*** Betfred Cup 2018 - Raith Rovers v Heart of Midlothian ***

tartofmidlothian

merseyjambo
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If we get three points deducted then they are certainly less meaningful, if not then we can still win the section with two wins. Failure to qualify due to an administrative ****** up isn’t entirely Levein’s fault. 

I’m not blaming CL for the administrative balls up. What I am saying is that knowing we may be 7 goals behind Caley after Monday, we didn’t go out and  look a team that needed to win a game by a few goal to at least keep us in contention to win the group

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Cruyff Turn

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• iantjambo

35 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Levein picked Cathro and was involved, as DOF, in all the signings he made. We finished that season in 5th and failed to qualify from our LC group  before IC was sacked. CL took over and made several signings in both August and January and finished 6th. He has now signed another 13 players and there is no real tangible sign of improvement . Again, partly due to an admin error, we are struggling to qualify from our LC group after a dire performance against a League 1 team . Who exactly do you suggest is to blame???

Nailed it. Don’t expect your opinion to be popular. Those who aren’t bothered about accountability will find a way to continue to defend the appalling on field performance over a sustained period of time by our first team. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I’m not blaming CL for the administrative balls up. What I am saying is that knowing we may be 7 goals behind Caley after Monday, we didn’t go out and  look a team that needed to win a game by a few goal to at least keep us in contention to win the group

I agree. 

Absolute Scenes
4 hours ago, Bauld said:

We don't give players a chance to improve. We hound them from the club after 6 months. 

Mulraney is a perfect example. He has been in the door for a couple of weeks and already he is being chased.

We act like the biggest shower of entitled arseholes on the planet.

As if it's our given right that we should be amazing. Winning every game.

I've never seen us win the league.

Never seen us win a league cup.

Seen us win 3 Scottish cups.

Only seen us finish second once.

We aren't all that. We are as beatable as anyone else who isn't Celtic. 

We have had more managers than hot dinners in the last 20 years and not many of them have done anything more than Robbie Neilson did. With much stronger squads.

We give teams like Raith no respect as if all we had to do was turn up but they were well organised and hard working which goes a long way even if you lack quality. Teams like Iceland and others have proven at recent tournaments how far those qualities can take you.

We sound like the OF but we have absolutely no right to.

Top post mate, honestly one of the more sane and down to earth comments ive seen. Every pant wetter should read this

RN got dogs abuse from a disgruntled group, but he knew how to win against lower teams. The problem we have and we had it last season is when another team sets itself up to not lose- then we struggle.  For some reason CL seems unable to get the team to readjust during the game and get behind the opposition. The paradox is that CL can set up a team for fast flowing attacks but he can't seem to replicate this every game. As a first step he should bin the 352 system - it isn't working and revert to 442  . That will bring stability and confidence at the back and reduce the number of kamikaze incidents. The midfield needs a strong man -have we got one?' As the season progresses we will find out. Saturday was unacceptable and CL knows that. But it's still really days and we have a new team so let's get behind them.

50 minutes ago, Cade said:

The ones on target, presumably

:gocompare:

Take it you weren’t at the game? We rarely threatened their goal, and the majority of shots were trundlers straight at the goalie. It was a shocking performance for 80 mins.

43 minutes ago, Barack said:

They were going in the net though, yeah? Before the goalie got out his phone, sent a few Snapchats and waved to his family in the crowd, obviously?

Just to clarify. 

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Rabgee said:

You laugh but every thread on here ends up like that. Before Levein it was Cathro (who was pish and he was Leveins fault!!), before that it was Neilson, before that Locke, and so on and so on. It’s like a broken record. We won our first competitive game this season and got a draw in the 2nd and people are calling for him to resign or be fired, Jesus wept!

We never won a match that we knew we needed to before the beginning by a large margin, people are rightly going to be angry! Especially when it was exactly like the majority of away games last year. It doesn’t mean people hate Levein. 

Cathro was Leveins disaster too and failed to address it until August.  

Edited by Juanjo15

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Take it you weren’t at the game? We rarely threatened their goal, and the majority of shots were trundlers straight at the goalie. It was a shocking performance for 80 mins.

C'mon amadjambo, look at the statistics that have been put up, we had 10 shots on target, it all provided evidence of a really good display, unless of course you were actually at the game and realised that 90% of that 10 represented nothing more than the equivalent of pass backs. In my mind I would class it as we actually had one shot on target, being the real target is to hit the back of the net and if they don't do that then they ain't on target.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Are you just going to keep drilling it down until I give in?

I'll save both of us the time, it's all Levein's fault and nothing will change until he is gone from our club.

