blocking the left side and there was nothing on the right. As a result they were able to keep their defensive and midifled players much tighter effectively operating in are of the pitch about the width of the penalty area. If we had tried something new on Wednesday and it didn't work I'd have had no prolems with us trying to tweak in some other way today, to try and get it right. But when you try something on a Wednesday and it works really well, for both the wide and the midfield players why the feck would anyone consider changing it. Someone somewhere above mentioned most of the balls forward today were coming from Souttar and Berra, and they were right in saying that. And the reason why we kept reverting to humping it up the park today was down to have no wide players and the midfield not having the space needed to take the ball and use it constructively. You don't need to be Sir Alex fecking Ferguson to see it, all it requires is to have someone standing on the side of the park who can see everything that the people in the stands can see. There is no other way of putting it other than to say we fecked up big style today, and there was no reason for it to happen. Fair enough if there had been an injury meaning a change of style. But Morriosn was fit and when he came on in the 2nd half and we had two wider men for a period we looked much better.

Edited by portobellojambo1

23 minutes ago, Bauld said:

While we continue to do wholesale changes every summer we will always start behind those who have consistency on their side.

Perhaps the league cup will need to wait but I'm still hopeful for a strong league finish. 

And we are due a Scottish cup :P

Whats a “strong league finish” for you Bauld? Because every time we have a setback and they’ve been regular and constant all I read on here is you and some others making excuse after excise after excuse. Moving the goalposts time and again, moving the timescales, lessening the objectives and frankly lowering any standards the 3rd biggest club in the country should be ataining. It’s bewildering to be honest but each to their own I guess. 

Edited by magicTs

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The link up play was better on Wednesday for one reason, and it was a reason that impact on both sides. It was a relatively simple thing which had a huge impact. Two wide players capable of running at defenders. By having a man wide on each touchline the impact is instant as the opposition have to spread both their back four and midfield players in a similar manner to cover the various options available for attacking. Today there was effectively no width at all, as Raith doubled up on Mulraney and there was nothing on the right. As a result they were able to keep their defensive and midifled players much tighter effectively operating in are of the pitch about the width of the penalty area. If we had tried something new on Wednesday and it didn't work I'd have had no prolems with us trying to tweak in some other way today, to try and get it right. But when you try something on a Wednesday and it works really well, for both the wide and the midfield players why the feck would anyone consider changing it. Someone somewhere above mentioned most of the balls forward today were coming from Souttar and Berra, and they were right in saying that. And the reason why we kept reverting to humping it up the park today was down to have no wide players and the midfield not having the space needed to take the ball and use it constructively. You don't need to be Sir Alex fecking Ferguson to see it, all it requires is to have someone standing on the side of the park who can see everything that the people in the stands can see. There is no other way of putting it other than to say we fecked up big style today, and there was no reason for it to happen. Fair enough if there had been an injury meaning a change of style. But Morriosn was fit and when he came on in the 2nd half and we had two wider men for a period we looked much better.

I literally just wrote the same thing on the 3-5-2 thread. I wrote it on here earlier in amongst the insanity. Two players on the lines running at the defence stretches the defence opens up the middle for the midfielders. Even if smith had just run at them and got tackled it would of still made them think twice. Instead they just focussed on Mulraney and as soon as they did it cut our effectiveness dramatically and it became an absolute ?

• davemclaren locked this topic