First time I replied to you!

Just highlighting that shots on goal stats don't really tell a story.

Why do you hate Levein so much that you bring him into it?

2 hours ago, Cade said:

The ones on target, presumably

:gocompare:

Only one that troubled them was the Smith goal. Goalie never had to work for any other groundless that he had to pick up.

davemclaren

With Dunfermline beating Dundee away today only one of this season’s top league sides ( Ross County ) have full points at this stage.  Not sure what that tells us but there you go. 

Nelly Terraces

The World Cup was on the whole exciting & dramatic.

But Leveins favourite game would've been the dire 0-0 between France & Denmark when both teams needed a draw to get through & didn't attack each other once. 

Right back Smith 1-1 fab goal. But in reality Craig Levein needs to get through to some players that the season has started and some of our younger players need a wee bit of guidence & encouragement from more experienced team-mates. I want Hearts to be full of bad losers and treat a draw as a loss. And i want Hearts to control games and attack with a real threat. Am i wrong ?

Some rant eh !

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

With Dunfermline beating Dundee away today only one of this season’s top league sides ( Ross County ) have full points at this stage.  Not sure what that tells us but there you go. 

Probably that out with Celtic the SPL will be complete rubbish again in the 2018-19 season!  There will be a comfortable gap from them to Rangers then to Aberdeen/Hibs then 7 beyond mediocre teams. Where Hearts fall is open to debate but likely to be above the total gash and fighting to compete with Aberdeen/Hibs. 5th the most likely outcome which is basically bottom of our own league within a league given resources and support etc. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Right back Smith 1-1 fab goal. But in reality Craig Levein needs to get through to some players that the season has started and some of our younger players need a wee bit of guidence & encouragement from more experienced team-mates. I want Hearts to be full of bad losers and treat a draw as a loss. And i want Hearts to control games and attack with a real threat. Am i wrong ?

Some rant eh !

No. To be fair, Levein seemed disappointed. Much improvement needed. 

...a bit disco

1 moment that infuriated the shite out of me.

When we were supposed to be pushing for the winner, Souttar plays a pass to Morrison (?) out on the wing then indicates that he should play the ball back the way, rather than have a go at making progress upfield.

Wasn't surprised in the slightest when the crowd reacted negatively to that and, quite frankly, who could blame us?

Absolute shite yesterday. Early doors I realise but it was the same dull boring football yesterday. 

Not a fan of this 3 at the back either. Our Three centre backs just knocking it about with no urgency to get it forward. The midfield trio were very underwhelming as well. The wing backs absolute pish. Lafferty and Naismith looked like they had never seen each other before! The keeper is a bombscare We need to get Doyle in as soon as possible.

We need to see a huge improvement. 13 odd players brought in and already it looks as bad as last season. 

7 hours ago, Elmore said:

Sign less players like Mulraney etc and we could be signing players like Mallen. Do you think that we improve the players we sign?  Provide evidence of the players we have signed and then coached to a better level. 

You keep going on about Mallan.

He is a bit of a gamble for Hibs a player who has lost his way in England and come back up here with his tail between his legs.

He might turn out OK for them but it's too early to say.

The way you are talking anyone would think he was a 10 million wonder kid.

Yesterday was poor but I'm still of the opinion we will have a good season.

Perhaps not the LC though that is now out of our hands.

4 4 2 has always been my favourite formation. 3 centre backs marking one lone striker is madness and leaves us open to being out played at times by lesser teams. I know you have to play to your players strengths but i really haven't seen any evidence of playing in an acceptable style where our fans can say we're on the right lines.

Just now, luckydug said:

You keep going on about Mallan.

He is a bit of a gamble for Hibs a player who has lost his way in England and come back up here with his tail between his legs.

He might turn out OK for them but it's too early to say.

The way you are talking anyone would think he was a 10 million wonder kid.

Yesterday was poor but I'm still of the opinion we will have a good season.

Perhaps not the LC though that is now out of our hands.

Giving wages to a player like Mallan who has done it in this league, has to be better than giving wages to the likes of Mulraney and Callaghan. If not Malian, those two wages could go to bringing in someone like Holt. One player who has done it in this league or two players need time to adapt?  If Mulraney needs time to adapt, let him do it in the reserves. Struggling to understand playing a guy who couldn't get into the Inverness team in his natural position, in a role he hasn't played before.  After all these signings we can't be short of options.   

...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Giving wages to a player like Mallan who has done it in this league, has to be better than giving wages to the likes of Mulraney and Callaghan. If not Malian, those two wages could go to bringing in someone like Holt. One player who has done it in this league or two players need time to adapt?  If Mulraney needs time to adapt, let him do it in the reserves. Struggling to understand playing a guy who couldn't get into the Inverness team in his natural position, in a role he hasn't played before.  After all these signings we can't be short of options.   

He's only played 25 games in the top flight, with 4 goals.

57 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Ross County got relegated last year didn’t they? Tells us that no team is up to scratch yet I guess. 

rick witter
4 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Tried and tested Premier League players. I’ve said it so many times. 

Hibs sign them. Aberdeen sign them but we choose a different route and it never seems to work out. Early days this season but the signs are not good. No craft or creativity to break a league one team down says it all really. 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Ross County got relegated last year didn’t they? Tells us that no team is up to scratch yet I guess. 

Yes, I forgot. 

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

4 4 2 has always been my favourite formation. 3 centre backs marking one lone striker is madness and leaves us open to being out played at times by lesser teams. I know you have to play to your players strengths but i really haven't seen any evidence of playing in an acceptable style where our fans can say we're on the right lines.

Hello Mike Bassett.

40 minutes ago, Beats said:

Absolute shite yesterday. Early doors I realise but it was the same dull boring football yesterday. 

Not a fan of this 3 at the back either. Our Three centre backs just knocking it about with no urgency to get it forward. The midfield trio were very underwhelming as well. The wing backs absolute pish. Lafferty and Naismith looked like they had never seen each other before! The keeper is a bombscare We need to get Doyle in as soon as possible.

We need to see a huge improvement. 13 odd players brought in and already it looks as bad as last season. 

Totally agree. Struggled to see the difference between the lacklustre Cathro performances and yesterday’s shambles. 

The team we were up against were of an exceptionally poor standard, which makes yesterday’s performance even worse. 

As for Mulraney - parachuted in to the first team from the ICT bench ?? Going to be a horrid season

Edited by jambomjm74

1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

Totally agree. Struggled to see the difference between the lacklustre Cathro performances and yesterday’s shambles. 

The team we were up against were of an exceptionally poor standard, which makes yesterday’s performance even worse. 

As for Mulraney - parachuted in to the first team from the ICT bench ?? Going to be a horrid season

The ICT staff at our game yesterday are completely bewildered that Mulraney is at Hearts never mind starting in our first team in a must win game. And that’s directly from the horses mouth. Another totally sub par signing amongst what appears to be another pish poor window. 

Dagger Is Back

The only thing more disappointing than the performance and result, is the reaction of the apologists.

It’s like a pre season friendly

It takes time to bed players in

The pitch was rotten

The atmosphere in the ground was awful

442 is better than 352

Other top flight teams are struggling too

Blah blah blah

Drawing over 90 minutes away against Raith, should never be acceptable in any circumstances. If people are prepared to accept that level of performance and try to ‘justify’ it with these pathetic excuses, then we should resign ourselves to continued medicroity.

TyphoonJambo
22 minutes ago, magicTs said:

The ICT staff at our game yesterday are completely bewildered that Mulraney is at Hearts never mind starting in our first team in a must win game. And that’s directly from the horses mouth. Another totally sub par signing amongst what appears to be another pish poor window. 

So what else did Robbo say?

7 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

The only thing more disappointing than the performance and result, is the reaction of the apologists.

It’s like a pre season friendly

It takes time to bed players in

The pitch was rotten

The atmosphere in the ground was awful

442 is better than 352

Other top flight teams are struggling too

Blah blah blah

Drawing over 90 minutes away against Raith, should never be acceptable in any circumstances. If people are prepared to accept that level of performance and try to ‘justify’ it with these pathetic excuses, then we should resign ourselves to continued medicroity.

But that is exactly what has happened at Hearts. Not just from the fans. Levein is happy to go away from home against anyone and come away with a point. Hearts have gone soft in all aspects of the club and that is of no doubt.

1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

So what else did Robbo say?

Must of been the only comment they made as its been posted multiple times. Either that or hasn’t got the reaction wanted.

Mulraney has some pace abd a directness we lacked , got a ping too but need a better final ball. Hopefully we can develop that.

8 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

But that is exactly what has happened at Hearts. Not just from the fans. Levein is happy to go away from home against anyone and come away with a point. Hearts have gone soft in all aspects of the club and that is of no doubt.

Bang on.

We are a pussy of a club now. More concerned with lecturing the fans on swearing and a few naughty songs than being winners on the park.

We were told Levein was going to be more adventurous away from home. There has been zero evidence of this so far. We deserve so much better than this nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Beats said:

Bang on.

We are a pussy of a club now. More concerned with lecturing the fans on swearing and a few naughty songs than being winners on the park.

We were told Levein was going to be more adventurous away from home. There has been zero evidence of this so far. We deserve so much better than this nonsense. 

You know weve played two games away from home and they were polar opposites as performances?

Just now, sadj said:

You know weve played two games away from home and they were polar opposites as performances?

We beat a pub team 2-1 and drew against a team who had the previous week lost against the side who finished bottom of league 2 last season. Hold me back mate. 

Guest Paul Allen
1 hour ago, Beats said:

Totally agree. The warning signs were there midweek against Cove and the fears were only compounded yesterday. Quantity over quality with the revolving door policy for signing a whole new team each and every transfer window. It’s telling that a teenage Academy graduate (Morrison) has been arguably our biggest positive to take from the opening two games. Feels like it’ll be a long and dull season ahead, sadly.

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Thing is, Hearts u17s should be able to go and skelp Cove 5-0. And that isn't being disrespectful to the opposition that is what i would expect from our standard of youngster and coaches and the fact we are a full time football team.

Our first team should be playing walking football against the likes of Cove.

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, Elmore said:

Holt? As in Jason? 

kirkierobroy

I did warn you guys about Mulraney.

It is very early days, though. You have made a number of other signings that look good to me (esp securing Naismith again), so chins up. I'd be tempted to put Mulraney out on loan, though, as long as it's not to ICT.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, rick witter said:

Tried and tested Premier League players. I’ve said it so many times. 

Hibs sign them. Aberdeen sign them but we choose a different route and it never seems to work out. Early days this season but the signs are not good. No craft or creativity to break a league one team down says it all really. 

Yeah was annoyed that Hibs scooped up Lafferty, Berra and Naismith. Kind of signings we never seem to make. So frustrating.

16 minutes ago, Beats said:

We beat a pub team 2-1 and drew against a team who had the previous week lost against the side who finished bottom of league 2 last season. Hold me back mate. 

Cove are essentially the non league champions , they missed promotion to the league in the last couple of minutes so pub team is harsh. However yes we should be thumping these teams. My point is Cove we were unlucky not to win 6/7-1 that wouldn’t of flattered us. Thats a good starting point.

Yesterday was as poor a performance for 70mins as Cove was good for 65mins. The senior players rightly got ripped for it. I just think the reactions are a bit ott. Do we need to do better - yes undoubtably but we are also no different to every other team in the group stages in dropping points. Spartans drew with St Mirren away , Motherwell drew with Stranraer away etc.  

12 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Thing is, Hearts u17s should be able to go and skelp Cove 5-0. And that isn't being disrespectful to the opposition that is what i would expect from our standard of youngster and coaches and the fact we are a full time football team.

Our first team should be playing walking football against the likes of Cove.

Your unrealistic if you think our u17s would skelp Cove 5-0 away every time. However i agree with the jist of the post. See above though in regards to Cove. 

The two games were quite opposite in terms of performance , yet should of both finished 2-1. 

Cove we will play worse and score more , Raith can we play any worse? 

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Yeah was annoyed that Hibs scooped up Lafferty, Berra and Naismith. Kind of signings we never seem to make. So frustrating.

Clamour to get McGinn last december and he was honking as for Aberdeen. Yes theres some value to it but if our ambition is steady Prem players we have as many problems as if we bring in a load of duds. We wont progress. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, sadj said:

Clamour to get McGinn last december and he was honking as for Aberdeen. Yes theres some value to it but if our ambition is steady Prem players we have as many problems as if we bring in a load of duds. We wont progress. 

Sure Edwards and McLean were meant to be those kind of signings.

Whats the obsession with Stevie Mallan? He may well be decent for Hibs that does not mean he is the messiah and key to success up here , if he was that special then celtic and rangers would of been after him.

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

I did warn you guys about Mulraney.

It is very early days, though. You have made a number of other signings that look good to me (esp securing Naismith again), so chins up. I'd be tempted to put Mulraney out on loan, though, as long as it's not to ICT.

Loan out a player we’ve just signed? Surely not.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Sure Edwards and McLean were meant to be those kind of signings.

Exactly my point tho , there is some value to it but you arent going to progress or show any ambition to progress by a squad full of them. On paper Naismith is a better signing than most Rangers have signed and better than anyone anyone outside Celtic have signed

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Exactly my point tho , there is some value to it but you arent going to progress or show any ambition to progress by a squad full of them. On paper Naismith is a better signing than most Rangers have signed and better than anyone anyone outside Celtic have signed

The Celtic team is largely built on signing experienced players Scottish players. Armstrong, Griffiths, Gordon, Brown and now possibly McGinn. 

• davemclaren locked this topic